-Sniffle-Doodle-
Moogle Voodoo
-Sniffle-Doodle-
Moogle Voodoo
User Image Here's a bright idea:

Talk to them about it and put your foot down

Did that, got a bunch of whining

User Image Kick them out then.

We can't cause we moved into a more expensive apt than we can afford cause they refused to do a 2 bedroom, since they wanted more space. We went with it cause we trusted them since my boyfriend and Fred have been best friends since childhood.... so now we are stuck with them.

All talking to them does is being excuse after excuse. It's super annoying and frustrating. They act like I am evil for asking for them to contribute to the chores.

User Image That's why you go looking for other roommates after kicking these shitheads out

I wouldn't know where to look, however we have considered this idea before.

Kawaii Autobiographer

4,600 Points
  • Autobiographer 200
  • Signature Look 250
  • Happy Birthday! 100
I like your username.

You could gas them out?
Toxilicks
I like your username.

You could gas them out?

Haha thanks. I made it up back like eight years ago when I joined gaia.

I wish!! But unfortunately I'm nice.... which is how I got in this situation

Destructive Detective

19,200 Points
  • Bunny Spotter 50
  • Elocutionist 200
  • Cat Fancier 100
i'd have more sympathy if you hadn't mentioned the chore chart. you're not their mother and you have no right to try to force them to clean up when they don't want to. if you leave before your lease is up you may still be legally required to pay the rent for the duration of the time you signed on for. also, laundry detergent in not essential in most cases for cleaning clothes, believe it or not. the washer's agitation is what removes dirt, and detergent can actually make clothes look grimy, fade, and wear out faster. too much can damage the washer.
Ratttking
i'd have more sympathy if you hadn't mentioned the chore chart. you're not their mother and you have no right to try to force them to clean up when they don't want to. if you leave before your lease is up you may still be legally required to pay the rent for the duration of the time you signed on for. also, laundry detergent in not essential in most cases for cleaning clothes, believe it or not. the washer's agitation is what removes dirt, and detergent can actually make clothes look grimy, fade, and wear out faster. too much can damage the washer.

I made the chore chart two months after we moved in cause they literally did nothing. Wouldn't even put their dishes in the dishwasher, just left it for me to do. Wouldn't take out trash, left it by the front door for me to do. I Didn't Want To Make A chore chart, but felt I had no choice since I refuse to live in a nasty house (my parents home was nasty and hoarded growing up, gross stuff gives me anxiety thanks to that. And they knew it going into it) and I work 12 hour days. They agreed to it.

Oh yea well their clothes are permanently smelling of mold now so it clearly didn't work for them to do their laundry that way. Plus they leave their clothes in the washer all wet for days til it reaks of mold then dry the clothes without rewashing them.....

Destructive Detective

19,200 Points
  • Bunny Spotter 50
  • Elocutionist 200
  • Cat Fancier 100
-Sniffle-Doodle-
Ratttking

I made the chore chart two months after we moved in cause they literally did nothing. Wouldn't even put their dishes in the dishwasher, just left it for me to do. Wouldn't take out trash, left it by the front door for me to do. I Didn't Want To Make A chore chart, but felt I had no choice since I refuse to live in a nasty house (my parents home was nasty and hoarded growing up, gross stuff gives me anxiety thanks to that. And they knew it going into it) and I work 12 hour days. They agreed to it.

Oh yea well their clothes are permanently smelling of mold now so it clearly didn't work for them to do their laundry that way. Plus they leave their clothes in the washer all wet for days til it reaks of mold then dry the clothes without rewashing them.....
And you did the dishes too, right? not everyone cares about having clean dishes, some people just wash as they need them. agreed, eh? too bad you believed them, you should learn not to be so trusting. i'm really surprised your bf didn't know his lifelong friend was such a slob, or if he did know, that he didn't tell you. have you asked him about this?

gross, but not caused by lack of detergent, it was caused by leaving the clothes wet for days. even if they'd used it the same thing would happen. also bleaching will get rid of the smell, but i guess that's beyond them.

anyway, i've had roommates far worse than this. a dirty house is nothing compared to worrying that your dog might get thrown out the window by a psychopath while you're working or your place burn down because they passed out drunk with stuff on the stove and didn't wake up when the alarm went off.
Ratttking
-Sniffle-Doodle-
Ratttking

And you did the dishes too, right? not everyone cares about having clean dishes, some people just wash as they need them. agreed, eh? too bad you believed them, you should learn not to be so trusting. i'm really surprised your bf didn't know his lifelong friend was such a slob, or if he did know, that he didn't tell you. have you asked him about this?

gross, but not caused by lack of detergent, it was caused by leaving the clothes wet for days. even if they'd used it the same thing would happen. also bleaching will get rid of the smell, but i guess that's beyond them.

anyway, i've had roommates far worse than this. a dirty house is nothing compared to worrying that your dog might get thrown out the window by a psychopath while you're working or your place burn down because they passed out drunk with stuff on the stove and didn't wake up when the alarm went off.

Yea unfortunately we were both too trusting.... my boyfriend knew he was messy in the past but thought he would have grown up throughout time to at least clean after himself... or at least have a girlfriend who cleaned... but no instead they are both equally lazy and nasty...

Yea I always bleach the washer after the use it now cause I refuse to smell like mold due to their nasty behavior.

I was more looking for advice by this post on how to remedy the situation since I am anxious all the time cause its always so nasty at home due to them. Their room radiates the smell of moldy food and clothing, they destroy the game room (they thought a computer gaming room would be fun, it's like a bro room), treat it like a second bedroom essetially, their bathroom reaks and has never been cleaned... and they stink up the apartment. Just makes me sick cause it reminds me of the smell of my parents home growing up...

Destructive Detective

19,200 Points
  • Bunny Spotter 50
  • Elocutionist 200
  • Cat Fancier 100
-Sniffle-Doodle-
Ratttking
-Sniffle-Doodle-
Ratttking

Yea unfortunately we were both too trusting.... my boyfriend knew he was messy in the past but thought he would have grown up throughout time to at least clean after himself... or at least have a girlfriend who cleaned... but no instead they are both equally lazy and nasty...

Yea I always bleach the washer after the use it now cause I refuse to smell like mold due to their nasty behavior.

I was more looking for advice by this post on how to remedy the situation since I am anxious all the time cause its always so nasty at home due to them. Their room radiates the smell of moldy food and clothing, they destroy the game room (they thought a computer gaming room would be fun, it's like a bro room), treat it like a second bedroom essetially, their bathroom reaks and has never been cleaned... and they stink up the apartment. Just makes me sick cause it reminds me of the smell of my parents home growing up...
sounds like your bf had not recently been to his friend's old place, and those are far-fetched assumptions to make. people don't tend to become neater as they age, i've noticed the exact opposite, and why would a neatnik date a slob?

perhaps a good air filter would help rid the place of the smells. one with HEPA filtration would remove the mold particles from the air. there are also some designed to remove pet odors such as those emanating from a dirty litter box. you could also keep their doors closed. i don't see any way of making them clean up, so it looks like you and your bf will have to resign yourselves to being the housekeepers for the common areas for the duration of the lease.
I've had issues with my roommates as well. I'm here by myself and they are a couple, so no matter what happens it's always 2 against 1. One time my male roommate had a cold and he'd leave his snotty tissues all over the kitchen counter, stuffed inside garbage like pudding cups and on the bathroom counter despite the fact the toilet is right there. When I brought it up his girlfriend just said I was worse because I left ketchup on my plate the other night... Despite the fact I'm the one that does the dishes and we have a dishwasher so yeah.

I've also had problems with them smoking pot in the house, which gives me a massive headache, and issues with them making a lot of noise even though they know I have a sleeping disorder. You mentioned them leaving clothes in the washer? My roommates do that all the time too, for days. Our washer and dryer are in its own room so you dont even notice till you walk in. I go into it to do my laundry and the smell of rotten clothes is like a punch in the face.

I am sure I have done things to annoy them too though.
Theres no such thing as perfect roommates, just ones that are less bad than others. Mine are alright but we have had a lot more issues in this past year. My solution? I'm moving out at the end of the month to a 1 bedroom apartment on my own.

As for your roommates I would try sitting them down for a sort of 'family meeting' type thing. Tell them how you don't feel they are pulling their weight and point out some of the other things you have problems with. In the end if they refuse to change there is nothing much you can do other than move out or kick them out if their names aren't on the lease.
BroStudies443
-Sniffle-Doodle-
So, just the quick background: my boyfriend and I wanted to move, and could afford to live on our own (and at the time were). But my boyfriends best friend and his girlfriend (who I will refer to as Fred and Jane) couldn't afford to live alone, and weren't getting along with their current roommates, so my boyfriend and I agreed to help them by looking to rent with them instead of alone cause it's his best friend since childhood. I agreed to it just to be supportive of what my boyfriend felt was right. So we found a bigger apartment, which we cannot afford alone however can afford with roommates....

Anyways, so since moving in, we have realized they are really effing lazy. They won't take the trash out, do dishes, clean up after themselves, offer to help with anything.... they don't even clean up after their caged pet.

I am a clean freak so for the last several months it has been up to me and my boyfriend to clean up after ourselves AND our roommates... when we ask them to contribute they often refuse or act as if it is rude to ask them to do simple chores like empty the dishwasher or take the trash out. Jane pretty much acts like I'm the devil cause I dislike messes or stinky smells. She's made comments in front of my boyfriend about me. She has opened our mail, too, and knows no boundries. She comes in and out of my room as she pleases, same with our bathroom, and constantly ease-drops....

Fred has made comments basically that they shouldn't have to help with chores cause they supposedly don't do much.

Mind you they both only work part time and are home four days a week.... all they do is play computer games and eat. All. Day. Long. While my boyfriend and I work over full time often and buy and Lloyd things for the apartment cause we actually value soap (which they don't have in their bathroom, disgusting!!) And laundry detergent (they will wash laundry with none if we are out or hide it, also disgusting)....

I honestly just don't know how I will survive the next 8 months. So I was wondering if anyone has any roommate stories or advice, good or bad to share and discuss. (:

TLDR

Do you have roommates or have you had them?
Was it or is it a good experience or bad?
Have any advice or things that work well with roommates?
Do you have roommate horror stories?
Anything else roommate related?

I literally did not read any of this. Why? Because you wrote way too much, a giant block of text. This is a common problem with the women on this forum. Sorry I can't help, my time is valuable and I don't ave time to read a novel.

Also, vote in my poll:

http://www.gaiaonline.com/forum/lifestyle-discussion/poll-in-your-opinion-what-is-the-most-elite-college-degree/t.92139865_76/

Sorry my time is to valuable to take the time to vote in some sexist pricks poll.

Kawaii Sentai

User Image
User ImageUser Image

In my experience with roomates, keep all your stuff separated and locked and ignore each others messes. If their dishes are piling up, push them over and wash yours. Keep your clean dishes in your room. For appliances, only clean a section of them that you use. If its something small like a microwave, consider buying your own and locking it in your room. if there are any main items you use, like tv and sofa, you might want to invest in a tv system in your room and watch it on your bed. Thats comfortable I tell ya!
Hope any of this helps

User ImageUser Image

Wheezing Bunny

-Sniffle-Doodle-
Trust me we both see the problem just don't know what to do about it. Cause we were nice and now we are being taken advantage of.

yum_tea

Well, that's good . Since you're both in the same page
and the guy is your boyfriend's best friend, you can both talk to him first .
If they still whine about it, tell them they're being douches and get out .
Don't let yourselves become maids to those people, because then they'll
never learn .

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas