Welcome to Gaia! ::

Writer

Belethiel
lmao, you're funny.

What if they use female avatars to model male items? Do you have a problem with that?

It's just a pixel doll. It doesn't have a gender.

It's not just a pixel doll, it's a pixel doll of a male or of a female. Just as real mannequins in real stores are those of a male body or a female body. While that's not important to you it's important to some people.

Some people want to buy clothing that is tailored specifically to one of the genders. You can create counterexamples such as male drag queens, but he has a valid point.

The "do you have a problem with that?" suggests you are self-righteously assuming all the world must agree with you and are therefore out to pick a fight. Just as you have the right to feel the way you do, so do other people have the right to think the way they do. Even if you don't agree with it.

Eloquent Conversationalist

11,600 Points
  • Dressed Up 200
  • Citizen 200
  • Full closet 200
I'm just saying, the heart of the problem doesn't lie in advertising male avatars in girly items. It doesn't actually solve the problem of not having enough male items, I get that. But they absolutely SHOULD be showing off both genders with every new item release regardless of what the item is.

The real solution is to create more manly items (and still show them off on both male and female bases in the advertisements).

Writer

Shin~The ladle monster!
I'm just saying, the heart of the problem doesn't lie in advertising male avatars in girly items. It doesn't actually solve the problem of not having enough male items, I get that. But they absolutely SHOULD be showing off both genders with every new item release regardless of what the item is.

The real solution is to create more manly items (and still show them off on both male and female bases in the advertisements).

I think his point is that some of these items just look hideously inappropriate on the male base unless you're looking to cross-dress or a similar exception. A person out to buy them could simply preview them in Cash Shop.

Writer

Adorkable Monster
I get that MASCULINE items are under represented. I agree with that.

Complaining that certain genders shouldn't wear certain items just makes you sound *thinks nice words* ignorant?

Cross dressing is more fun on gaia than it is in the real world. Can you guess my Avi's gender? I'm perdy~

Yes, everybody that's not far-left is "ignorant." Nobody could have any reason for disagreeing with you other than being "ignorant."

Maybe YOU'RE ignorant for self-importantly expecting everybody to share your preferences and political talking points on such things?

Eloquent Conversationalist

11,600 Points
  • Dressed Up 200
  • Citizen 200
  • Full closet 200
Quantact
Shin~The ladle monster!

I think his point is that some of these items just look hideously inappropriate on the male base unless you're looking to cross-dress or a similar exception. A person out to buy them could simply preview them in Cash Shop.

Whether he thinks they're hideously inappropriate on a male avatar or not, Gaia is covering it's bases by showing off the item the way it would look on either base for anyone else who might have a differing of opinion. It's marketing, this way they are targeting a wider range of potential paying customers with their advertisement.

Besides, when it is a ridiculously girly item, you can sometimes tell that the staff realizes this. Like the pictures posted here earlier, they put a crazy embarrassed expression on the dude avvie because they figured, yeah, a lot of guys in this outfit would probably be embarrassed. XD

Edit: And actually, he said his point was that putting the male avvies in girly clothes doesn't solve the problem of the lack of male items. I agree. And the answer is, as I said, make more male oriented items.

Deadly Sex Symbol

14,150 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Battle Hardened 150
  • Survivor 150
Just because you can't use items creatively, doesn't mean that Gaia shouldn't try. Two items on my avatar in particular are items geared towards a female avatar.

Though I agree, more "strictly" male items are needed.

Writer

Shin~The ladle monster!
Quantact
Shin~The ladle monster!

Whether he thinks they're hideously inappropriate on a male avatar or not, Gaia is covering it's bases by showing off the item the way it would look on either base for anyone else who might have a differing of opinion. It's marketing, this way they are targeting a wider range of potential paying customers with their advertisement.

Besides, when it is a ridiculously girly item, you can sometimes tell that the staff realizes this. Like the pictures posted here earlier, they put a crazy embarrassed expression on the dude avvie because they figured, yeah, a lot of guys in this outfit would probably be embarrassed. XD

Edit: And actually, he said his point was that putting the male avvies in girly clothes doesn't solve the problem of the lack of male items. I agree. And the answer is, as I said, make more male oriented items.

I think at some point, arguing for the sake of argument has to give way to realities inherent in a sane society.

Gaia has been advertising items for a very, very long time. If you look back, they tended to only place advertised items on bases where it made sense. Something like Mythrill Armor could be placed on any avatar, and was advertised accordingly. Items like Angelic Lace and wedding dresses were generally put on female avatars. It's not homophobia to do this. In real stores there will be male drag queens that buy dresses to wear on the street, but the stores still put dresses on female mannequins. Homophobia would mean to deny them access to the store or to deny them when they seek to buy something. (And yes, I know there's an exception to even that because there are straight men that crossdress to prove a political point.)

I know and agree that there is a percentage of the population that believes that wedding dresses can look good on men. But they are a minority, and even if their opinion is respected, (in the very fact that the items are made so they CAN go on men) it doesn't make sense to advertise items with them in mind rather than the vast majority that'll be buying them.

Wheezing Grabber

13,300 Points
  • The Wolf Within 100
  • Married 100
  • Grunny Rainbow 100
The Body Farm
Oh but they're just showing us that it's 100% OKAY that they don't make a lot of male items because female items are totally equip-able on male bases!!!!!!!1

Holy s**t man, your avatar! And Gaia hasn't sent you anything about it? Well they did make the items.

Magic Warrior

I got annoyed at it too, but I'm not sure it's for the same reason as you.
I get you that it feels as if, when we're asking for more masculine clothes, we get a male avatar dressed up in a clearly feminine item as if to say "why are you complaining, males can look fine with this negligé too!".

But I don't think it's that bad to sometimes showcase a male avi in such clothing. I actually think it would be a problem if they didn't do it every now and then.
They just need to make more masculine items. Period.

Sapodilla's Problem

Beloved Sex Symbol

Thats how gaia was originally until the mass majority made them change it. and i think it was for the better not everyone wants a hyper masculine avatar, if you dont like it deal with it, dont use the items. having the option to do so is far better than being restricted

Sapodilla's Problem

Beloved Sex Symbol

Samanthai

They just need to make more masculine items. Period.
this i can agree with.

Shirtless Fairy

I only just noticed today that Gaia's been trying to pass off their feminine items as gender neutral like this until today, thanks to making the bizarre decision to click through my announcements.

It just reinforces my theory that Gaia only likes no-effort short-term solutions to all their problems.

Magical Girl

22,575 Points
  • Noble Shade 100
  • Magical Girl 50
  • Team Jacob 100
Complains about cross dressing avis
Have Greek themed sig/avi

Okay OP

Friendly Citizen

Quantact
Adorkable Monster
I get that MASCULINE items are under represented. I agree with that.

Complaining that certain genders shouldn't wear certain items just makes you sound *thinks nice words* ignorant?

Cross dressing is more fun on gaia than it is in the real world. Can you guess my Avi's gender? I'm perdy~

Yes, everybody that's not far-left is "ignorant." Nobody could have any reason for disagreeing with you other than being "ignorant."

Maybe YOU'RE ignorant for self-importantly expecting everybody to share your preferences and political talking points on such things?
????? I'm sorry that my wording offended you, but surely you understand that if a male avi wants to dress up as whatever gender that is PERFECTLY ok? What I wanted was to convey that judging an avi based on what it wears sounds hateful and ignorant. Sounds. Seems. Appears to be. Maybe not everything is as it appears to be?

"Far-left"
"Self Important"
"Political" agenda?
"You are"

Even if what I had said was meant to be a hurtful label, and I apologize again that you took it that way, you should notice: Have you not just stooped to my level and one farther? Please don't label what people are as definite and exact. It's not compassionate to any of our fellow Gaians and it will only lead to further hate.

Calm down now please. I'm going to continue wearing what I like and having a good time. You should do what makes you happy here too, Gaia is for fun and I'd Rather not fight you. Thank you.

Angelic Blob

Besides the mocking promotional images as of late [way to show you're not addressing feedback artists]. I am disappointed with the artists for not challenging their skills to create neutral / masculine items and instead choose to continue this 'feminine only' reign.

It isn't impossible to create an alternative version of the many female intended items. Where's the male lingerie?

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff