Welcome to Gaia! ::

Magnetic Millionaire

12,525 Points
  • Marathon 300
  • Ultimate Player 200
  • Millionaire 200
The numbers are in: Over half of American teenagers ages 12 to 15 are physically unfit

More than half of U.S. adolescents ages 12-15 are physically unfit, according to a new report.

The study by the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention found that in 2012, only about 42% of American youths had adequate levels of cardiorespiratory fitness, a 10% drop compared to 2000. The study also found that the percentage of young people who had adequate levels of cardiorespiratory fitness decreases as their weight increases.

More than 600 teenagers were tested for the study. Their fitness was measured in a treadmill test, during which researchers tested how well their hearts and lungs could move blood to supply muscles.

The report found no disparities in cardiorespiratory fitness levels according to race or family income. It did show a clear difference between boys and girls, with just over half of boys deemed fit but only a third of girls.

America’s Teens Are Out of Shape

Greedy Consumer

When america's lunch can include calzone pizza tater-tots mozzarella sticks
and some cut recess
of course this was gonna happen

Wintry Dragon

That much in two years? I guess certain mindsets and practices should be correlated. Video games replacing physical sports as well?

Loyal Exhibitionist

Not surprising.

Schools has been cutting back on healthy food to save money, and gym/recess has been gradually cut out of schools in fear of children getting injured and the school sued.

OF COURSE children will gradually become overweight over the years.

Bloodthirsty Carnivore

27,550 Points
  • Hunter 50
  • Demonic Associate 100
  • Vicious Spirit 250
No s**t, ya don't say? Well damn. And here I thought seeing 12 year olds getting winded after running the length of an aisle at Walmart to catch up with their mum was just an isolated incident...all 14 times I've seen it in the last year. rolleyes This is what happens when you get rid of recess and practically hook your kids up to a central line of sugar and fat. It's too hard to premake healthier snacks for them, so here kids, have pizza rolls and coke. Don't go outside! All them ***** and accidents waiting to happen. Stay inside and play video games like a good child. We will baby our children until they are just as pudgy and useless as they were when they were babies. Don't want your crotch dumpling to ever grow up! Can't lose that accessory, no no! stare
Dudn't the FDA lay down some rules as to what kids are supposed to be served at school? That was supposed to be the cornerstone of a healthy generation of school child-- oh wait, the kids rejected it to the point of physical protest.....

Gotta hop on board with the recess and phys-ed crowd here. The problem with recess (at least locally here) is that kids are spending it glued to their handhelds rather than actually playing, and with P.E. getting the axe in places...

Strictly anecdotal, but my experience has always been its not what you eat, but how you burn it. My teenage dietary years were dotted with daily visits to fast food joints, pizzeria's, anything that was bad for you, I ate it. But because of the demands of work outside school, I was the definition of physically fit (and built like a brick sh!thouse). Now that I've got a more sedentary job, I've found myself needed to offset it with exercise (weather permitting).
In my day, kids had to work to get fat. yessir! People got hurt.

Quotable Informer

20,825 Points
  • Elysium's Gatekeeper 100
  • Partygoer 500
  • Frozen Sleuth 100
Hasuki Aatisuto
Not surprising.

Schools has been cutting back on healthy food to save money, and gym/recess has been gradually cut out of schools in fear of children getting injured and the school sued.

School are trying year around schools and longer hours all in front of PC's, IPads, and other electronic devices.

Also the healthy food taste like crap anyways. Maybe if they were like the French school lunch kids would eat better. Also bring back recess and the equipment that required us to work our muscles: Merry go rounds, tires, Teeter tooters, Tether ball, Jungle Gyms. Monkey bars,

Loyal Exhibitionist

xdivision_whitey
Hasuki Aatisuto
Not surprising.

School are trying year around schools and longer hours. Also the healthy food taste like crap anyways. Maybe if they were like the French school lunch kids would eat better.

That would require the government to invest more funds into Education.

But we all know that's not going to happen.

Quotable Informer

20,825 Points
  • Elysium's Gatekeeper 100
  • Partygoer 500
  • Frozen Sleuth 100
Hasuki Aatisuto
xdivision_whitey
Hasuki Aatisuto
Not surprising.

School are trying year around schools and longer hours. Also the healthy food taste like crap anyways. Maybe if they were like the French school lunch kids would eat better.

That would require the government to invest more funds into Education.

But we all know that's not going to happen.
It might with enough of a push.

Omnipresent Loiterer

16,275 Points
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Megathread 100
  • Mark Twain 100
Gardening_with_Rave_Music
and some cut recess

I know it's just a lack of punctuation, but I would totally try to make a calzone stuffed with tater-tot mozzarella sticks.

Get the mozzarella, batter them a little and roll them in tater tots, fry'em up and stick'em in a calzone.

Nimble Wolf

28,875 Points
  • Guildmember 100
  • Hunter 50
  • Invisibility 100
Silvia Crow
Gardening_with_Rave_Music
and some cut recess

I know it's just a lack of punctuation, but I would totally try to make a calzone stuffed with tater-tot mozzarella sticks.

Get the mozzarella, batter them a little and roll them in tater tots, fry'em up and stick'em in a calzone.

Ditto. I'm currently trying to cut down on several addictions at once and the idea of CPTTMS made me drool. ;.;
Stop the presses!

Clean Seeker

4,100 Points
  • Hygienic 200
  • Wall Street 200
  • Signature Look 250
It's because of all the texting, video games and Internet.

recklingturtle's Husband

Tiny Explorer

8,750 Points
  • Partygoer 500
  • Cool Cat 500
  • Millionaire 200
Hasuki Aatisuto
Not surprising.

well, I dunno about the food thing. What I've seen done is portions getting cut to incredibly tiny sizes instead of the good stuff being cut, which causes kids to snack on junk food at home because they're so hungry

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff