Welcome to Gaia! ::

Not in a mood to talk to much of anyone (thus, the retreat) Julian was even less pleased than he might have been to see Kindle. "How did you get in?" He hissed, letting a sullen rage pulse harmlessly beneath his bones. He barely took notice, at first, of Kindle's mocking. It happened all the time, so why should now be any different? But there was something about his words that was not right. Something about his taunts that did not fit. And that, to place an insult that did not strike right at the center of his mark, was very unlike Kindle. So he puzzled silently over the knight's words while Kindle continued to talk, and when a break in the momentum of insults came, he spoke up with more interest than anger.

"Why are you here, Dragon Knight?"

Kindle looked at Julian with much more light in his eyes. He could never applaud Julian for his intelligence nor could he ever fault the young elf either. It was a constant stillness, a game of back and fourth with the shapeless mage. “Oh, whatever could you mean why am I here?”

“Naturally, I had no intention of telling you anything, but I have found it might come to great use in the near future if I inform you, just a bit.” His eyes turned towards the door, as if to hint something to the mage and then quickly found Julian’s eyes.

Kindle wasn’t quite sure how he felt about releasing such information to Julian, but if the Queen found out the consequence would be much dire than if Julian got his hands on porcelain skin. Skin that he would never deserve to touch, skin that Kindle dared to believe would never be his to touch either—even if he knew that they would both surely attempt to ruin such beauty.

Uncharacteristically Kindle decided to be forward with his request, not wanting to waste anymore time. “If you swear loyalty to me over the Queen, my lord, then I will let you in on a little secret concerning a mutual interest.”

If Julian had failed to comply to his demands it would be simple enough to steal away his little princess—he would be none the wiser and Kindle could find himself not dealing with much of anything at court any longer. But if Julian decided to agree, Kindle was certain it would give him a semi great ally when it came to the end of Magnolia’s reign, if only for a bittersweet price.

xx

Ceatherine’s eyes could not contain the joy he felt when she took his suggestion rather well. “Whatever the princess desires of me, I promise I shall do my best to meet her wishes.” It had been simple and Ceath hoped it had still managed to keep a sweetness that was only deserving of her beautifully shaped ears. The ginger prince had always envied the beauty of the elves and the elegance of their obvious distinctions from humans.

However his fantasy was quickly ripped apart as his lady was replaced by something else entirely, there was no lingering suggestion of blossoming love between them, only unnatural fear that he hadn’t known could exist from the thought of a single woman. He cooed softly in the space between them, “My princess, she would never know.” He looked at the Halfling above them and then back into her green eyes. “My friend Karl will teach me the ways of the walls, none of the servants will know a thing.” He had hoped to be comforting, but felt that fear was beginning to erupt in his throat as well.

Perhaps she hadn’t wanted him and was just trying to save herself from the embarrassment of his advances.
Julian concealed his surprise well, but it was still there. Surprise that Kindle would speak to him so bluntly (actually telling someone anything seemed inimical to the knight's nature), surprise that Kindle would suggest Julian's treason, surprise that Kindle would care at this point who sat on the throne. He could have seized it, should have taken it, when River first lay dead. Even before that, really.

"Why now?" Julian asked, testing the waters carefully. He had no idea how deep they went, or where they might lead. "Why ask me?" It was no secret that he and Kindle hated each other; at least Magnolia would not expect an alliance like this. Ah but it remained that her watchers would be here, as always. "Why ask so boldly what you are not certain of?" He glanced toward a tapestry he knew concealed at least one hole for a watcher to peer through.

Kindle didn’t blink at Julian’s questions; he didn’t bother to bat a single eyelash.

“Why now.” He repeated the question back to Julian in a flat tone as if to expect the mage to understand the stupidity of his question based on that alone. Of course he wouldn’t, Kindle was well aware. Questions, even stupid ones, were part of nature for the lesser beings that walked the earth, the prince only found himself asking them as a means to appear somewhat natural among them.

But the idea that Magnolia being queen wouldn’t bother him had faltered suddenly. It hadn’t been that Kindle minded Magnolia’s reign, nothing about it had been exactly horrible at least in terms of his conditions. But then he had to go and find himself unimaginably entertained and captive in the small hands of a young human royal, one who…

He didn’t bother explaining this to Julian, it should have been easy enough to piece together. Kindle had by no means made this part of his game hard. He had decided that despite his natural mystery and enigmatic speech, it would be too tiring for the moment. But only for the moment.

“Why ask you.” He repeated another one of Julian’s silly little questions and shook his head softly. “Are you so dim witted that you couldn’t at least come up with one reason enough for any of your tedious questions.”

“Don’t bother looking at the wall.” Kindle finally snapped, tired of Julian’s ignorance. “There is no one watching us, that I can assure you.” The dark haired man’s normal air of seduction and charm had wavered; he was left with strong irritation that would only result in cold speech towards the other man—something that he rarely allowed so open. He hoped in this small act of honesty that Julian would pull himself together, if he decided not to Kindle wouldn’t feel even the smallest obligation to keep him alive.

After a moment, his anger dispersed and he sat down in one of the several chairs lounging about in the room. “You ask me why now, and I’ll tell you it has nothing to do with time, not really.” His voice was cool, but not as filled with ice as moments before. “It isn’t much about wanting the crown either.”

Kindle’s eyes flickered towards his hands and the side of his lips quirked suddenly. He pushed himself from the chair and gave a smile that did not reach his eyes. “Did you know that the prince of Ilentalien offered Rivverton the young not yet crowned princess in order to keep her from the throne?” Kindle was well aware that Julian wouldn’t have heard such a thing, it had been hushed and murdered with the King himself.

“You see, this is important Julian, because in Ilentalien they do not pick the first born male to be king, or female to be queen. No, instead, they have the first born male and the first born female go through a series of trials after the youngest of the two turns twenty. Of course, this changes if the country is in dire need, but it wasn’t at the time. However, this could also be avoided if one of the two eldest is married off before the time comes.”

“Prince Hamish thought that if he gave his younger sister to River, he could be King of Ilentalien and in alliance with our great nation. Rivverton had planned to accept, shamming Magnolia in front of the court.” He continued, “Obviously our Queen was not happy about this in the slightest when she found out, and well…You know the rest.”

Kindle was smiling now, broad and impolite without a hint of remorse. “And then she had me lead troops to slaughter the two children of the royal family, and I did, but not after Hamish had already seen to the death of his own father—his mother the Queen, well, she is off in one of their palaces somewhere.”

“When we went to meet Hamish, falsely introducing ourselves as friends, he told me of his sister and her childhood game of playing a lady knight.” The prince looked pointedly at the mage, “And in his kindness, I killed him and his collection of guards, found his sister alone with another knight practicing some sword form or another, and as far as the Queen knows, the royal lineage of the Day family is at ruin for the Queen herself has grown very ill.”

“Do you understand now what I am saying, my lord?”
Kindle's deception hit like a brick, leaving Julian wide-eyed and silent for a moment longer than he should have been. How could he not have seen it? He had been half-aware, certainly; he had known Badb was not a mere knight, not even a Queen's guard knight. But somehow the thought that she might be a Queen herself had not quite occurred to him.

Kindle's abrasive manner made him scowl, as always, but it got the information across. "You want to overthrow Magnolia and reinstate Badb in her home." It was not a question, but the motive of the knight still escaped Julian. After Kindle's annoyance, he thought it best to wait and puzzle over the question of 'why' later.

"And you want my help in this…endeavor." Julian finished, since that at least he knew for sure. Though the rationale behind that seemed just as murky. "Have you any plan, beyond a vague goal?" It gave him a tiny bit of pleasure to taunt the knight, though he was certain the jab would be turned aside without effort.

Kindle stared at Julian for a long moment. “Help? Well, no I don’t really want you to help—you’re going to help. Unless you’d like a war on your hands.” He licked his bottom lip carefully as he tried to be patient. “It isn’t a really demanding request, especially considering you’ve been ogling her since the moment she took a breath in your presence.”

He gasped as Julian brought up the notion of a plan. A plan! Why hadn’t he dared to even think of one? His hand reached his chest and laid on it, as he was taken back by the suggestion. “Julian, you’re right I haven’t even thought how to go about this!” His tone was dripping in sarcasm as he play acted for the dark skinned man, eyes glittering with distain.

The dragon knight gave Julian a moment to let the wave of sarcasm was over him. Once feeling content with Julian’s reaction, Kindle continued, “Yes. I have a plan.” Kindle had to hold back a sneer. “But the plan doesn’t include you—not yet. Your job is to keep her,” He gestured to the door, “Close, so that if she does anything improper for a servant the only person who will notice is you.”
Julian's scowl started the moment Kindle spoke, and only deepened as time went on. "Excellent. That's just, you know, most of what I've been doing. But now I will be making the conscious decision to do it, which will make all the difference." The dryness in his voice could have started a desert. Two could play at that game. "Was that all, sir knight?"

Kindle grinned cruelly at Julian then, the mage thought he was so clever. The dragon knight knew otherwise. “My lord, if to further explain you should do your best to keep her in your chambers—not constantly keeping her out as you have been doing so. Quite well mind you.”

“So well, I dare say you deserve an applause.” He clapped his hands together candidly, still smiling though it was not filled with joy in the slightest. “To be able to keep a woman so actively away from you is an amazing feat; I dare say I do not understand the appeal however.”

“Though, if you would prefer, I wouldn’t mind keeping her in my bed chambers for the remainder of the summer. At least we’d both find ourselves pleasured and quite content with each other’s company.”
"No." Julian's retort was sharper than he'd meant it to be. "That won't be necessary." He bit down on the rest of his response, mostly because it would only draw more derision rather than any lingering desire to be polite. "I can take care of it." The stiffness of his voice concealed his lack of confidence, for the most part.

Kindle gave Julian the politest smile he could muster. “Well then you should get to your duty, my lord.” He gave the mage a slight mocking bow and headed towards the front door—he had no desire to show the other man the secrets of the walls and the small sight of Amelia would naturally brighten his day. It was expected to after all and when he found himself in a the main chamber of Julian's quarters without her presence he looked grimly back at the other man. "Well, wherever did you send her too?"
Julian had hung back, looking forward to a few last moments of peace before rejoining the world, but now he frowned and stepped forward. "I didn't send her anywhere. If she left, it was because she had something to do." He didn't add that his parting comment had been an awkward kind of dismissal.

Kindle stared blankly at Julian. “Well, then how about you go find her? So you know, she doesn’t get her head chopped off and such.” He waved his hand for emphasis. “I’m sure she’s in her room, I’ll have a servant fetch her for you.” And with that Kindle left to do just as he had told the mage.

xx

Amelia walked into the room carefully, Kindle had told her not to bother to knock when he caught her walking aimlessly in the hallway. His tone had been hushed and a tad husky, but she couldn’t bother herself with thoughts of the dragon knight. It would do her no good, not now or ever. When she walked into the room her eyes held the floor, still feeling dismissed from Julian.
Julian had sat back down, staring at the book in his lap, tracing the borders without paying attention to what he was doing. What was he supposed to say? He was quite sure Kindle hadn't told her anything, but then, the Dragon Knight hadn't told him much of anything either. Finally he decided on telling her the only thing he was good at; what little truth he knew. No lie he could think of would do any more than drive her away.

"I'm sorry I insulted you." He spoke very slowly, sound out each word so that it wouldn't split or shake. "It was not my intention."

Amelia didn’t know what to say in reply to Julian’s sudden apology. She hadn’t really expected one considering the way he dismissed her with such haste earlier. She didn’t look up at him however; Kindle had made the comment that she was too obvious with her lack of discipline. “There is nothing to apologize for, my lord.” She informed him in a quiet but crisp voice. Her eyes flickered up to him for only a moment, taking in the small nervous gestures that were often found on the court mage.

“It was bold of me to even imply such a thing and I am guilty of insulting you in such a way.”
"Strangely enough," Julian said, sighing. "That doesn't make me feel any better." He closed his eyes, letting his hand fall still an searching for something, anything to say. "And you speak again of insults. I take none from words you speak as you think them; they mean more than those kept quiet for a time. Please," he turned to face her, trying to catch her gaze and holding the book a little more tightly than he needed to. "Please believe I meant no insult to you, lady." It was not the proper honorific, but if all had been as it seemed he would not have needed to use it at all. But nothing was what it looked like on the surface, and in Magnolia's court it was about time he got used to that.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff