Welcome to Gaia! ::

I would like to think that I would support her regardless of her decision, but I think it's something that you don't know what you would do until you are actually in that situation. I'm a 19 year old university student (to become a registered nurse) and I would like to think that if I were to get pregnant that I would abort it. But I wouldn't be surprised if I changed my mind if and when I'm in that situation. If I ever have a daughter, I would try my hardest to make sure that she feels comfortable talking to me about sex and ensure that she knows about the different contraception methods. You can't simply tell a teenager, no madder how young, not to have sex, we can make our disapproval as evident as we want but it won't change much. If it means putting my 13 or 14 year old on birth control, then so be it.

Invisible Conversationalist

9,950 Points
  • Happy Birthday! 100
  • Bunny Spotter 50
  • Brandisher 100
I'd support my children no matter what. Nothing good happens from forcing an abortion.

Indomitable Nerd

i dont think a parent should be able to force a child to have an abortion (or for anyone to be forced for that matter) nor do i think anyone should be forced to carry the child. To me, that is inflicting a trauma.

Now, if it were my child, and they became pregnant, I think my response would very much depend on the maturity of the child, and there would be a LOT of heavy discussions we would need to have about what each choice would involve, and how their life would change. From there, it is their choice, and I will do my best to make sure they are still a successful individual and if their choice is to parent, I will do my best to enable their good parenting.
The Forbidden Soul
User Image
User ImageUser Image

Every person should have the right to decide what happens to their body.

User ImageUser Image

I know you have the "should" there, but I don't believe you actually would be all right with that in practice. If every person had the right to do decide what happened to their bodies, a lot of laws would be broken.

More on topic with this thread, sure, let's say the daughter had the right to become pregnant at a young and inexperienced age. She also then has the right to accept the possibility of being kicked out of the house and be forced into adulthood.

Lupine Labtech

If I had a kid who got knocked up at a young age, I'd just support them in whatever their choice. I'd tell them to think about it before making a rapid decision and then support them in what they truly want.

Beloved Lunatic

10,800 Points
  • Generous 100
  • Gender Swap 100
  • Tooth Fairy 100
While I support every woman's right to choose I will never pay for an abortion. If I had a teen age daughter who had money saved up she could pay for her own abortion. I'd try to talk her out of it, to give the baby up for adoption or keep it, but ultimately if she can afford the abortion it is her choice. However I don't anticipate that as I will be thorough in teaching my children about safe sex from a very early age.
You can't really answer a question like that without knowing how your mindset would be in the future. sweatdrop

Questionable Sex Symbol

9,250 Points
  • Somebody Likes You 100
  • Conversationalist 100
  • Popular Thread 100
I would help her raise the child.

Lonely Poster

8,850 Points
  • Lavish Tipper 200
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Cool Cat 500
I'd strongly advise an abortion, but it's ultimately up to them.

Liberal Receiver

This is a really difficult question. It really depends on the child.
If I had a daughter that wasn't responsible, didn't even have a clue who the dad was, already skipped out on caring for pets, or neglected to maintain a C average in school, she'd likely have a PINS put on her, and yes, I'd likely try to have the fetus aborted if she didn't show actual efforts of doing a 180. It's wrong to make an unborn human suffer negligence simply so they will be born. I'd rather a crack addict get an abortion than either deliver a crack-addicted baby and put them up for adoption, or deliver a crack-addicted baby and abuse the child.

If they were responsible in every other right, just had a contraception bork or what-have-you, then I'd have to hear her out and what her plans are. If her plans are both reasonable, and seem feasible, then I'd let her have her choice, but would strongly suggest an adoption. If that was totally out of the question, I would offer my help during school or work hours, but I am not going to take care of a child that I didn't plan for, did not want, and is not mine all the time.
Let's say in this situation, my daughter maintained a C average or greater, didn't drink often(and vowed to not drink at all during pregnancy.), didn't smoke(Likewise, vowed to stop during pregnancy), didn't/doesn't/will not do drugs, and either had/has a job, or goes to summer school/gets their GED when discovering they are pregnant and want to keep the child.
Bonus points if she knows who the father is and he's willing to help in any minute way.

ON THE FLIPSIDE;
If my son(who I actually have.) got a girl pregnant within 9 to 15 years from now(ages 13-19) I would not let him ignore his child. At least, not let him do that and live with me. This is the only exception where I would help the mother as much as could, particularly if she is still in school.
I'm not sure how all the mechanics would work until such an event occurs, but I'd sure as ******** be pissed about it if he tried to play it off as he didn't have a son. ******** that, then I don't have a son.
Completely support them in whatever choice they make, but I will have the sex talk with my children and enforce they can talk to me about ANYTHING, I will not judge them.

tamtonica's Partner

Hygienic Bibliophile

8,300 Points
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
  • Tycoon 200
  • Millionaire 200
Like someone said before me, it greatly depends on the girl and also on her age.
If my daughter was 13 and pregnant the situation would be a completely different one than if she was 17.

That being said, I wouldn't force an abortion on anyone, certainly not my own daughter. I don't think anything gives a person that right.

I would try my hardest to support her with whatever decision she makes. This includes talking to doctors and counselors with her to enable her to make a decision in the first place.

Ultimately, I'd help her with the baby, because really, if a girl gets pregnant at that age, more often than not her parents are at least partly to blame.
Not to offend anyone, though, an underage girl getting pregnant doesn't have to be an "accident" or treated as a crime. There are many teen moms who are taking care of their children just fine and there's nothing shameful about getting pregnant at a young age.
However, I think all those girls need their parents' support, at least financially, because they are usually still in school and babies cost money, simple as that.

No, I wouldn't make my daughter, not even my 13-year-old daughter, have an abortion. The effect it might have on her life could be worse than getting a baby and I personally don't think it is right to be able to decide on such important matters without the girl's consent.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff