• Invisibility 100
  • Conversationalist 100
  • Mark Twain 100
Oyoz
Mea quidem sententia
Oyoz
Mea quidem sententia
Oyoz
all legit except for the radiation part. Mjornil Mark VII is built to be airtight for ops underwater and in space, so the chan estate of radiation seeping are anyone's guess. Still, the EOD suit is built to withstand mine detonation in the face, so the powerbomb would still need to be used twice, once to break the shield, twice to, if we're lucky, break the armor and kill chief

Mine detonation in the face isn't necessarily the same as a nuclear explosion. If such explosion can demolish buildings, I don't see any reason it wouldn't just kill MC. In fact, power bombs vaporize ingsmashers, who are composed of some alien alloy. (Probably denzium.) I don't think MC needs two power bombs used on him to kill him instantly.
so now that we've (you've) done all the schematics on the power bomb, we have to think to ourselves: who ft is slow enough to get hit by a power bomb? That's another reason I discounted it, just like the omega cannon its too slow (though the omega cannon might have a tad bigger radius). Wave beam, Volt driver, annihilator beam are still looking to be samus' best bet at ending it quickly. Or a diffusion missle collateral-missle to the face metroid-style execution.

Well, considering MC cannot travel faster than 6,900 m/s, and considering it only takes 1 millisecond (1/1,000 seconds, or 0.001 seconds) for it to cover 10 m., I'd say MC is getting caught in the explosion. That's 20 times the speed of sound, so to put that into perspective, Mach 20 would mean that 62.58 football fields can be covered in 1 second. So, power bombs are not slow.

I've also wrote about my take on the Annihilator Beam and Volt Driver at the same Samus respect thread at another message board. Here's what I wrote.

Mea quidem sententia
Annihilator Beam
Antimatter weapons seem to be one of those trendy, science fiction tropes along with nanotechnology these days, and since Samus' Annihilator Beam consists of matter and antimatter, some fans tend to think that the Annihilator Beam should produce a massive explosion or something. Let's face it, Quadraxis' "primary weapon system fires destructive matter-antimatter blasts". This is what Samus acquires at the end of the battle. Yet, in-game, we don't see anything remotely destructive. Perhaps this is a result of scaling down things during game play. It's a possibility, but still, some think that if antimatter is involved, terrible things are going to happen.

"Destructive" means, "causing great and irreparable harm or damage". We can say this of the Annihilator Beam. We can say this of anything about Samus' weapons. It's undefined, but as long as it's causing great and irreparable harm or damage, it can be considered destructive. Locusts eating crops is destructive. A grenade is destructive to animate and inanimate objects. I've seen people say that all it takes to produce an explosion equal to the bomb dropped on Hiroshima takes only half a gram (0.0005 kg) of matter and antimatter.

Well, let's assume for a moment that the Annihilator Beam, at least when it's fired as the Disruptor (Quadraxis' matter-antimatter attack looks like the Disruptor from what I recall), can cause damage equal to a large grenade. According to Wikipedia, a large grenade produces 130 kJ (130,000 J). How many kilograms of antimatter would this require? Dividing 130 kJ / c^2 gives us 1.446 nanograms, so it'd require 723 picograms of matter and antimatter. This is assuming the Disruptor is equivalent to a large grenade, of course.

Because the description for the Annihilator Beam remains unknown, the only other means for probably coming up with a certain amount of energy is to see what it can destroy and perhaps apply a real-world equivalent. Otherwise, any guess remains open.

[. . .]

Volt Driver
This weapon was discussed quite a lot in matches involving Samus at FactPile. One of the claims was that a terawatt is equal to a terajoule, which would then mean that each shot would be producing at least 2.0 × 10^12 joules, or 478 tons of TNT. So where's all this energy, one might ponder? And that's what happened, which is why the idea of the Volt Driver was contested, at least in it's destructive capacity. Another thing in the real-world that produces a terawatt is lightning, which the Volt Driver seems to be based off of. Kanden, the one who wields the Volt Driver, produces a "disruptive electromagnetic field", which surrounds him. "[A]nalysis suggests voltage potential comparable to that found in lightning storms."

Regardless of what we might think, the textual evidence says the "Volt Driver draws energy from the planetary electromagnetic field and converts it into multi-terawatt bursts of high voltage." So what is the voltage found in a lightning storm? According to Wikipedia, "A bolt of positive lightning may carry an electric current of 300 kA and the potential at the top of the cloud may exceed a billion volts — about 10 times that of negative lightning. [43]". Williams says a typical lightning bolt bridges voltage of several hundred million volts. (Williams, E. R., The Electrification of Thunderstorms, Scientific American, p. 8 cool 1 billion divided by 10 is 100 million, smaller than what Williams says, but that'd have to be a low-end, since even with Williams, we could only assume 200 million volts, since we're dealing with "multi-terawatt" and aren't going past 2 TW

However, because lightning is so quick, the effects it might cause if it lasted longer doesn't appear. This means even if we went with 200 million volts, the duration of each shot would reduce it to less than 200 million volts. Charging the Volt Driver, however, might produce something equal to ball lightning.
it is pretty slow considering it takes more than three seconds to detonate and gives a fair warning its preparing to detonate. According to the books and not the needed videogames, chief can easily jump out of the blast radius no matter what version of the power bomb is used, whether it be the timed metroid fusion/zero mission versions or the "slomo" detonation of the prime series' escargot bombs

Problem. The books contradict the games, but since you want to use other media sources for Master Chief, let's do so for Samus as well. Samus was raised by the Chozo on a 40 G planet, where she not only survived, but grew into a very fast and athletic woman. Her suit increases all of her abilities tenfold, she runs as fast as Sonic in the suit, without the Speed Booster, can jump so high and far that she might as well be flying, is super intelligent, and can take out some of the most advanced Space Pirate forces in a single shot. In some of the later comics, she kills Ridley with ONE SHOT of her POWER BEAM. She takes so little damage from just about anything that she might as well be immortal and her normal suit's armor is sufficient that NOTHING can pierce it.

How is Master Chief going to take out a woman like that? Comic Samus is even more overpowered than endgame Samus. And this comic was made by Nintendo, so it's canon!

I think it's in your best interests to keep this to just the games.
Milady Chris Lightfellow

How is Master Chief going to take out a woman like that?

Wait a minute.

*sigh*

Did you not read the first comment of the thread?

I made it clear Samus would win.

Nobody here thinks Master Chief will win, we're simply discussing Samus' most effective way of taking him out and what the chief might be able to dodge, avoid, withstand, etc.

Go ahead and answer your own question, cause we don't have the answer.

Liberal Friend

Oyoz
it is pretty slow considering it takes more than three seconds to detonate and gives a fair warning its preparing to detonate. According to the books and not the needed videogames, chief can easily jump out of the blast radius no matter what version of the power bomb is used, whether it be the timed metroid fusion/zero mission versions or the "slomo" detonation of the prime series' escargot bombs

Since we're applying some real-world things, taking the explosive for power bombs, it doesn't matter how slow it might appear in-game. Furthermore, let's take MC's speed into consideration. If you want to use the book, all right. So MC traveled half a kilometer in 17 seconds in the book, which means he traveled 29 m/s, or 65.78 mi/h. So let's say MC is 10 m. from Samus. He would first need to know what Samus is doing, but by the time Samus lets off a power bomb, MC has no chance of escaping.

If, for whatever reason, MC decided to run in the opposite direction as he saw Samus glowing (her charging her a power bomb), then in 1 second, MC would have covered 29 meters. In 2 seconds, 58 meters. In 3 seconds, 87 meters. It takes Samus about 1.120 seconds to charge her power bomb. With this in mind, let's rewind a bit. 1 second, MC would have covered 29 meters. Well, how many meters would he have covered in 0.120 seconds?

29 m/s * 0.120 seconds is 29 meters and 348 centimeters. 29 meters is 2,900 centimeters. 2,900 cm. + 348 cm. is 3,248 cm., or 32.48 m. I'll add another 10 m., since that was the distance between Samus and MC, so 42.48 m. So how many seconds would it take before the power bomb hit MC?

42.48 m. / 6,900 m/s is, when rounded to the nearest whole number, 6 milliseconds (6/1,000, or 0.006 seconds), so MC has no way of escaping.

Liberal Friend

Milady Chris Lightfellow
Samus was raised by the Chozo on a 40 G planet, where she not only survived, but grew into a very fast and athletic woman.

Actually, based on Zebes' mass and diameter, that means Samus lived on a planet that was 960 times greater than Earth's gravity. However, this is at most dubious, since the visual evidence doesn't support this. If Zebes' mass was not 4.8 trillion teratons, but 4.8 billion teratons, then it would be very close to Earth's gravity. You or I, if we went on Zebes, wouldn't notice the difference.

However, just for shits and giggles, once again, a post I made regarding Samus' battle with Nightmare . . .

Mea quidem sententia
In Metroid: Zero Mission, Samus' arm cannon is pointing outward horizontally. She's 1.98 m. I checked the pixels for Samus in MZM, so 1.98 m. is equal to 81 pixels. The bottom of the tip of Samus' arm cannon to the ground is 53 pixels.

53 pixels / 81 pixels = 0.6543, or 65.43%

1.98 m. * 0.6543 = 1.296 m.

With this in mind, I will use the equation, g = 2(viyt - Δy) / t², where g is gravity, viy is the initial velocity for the y axis, t is time, Δy is change in initial height divided by time squared. Because the initial velocity and time is 0, that will be ignored. I will begin with the distance Samus' missiles traveled under the gravity produced by Nightmare, which was 4.551 m.

4.551 m. / 411.6 m/s = 0.0110568513119534 s

g = 2(1.296 m.) / (0.0110568513119534 s)²
g = 2.592 m. / (0.0110568513119534 s)²
g = 2.592 m. / 0.0001222539609346456 s
g = 21,201.7670444692484371206676 m/s

Samus' missiles, according to the official Metroid Prime Web site, can travel 3 to 10 m. I will use the same equation, the only difference now being the time it would take for Samus' missiles to travel 10 m. while traveling 411.6 m/s.

10 m. / 411.6 m/s = 0.0242954324586978 s

g = 2(1.296 m.) / (0.0242954324586978 s)²
g = 2.592 m. / (0.0242954324586978 s)²
g = 2.592 m. / 0.0005902680383551466 s
g = 4,391.2253951999874861275618 m/s

Since I have the gravity for both, I shall divide them.

21,201.7670444692484371206676 m/s / 4,391.2253951999874861275618 m/s = 4.83 g.
Looks like my winner is confirmed 👌 Thanks for the work peeps
Mea quidem sententia
Milady Chris Lightfellow

Mea quidem sententia
NewsFlash, no pun intended, any heat-related weapon won't work on chief. According to Halo 4 (and undoubtedly the Novels, since the game's story follows them), the gift Chief recieves from the Librarian renders him invulnerable to the Composer weapon used by the didact to essentially burn organism layer by layer into ashes.

Common sense and just observation would tell us the plasma, any plasma beam combo, and the nova beam and essentially anything the light beam has to offer are nowhere near the caliber of the composer, which chief took at basically point blank range in a neutron bomb-esque explosion (Halo 4 cutscene)

Not sure if this would rule out powerbombs, since they also produce kinectic force BUT

according to the book, chief took a nuclear explosion with minor burns and a few broken bones so, like i stated earlier, it might take two or more power bombs to kill chief, especially since they're pretty small compared to a average sized nuclear explosion (by a longshot).

just putting that out there.

wave beam still seems like the fastest and most effective way of destroying chief.

I'd also like to point out that in Metroid fusion, regular missles don't do jack s**t to the SA-X, so if anyone wants to make the argument that UNSC Rocket Launchers would even damage Samus, that'd be a huge variable, since Samus only gets hit Super missles and Space pirate missles (could be stronger than federation missles) in Metroid games

Liberal Friend

Oyoz
NewsFlash, no pun intended, any heat-related weapon won't work on chief. According to Halo 4 (and undoubtedly the Novels, since the game's story follows them), the gift Chief recieves from the Librarian renders him invulnerable to the Composer weapon used by the didact to essentially burn organism layer by layer into ashes.

They will, actually. I'm at Halopedia and I have the citation (Halo Encyclopedia, p. 90) for the titanium nanocomposite bodysuit, which is underneath the armor itself. It is coated with a heat-resistant material to disperse heat from plasma weapons. The out layer of the armor is also coated with a refractive coating. "However one or two direct hits from any plasma weapon will compromise the armor plating." (ibid., p. 90) So, I don't think it'll even take two power bombs, since nuclear weapons tend to reach temperatures equal or surpassing the Sun's heat.

Also, titanium has a melting point of 3,034 °F, and using color temperature to find out the heat of the Light Beam, that'd put the Light Beam at 8,540°F.

Oyoz
Common sense and just observation would tell us the plasma, any plasma beam combo, and the nova beam and essentially anything the light beam has to offer are nowhere near the caliber of the composer, which chief took at basically point blank range in a neutron bomb-esque explosion (Halo 4 cutscene)

Prove it. Also show the cut-scene, please, and then calculate for me how powerful this bomb was.

Oyoz
according to the book, chief took a nuclear explosion with minor burns and a few broken bones so, like i stated earlier, it might take two or more power bombs to kill chief, especially since they're pretty small compared to a average sized nuclear explosion (by a longshot).

What was the yield of this supposed nuclear explosion? Please cite the page and offer a full quotation of what's occurring.

Oyoz
wave beam still seems like the fastest and most effective way of destroying chief.

Well, in reality, the Wave Beam and Nova Beam would travel at light speed, radio waves and all.

Oyoz
I'd also like to point out that in Metroid fusion, regular missles don't do jack s**t to the SA-X, so if anyone wants to make the argument that UNSC Rocket Launchers would even damage Samus, that'd be a huge variable, since Samus only gets hit Super missles and Space pirate missles (could be stronger than federation missles) in Metroid games

Assuming super missiles produce energy equal to a magnitude of 2.0 on a Richter scale (since the vicinity shakes and this is not done for visuals, as wall- and ceiling-crawling enemies drop, and as Samus went down the elevator in Metroid Fusion, the place shook), that'd mean Samus' super missiles deliver 478 kg. of TNT. (I wanted a visual, so the closest I could find was 500 kg.) Again, this is assuming it's a magnitude of 2.0. I'm only going by description of what occurs during an earthquake and going with a low-end.
Oyoz
Mea quidem sententia
Milady Chris Lightfellow

Mea quidem sententia

What John received was a genetic countermeasure to a genetic weapon: the Composer isn't a burning weapon, but more like the digitising weapon in TRON: it converts matter into AI and data.

There's no evidence to support a claim that John received a general immunity to thermal damage.

Quote:

Not sure if this would rule out powerbombs, since they also produce kinectic force BUT

It should be noted that John only survived that because Cortana destroyed herself in the act of shielding him with a hardlight shield - a unique situation.

@Mea: Standard HAVOK nuke, 30 megaton yield.

Quote:

Actually, she also gets hit by Federation missiles (in Prime,) since the Pirates have access to stolen Federation autocannon and missile turrets.

As for the SA-X shrugging off missiles: that's as much the X (which are quite resilient when faced with anything that isn't a Metroid) as the copied Varia.
Mea quidem sententia

They will, actually. I'm at Halopedia and I have the citation (Halo Encyclopedia, p. 90) for the titanium nanocomposite bodysuit, which is underneath the armor itself. It is coated with a heat-resistant material to disperse heat from plasma weapons. The out layer of the armor is also coated with a refractive coating. "However one or two direct hits from any plasma weapon will compromise the armor plating." (ibid., p. 90) So, I don't think it'll even take two power bombs, since nuclear weapons tend to reach temperatures equal or surpassing the Sun's heat.

What was the yield of this supposed nuclear explosion? Please cite the page and offer a full quotation of what's occurring.

Well, in reality, the Wave Beam and Nova Beam would travel at light speed, radio.

while the Nova beam is strong, it's said to only pierce certain materials, and in-game it only pierces phazite, which i doubt chief is wearing.

anyway

http://halo.answers.wikia.com/wiki/How_did_chief_survive_the_nuke

In halo 4, chief and his bangbros drop a nuke into the composer. Cortana seemingly transforms herself into hardlight, blocking the explosion. IF it is hardlight, which it most likely is, then power bombs won't work at all since chief has a hard light shield in multiplayer which is impervious to any projectile.This bieng said, the hard light shield basically makes chief impervious to any projectile BUT in halo 4's multiplayer he's still vulnerable to two shots from the Gravity Hammer,but seeming as that's one of the strongest melee weapons in the game if not THE strongest, i don't think samus can output the same force in a melee attack.

Also chief's hard light shield doesn't protect against blunt kinectic force, as already explained, but from vehicles either, as he is killed by what would appear to be a WartHog moving at less than 40mph. Samus's shinespark should be more than enough to imitate this force.

Hardlight shield is all vulnerable from behind and near the feet so carefully aimed shots or rerouted missles (or lock-ons targeting his back) will take chief by suprise (or at the least, kill his a**). The Mantis' stomp also breaks hard light shields as well. This would make chief appear considerably weak even with that compared to Quadraxis stomping on Samus but we won't use that since multiplayer games are usually nerfed from their campaigns.

if the latter is the case, the hardlight can block anything but is still vulnerable from underneath and behind so yeah.
Sandokiri

What John received was a genetic countermeasure to a genetic weapon: the Composer isn't a burning weapon, but more like the digitising weapon in TRON: it converts matter into AI and data.

There's no evidence to support a claim that John received a general immunity to thermal damage.

ahh i read the part, misinterpreted it razz

It should be noted that John only survived that because Cortana destroyed herself in the act of shielding him with a hardlight shield - a unique situation.

@Mea: Standard HAVOK nuke, 30 megaton yield.

you can use those in multiplayer, so this would effectively rule out any powerbomb

Actually, she also gets hit by Federation missiles (in Prime,) since the Pirates have access to stolen Federation autocannon and missile turrets.

As for the SA-X shrugging off missiles: that's as much the X (which are quite resilient when faced with anything that isn't a Metroid) as the copied Varia.
true.

Wheezing Gekko

Oyoz
Mea quidem sententia

Well, in reality, the Wave Beam and Nova Beam would travel at light speed, radio.

while the Nova beam is strong, it's said to only pierce certain materials, and in-game it only pierces phazite, which i doubt chief is wearing.

anyway

http://halo.answers.wikia.com/wiki/How_did_chief_survive_the_nuke

In halo 4, chief and his bangbros drop a nuke into the composer. Cortana seemingly transforms herself into hardlight, blocking the explosion. IF it is hardlight, which it most likely is, then power bombs won't work at all since chief has a hard light shield in multiplayer which is impervious to any projectile.This bieng said, the hard light shield basically makes chief impervious to any projectile BUT in halo 4's multiplayer he's still vulnerable to two shots from the Gravity Hammer,but seeming as that's one of the strongest melee weapons in the game if not THE strongest, i don't think samus can output the same force in a melee attack.

Also chief's hard light shield doesn't protect against blunt kinectic force, as already explained, but from vehicles either, as he is killed by what would appear to be a WartHog moving at less than 40mph. Samus's shinespark should be more than enough to imitate this force.

Hardlight shield is all vulnerable from behind and near the feet so carefully aimed shots or rerouted missles (or lock-ons targeting his back) will take chief by suprise (or at the least, kill his a**). The Mantis' stomp also breaks hard light shields as well. This would make chief appear considerably weak even with that compared to Quadraxis stomping on Samus but we won't use that since multiplayer games are usually nerfed from their campaigns.

if the latter is the case, the hardlight can block anything but is still vulnerable from underneath and behind so yeah.
By sacrificing herself from the looks of it.

Too bad Samus isn't limited to just one power bomb.
Sandokiri
Mea quidem sententia
Milady Chris Lightfellow

Everything bieng said, explained, and diagnosed, chief could armor lock...

but that wouldn't be a fight would it?
Toqger

True but Cortana was already infused with the hard light bridge and she was...past her lifetime, so it's a variable whether the nuke took her out, that fact that she basically blew herself up, or the fact that she was aging was the actual cause of her demise. But it'd be important to show she still survived long enough to physically touch chief afterwards.

anyways, since hard light was strong enough to take a nuke, that would prove it's durability against nuclear weapons. The fact that the hard light shield can block hard light weapons like the the Light rifle in Halo 4's multiplayer would show it can even withstand blasts from it's own make-up, which puts it at a higher...idk how to say, tier than nuke-withstanding.
Oyoz
Toqger

True but Cortana was already infused with the hard light bridge and she was...past her lifetime, so it's a variable whether the nuke took her out, that fact that she basically blew herself up, or the fact that she was aging was the actual cause of her demise. But it'd be important to show she still survived long enough to physically touch chief afterwards.

anyways, since hard light was strong enough to take a nuke, that would prove it's durability against nuclear weapons. The fact that the hard light shield can block hard light weapons like the the Light rifle in Halo 4's multiplayer would show it can even withstand blasts from it's own make-up, which puts it at a higher...idk how to say, tier than nuke-withstanding.

Not necessarily. Cortana had to throw all of her energy into it. Forerunner hardlight weapons don't instantly destroy Chief, which means that hardlight is not inherently "a tier above" nukes.
Sandokiri

Not necessarily. Cortana had to throw all of her energy into it. Forerunner hardlight weapons don't instantly destroy Chief, which means that hardlight is not inherently "a tier above" nukes.
yeah that's why i have facepalm moments when trying to use multiplayer as a reference point. Going off the books, Hardlight shields still protected chief from the explosion, so it's be able to withstand nukes. As I previously stated, Cortana was aging, she blew herself up, and she was still able to talk to chief afterwards and touch him-with hardlight, which means there was some left over-from destroying herself. What this means is that hardlight probably isn't actually able to permanently break, since it's light. it can be dispersed and solidified at the speed of light, so theoretically if you break a hardlight shield, the light particles can be recomposed at the speed of light. It's not breaking glass, because you'd have to pick up the pieces and glue em back together xd

"When the going get's tough, armor lock"
- Master Chief

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas