Welcome to Gaia! ::

Lupine Hunter

6,825 Points
  • Dressed Up 200
  • Signature Look 250
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
I honestly have never understood the big draw in for soccer in other nations but here in the US it doesn't really seem that big. What drew you to soccer? If you'll excuse my ignorance on the subject, where exactly is the World Cup being held? Is it a tournament style event like March Madness? I'd really like to give soccer a chance and expand my horizons, I just don't know what's so exciting about it. Also, Does the US have a team, and how are they doing?

Newbie Traveler

Hi Stormie,

You have to play it to like it.. If you can't do it in real life, at least try playing it in Fifa computer games. It's a beautiful game. Lots of running involved and lots of cunning too. The players don't need to be too tall or too big. What's important is they have good positioning and handling of the ball. The tactical battles between coaches are good too. A team composed of superstars don't necessarily win. It will all depend on the tactics employed and how the other team will defend/attack. It is the ultimate team sport where players really have no choice but to rely on their teammates. Goals are not made every minute so the anticipation and build up for it are exciting.

To answer your questions, World Cup is held every four years. This year, the host is Brazil. And yes, USA is in the World Cup. They are in Group G together with Germany, Portugal and Ghana. The top 2 teams who emerge from the group stages will move on to the next round. I personally believe that Germany will win all their games in the group stage but USA can get good results from Portugal and Ghana so all hope isn't lost yet for you.

Big Star

Hey there, well it is nice to hear you are willing to give this beautiful game a chance rather than hate it without knowing anything about it.
I disagree actually, the US has showed a lot, I mean, ALOT,of interest last world cup. They have also been following the concacaf and the group stage draw, the official line up, etc.
What drew me to soccer? Before the world cup of 2006 began I really didn't care much, I mean my family (at least my mom lol) are all huge fans of the sport. I didn't care about it, but I joined to watch a Germany match and I completely fell in love with the team, which until they were knocked out in semi finals I actually cried a lot, after the world cup was over, I wanted to follow the players at their clubs because besides from becoming a huge fan of the German NT, I began to love the game. And from there my life was ruined. lol
The world cup is being held in Brazil this year but there has been a lot of corruption for this world cup and Brazil is having so many issues, imo the best world cup was in 2010, it was perfect )except for the fact that Spain won). But hopefully it will lure many people like eight years ago it did to me.
The world cup gathers the highest TV audience, it is said that at least one billion people saw just the final in 2010. It is the biggest sporting event.
The US does have a team, they lost against Ghana in the Round of 16 last year but they tied to englandd which is big in the group stage. They aren't great but they aren't bad.
Hopefully, you'll give football/soccer/futbol a chance, it is very exiting to cheer on your team, maybe you will grow to love it like I did. 3nodding
PS: You don't have to play it to grow in to the game, I played for gym class and I'm pretty good but I don't play for a team or anything.
Hi
wahmbulance wahmbulance wahmbulance wahmbulance wahmbulance

Shirtless Brawler

In the U.S. it never gets any exposure...were more of a sectioned off island rather than the so called "melting pot of the world" sadly :/
StormieOne
I honestly have never understood the big draw in for soccer in other nations but here in the US it doesn't really seem that big. What drew you to soccer? If you'll excuse my ignorance on the subject, where exactly is the World Cup being held? Is it a tournament style event like March Madness? I'd really like to give soccer a chance and expand my horizons, I just don't know what's so exciting about it. Also, Does the US have a team, and how are they doing?

i rather watch a match of soccer than football
soccer is more intense

Beloved Lunatic

19,050 Points
  • Married 100
  • Falling For You 25
StormieOne
As much as it isn't the big thing, it's catching on. I was in New York during last world cup and I was able to watch all matches on TV. If I was in the hotel, we could gather with other people in the lobby that had a TV with the matches and watch it. And if I was around Manhattan, there were a lot of bars that had announcements as to which matches they were showing in their TVs and the times if we wanted to be there.

Asking me what drew me to football (sorry, it's only called soccer in the US) is like asking you what drew the americans to watch the Superbowl.

It's the game you play as a kid everywhere. It's the game you play with your friends when a teenager (well, mostly guys, we girls get weird during our teen-years) and it's the sport most adult males use to keep themselves in shape.

Lupine Hunter

6,825 Points
  • Dressed Up 200
  • Signature Look 250
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
so good so bad
Hey there, well it is nice to hear you are willing to give this beautiful game a chance rather than hate it without knowing anything about it.
I disagree actually, the US has showed a lot, I mean, ALOT,of interest last world cup. They have also been following the concacaf and the group stage draw, the official line up, etc.
What drew me to soccer? Before the world cup of 2006 began I really didn't care much, I mean my family (at least my mom lol) are all huge fans of the sport. I didn't care about it, but I joined to watch a Germany match and I completely fell in love with the team, which until they were knocked out in semi finals I actually cried a lot, after the world cup was over, I wanted to follow the players at their clubs because besides from becoming a huge fan of the German NT, I began to love the game. And from there my life was ruined. lol
The world cup is being held in Brazil this year but there has been a lot of corruption for this world cup and Brazil is having so many issues, imo the best world cup was in 2010, it was perfect )except for the fact that Spain won). But hopefully it will lure many people like eight years ago it did to me.
The world cup gathers the highest TV audience, it is said that at least one billion people saw just the final in 2010. It is the biggest sporting event.
The US does have a team, they lost against Ghana in the Round of 16 last year but they tied to englandd which is big in the group stage. They aren't great but they aren't bad.
Hopefully, you'll give football/soccer/futbol a chance, it is very exiting to cheer on your team, maybe you will grow to love it like I did. 3nodding
PS: You don't have to play it to grow in to the game, I played for gym class and I'm pretty good but I don't play for a team or anything.
Cool. Thanks for the info. I know there are teams here in the states, my state (Ohio has a team, but I never see or hear about them, unlike the hockey team.) I'll have to keep my eyes peeled for a game on ESPN or somewhere.

Invisible Explorer

22,575 Points
  • Conventioneer 300
  • Gifting Gone Wild 250
  • Rat Conqueror 500
Personally, I'm one of those people that find soccer more fun to play than it is to watch but then again I'm more of a baseball fan than a soccer one.

Unsealed Hero

11,225 Points
  • Battle: Mage 100
  • Tested Practitioner 250
  • Alchemy Level 2 100
Soccer is more fun to watch then football, and I am not much of a sports fan. Still I like soccer more, just wish the US was given ore of a chance to not get flattened in its first few games.

Bashful Genius

For us colombians its called Futbol. It's played with your foot, I don't know why North americans refer to it as just "soccer" XD

But it's passionate to watch!! Plus seeing the moves with the feet emotion_kirakira
I learned that you have to understand the game and tricks to like it

Sparkly Shounen

15,150 Points
  • Object of Affection 150
  • Protector of Cuteness 150
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
Football is just part of everyday life in the UK and most of Europe. It's played and watched more than any other sport here, you'd be hard-pressed to find anyone who doesn't understand it or hasn't played it.
I came from one of few families with zero interest in football but I picked it up in the playground by age 5 and had chosen my team. Usually people support their national team and either the team their family supports or that of their home town. Except a lot of young Manchester United supporters haha. As well as the World Cup, there are also continental leagues/cups and each couuntry has its own leagues. Lots of clubs have rivalries with teams that aren't even in the same league, usually the closest town/city's club but also anyone who gave you a right thrashing or nicked your team's song. It's such a great and unpredicatable game that you can get giant mega rich teams playing little teams from small towns with 5,000 capacity stadiums...and losing to them.
When it comes to the World Cup, England has a big rivalry with Germany because of the war and because they keep knocking us out in quarter/semi finals but Germany don't really view us as rivals. The USA hasn't really been viewed as any kind of contender until very recently so most countries see it as quite shameful to be beaten by them. I'm keeping a casual eye on them this time round though.

Rich Entrepreneur

Dickie Twinkles
When it comes to the World Cup, England has a big rivalry with Germany because of the war and because they keep knocking us out in quarter/semi finals but Germany don't really view us as rivals.

Does it mean the rivalry with Argentina is dying out?

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff