Welcome to Gaia! ::

Liberal Friend

Oyoz
yes*, because chief can call mom and pop and summon a whole damn star wars fleet and that would get out of hand pretty fast. also, that would leave chief vulnerable to something he can't escape. Samus on the other hand can make Dark portals from her Arm Cannon and theoretically jump inside of it lol Master Chief could just armor lock but that'd leave him immovable and vulnerable to the very weapon samus would use to escape the UNSC's ships: her dark portal, which would essentially rip chief apart atom by atom.

Then Samus can do the same with the Galactic Federation if that was the case. Cortana is outside help, a star fleet is outside help, but bringing the gunship into battle is not. It isn't some hard AI, nor does it possess any other type of consciousness. It's a ship that can be commanded. It'd be about as equivalent as jumping into a jet and using it to wreak havoc on people with bullets and missiles.

But this isn't the case because it doesn't seem to be in Samus' character to use the gunship to drop explosives on individuals (though I've done this for fun), unless there are barriers in the way like the shield protecting the Leviathan, or destroying the wall made of maldium, or destroying those machines that jam frequencies. Sure, Samus could use it if she wanted to, so it isn't outside the realm of possibility, but I don't think Samus needs to go that extreme when she can destroy s**t on her own.

Liberal Friend

Milady Chris Lightfellow
And this is assuming her ship only has the same anti-virus as her suit. If her ship has something even more advanced, Cortana would just be on a suicide mission. I could imagine Cortana jumping through cyberspace to do her thing only to be met with a giant '******** you' wall of lasers, missiles, rockets, and other assorted tools of death.

Cortana is outside help. She is her own person and very much conscious, but even if she was permitted, I doubt she'd get into Samus' gunship successfully. I say this because Ghor ended up beating the s**t out of Samus' gunship, rather than merging with it, which he would be very much capable of doing. Unless there was some other reason for him not doing so, but, "That seems inefficient."
Milady Chris Lightfellow

Problem. In Metroid Prime 2's multiplayer, you can hack your opponent's suit with various powerups, which allows you to disable them for a short time. However, her suit is capable of purging said virus within five to ten seconds, with no lasting effect. If her suit has this level of anti-virus, it's a safe bet her ship does too. So even if Cortana manages to hack the gunship, she'd get, at most, ten seconds of control before the system purges the virus. And I don't mean it kicks her out. I mean it's going to destroy her.

I left it at "if" because the Halo side could argue that Cortana didn't have much trouble hacking the Ascendant Justice, so a nine-meter starfighter "can't possibly" have enough Intel Inside to resist. (A separate discussion, beyond the scope of this one.)

As for Ghor: we don't know whether he tried or even considered trying. I'm leaning towards he couldn't unmerge (or couldn't justify unmerging) from his own armour after he succumbed to full Corruption.

Oyoz

yes*, because chief can call mom and pop and summon a whole damn star wars fleet and that would get out of hand pretty fast.

UNSC vs. GFN would be another interesting discussion. However, John would not make such a call:

1. He prefers to not endanger fellow soldiers' lives when possible.
2. Since he'd reasonably know about the Power Suit's ability to assimilate technology - or else at least have access to the legends - he would not risk giving Samus any chance to use defeated Spartans' onboard computers, AIs, or network uplinks to assimilate UNSC defences and add them to her own.

Quote:
Samus on the other hand can make Dark portals from her Arm Cannon

She can't, actually. She can use the Dark and Light Beams to activate existing portals and rifts; but these are distinctive to the planet Aether. True teleports and at-will portal spawns are beyond her canon capability, though it's conceivable that she could eventually gain such powers at some point.
Sandokiri

She can't, actually. She can use the Dark and Light Beams to activate existing portals and rifts; but these are distinctive to the planet Aether. True teleports and at-will portal spawns are beyond her canon capability, though it's conceivable that she could eventually gain such powers at some point.
Where did you get information that she can't use her DarkBurst outside of Aether? Last time i checked, it never happened because she gave the Luminoth thier technology back before she left the planet.

skip to 2:56 you can clearly see Samus summoning a portal and it's effects on enemies. They almost instantly vaporize, and if this was running on a PS4 or a PC, you'd probably be able to see their bodies slowly tear apart pixel by pixel and get sucked into the void of whereever that portal leads.

Milady Chris Lightfellow
So even if Cortana manages to hack the gunship, she'd get, at most, ten seconds of control before the system purges the virus. And I don't mean it kicks her out. I mean it's going to destroy her.

She stays too long and she dies. And now Master Chief has nothing to power his hardlight shield. Oh, and Samus just dropped a power bomb.

I'm not sure you need Cortana to summon the hard light shield, as shown in multiplayer as any character model you choose can utilize it
Melancholy_Of_Toxic
But overall, his combat skill, speed and resistance just wouldn't be enough to stand up to someone that can fire black holes or shatter reality...
But...but...Master Chief saved the universe four times sad
Oyoz
Sandokiri

Where did you get information that she can't use her DarkBurst outside of Aether? Last time i checked, it never happened because she gave the Luminoth thier technology back before she left the planet.

skip to 2:56 you can clearly see Samus summoning a portal and it's effects on enemies. They almost instantly vaporize, and if this was running on a PS4 or a PC, you'd probably be able to see their bodies slowly tear apart pixel by pixel and get sucked into the void of whereever that portal leads.

i think he was speaking outside of the dark burst which she isn't shown to be able to use it as controllable portal but as a worm hole that sends you lord knows where .

so it be a gable for her to just jump in and risk being sent to a planet where the air is pure acid or something like that

Original Shapeshifter

8,475 Points
  • Wall Street 200
  • Citizen 200
  • Treasure Hunter 100
Oyoz
Melancholy_Of_Toxic
But overall, his combat skill, speed and resistance just wouldn't be enough to stand up to someone that can fire black holes or shatter reality...
But...but...Master Chief saved the universe four times sad

He never saved it, he just delayed the coming events. Samus stopped the Pirates and Mother Brain as well as killing Ridley several times (some ******** just don't want to stay dead). And Master Chief didn't do it alone, he had the support of the Earth's army. Samus was on her own (save for Chozo technology on her side).
RAFAKUN MORRY

i think he was speaking outside of the dark burst which she isn't shown to be able to use it as controllable portal but as a worm hole that sends you lord knows where .

so it be a gable for her to just jump in and risk being sent to a planet where the air is pure acid or something like that
Actually, I was talking about the Dark Burst, and he directly stated the negative to what I was saying, therefore he was talking about what I was talking about and I was talking about the Dark Burst.
Oyoz
Sandokiri

To be clear, what you said was that she could spawn "Dark portals" and theoretically jump into them.

Quote:
Samus on the other hand can make Dark portals from her Arm Cannon and theoretically jump inside of it

The Darkburst is not a portal spawner. It generates a fast-moving ball of dark energy that has properties similar to a black hole, but isn't quite one.

Samus's ability to spawn portals is limited to specific phenomena on Aether.

As for the special hardlight shields in Halo: Forerunner military technology is based on hardlight. All it is, is a dense concentration of light energy that functions as a solid. With sufficient energy given to it, it can serve load-bearing functions, for example bridges that can hold 66-ton Scorpion tanks.

The Forerunners also used the technology to build and decorate buildings, which would have different power requirements from bridges or weapons - or indeed shields. Thus, it took virtually all of the power Cortana could muster to generate a shield strong enough to eat a 30 megaton nuke. It doesn't follow that the multiplayer shield pickups can necessarily endure similar blasts.

And if so... then there's the question of whether Samus can use Grapple Voltage to drain them, since they require energy to maintain their coherence (as proven by the fact that they can be turned off.)
Melancholy_Of_Toxic

He never saved it, he just delayed the coming events. Samus stopped the Pirates and Mother Brain as well as killing Ridley several times (some ******** just don't want to stay dead). And Master Chief didn't do it alone, he had the support of the Earth's army. Samus was on her own (save for Chozo technology on her side).
But but but *throws xbox controller at screen* Master Chief pwns noobs!!!! crying

Original Shapeshifter

8,475 Points
  • Wall Street 200
  • Citizen 200
  • Treasure Hunter 100
Oyoz
Melancholy_Of_Toxic

But but but *throws xbox controller at screen* Master Chief pwns noobs!!!! crying

And Samus "pwns" Master Chief. Thus, Samus is superior.
Sandokiri

The Darkburst is not a portal spawner. It generates a fast-moving ball of dark energy that has properties similar to a black hole, but isn't quite one.

Good argument.

But here's what I found: The Darkburst " opens a rift to a
dark dimension, pulling enemies to oblivion. "

Last time i checked, Black Holes stretch you out, not throw you into dark dimensions. Idk If I said otherwise earlier (too lazy to backtrack) but I stand corrected now. Black holes (from what we know of them) don't pull you into dark dimensions, so that argument wouldn't be relevant because a portal doesn't need ANY dark hole properties to transport matter, seeming as they move matter in different ways, one breaking your molecules apart, the latter (black holes) stretching your molecules.

what IS relevant is that the DarkBurst fires a dimensional rift, which is more or less a portal "to oblivion" which doesn't specify a dark-aether-esque, light-aether-esque, or whatever-esque dimension, just "oblivion", as "dark dimension" could refer to a dimension of dark energy or one merely absent of light. whether or not it's a fast-moving ball of dark energy (from experience, the Darkburst moves very slowly, almost as slow as the Omega Cannon) doesn't really matter in this case. for all we know, dark energy is required to make a portal to oblivion.

that being said, yes, Samus can spawn portals (dimensional rifts, whatever you want to call it) at will. Are they black holes? No. Do black holes send you to oblivion or different dimensions? who knows but as far as we're concerned, no.

Edit*: Okay maybe not as slow as the Omega Cannon but not that fast :p

anyway

Portal, as defined in-game. It says portals are rifts. the seperate definition of rifts says it has to be energized to become a portal and transport matter. The Darkburst is a rift, or so the logbook says, which would mean it can't transport matter without bieng energized. Except it does move matter when you fire one in the Dark burst, which could mean that dimensional rift produced by the darkburst is automatically energized, since it's described as a dimensional (key word) rift that sends enemies to oblivion (counterkey word if that makes sense). Oblivion could simply mean extinction, to which they were simply killed. But the dimensional rift part suggests they were sent to an oblivion, a forgotten, void, "dark" place/dimension.

mind-boggling o.o

don't try it at home.
Sandokiri
Samus can use Grapple Voltage to drain them, since they require energy to maintain their coherence (as proven by the fact that they can be turned off.)
I'd bet my money on it since hard light isn't directly connected to Mjolnir

Original Shapeshifter

8,475 Points
  • Wall Street 200
  • Citizen 200
  • Treasure Hunter 100
Oyoz
Sandokiri

Good argument.

But here's what I found: The Darkburst " opens a rift to a
dark dimension, pulling enemies to oblivion. "

Last time i checked, Black Holes stretch you out, not throw you into dark dimensions. Idk If I said otherwise earlier (too lazy to backtrack) but I stand corrected now. Black holes (from what we know of them) don't pull you into dark dimensions, so that argument wouldn't be relevant.

what IS relevant is that the DarkBurst fires a dimensional rift, which is more or less a portal "to oblivion" which doesn't specify a dark-aether-esque, light-aether-esque, or whatever-esque dimension, just "oblivion", as "dark dimension" could refer to a dimension of dark energy or one merely absent of light. whether or not it's a fast-moving ball of dark energy (from experience, the Darkburst moves very slowly, almost as slow as the Omega Cannon) doesn't really matter in this case. for all we know, dark energy is required to make a portal to oblivion.

that being said, yes, Samus can spawn portals (dimensional rifts, whatever you want to call it) at will. Are they black holes? No. Do black holes send you to oblivion or different dimensions? who knows but as far as we're concerned, no.

What I know for a fact is that when you fire it, enemies get pulled in and die as they "enter" it, thus dropping ammo, health, etc...

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff