Welcome to Gaia! ::

So can we talk about how much inflation Gaian items have gone through? I stopped Gaia a while ago in high school and now I'm checking my account for giggles, but seriously... How do people even get 5.5billion gold?!

Tipsy Genius

Gold's value considerably decreased because there's more of it (due to gold generators sold in the Cash Shop). Nobody is richer; if anything, the average Gaian is poorer based on the cost of things.

Quick example: Everybody can be a billionaire. The pack of bubblegum that was sold for $2 a while ago is now sold for $200 because people can afford it and it's proportional to the cost of other things. If you had $10 before this inflation, you could have bought 5 packs of bubblegum and later resold them for profit, earning $1,000. That looks like a lot of money, but it's only enough to afford 5 packs of bubblegum. On the other hand, if you still just have that $10 and didn't invest in any purchases, you can't even afford a single pack of bubblegum, and you're pretty much screwed.

Generous Giver

sterek
Gold's value considerably decreased because there's more of it (due to gold generators sold in the Cash Shop). Nobody is richer; if anything, the average Gaian is poorer based on the cost of things.

Quick example: Everybody can be a billionaire. The pack of bubblegum that was sold for $2 a while ago is now sold for $200 because people can afford it and it's proportional to the cost of other things. If you had $10 before this inflation, you could have bought 5 packs of bubblegum and later resold them for profit, earning $1,000. That looks like a lot of money, but it's only enough to afford 5 packs of bubblegum. On the other hand, if you still just have that $10 and didn't invest in any purchases, you can't even afford a single pack of bubblegum, and you're pretty much screwed.

That's a pretty good example. Kudos to putting it in such simple words.
I'm not going to toss out any specific numbers, because I don't want the masses to know what I'm worth... but to show how bad it has been:

I returned to Gaia a few months ago... probably around February... maybe as early as January. I was worth, we'll say X.

About a month ago, maybe up to two months ago, I was worth about 500 times X.

Today I am worth 2400 times X.

This level of hyper-inflation (in 6 months the same items increased in value by 2400 times) is horrifying. At the pace it is going (with my inventory roughly doubling in value every 3 weeks), by the end of this year my worth will be roughly 1,250,000 times as high, an increase of 12,500%

There is literally no way for a new Gaia user to get ANYTHING on this site unless they pay real money to buy it from the cash shop to sell for gold to buy what they really want. There is no legitimate way to generate billions of gold and no gold sink big enough to reign this in.

It's scary to think that by the end of the year items costing 1 trillion gold will be commonplace and prices for rarer items (the halo and some super awesome RIG items and fancy wings) in the high quadrillions and up even in the quintillion or sextillion range if things continue to double in value* every 3 weeks like this.

At some point the sheer number of 0s we'll have in prices will get overwhelming to work with.

*it is more accurate to say the value of gold is halving in value every 3 weeks rather than the items actually being worth more because this is all due to inflation - a massive influx of gold to the market via gold generators.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff