Welcome to Gaia! ::

Tipsy Fatcat

10,850 Points
  • Jack-pot 100
  • Pie For All! 300
  • Bunny Hoarder 150
I promise, this isn't a rant. It's just something to think about.
This, my friends, is a 2012 Honda Accord:
User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.
It's worth around 20,000 dollars.
This is an item we all know very well, the Kiki Kitty Plushie:
User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.
When the Accord was released, it was worth around 1,700,000 gold.
(Keep in mind these are rough estimates)

Let's say, that at some random point between the 2012 release of the car and now (Let's say late 2013/early 2014) the government decides to start selling guaranteed-win lottery tickets that are only available to the citizens who contribute the most money to the government. Assuming they just keeps printing money as the amount of people buying these tickets (understandably) goes up, that means a lot of money is being added to the system, right?

Now, if the government keeps pumping money into the economy at a very quick rate (say, the same rate Gaia has been doing), the cost of everything is going to skyrocket. This is called inflation.
Suddenly, this Honda Accord is worth much more money than before.
Let's use the stats from the Kiki Kitty Plushie to show you just how much.
At the time of this post, this item is going for 4,100,000,000 14,000,000,000 gold on the marketplace. That is about 2,411.65 8,235.29 times what it was two years ago.
If the price of the Honda Accord was 20,000 dollars before inflation, as of right now it would cost a whopping 48,233,000 164,705,800 dollars.

Imagine being a newly graduated high school or college student in this situation.
You're fresh out of school, ready for your new job (whose pay rate hasn't changed, by the way), and you want a reliable used car, say, a 2012 Honda Accord. You obviously can't afford anything fancy, because you're new to adult society.
And then you're told you have to be a multi-millionaire to get even that.
You're probably not going to be very happy, are you?

Tipsy Genius

And that is exactly why I hate when people claim they are "neutral" re: the inflation. Just because some people can get by (either because they buy GC or because they made good investments) doesn't mean every user (or even most of them) has been able to keep up with the inflation. Yes, the cost of everything is inflated proportionately, but people aren't earning more than they were two years ago.

Tipsy Fatcat

10,850 Points
  • Jack-pot 100
  • Pie For All! 300
  • Bunny Hoarder 150
sterek
And that is exactly why I hate when people claim they are "neutral" re: the inflation. Just because some people can get by (either because they buy GC or because they made good investments) doesn't mean every user (or even most of them) has been able to keep up with the inflation. Yes, the cost of everything is inflated proportionately, but people aren't earning more than they were two years ago.
And the new users man, how are they ever going to get anything?
It'd be different if the daily chance started giving out amounts of 60k instead of 25 gold, but that's sadly not the case.

Dapper Member

1,900 Points
  • Dressed Up 200
  • Gaian 50
  • Member 100
it almost feels like someone made the call that if you don't spend real money on this game then you shouldn't be playing neutral

Flint Jakobs's Compadre

Feral Faun

:T Really, the Honda Accord?

that car would be halfway to Mexico where I live because of its incredible ease at being carjacked.

Coincidentally, ggs just keep jacking up the economy.

Makes perfect sense.

IRL Noob

Slick Southpaw

that car would be halfway to Mexico where I live because of its incredible ease at being carjacked.

Makes perfect sense.

Does this mean the Gaian economy needs... lowjack? emotion_dealwithit

Tipsy Fatcat

10,850 Points
  • Jack-pot 100
  • Pie For All! 300
  • Bunny Hoarder 150
Slick Southpaw

Makes perfect sense.
Haha there wasn't any rhyme or reason as to why I chose that one, it was just the first that popped into my mind.
But you're totally right lol

Bloblike Cutie-Pie

Another way to put it into prospective is that the cost of a typical college semester is about $8,000 per semester for in-state students.

Multiply that by our rate of inflation here on gaia... it would cost $19,293,200 to attend one semester at a state university. Debt for life x 100

Divine Snack

Yeah, but eventually your income would increase as much as the price of the car, so in real life it wouldn't really matter. Your income will adapt to the amount of money that's circling the system. The only thing that suffers from a heavy inflation irl, is your savings.
It's the payout from the games on Gaia that do not follow the inflation, which makes the non paying Gaians suffer.
This is such a great example it's hilarious. Thank you!

Trash Immortal

L-Junice
Yeah, but eventually your income would increase as much as the price of the car, so in real life it wouldn't really matter. Your income will adapt to the amount of money that's circling the system. The only thing that suffers from a heavy inflation irl, is your savings.
It's the payout from the games on Gaia that do not follow the inflation, which makes the non paying Gaians suffer.

Income will increase.

Pardon me while I go laugh.

Have you looked at the minimum wage lately? How hard it is to get even that lifted? That argument is complete BS.

Tipsy Fatcat

10,850 Points
  • Jack-pot 100
  • Pie For All! 300
  • Bunny Hoarder 150
L-Junice
This is exactly what I'm getting at.
Unless you already had items when the inflation began (think, investments), you'd be left stranded in the water with gold that's basically useless.
The inflation would be okay if there were ways for new users to compensate, but there aren't at the moment.
LilTigre
L-Junice

Income will increase.

Have you looked at the minimum wage lately? How hard it is to get even that lifted? That argument is complete BS.
Well, in Australia her theory is applicable.

Divine Snack

LilTigre
L-Junice

Income will increase.

Um we are talking about extreme inflation here. Your country suffers from extreme inflation? Otherwise there won't be much of a change of your wage o3o It's not hard to get it lifted if you know the right things to say to your boss though pirate

Frightful Rogue

17,525 Points
  • Frozen Sleuth 100
  • Hunter 50
  • Survivor 150
2,411.65 times the price? on the brighter side, we aren't getting as bad inflation as the confederacy was getting during the american civil war. but back to the true topic on hand, that's still a big price jump.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff