Welcome to Gaia! ::

Interesting Fairy

15,340 Points
  • Forum Regular 100
  • Athlete 50
  • Bunny Spotter 50
As a group of children walked home together from school in Providence, they held hands and played the "I Spy" guessing game. When they reached a busy intersection, an adult accompanying them prodded, "What's the rule?"

"Behind the line!" they said in unison, as they stepped back from the edge of the curb and waited for the walk signal.

Shortly after, the group stopped in front of 8-year-old Jaiden Guzman's house. He said goodbye to his friends and raced to his front door. His mother waved and the rest of the walking school bus continued on its way.

For a growing number of children in Rhode Island, Iowa and other states, the school day starts and ends in the same way — they walk with their classmates and an adult volunteer to and from school. Walking school buses are catching on in school districts nationwide because they are seen as a way to fight childhood obesity, improve attendance rates and ensure that kids get to school safely.

Ten-year-old Rosanyily Laurenz signed up for the Providence walking school bus this school year. Before, she said, she was sometimes late to school when her grandmother didn't feel well enough to walk with her.

But now, "I get to walk with my friends," Rosanyily said. "Plus, I get snacks."

Many programs across the country are funded by the federal Safe Routes to School program, which pays for infrastructure improvements and initiatives to enable children to walk and bike to school.

Robert Johnson, of the Missouri-based PedNet Coalition, a nonprofit that advocates for transit alternatives, said the success of the programs reflects a growing interest in getting kids more active.

"Every parent is looking for ways to make their child a little healthier, and walking to school is one," he said.

In 2012, about 30 percent of students living within a mile of school walked there in the morning and 35 percent walked home in the afternoon, according to the National Center for Safe Routes to School. Those numbers have increased by about 6 percentage points since 2007.

Organizers in Providence are also motivated by high rates of chronic absenteeism. Thirty-seven percent of Providence students missed 10 percent or more of the 2010-11 school year.

The nonprofit agency Family Service of Rhode Island targeted Mary E. Fogarty Elementary School for its first walking school bus in 2012 because it's located in one of the city's poorest neighborhoods. Children who live within a mile of school don't qualify for the bus.

In Sioux City, Iowa, nearly 1,000 children in 10 elementary schools use walking school buses during the spring and fall, said Alison Benson, spokeswoman for the district. Benson said the program has helped the schools incorporate fitness into the morning routine and build a sense of community.

Elementary schools in Columbia, Missouri, were among the first in the nation to have walking school buses. Piloted in 2003, the program, at its height, involved 450 children, 13 schools and about 200 volunteers. It was canceled this year because of funding issues, according to the PedNet Coalition.

Johnson said he is working with 15 school districts in Kansas on what may become the largest walking school bus project in the United States.

Some districts have been able to cut school bus routes and save money because of the program, he said.

On the milelong route in Providence, the program's manager, Allyson Trenteseaux, and another volunteer recently led Jaiden, Rosanyily and six other children through busy intersections and around broken glass littering the sidewalks.

On the walks, Trenteseaux said, she mends relationships among the kids, builds relationships and intervenes when there are problems. During the winter, a walk leader noticed some of the children were wearing slippers and bought them all boots.

Last year, 11 of the 14 students who participated and completed a survey attended school more often. The program now has a waiting list, and Family Service plans to expand into more schools next year.

Kids

JamesWN's Secret Admirer

Spoopy Bibliophile

Darn,not the magic school bus.:<

15,850 Points
  • Protector of Cuteness 150
  • Flatterer 200
  • Somebody Likes You 100
good way to save on gas

Snuggly Buddy

29,150 Points
  • Conversationalist 100
  • Mark Twain 100
  • Conventioneer 300
Um. okay.
It is actually a good thing, it just seems a bit common sense. Thought it might depend some where you live of course. My area is not only rural (much of it anyway) so you have the distance thing - plus it rains here a lot. and snows. Not a happy time in really bad weather.

But at one place my daughter lived she often walked the kids to school because it was a fairly short distance. I know there were times it would have been nice if she could have just had the kids go with a supervised group.

Friendly Explorer

10,050 Points
  • Citizen 200
  • Friendly 100
  • Treasure Hunter 100
That could save gas and all if you live within several blocks of your school. but when you live several miles away you need wheels.

Quotable Informer

20,825 Points
  • Elysium's Gatekeeper 100
  • Partygoer 500
  • Frozen Sleuth 100
Kasumi the Young Princess
That could save gas and all if you live within several blocks of your school. but when you live several miles away you need wheels.
Would help is schools were again neighborhood schools. Kids wouldn't have to be bussed then.

Wintry Dragon

I was expecting Miyazaki to be involved. emo
This has been a thing for YEARS, it's not news.

I am graduating from university this year. I used the walking school bus when I was in elementary school. Only, it was run by parents & the school itself, not social services. We had a wagon to put all our school bags in.

Wintry Dragon

Henrika

I am graduating from university this year. I used the walking school bus when I was in elementary school. Only, it was run by parents & the school itself, not social services. We had a wagon to put all our school bags in.
It seems news to me. I've never seen it before. I guess my school was an hour away from my home so that sort of thing was not feasible in my time. Is there a walking car pool counter part?
A mali
Henrika

It seems news to me. I've never seen it before. I guess my school was an hour away from my home so that sort of thing was not feasible in my time. Is there a walking car pool counter part?
Well if it's a carpool you're not walking.

Wintry Dragon

Henrika
A mali
Henrika

Well if it's a carpool you're not walking.
Same concept as the walking school bus I would think. You go together as a smaller group led by a designated parent. Ha ha.

Aged Lunatic

Kasumi the Young Princess

Beat me to it.

Yea, idea works great if you live a few blocks away.

Doesn't work so great if you live 15 miles or more away.

Nimble Wolf

28,875 Points
  • Guildmember 100
  • Hunter 50
  • Invisibility 100
Never an option where I lived. My schools were at least a mile away, one of which was located in a heavy traffic area by an interstate. Had it existed, or the school was way closer, I'd be all for it.

Interesting Fairy

15,340 Points
  • Forum Regular 100
  • Athlete 50
  • Bunny Spotter 50
III_of_Wands
Never an option where I lived. My schools were at least a mile away, one of which was located in a heavy traffic area by an interstate. Had it existed, or the school was way closer, I'd be all for it.
Maybe they need a huge bridge over the interstate so one can cross it so walking is a option without playing leap frog across traffic.

Dapper Lunatic

13,025 Points
  • Millionaire 200
  • Magical Girl 50
  • Partygoer 500
Don't some parents do this with their kids already? Unofficially, I mean.

I can't think of any cons to this, as long as they're able to find a responsible adult. *Shrug*

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff