Welcome to Gaia! ::

stillnohero's Husband

Toothsome Reveler

OtakuJeannie

If they commit crimes this grave, why should they be allowed to hide behind their age? They have ceased to be innocent and giving them leanancy will only encourage the psychos to commit more crimes.

mischiefmariah
Yeah, I do not agree with it completely at only six years of age. However, if you go out and do crazy things like this at twelve years of age, I think I might not feel as forgiving as I would towards a young child. They are still young at twelve but I think they should have to take some responsibility for what they have done. I am not necessarily saying that I think they deserve life in prison but I do not think that just a "slap on the wrist" is enough this time, if you understand what I am trying to say.

I've been seeing this argument a lot on the actual articles comments section, and I feel like theres a misunderstanding happening some where.
By no means am I suggesting that they 'hide behind their age', be given leniency for their crimes, or walk away with only a slap on the wrist.
They planned out a premeditated murder attempt. Regardless of the fact that it was a shitty plan, and unsuccessful, they still allegedly had been planning this for months in advance. Thats some hardcore intent to kill the s**t outta someone.
However, this is not such a simple thing as a math problem, where the equations all line up neatly at both ends and always equal the same thing.

You cannot try a child on the same set of perimeters as you would an adult.
Thats just...it baffles me., personally.
They are biologically, mentally, just not on the same level. thats why they're children.
You wouldnt expect a 20 year old and a 12 year old to operate at the same Math skill level - its essentially the same principal.
Im not saying that 'oh, they're too young to know it was wrong' because thats bullshit. Ive never met a 12 year old yet who didnt know stabbing the s**t outta someone was wrong.
But theres a lot of brain-s**t going on up there that hasnt finished doing what its supposed to do, and that should be factored in.
Plus, again, the whole fact that theres clearly some underlying mental issues that havent been addressed here.

I dont know. Im far from qualified to be making decisions about stuff-and-junk like this.
But to me, the concept of trying them as adults is weird, because they're not adults, no matter what crime they commited. They're not even in that weird hover-zone between childhood and adulthood where I can kinda see people being more on the fence about it.
They're 12, man.
Should they be punished? Oh yeah, for sure. They almost killed someone.
But that doesnt make them adults.

Kawaii Shoujo

Reiko Iwamaru
At a loss for words...it just seems like the world is getting stupider... emotion_facepalm
I must say I agree with you.

Demonic Bookworm

30,400 Points
  • Consumer 100
  • Dressed Up 200
  • Citizen 200
Kallistiae
OtakuJeannie

If they commit crimes this grave, why should they be allowed to hide behind their age? They have ceased to be innocent and giving them leanancy will only encourage the psychos to commit more crimes.

mischiefmariah
Yeah, I do not agree with it completely at only six years of age. However, if you go out and do crazy things like this at twelve years of age, I think I might not feel as forgiving as I would towards a young child. They are still young at twelve but I think they should have to take some responsibility for what they have done. I am not necessarily saying that I think they deserve life in prison but I do not think that just a "slap on the wrist" is enough this time, if you understand what I am trying to say.

I've been seeing this argument a lot on the actual articles comments section, and I feel like theres a misunderstanding happening some where.
By no means am I suggesting that they 'hide behind their age', be given leniency for their crimes, or walk away with only a slap on the wrist.
They planned out a premeditated murder attempt. Regardless of the fact that it was a shitty plan, and unsuccessful, they still allegedly had been planning this for months in advance. Thats some hardcore intent to kill the s**t outta someone.
However, this is not such a simple thing as a math problem, where the equations all line up neatly at both ends and always equal the same thing.

They are biologically, mentally, just not on the same level. thats why they're children.
You wouldnt expect a 20 year old and a 12 year old to operate at the same Math skill level - its essentially the same principal.
Im not saying that 'oh, they're too young to know it was wrong' because thats bullshit. Ive never met a 12 year old yet who didnt know stabbing the s**t outta someone was wrong.
But theres a lot of brain-s**t going on up there that hasnt finished doing what its supposed to do, and that should be factored in.
Plus, again, the whole fact that theres clearly some underlying mental issues that havent been addressed here.

I dont know. Im far from qualified to be making decisions about stuff-and-junk like this.
But to me, the concept of trying them as adults is weird, because they're not adults, no matter what crime they commited. They're not even in that weird hover-zone between childhood and adulthood where I can kinda see people being more on the fence about it.
They're 12, man.

Younger than them have taken on the burdens of adulthood, in some places in the world younger than them ARE even as we speak, and those children deserve more sympathy because they have no choice. These girls chose what they should know is wrong because they wanted something from it. They are no different than the majority of the mass shooters of this day and should be held to the same standard. I do think there is a point where one steps from child to adult and it's different for everyone. There is no magic birthday and some people mature far faster than others.
Kallistiae
OtakuJeannie

mischiefmariah

They're 12, man.

I guess I was going for the whole knowing right from wrong concept.
I don't want them sentenced to death or serving life in prison. I think they need a minimal 8 months or so in juvie, discipline, and intense counseling.

Anxious Strawberry

they just seem mentally ill tbh. i don't think they should have been tried as adults either. 6 yrs is a huge a** gap

Quotable Informer

20,825 Points
  • Elysium's Gatekeeper 100
  • Partygoer 500
  • Frozen Sleuth 100
babababunny
they just seem mentally ill tbh. i don't think they should have been tried as adults either. 6 yrs is a huge a** gap
Actually you do go through the trial proceeding but if they don't got to jail the Judge can sentence them to be in a mental institution. Those places can keep them well pass age 21.

Quotable Prophet

mischiefmariah
jadedrenee
Depending on the state, almost any child can be tried as an adult if a grand jury is willing to go for it, starting as early as age 6. In some states, the DA can bump a juvenile offender up to adult court simply by filling out a form, no jury indictment required.

Really, age 6? That seems a little bit extreme. Then again, hum...I don't know anymore.

Well, it'd have to be a pretty evil six year old. Like the antichrist or Claudia or Joffrey Baratheon.
I wonder if they still believe in Santa. If they believe in Slender then its safe to say they were taught nonsense like religion and superstition from their idiot parents.

Lonely Poster

8,850 Points
  • Lavish Tipper 200
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Cool Cat 500
"Maybe Slendy-Senpai will notice me now!"

Fashionable Genius

7,950 Points
  • Tycoon 200
  • Signature Look 250
  • Forum Sophomore 300
Surely these children weren't on drugs...oh wait.

Apparently these girls were left to their own devices and the bridge between imagination and reality was a little lost on them. I would love to hear if they were on mind-altering prescription drugs which were actually given to them by a certified pediatrician rather than five-fingered out of mommy's bathroom cabinet.

Divine Muse

Next thing we will hear about is "Dora the Explora" or "Barney the purple dinosaur" made me do it!!

The fact that they are using this as an excuse, they KNEW what they did and they knew it was wrong.

Jail the little psychos!
Kallistiae
OtakuJeannie

mischiefmariah

They're 12, man.

If you really believe that, then just remember that Ted Bundy tried to stab one of his family members at the age of three.

Kawaii Shoujo

If this is what the world is coming to... than I never want to have children. emotion_facepalm

stillnohero's Husband

Toothsome Reveler

God Emperor Baldur

If you really believe that, then just remember that Ted Bundy tried to stab one of his family members at the age of three.

A lazy Google research gave me only one source for that information, and it didnt say he tried to stab anyone - he just laid a bunch of kitchen knives on someones bed.
3 year olds are kind of dumb.

And even if he had managed to stab and even kill someone at the age of 3...I fail to see how that changes the argument.
He's still a child. A very young one.
What do you want to do, try a toddler as an adult?
Im not saying theres some magic line where children suddenly become fully developed brain-having adults, thats a really hard line to define, and I'd have a lot less of an opinion about it if the girls in question had been 16 or older. It still would have seemed a bit odd to me, but I'd be a lot more on the fence about it.
But for a 12 year old?
No. Thats just weird.

There's clearly something wrong with them, we should figure out what it is. Maybe its something that we can get them help for, and they'll be waaay less stabby in the future.
And someone said earlier that they wondered if the kids were on any actual prescribed medication. I'd actually be interested to know that, as well.
Kallistiae
God Emperor Baldur

A lazy Google research gave me only one source for that information, and it didnt say he tried to stab anyone - he just laid a bunch of kitchen knives on someones bed.
3 year olds are kind of dumb.

And even if he had managed to stab and even kill someone at the age of 3...I fail to see how that changes the argument.
He's still a child. A very young one.
What do you want to do, try a toddler as an adult?
Im not saying theres some magic line where children suddenly become fully developed brain-having adults, thats a really hard line to define, and I'd have a lot less of an opinion about it if the girls in question had been 16 or older. It still would have seemed a bit odd to me, but I'd be a lot more on the fence about it.
But for a 12 year old?
No. Thats just weird.

There's clearly something wrong with them, we should figure out what it is. Maybe its something that we can get them help for, and they'll be waaay less stabby in the future.
And someone said earlier that they wondered if the kids were on any actual prescribed medication. I'd actually be interested to know that, as well.

The point is that killers are born from the womb. AKA they were always evil.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff