The Red Death 0.2 20.0% [ 6 ]
Drago Bloodvist 0.36666666666667 36.7% [ 11 ]
Dagur the Deranged 0.23333333333333 23.3% [ 7 ]
The Screaming Death 0.2 20.0% [ 6 ]
Total Votes:[ 30 ]
< 1 2 3 4 >

Hearts_Are_Cold
MooMooJuice

For real. I spent half the movie bewildered by Gobber's Big-Salamander-Gronkle-Dragon. I really want to see more of the Dragons and such.

I'm stoked for the HTTYD2 art book. And I think it would be really cool if they released like a 'dragon guide' for all the dragons they showed and didn't explain.

Also, maybe I just need to watch the series more. But Thunderdrums' size-differences were interesting. In what I've seen about the show, Stoick almost crushed Thornado because he wasn't much larger than Stoick himself. But then in the opening scene, Toothless glides under the wing of what looked like a Thunderdrum to me, and Toothless's entire wingspan doesn't match that of just one of its' wings. Is Thornado just a baby?

I guess I have to get caught up on the show.

And awwww, I dunno about that.

They were definitely a group of thunderdrums. I really couldn't say about the size difference..
Perhaps it was young, or perhaps the TV directors took some liberties with its size.

Mora Starseed's Husband

Intellectual Combatant

11,225 Points
  • Battle: Mage 100
  • Unfortunate Abductee 175
  • Mark Twain 100
MooMooJuice
One in particular: is (Toothless) indeed the last of his kind and why? It's a thing that's mentioned and poked at again and again.
Another thing stated repeatedly is that nobody's ever killed a Night Fury. Bearing that in mind, where the hells are the rest of them?

Also, @ the thread: now that we're on page 2, I don't think Spoilering everything is necessary anymore 3nodding
Arcoon Effox
MooMooJuice
One in particular: is (Toothless) indeed the last of his kind and why? It's a thing that's mentioned and poked at again and again.
Another thing stated repeatedly is that nobody's ever killed a Night Fury. Bearing that in mind, where the hells are the rest of them?

Also, @ the thread: now that we're on page 2, I don't think Spoilering everything is necessary anymore 3nodding

Well that kind of goes with the 'why' question. What made them die out?

Robotic Exhibitionist

I really liked it, but the ending felt rushed.

Mora Starseed's Husband

Intellectual Combatant

11,225 Points
  • Mark Twain 100
MooMooJuice
Arcoon Effox
MooMooJuice

Well that kind of goes with the 'why' question. What made them die out?
Exactly. We know that vikings aren't responsible, and the only time I've ever seen Toothless lose a fight was against the Whispering Death (and that was more of a retreat), so...

~~~

Bampot
I really liked it, but the ending felt rushed.
What about it did you like? I really want to like it, but I'm having a hard time finding things about it that were better than the first one...

Horridon's Spouse

Romantic Shapeshifter

Hearts_Are_Cold
MooMooJuice

For real. I spent half the movie bewildered by Gobber's Big-Salamander-Gronkle-Dragon. I really want to see more of the Dragons and such.

I'm stoked for the HTTYD2 art book. And I think it would be really cool if they released like a 'dragon guide' for all the dragons they showed and didn't explain.
I think that Grump might have been a "Titan Wing" Gronkle.
In the "Book of Dragons" short they mention the stages of Gronkles and Fishlegs that a Titan Wing Gronkle is very rare. So that may explain the "different kind of Gronkle" comment.

I have the Art book and not much is said about Grump other than he is a member of the Gronkle family.

Horridon's Spouse

Romantic Shapeshifter

User Image
"I ʟᴏᴏᴋᴇᴅ ᴀᴛ ʜɪᴍ,"
╔══════════════════╗
x
I enjoyed the movie a lot. Although it felt kinda rushed in the beginning. That might be because I was literally watching all the clips and featurettes that I could and pretty much spoiled the first half of the movie sweatdrop
I did kinda feel like Drago was kind of a weak antagonist. Ok you're going to use the dragons, which you hate, to control people? Gotcha.
I was disappointed that the rest of the cast kinda got pushed onto the back burner especially the twins and Fishlegs.

I don't really have anything bad to say about the climax. I enjoyed it.
I cried like a baby at Stoic's death and the part where Hiccup was trying to snap Toothless out of Draco's Bewilderbeast's control
Toothless' ability to glow blue was shown in the TV series xD the Frightmare episode to be exact, but it wasn't because of him it was because of the algae in the water.

After all the other dragons bowed to Toothless, that smug look on his face just made me think: "oh no, I hope he doesn't turn into how he is in the books." But I doubt that he will.

Overall I loved the movie and plan to see it again, several times. I loved how the dragons overall where more expressive in this movie compared to the first.
Stormfly sitting on Eret like a bird, Zippleback flaming cartwheels of death, and Toothless overall.

x
╚══════════════════╝
"Aɴᴅ I sᴀᴡ ᴍʏsᴇʟғ."
User Image

Shirtless Raider

I've got to say I enjoyed it a lot. I thought it had a great story line and built on the first one. I greatly enjoyed the music and amazing animation. Overall, I thought it was a fantastic sequel.

Robotic Exhibitionist

Arcoon Effox
What about it did you like? I really want to like it, but I'm having a hard time finding things about it that were better than the first one...

Try to not compare it to the first film and just enjoy it by itself. Personally, I just thought it was a cute story and I liked seeing Hiccup's family reunited, even if it was only for a short period of time. My biggest problems were the lackluster climax and the lame villain.

Mora Starseed's Husband

Intellectual Combatant

11,225 Points
  • Mark Twain 100
Chiisana Tantei
Hearts_Are_Cold
MooMooJuice

I think that Grump might have been a "Titan Wing" Gronkle.
Apparently he's a "Hotburple". Oh, and Skullcrusher is a "Rumblehorn".

Other new dragons which have species names (though I don't remember hearing them in the film) include Hobblegrunts, Snafflefangs, Raincutters, Scuttleclaws (the baby dragons), and Seashockers - but there are several more who remain anonymous.

~~~

Bampot
Arcoon Effox
Try to not compare it to the first film and just enjoy it by itself.
I was trying to do that, which is why I'm having a hard time liking it sweatdrop

There were so many elements on-screen with no explanation (new dragons, Hiccup having that cool flame sword but lacking that cool shield, how the hell Drago captured that Bewilderbeast, anything resembling a backstory for Eret, etc), and several a**-pulls that they tried to pass off as always having been that way (Hiccup's scar, Gobber being gay, Valka being rather svelte contradicting the 'mother's breastplate' gag from the first movie, etc).
Bampot
Personally, I just thought it was a cute story and I liked seeing Hiccup's family reunited, even if it was only for a short period of time.
Yeah, that felt like all of five minutes, didn't it...? It felt to me like they just exchanged Hiccup's dad for his mom.
Bampot
My biggest problems were the lackluster climax and the lame villain.
By "lackluster", you mean how Toothless suddenly glowing like Godzilla and having infinite shots + crit hax besting a generally immobile target wasn't as cool (or cinematic) as the aerial fight against Red Death from the first one...?

Concerning Drago: The reason he was lackluster IMO is because we really don't know anything about him. All we know is that he 'can't be reasoned with', can control dragons by screaming at them and spinning around a stick, and that he lost his family (and arm) to dragons. Given that we "didn't see the body", he'll likely be returning for the third movie - especially if my theory is correct.
Arcoon Effox

Drago found the Bewilderbeast as a baby and raised it. That's why it obeys him despite being much larger and stronger now.

Hiccup's scar WAS always there. It's not as apparent in the first movie (you can only really see it in certain lighting), but it's definitely there.

Why is gobber being gay such a big deal. No one seems to mind snoutlout and fishlegs flaunting that they are straight. But one mention of Gobber's sexuality and people go crazy over it. You realize the director himself is gay. Is it so wrong to want to have some kind of representation for yourself in the movie you created? True, it's not relevant in the story, but not all character development is. Most of the time it's just there so the audience can feel a better connection with that character. All they were doing was expanding Gobber's character.

Mora Starseed's Husband

Intellectual Combatant

11,225 Points
  • Mark Twain 100
MooMooJuice
Arcoon Effox

Drago found the Bewilderbeast as a baby and raised it. That's why it obeys him despite being much larger and stronger now.

Hiccup's scar WAS always there. It's not as apparent in the first movie (you can only really see it in certain lighting), but it's definitely there.

Why is gobber being gay such a big deal. No one seems to mind snoutlout and fishlegs flaunting that they are straight. But one mention of Gobber's sexuality and people go crazy over it. You realize the director himself is gay. Is it so wrong to want to have some kind of representation for yourself in the movie you created? True, it's not relevant in the story, but not all character development is. Most of the time it's just there so the audience can feel a better connection with that character. All they were doing was expanding Gobber's character.
CC Drago: I know that he found it when it was small, because the website said so - not because the movie did, which was the point I was trying to make.

CC Hiccup's scar & Gobber: I know that the scar on his chin is in the first movie; it's really noticeable on the BluRay. I'm saying that the story of how he got it, as presented in the sequel, was a total a**-pull.

Another blatant a**-pull was keeping an ad-libbed line that Craig Furguson quipped during recording, and capitalizing on it to make the claim that the Gobber is gay (again, with the implication being that this was the plan from the beginning). That's lazy and dishonest IMO.

Also, just to clear something up: Gobber's orientation doesn't mean jack to me, and nothing in what I said suggested that I was "going crazy" about it, so stop going crazy over it yourself by jumping to conclusions and assuming I'm saying something I'm not.
Arcoon Effox
MooMooJuice
Arcoon Effox

CC Drago: I know that he found it when it was small, because the website said so - not because the movie did, which was the point I was trying to make.

CC Hiccup's scar & Gobber: I know that the scar on his chin is in the first movie; it's really noticeable on the BluRay. I'm saying that the story of how he got it, as presented in the sequel, was a total a**-pull.

Another blatant a**-pull was keeping an ad-libbed line that Craig Furguson quipped during recording, and capitalizing on it to make the claim that the Gobber is gay (again, with the implication being that this was the plan from the beginning). That's lazy and dishonest IMO.

Also, just to clear something up: Gobber's orientation doesn't mean jack to me, and nothing in what I said suggested that I was "going crazy" about it, so stop going crazy over it yourself by jumping to conclusions and assuming I'm saying something I'm not.

The way I see it, the second and third movies are connected to each other, as they were greenlighted at the same time. Unlike the first movie which was planned with the thought that it would have to stand on its own, the second and third can be planned as two parts of a whole. The things that were only touched on in the second could very well be expanded on in the third.
Yes, Dean said Drago's coming back, but you have already figured that out.

When making a story, not every little detail is figured out right at the beginning. Changes and new ides come as things are being put together. It happens all the time in storytelling. I can think of a scene in the first movie that came about completely by accident while the scene was being animated. Why is it so important to you that everything has to be set in stone before the work begins? Anyone who has ever written any kind of story knows that it's not how it works. I doubt they even planned to make such a big deal of Hiccup's scar when they put it into his design during the first movie. It was there, and they took advantage of it for the second movie. And there's nothing wrong with that, because that's how writing works.

Mora Starseed's Husband

Intellectual Combatant

11,225 Points
  • Mark Twain 100
MooMooJuice
I can think of a scene in the first movie that came about completely by accident while the scene was being animated.
Out of curiosity, which scene? Link, PLZ.
MooMooJuice
Why is it so important to you that everything has to be set in stone before the work begins? Anyone who has ever written any kind of story knows that it's not how it works.
That and this are two different things. DeBlois didn't come up with the ideas himself, which makes it a big deal because that's what fanfiction writers do.

As an aspiring novelist, I know plot points change, but I also know the difference between authors like Konietzko & DiMartino setting up Katara's necklace way the hell in advance, and authors like Paolini who try to pass off borderline plagiarism as being totally unique and original.
MooMooJuice
The way I see it, the second and third movies are connected to each other, as they were greenlighted at the same time. Unlike the first movie which was planned with the thought that it would have to stand on its own, the second and third can be planned as two parts of a whole.
...like with Pirates of the Caribbean and it's sequels? My hopes just plummeted a bit.
MooMooJuice
I doubt they even planned to make such a big deal of Hiccup's scar when they put it into his design during the first movie. It was there, and they took advantage of it for the second movie.
You mean "he"; only one of the three writers from the first came back for the second - the same guy who decided to exploit Furguson's ad-lib to do something that wasn't ever a part of the story beforehand.

I believe you did choose the right phrase by saying "took advantage of", though, because that's exactly what he did. Using Hiccup's scar in the way it was suggests that it was some sort of Chekov's Gun, and as a writer it's irritating how many people rant about how cool it is that "so many things were set up so far in advance", when in fact all he's doing is basically riding the coattails of others.
MooMooJuice
...there's nothing wrong with that, because that's how writing works.
Eureka Seven AO would like a word with you about there being nothing wrong with that.
Arcoon Effox
MooMooJuice
The way I see it, the second and third movies are connected to each other, as they were greenlighted at the same time. Unlike the first movie which was planned with the thought that it would have to stand on its own, the second and third can be planned as two parts of a whole.
...like with Pirates of the Caribbean and it's sequels? My hopes just plummeted a bit.
MooMooJuice
I doubt they even planned to make such a big deal of Hiccup's scar when they put it into his design during the first movie. It was there, and they took advantage of it for the second movie.
You mean "he"; only one of the three writers from the first came back for the second - the same guy who decided to exploit Furguson's ad-lib to do something that wasn't ever a part of the story beforehand.

I believe you did choose the right phrase by saying "took advantage of", though, because that's exactly what he did. Using Hiccup's scar in the way it was suggests that it was some sort of Chekov's Gun akin to Katara's necklace, and as a writer it's irritating how many people rant about how cool it is that "so many things were set up so far in advance", when in fact all he's doing is basically riding the coattails of others.
MooMooJuice
...there's nothing wrong with that, because that's how writing works.
Eureka Seven AO would like a word with you about there being nothing wrong with that.

Well that's an issue with those fans. It's not an authors problem what other people are inevitably going to assume.

So Dean is utilizing the tools he was given. Like it or not, httyd is his story now. So some of his thoughts and beliefs will inevitably be there.
If you don't like his direction, then, there's nothing else to do.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff