Welcome to Gaia! ::

Quotable Informer

20,825 Points
  • Elysium's Gatekeeper 100
  • Partygoer 500
  • Frozen Sleuth 100
User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.

Qatar's capital city, Doha, has just been chosen as the venue for the 2022 World Cup. And while many locals are busy celebrating the exciting news, others are thinking about how an influx of tourists might affect the small Middle Eastern nation.

The new Reflect Your Respect campaign, which officially launches in Qatar next month, is designed to help Western tourists learn about local modest clothing standards. In one drawing from the campaign, several stick figures are shown in different outfits, including one in a short skirt and another in tight-fitting pants, with Xs underneath them to indicate they're inappropriate.

"If you are in Qatar, you are one of us," one flyer reads. "Help us preserve Qatar's culture and values. Please dress modestly in public places." The materials are being printed in both Arabic and English. There is also a Twitter account and Instagram page to help promote the campaign.

Reflect Your Respect, which is being organized by the Qatar Islamic Cultural Center, also lists some specific dos and don'ts for would-be visitors: Men should not go shirtless, and women should not wear leggings as pants. There are also some guidelines about non-clothing-related behavior, including requests not to kiss or embrace in public and not to take pictures of anyone without their permission.

Qatar is not the only country to set behavior and clothing guidelines for tourists. Singapore also bans kissing in public and has fined visitors for violating the ban. Many religious and holy sites around the world, from the Vatican to the Hagia Sophia, ask men and women to remove their shoes or cover their heads and/or shoulders before being permitted to enter.

The Reflect Your Respect campaign advises visitors to Qatar that covering from the shoulders to the knees is considered appropriate. But what does that mean for the soccer players who will be in the World Cup matches held in Doha? Let's hope they (and their team uniforms) get the memo ahead of time.

Loyal Exhibitionist

Haha, I love the subtle "muffin top" on the 3rd figure. XD
If they want the money from tourism they're going to have to deal with people in "inappropriate" attire. Especially if it's hot out. There're also NEVER going to stop people from hugging in public.

Loyal Exhibitionist

Mei tsuki7
If they want the money from tourism they're going to have to deal with people in "inappropriate" attire. Especially if it's hot out. There're also NEVER going to stop people from hugging in public.

They did say that men should not go topless, but they doesn't say anything about tank tops, likely the only clothing they can wear that allows them to stay cool and still be classified as "shoulder to knee". Women can still use tank tops, apparently. The only reason I can see from the second figure on why it's "inappropriate" is that the shorts are way too short.

I think the leg part would be a problem. Most shorts doesn't reach to the knees, I believe, so they will have to get pants or get their shorts customized so it's below the knee. Trying to wear pants in a hot climate will be suicidal.

Anyway, I do have to agree with you with the hugging thing - they will never be able to stop it.
User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show. Short shorts or bust.

Anxious Gekko

Hasuki Aatisuto
Mei tsuki7

They did say that men should not go topless, but they doesn't say anything about tank tops, likely the only clothing they can wear that allows them to stay cool and still be classified as "shoulder to knee". Women can still use tank tops, apparently. The only reason I can see from the second figure on why it's "inappropriate" is that the shorts are way too short.

I think the leg part would be a problem. Most shorts doesn't reach to the knees, I believe, so they will have to get pants or get their shorts customized so it's below the knee. Trying to wear pants in a hot climate will be suicidal.

Anyway, I do have to agree with you with the hugging thing - they will never be able to stop it.

gaia_star gaia_star gaia_star

looks like no tank tops to me looking at the right picture?

i guess men & women are both supposed to just wear those flowy robe things like lawrence of arabia or something.

could be too hot there to hug without feeling gross & sweaty lol.

gaia_star gaia_star gaia_star

Divine Muse

I can't respect any culture than doesn't respect my own culture.
That sundress in the first outfit example IS pretty modest. It's not like people will band together and do a "slutwalk" there in protest or call Femen over there.

Tourists can take their money anywhere, and what does Qatar even have to appeal to a tourism trade? I know this is a grass roots thing but if it takes hold, I'd rather go anywhere but there.

Precious Darling

I think the World Cup should really reflect on the actions of the places where they designate their games.

Qatar is already known to use slave labor to build their infrastructure in anticipation for the world cup. People are literally dying.

SLAVE LABOR.

This summer, Nepalese workers died at a rate of almost one a day in Qatar, many of them young men who had sudden heart attacks. The investigation found evidence to suggest that thousands of Nepalese, who make up the single largest group of labourers in Qatar, face exploitation and abuses that amount to modern-day slavery, as defined by the International Labour Organisation, during a building binge paving the way for 2022.

According to documents obtained from the Nepalese embassy in Doha, at least 44 workers died between 4 June and 8 August. More than half died of heart attacks, heart failure or workplace accidents.

The investigation also reveals:

• Evidence of forced labour on a huge World Cup infrastructure project.

• Some Nepalese men have alleged that they have not been paid for months and have had their salaries retained to stop them running away.

• Some workers on other sites say employers routinely confiscate passports and refuse to issue ID cards, in effect reducing them to the status of illegal aliens.

• Some labourers say they have been denied access to free drinking water in the desert heat.

• About 30 Nepalese sought refuge at their embassy in Doha to escape the brutal conditions of their employment.

http://www.theguardian.com/world/2013/sep/25/revealed-qatars-world-cup-slaves

FIFA needs to move this s**t somewhere else where human rights are not being violated.

Dapper Hunter

6,825 Points
  • Treasure Hunter 100
  • Forum Regular 100
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
Good luck enforcing that Qatar.

To the OP, that avi is pretty sweet so I tipped. 3nodding

Chatty Lunatic

11,775 Points
  • Cat Fancier 100
  • Clambake 200
  • Streaker 200
I'm kind of with them on the leggings issue. Mostly because, fashion-wise, they just look tacky and trashy when women replace pants with them. I don't want to see your obvious wedgie line.

I wouldn't mind covering my hair with a light scarf or some such, but I would be really pissed if someone fined me for wearing a tank top. You just can't take away my tank tops. No, sir.

Kaptain K Rool's Husband

Floppy Member

MemoriesOfGreen
I'm kind of with them on the leggings issue. Mostly because, fashion-wise, they just look tacky and trashy when women replace pants with them. I don't want to see your obvious wedgie line.

I wouldn't mind covering my hair with a light scarf or some such, but I would be really pissed if someone fined me for wearing a tank top. You just can't take away my tank tops. No, sir.

Does it actually say somewhere that people will be fined? I can get behind a campaign for raising awareness of what is considered to be improper behavior in different places. I mean, would you really go around a country flashing the OK sign even if you knew that there, it was the equivalent of the middle finger? When in Rome.

17,450 Points
  • Alchemy Level 9 100
  • The Wolf Within 100
  • Battle: Mage 100
[ Insert name Here ]
MemoriesOfGreen

Does it actually say somewhere that people will be fined? I can get behind a campaign for raising awareness of what is considered to be improper behavior in different places. I mean, would you really go around a country flashing the OK sign even if you knew that there, it was the equivalent of the middle finger? When in Rome.

My point!
Not to mention warm weather doesn't mean you have to walk around in extra-short clothes. Still remember a report on failing air-condition in trains which left everyone overheated. Guess who could cope with it better - those who had long, but relatively loose clothes that weren't too revealing in any sense. It may be a lot of culture and religion in some places, but it's also climate that makes you wear certain things.

Just because it's considered acceptable in some countries (the US, UK and also Germany), it doesn't mean every other country has the same standards. Just got to Italy. Or certain areas in France and Spain. People may be tolerant, but it will still make you odd.

Nimble Wolf

28,875 Points
  • Guildmember 100
  • Hunter 50
  • Invisibility 100
I'd read somewhere only those countries citizens that wouldn't be allowed to vote on the idea were still on the ballot for the games. If it stands true, they may be setting themselves up for financial bankruptcy and invasion of new ideas. :S
hey its their culture.. just sucks for the people who didn't get the memo before hand emotion_awesome oh well they will have to deal with the man short shorts. and mini skirts.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff