Welcome to Gaia! ::

Destructive Genius

11,100 Points
  • Tycoon 200
  • Mark Twain 100
  • Battle: KO 200
Does anyone know sites I can get this done? I have a couple of drafts I've written up for a novel, but I've never had to send a query letter out before, and I really don't want to screw it up.

I already know about query shark, but does anyone else have any other suggestions?

Devoted Bookworm

16,250 Points
  • Cats vs Dogs 100
  • Autobiographer 200
  • Beta Forum Regular 0
I hang out on AgentQueryConnect. They have a pretty good query critique forum. I'm actually on round two of getting mine polished to perfection. Ditto with the synopsis ... There's a forum specifically for hooks and titles as well, if you really want feedback on all of those aspects. (And a wanted forum to look for betas) If you're going to use it for queries, the best way to get critiques on your query is to give critiques on other queries.

I don't use AbsoluteWrite, but I'm sure they do query critiques too.

If you head to AQC and have questions, I'm terradi there too, and I'm always happy to offer help or advice on the site where I can. The finer points of querying I'm less sure on ... but I do know the site.

Toothsome Elder

I don't know any query proofing sites, but I just want to warn you off using too much of a template or letting others be too in charge of what you say. Your query letter should be professional, brief, with a touch of personality. You would be in danger of washing that personality out.

source: was a poetry editor for a magazine with a national subscription base for a couple years, as well as First Reader for several national poetry awards.

Destructive Genius

11,100 Points
  • Tycoon 200
  • Mark Twain 100
  • Battle: KO 200
Soup Dumpling
I don't know any query proofing sites, but I just want to warn you off using too much of a template or letting others be too in charge of what you say. Your query letter should be professional, brief, with a touch of personality. You would be in danger of washing that personality out.

source: was a poetry editor for a magazine with a national subscription base for a couple years, as well as First Reader for several national poetry awards.

I can understand that, but I don't really know what I'm doing, so I'd like someone who might know a little more to tell me if my book sounds interesting, because of course I think it sounds interesting.

Devoted Bookworm

16,250 Points
  • Cats vs Dogs 100
  • Autobiographer 200
  • Beta Forum Regular 0
Do poetry and prose really follow the same rules in terms of queries? I mean, I can understand the advantage of sticking to a more formulaic system to query for a novel (with tweaks to the formula along the way as needed) but I can too where poetry might allow for some more flexibility.

Having a recommended format for a query helped me figure out how to put one together properly, and what sort of information was most important. Getting peer reviews helped me understand that I was focusing on the wrong parts of the story and not clarifying well enough for the story to be understandable to someone who hadn't read the novel, even though it was perfectly clear for me.

Getting peer feedback is, when used properly, a useful tool for figuring out exactly what you need to say and how to say it best, though ultimately I'd agree that the final decisions for the query need to rest in the original writer's hands. Too much nitpicking and minor stylistic differences as people try to get you to write the query they'd write for it to be otherwise.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff