Welcome to Gaia! ::

Kawaii Shoujo

obamaurmama
fairy-phoenix
It's not right for this baker to receive all of this backlash when he politely refused to do the wedding cake for the couple, he was in his rights to decline because it goes against his religion, and forcing him to go against it by now having him make wedding cakes isn't right.
That all depends on the state in which you live. Certain states have laws preventing business owners from discriminating against people based on their bullshit religion. If they want to be anti-gay, move to a state where you're free to deny gay people the right to give you their money.
I personally have nothing against gays/lesbians, all I'm saying is that he shouldn't be forced to now do something that goes against his religious beliefs, and he didn't refuse them any service outside of making the wedding cake.

Wintry Avenger

fairy-phoenix
obamaurmama
fairy-phoenix
It's not right for this baker to receive all of this backlash when he politely refused to do the wedding cake for the couple, he was in his rights to decline because it goes against his religion, and forcing him to go against it by now having him make wedding cakes isn't right.
That all depends on the state in which you live. Certain states have laws preventing business owners from discriminating against people based on their bullshit religion. If they want to be anti-gay, move to a state where you're free to deny gay people the right to give you their money.
I personally have nothing against gays/lesbians, all I'm saying is that he shouldn't be forced to now do something that goes against his religious beliefs, and he didn't refuse them any service outside of making the wedding cake.
Yeah, but like I'm saying - it depends on which state he chose to have his business. Business owner's need to be aware of the law.

Dedicated Reveler

4,000 Points
  • Forum Regular 100
  • Treasure Hunter 100
  • Conversationalist 100
fairy-phoenix
obamaurmama
fairy-phoenix

Religion isn't an excuse to ignore the law. People have all sorts of beliefs that don't get to override the law.
fairy-phoenix
obamaurmama
fairy-phoenix

He actually withdrew the service entirely. Now nobody can purchase a wedding cake from him.

kuroreo's Waifu

Peaceful Light

27,575 Points
  • Tenacious Spirit 250
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Ultimate Player 200
Dark Lord Drake
Silverlight Symphony
Dark Lord Drake
Silverlight Symphony
GunsmithKitten
Silverlight Symphony
Strongly religious sorts believe they can go to hell if they go against their teachings. The baker is strongly religious and by aiding in a gay marriage that goes against his religion and he will be going against everything he believed in. He wasn't refusing to serve them other things either. He was polite and he didn't just throw them out of the store. I kind of feel sorry for him for trying to upkeep his faith and getting all this backlash for it. I feel the couple could have been more understanding of a persons beliefs. Thats how all my gay friends feel about this story in fact, they would rather have someone who would try their hardest to make the best wedding cake for them and they can respect others beliefs even if they don't share in them. There are a bunch of cake shops and not all of them have religious owners as well.

There were plenty of non-racist restaurants back in 1968. Would you have told blacks to simply move and patronize those instead of sit in at the ones in the south?

Of course it would have been wrong if it was a racial issue. Using your example is not fitting for this case. Rather than a hatred for another persons color, this is an issue of a guys religious beliefs and standing up for those beliefs with no hatred involved. He offered to bake anything but a cake. If he would have baked the cake it would have gone against his faith. I do think however that he could have had one of his employees make a cake that way he would not be going against his religion yet still service the couple. At the same time its not like he threw them out of the store or made derogatory remarks. He did make a mistake, but did he deserve as harsh a media punishment as he got?

Why should it matter if it's a religious belief or not? The effect is still the same. It is still bigotry.

I am not religious yet I still can understand where the guy is coming from. Frankly they were both being bigots. I am just defending the baker because I think he is getting more flak than he deserves in the end. I personally have no issues with gays and their getting married. I have enough friends that are so. In fact my best friend is a lesbian so w/e it doesn't change who she is. But if you believe you are going to hell if you do something then why is it not wrong to force someone to do something when they think it will destroy their soul? It's like a double edged blade and there won't be any true winners in the end.

No, they weren't both being bigots. Expecting equal treatment as other couples isn't bigotry. Denying people based on sexual orientation is bigotry though.

The thing is his belief shouldn't change the law. People can believe all sorts of crazy s**t, we don't bend the law to let them by just because of some irrational belief. Equality is a fairly compelling reason for the law, if someone wants a pass they should have a compelling reason not to follow it, not just some personal belief. Everyone's got personal beliefs, they don't just override the law.

Bigot is intolerance. They showed they were not tolerant of the bakers religious standing. The baker should have been fined for refusing service as it is against the law yes. I just think the could have went about it differently. Look at this http://usnews.nbcnews.com/_news/2012/05/25/11877762-flaunting-it-gay-bar-bans-straight-bachelorette-parties
refusing service for their beliefs as well as the baker did and yet I don't see them getting as much hate as this guy had. Of course they are only refusing until they get same rights as their cause dictates and i can respect that. But I also respect others beliefs. Equality is a very hard thing to achieve and I just think that we all should be more respectful towards each other. As I did state, the baker could have had someone else in the shop make the cake so he wasnt the one directly doing it.

Romantic Werewolf

15,950 Points
  • Mega Tipsy 100
  • Cats vs Dogs 100
  • Threadmaster 200
Quote:
Martin said it was “truly frightening” that Phillips will be forced to submit quarterly reports to the government disclosing whether he turned away any wedding cake business.

I agree. It's his business, and he has the right to refuse anyone he wants.

Quote:
The controversy started in 2012 when a gay couple asked Phillips to make their wedding cake. Phillips politely declined, saying he could not make a cake promoting a same-sex ceremony because of his faith. He offered to make them any other baked item they wanted.

He wasn't even a d**k about it - he stated his beliefs, and those two scumbags decided to be whiny little biatches about it and throw a huge tantrum. Go to another bakery, WTF.

Quote:
“No one should ever have to walk into a store and wonder if they will be turned away just because of who they are,” Mullins added.

Next up, Victoria's Secret forced to carry circus tents because fat women are hurt and offended they don't carry circus tent size! DISCRIMINATION! Big and Tall doesn't carry clothes for short guys! DISCRIMINATION!

NOTHING CAN EXIST THAT OFFENDS SOMEONE EVER!!!!!!111111

Friend

10,350 Points
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
  • Guildmember 100
Malee
inu no bakax
SR_Uzi
A Mythic Angel
Freedom of religion does not mean freedom to be a bigotted asshat.
Freedom of religion means you are free to practice your faith without persecution.

That's right. If people are making you shut down your bakery, which is a source of income for many people, because of your religious beliefs,... isn't that persecution?

******** up that this is a big issue. Isn't it a law that they have the rights to refuse service?????based on RELIGIOUS BELIEFS no less, if that's the guys religion, he should be able to practice it, yeah?

There are limitations in the right to refuse service. If a customer starts screaming at your employees for no reason you have a right to refuse service. If a couple wants a wedding cake for their wedding but you refuse to serve them because they are gay you are outside of the limitations and will get in trouble. Same with refusing service to someone based on their gender or race.

what a dumb rule. welcome to Americaright

Aged Lunatic

Kai-Shan Valandria

So what was all those lunch counter sit-ins back in the 60's about?
GunsmithKitten
Kai-Shan Valandria

Trespassing?

Aged Lunatic

Kothlim
GunsmithKitten
Kai-Shan Valandria

Trespassing?

Thanks. Thanks for confirming my disgust with this place lately.

SOmeone with a goddamned "Row row fight dah powah" style sig, and he shits all over people who were doing just that. Oh man, I can't even be mad it's so pathetic.

Romantic Werewolf

15,950 Points
  • Mega Tipsy 100
  • Cats vs Dogs 100
  • Threadmaster 200
GunsmithKitten
Kai-Shan Valandria

I find a not-insignificant difference between racial discrimination vs this much murkier area. It's one thing to be denied to go about your business due to a basic human trait. It's another to have a trait that can be smoothed a little in order to adapt to various types of company. For example, while someone may loathe most of their coworkers, a smart person learns how to act politely and professionally despite that fact. Just like a smart person doesn't keep pressing the issue when they recognize something they're doing isn't wanted. I am 100% sure that couple had many other bakery options, but instead of doing the smart thing, shrugging off the misguided and annoying conflicting belief systems of that particular baker, and going about their way, they decided they had to punish that baker for daring to be different from them.

What about the baker's rights? It sickens me that this couple was richly rewarded for committing discrimination, when the baker should have been protected by our very Constitution.

Feral Nymph

Kai-Shan Valandria
GunsmithKitten
Kai-Shan Valandria

I find a not-insignificant difference between racial discrimination vs this much murkier area. It's one thing to be denied to go about your business due to a basic human trait. It's another to have a trait that can be smoothed a little in order to adapt to various types of company. For example, while someone may loathe most of their coworkers, a smart person learns how to act politely and professionally despite that fact. Just like a smart person doesn't keep pressing the issue when they recognize something they're doing isn't wanted. I am 100% sure that couple had many other bakery options, but instead of doing the smart thing, shrugging off the misguided and annoying conflicting belief systems of that particular baker, and going about their way, they decided they had to punish that baker for daring to be different from them.

What about the baker's rights? It sickens me that this couple was richly rewarded for committing discrimination, when the baker should have been protected by our very Constitution.

So what you're saying is intolerance is cool so long as it's not based on skin color.

Romantic Werewolf

15,950 Points
  • Mega Tipsy 100
  • Cats vs Dogs 100
  • Threadmaster 200
Pessimist
Kai-Shan Valandria
GunsmithKitten
Kai-Shan Valandria

So what you're saying is intolerance is cool so long as it's not based on skin color.

Your "intolerance" is part of someone else's belief system. Why are you intolerant of their right to practice their beliefs? The baker wasn't hurting anyone, and if everyone could stick to having their beliefs and not hurting anyone else, we've made out well.

Feral Nymph

Kai-Shan Valandria
Pessimist
Kai-Shan Valandria
GunsmithKitten
Kai-Shan Valandria

Your "intolerance" is part of someone else's belief system. Why are you intolerant of their right to practice their beliefs? The baker wasn't hurting anyone, and if everyone could stick to having their beliefs and not hurting anyone else, we've made out well.

Because he was denying people a service he provides to others. What if the couple was a mixed race and he fervently was against miscegenation? Is he still in the right there for honoring his 'beliefs'?
Pessimist
Kai-Shan Valandria
Pessimist
Kai-Shan Valandria
GunsmithKitten
Kai-Shan Valandria

Because he was denying people a service he provides to others. What if the couple was a mixed race and he fervently was against miscegenation? Is he still in the right there for honoring his 'beliefs'?

Race = biological/genetic
Homosexuality = socialization/environment

Scientists believe that homosexuality is only partly genetic; sexuality is mostly based on environmental and social factors. Natural selection cannot explain homosexuality.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff