Welcome to Gaia! ::

Girl

Its been a year or more since I read any of the books, so all you recent readers please correct me if I'm wrong here but...

I feel like the show Game of Thrones has way too much unnecessary violence and sex, and definitely more of it than the book series. Its just something I've noticed during the most recent season. (spoilers below)

Examples: The whole plot with the Brothers at Craster's Keep that didn't even happen in the books. Was sexually harrassing Meera really a necessary bit in that?

In last weeks episode, there was a scene where The Mountain is shown just brutally killing people for no known reason. If that isn't mindless violence I don't know what is.

I know that in the world of A Song and Ice and Fire, rape and violence are a reality, but the show doesn't need to blatantly state that fact over and over again.

MellishRelish's Senpai

Demigod

14,100 Points
  • Magical Girl 50
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
  • Peoplewatcher 100
It's hbo.
what do you expect. Didn't you see ROME or The Sopranos?

Girl

The Mewts
It's hbo.

That doesn't justify anything

MellishRelish's Senpai

Demigod

14,100 Points
  • Magical Girl 50
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
  • Peoplewatcher 100
Pokemon Grey
The Mewts
It's hbo.

It's not supposed to. That's just what HBO does.

Also i feel like we're stalking eachother, i've talked to you three times today and i've only been online an hour.

Girl

The Mewts
Pokemon Grey
The Mewts
It's hbo.

Also i feel like we're stalking eachother, i've talked to you three times today and i've only been online an hour.

Just because that's what HBO is known for doesn't mean I can ignore the parts of the show that I don't like.

Also, its because we were the only ones active I think. sad

MellishRelish's Senpai

Demigod

14,100 Points
  • Magical Girl 50
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
  • Peoplewatcher 100
Pokemon Grey
The Mewts
Pokemon Grey
The Mewts
It's hbo.

Just because that's what HBO is known for doesn't mean I can ignore the parts of the show that I don't like.

Also, its because we were the only ones active I think. sad

Nobody was asking you to ignore it....

Shaggy Loverboy

I feel the same. The background rape in those scenes were completely unnecessary.

About the nudity though, I agree that there's too much of it...but on the female side. We always get 10 minutes of tits, but the last time we got any peen was three seconds in season 1.

Moar male nudity, dammit. scream

mooshy's Darling

OMFG Babes

They completely took out the bit about the musician too in the Eyrie because that's whom they blame Lysa's death. The only two people in that room were Petyr and Sansa.
That rape scene between Jamie and Cersei was absolutely appalling too.
That whole thing with Xaro Xhoan Daxos wasn't even straight and Doreah died before they made it to Qarth as well as the dragons not being taken.

Wild Bibliophile

17,650 Points
  • Falling For You 25
  • Bookworm 100
  • Battle: Cleric 100
the older you get, the more you'll learn to accept that the show is still a part of hollywood. movies and tv add sex and violence because they are attention grabbers and they do actually work. they are low blows to human emotions/instincts and keeps many viewers hooked, or traps new viewers because it keeps them staring longer. it's just best to keep the two separate and know that tv producers will always make things more over then top than what they are.

Girl

The Golden Boleyn

Oh yeah, I had completely forgotten about the musician to be honest. Now Petyr is definitely the only one to blame for that v.v

Her dragons WERE taken though, weren't they? You're referring to the Warlocks, right?

Elishavette

I don't know how "old" you are, but I'm almost 21, gurl stare I know that its HBO and Hollywood and blah blah blah but that doesn't justify it one bit. Hollywood should change.
Pokemon Grey
I know that in the world of A Song and Ice and Fire, rape and violence are a reality, but the show doesn't need to blatantly state that fact over and over again.

Oh, thank God! It's good to know that it's set in Westeros, and not in the real world. If it was set in the world, there would be far less violence and sex! But thank goodness that it's set in a made up world, and that only bad things ever happen in fictional places. razz

mooshy's Darling

OMFG Babes

Pokemon Grey
The Golden Boleyn

Oh yeah, I had completely forgotten about the musician to be honest. Now Petyr is definitely the only one to blame for that v.v

Her dragons WERE taken though, weren't they? You're referring to the Warlocks, right?

No she just went into the House of the Undying with them or at least one. I know that they weren't stolen and that entire scene is different in the book vs. the show.
IMO the most egregious example is the (now thankfully over) Theon torture scenes. I don't think there was an episode that entire season that didn't include Theon being tortured. Meanwhile in the books, the vast majority of this was all behind the scenes - and IMO for good reason, since it rarely adds story.
Mantravah
IMO the most egregious example is the (now thankfully over) Theon torture scenes. I don't think there was an episode that entire season that didn't include Theon being tortured. Meanwhile in the books, the vast majority of this was all behind the scenes - and IMO for good reason, since it rarely adds story.

It was/is very good for the story.

Without Ramsay torturing Theon, we wouldn't have had Reek. If we just jumped to Reek, the transition would have been lacking in meaning. If we never saw Ramsay torturing him, we wouldn't be able to see what sort of individual he actually was/is. However, in the books, it was fine to just jump to Reek for we are left to realize and wonder who this disturbed person is. When we finally figure out that Reek is Theon, we realize how much of a change he has gone through, completely changing his whole character. With the show, we actually get to see Theon's face, and the trick of leaving us to guess who the character Reek is wouldn't have worked. Therefore it was a necessity.

Newbie Browser

2,900 Points
  • Signature Look 250
  • Citizen 200
  • Full closet 200
As a mid-20 year old woman with raging hormones, I for one am tired of the sex, violence and gore that is hollywood these days. Where is the respect, decency, shame and concern for morality these days?

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff