< 1 2 3 4 >

Mora Starseed's Husband

Intellectual Combatant

11,225 Points
  • Battle: Mage 100
  • Unfortunate Abductee 175
  • Mark Twain 100
OK, because I just realized this:

User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.
Happy Father's Day... crying

Genius

Arcoon Effox
OK, because I just realized this:

Happy Father's Day... crying

... OMG. Dead. I'm dead. crying

Distinct Hunter

6,700 Points
  • Contributor 150
  • Elysium's Gatekeeper 100
  • Forum Explorer 100
first one was beautiful, i haven't watched the second yet ;/
I should soon, was it really that bad o.o? The trailer seemed awesome,but I felt it gave too much away sweatdrop

Mora Starseed's Husband

Intellectual Combatant

11,225 Points
  • Mark Twain 100
Simple Ploy
I should soon, was it really that bad o.o? The trailer seemed awesome,but I felt it gave too much away sweatdrop
IMO, it's a good movie, but it takes for granted that you've seen the first one, and have been active on it's website. There's no exposition whatsoever about the new dragons, the bad guy has no backstory (nor in-movie explanation as to how he got his trump-card), and almost everyone other than Hiccup and his parents have been reduced to tertiary characters. Snotlout, Fishlegs & Tuffnut have been reduced to comic relief - and, granted, they're kind of that in the first one, but at no point do they get to really shine to the point they did in the first. I don't even remember Tuffnut saying anything that wasn't either a joke or a set-up for one.

The first half of the movie approaches being as good as the first one, and then... Well, then it stops doing so.

Caring Vet

21,250 Points
  • Pet Lover 100
  • Bunny Hoarder 150
  • Cats vs Dogs 100
I agree. Sure, there were some good moments in the movie, like
when Hiccup regained control of Toothless and Toothless challenged and won against the Alpha, but overall, it just paled severely in comparison to the first one.
Simple Ploy

Dreamworks apparently doesn't have a very good advertising department. Valka and Stoick's reaction to seeing Valka were two things that the director didn't want people to know until they saw the movie. :/
It sucks, too, 'cause the reveal with Valka would have been amazing to experience WITH Hiccup. Blah.

Magical Fairy

20,300 Points
  • Caroling Champ 100
  • Snowball Hero 200
  • Frozen Solid 200
I thought the same, too. I also felt the movie was too short? Or maybe it was because I walked into the movie a little late and missed part of the beginning that I thought it was short (came in during the dragon racing). Even though there were some comedic parts and a sad scene, it felt lacking compared to the first film. The villain also didn't strike me as a very good villain, either.

Mora Starseed's Husband

Intellectual Combatant

11,225 Points
  • Mark Twain 100
Sakura Latte
I thought the same, too. I also felt the movie was too short?
You're not the only person who thought that.

Sakura Latte
Or maybe it was because I walked into the movie a little late and missed part of the beginning that I thought it was short (came in during the dragon racing).
That is the beginning. There's the Dreamworks logo (sans Toothless' silhouette this time), Hiccup's traditional "this is Berk" voiceover (which goes on for maybe 20 seconds), and then the dragon races.

Sakura Latte
The villain also didn't strike me as a very good villain, either.
Villains without back-stories are rarely good villains.
I like what the sequel focused on.

Not only did they expand the world itself, but they added darker factors to it (and weren't afraid to show it to the kids the movie's meant for! Like when the initial battle started in the end and the bad guys set off dragon traps, there was one dragon that totally had its wing caught when the thing snapped shut).

Also, it revolved around Hiccup growing older and having to step up and take his responsibilities; it revolved around family bonds and thinking for oneself and not just following the crowd... I really like what they did with the story, basically. They really fleshed out and expanded on the things I had been asking questions on in the first movie, while keeping the comedy strong (Ruffnut, man).

Not only was the story good, but the animation was superb. SUPERB. HUGE step up from the first movie, though both were animated beautifully. And as usual, the soundtrack was Oscar worthy! They added new elements to the old theme and kept it going strong, rather than straying off the path!!

Mora Starseed's Husband

Intellectual Combatant

11,225 Points
  • Mark Twain 100
Aomines
Not only did they expand the world itself...
Having a picture of a map does not mean the in-movie world has expanded. Sure there's a lot of islands on that map, but now think about the new places we actually go in the film: "Itchy Armpit Island", the Alpha's den, a few boats, and a dragon-proofed Berk. That's it.

The series gave us more expansion to the archipelago - and it actually focused on any new dragons that were introduced, instead of just reducing them to scenery.
Aomines
...they added darker factors to it and weren't afraid to show it to the kids the movie's meant for! Like when the initial battle started in the end and the bad guys set off dragon traps, there was one dragon that totally had its wing caught when the thing snapped shut.
Okay, yes. The thing with Stoick (and who causes it) is definitely "darker" - but now think of the Bewilderbeast vs Alpha fight: When the lethal blow is struck, we're given a cut that feels like TVY7 editing, and the winner comes away with his tusks not having a drop of blood on them. Additionally, the enormous corpse of that thing is never seen again, in spite of having several more events happen within its proximity. (Also, Valka not reacting more to its demise or saying 'goodbye' to it bugs me, as she revered it almost like a god.)

BTW, what species was that dragon that got caught in the snap-trap? I hope it wasn't one of the new ones, because if it was then most people probably won't even know...
Aomines
Also, it revolved around Hiccup growing older and having to step up and take his responsibilities...
Certainly one of its greater merits.
Aomines
...it revolved around family bonds and thinking for oneself and not just following the crowd...
The former, yes, but I must have missed the latter happening... unless you're referring to the Alpha's compulsion over the other dragons? If so, that's tantamount to mind control, so I'm pretty sure it doesn't count.
Aomines
They really fleshed out and expanded on the things I had been asking questions on in the first movie...
What things did they flesh out that weren't made clear in the first movie? Valka's the only thing I can think of...
Aomines
while keeping the comedy strong (Ruffnut, man).
Okay, the whole Ruffnut-Fantasizing-About-Eret thing was amusing (though I find it funny for other reasons than most people), but now give me some stuff that was funny that didn't have to do with that sub-plot. Better yet, give me a single line that wasn't a throw-away by Tuffnut, Snotlout or Fishlegs that didn't involve it, other than the latter asking about whether Hiccup found any new dragons, and basically getting ignored. (Come to think of it, I kinda feel for him on that...)
Aomines
Not only was the story good, but the animation was superb. SUPERB. HUGE step up from the first movie, though both were animated beautifully.
Agreed. The new designs were excellent, and the flight scenes were badass. (The last one also contained pretty much the only blatant callback to the first film: Hiccup and Toothless are skimming the Alpha's tail and Hiccup says, "Oh, not again".)
Aomines
And as usual, the soundtrack was Oscar worthy! They added new elements to the old theme and kept it going strong, rather than straying off the path!!
Meh. It mostly felt like remixes of the first movie's themes, to me. All of the "dark" scenes (particularly the one involving Stoick) had completely forgettable music, as I can't remember a single piece that evoked any feeling for me - and I'm not the only person who thought so.

Mora Starseed's Husband

Intellectual Combatant

11,225 Points
  • Mark Twain 100
The first two weekends since the movie's been out have come and gone, so I'm changing the poll, now. Here's the results of the first one:

Was HTTYD2 better than the first one?
Yes, the sequel was better: 43.4% [ 53 Votes ]
No, the first one was better: 56.6% [ 69 Votes ]
Total Votes: [ 122 ]

Now I'm going to ask about something else I think is significant: the bad guys.

Most people, in various reviews of the movie, have commented that Drago ranges from "sort of a bland villain" to a "wannabe evil Hiccup" to "a completely uninteresting waste of film", so I'd like to know who you think was the best villain in the series thus far.

I picked who I thought were the biggest antagonists: Red Death & Drago from the movies, and Dagur & Screaming Death from the series. I seriously considered including Stoick from the first movie, as he sort of was its primary antagonist and all, but ultimately decided he wasn't its villain. I also debated including Alvin the Treacherous... but he was always more of a rabble-rouser than an actual villain, and he's not even that, anymore.

For those of you who are unfamiliar with these entities, here's a brief overview:
The Red Death
From the first film. Ultimately responsible for the hostilities between vikings and dragons.

Drago Bloodvist
From the second film. Sort of an evil version of Hiccup. Can control even the largest dragons by screaming at them.

Dagur the Deranged
From the series. Killed his father to become chief of the Berserker tribe. Surprisingly cunning for a total psychopath.

Screaming Death
From the series. A massive mutation of a Whispering Death. Can destroy entire islands by digging through their foundations.
So, which was the best villain...?

EDIT: I goofed; I actually listed Whispering Death instead of Screaming Death in the poll. This has been corrected, but as a result the poll got reset. Add +3 for Drago, +2 for Dagur & +1 for the Anglerfish From Hell for the accurate results.
I'm tempted to pick Dagur just because I love Dagur.

Mora Starseed's Husband

Intellectual Combatant

11,225 Points
  • Mark Twain 100
MooMooJuice
I voted for him. He's certainly the most fun villain to watch in the franchise.
Arcoon Effox
MooMooJuice

Did he remind you of Syndrome from The Incredibles or is that just me?

Mora Starseed's Husband

Intellectual Combatant

11,225 Points
  • Mark Twain 100
MooMooJuice
Arcoon Effox
MooMooJuice

Did he remind you of Syndrome from The Incredibles or is that just me?
To an extent, certainly...

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces