Welcome to Gaia! ::

Dapper Shapeshifter

8,200 Points
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
  • Tycoon 200
  • Wall Street 200
This could be my unbearable, job-related exhaustion talking but I'm thinking Gaia's doing all of this hullabaloo to make Gaia frustrating enough to quit and join that other site. I could be super wrong here though so don't take this sleep-deprived post seriously. u_u;

Divine Whisperer

31,725 Points
  • Friendly 100
  • Invisibility 100
  • Peoplewatcher 100
You know, I came in here expecting to make another "hour of typing" post, but you've all said it pretty well.
The items shouldn't exist if you can be "explicit" just by wearing them... if you have to spend time trying to make sure there won't be an issue, there's a problem.
I shouldn't have to worry about whether my avatar can be seen as explicit or suggestive or "not pg-13".

Did you know? on PG-13 and any cable TV in general, they censor vomit? I recall watching the howard stern show once and seeing someone puke, and they threw a mosaic over it. So thanks for "Premium Cat Feast".
Violence is kept to a minimum... Thanks for letting me decapitate myself and tear out my own organs.
Do people get reported for things like that?

So why would you warn someone for wearing another item? And it is the item, I'm quite sure. Say I'm wearing nothing but the crotch grab. That leaves my underwear there. Still looks explicit to me, since it's entirely possible to cover yourself without shoving your hands between your legs. you can put a hand over your crotch with your fingers extended, and that would stop anyone in front of you from seeing. But this item puts your fingers in-between. For a male avatar, no real harm, except you're definitely touching your genitals then. For a female avatar, also definitely touching genitals.
The Punishing items were definitely sexual, but I see they've fixed the biggest problem. Though I would ask in what situation I'd need a whip, aside from sexual ones.

Hukidasi, if you know any Japanese, at least the first pose would only be used in a sexual encounter. The second one is pushing it (rape scenario) but I think it could be used in other situations, that aren't as explicit.

Basically, you shouldn't have to worry about whether your avatar is going to get you warned or not. They are items, within your system, made by your artists. If all I have to do to be suggestive with your system is have like 3 items equipped, that's a problem. Moreso the less I have to equip. As a user and customer of your website, I shouldn't have to worry if making my avi vomit is going to get me warned. Or having it decapitated, or having my hands a certain way.
Because that is fear, fear of an item or items, and that translates to lost sales.

Mega Genius

14,100 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Nerd 50
  • Mark Twain 100
this ad - made by gaia - pretty well proves that it's the item itself that is sexually explicit:

User Image

Dedicated Conventioneer

diet otaku
this ad - made by gaia - pretty well proves that it's the item itself that is sexually explicit:

User Image

Indeed, Indeed. Keep that behind closed doors Gaia. Shame on you.

ElectricTerra's Senpai

Salty Bilge rat

44,725 Points
  • Abomination 100
  • Team Carl 200
  • Alchemy Level 10 100
diet otaku

User Image

User Image
Yeah, I really have to say... that ad looks like an obvious masturbation reference to me. This line between "too sexual" and "ok to use" is far too blurry. If they want to keep the avatars free of sexual references, they shouldn't be making these sorts of items at all.

The open mouth with those bedroom-looking eyes, pasties over the crotch, and suggestive hand poses are just as suggestive of masturbation as a blushing face and dropped pants.

Lucky Risk-Taker

There is going to be sexual stuff in kids lives and trusted adults (parents, teachers, community leaders, adult family members, school counselors, etc) need to help kids process their reactions in a healthy way. That's not always feasible, given the complex societal problems that result is insufficient child supervision and guidance, in a critical period when kids need guidance and supervision most.

There are many people who have dedicated their lives to figuring out these problems and fighting for solutions. Individual companies can help or make it worse, even if the law is a "gray area."

Robotic Rabbit

44,150 Points
  • Seasoned Warrior 250
  • Survivor 150
  • Tested Practitioner 250
I read this thread earlier today and, while I'll keep my thoughts to myself, I decided to try and see if I could make a sexually suggestive avatar with what I had.

User Image
Eh...

Right, I'll leave now.
THE WHlTE QUEEN
diet otaku

User Image

Indeed, Indeed. Keep that behind closed doors Gaia. Shame on you.

But didn't you know sex sells? It's not Gaia's fault if the users FOLLOW THEIR EXAMPLE!
I mean...didn't you know that you can make an effort to NOT be explict with EXPLICT items? {end sarcasm}

Seriously, the whole problem the user base is having is because of the descriptions and advertisements on top of an already suggestive set of poses.

We do not need a double standard. One will do quite nicely.

Divine Muse

Nauseating. I'm so sorry that happened to you, OP.

If Gaia is so stringent about explicit material, they need to remove every questionable item and refund the users. Of course, that will never happen.

Lucky Risk-Taker

How's this for explicit?

Cunning Lunatic

diet otaku

User Image

What would it be if you added the flicking tongue? Too Explicit? Sexually suggestive?
I think it takes it too far.

Snuggly Buddy

29,150 Points
  • Conversationalist 100
  • Mark Twain 100
  • Conventioneer 300
Morbid Gnome
Throttle Kitty
I recently received a warning for equipping my Kama's Suggestion arm pose, I was informed that my avatar was considered "sexually explicit" because it was in the middle of a "sexual act" because at the time of the item being released, the arm pose removed the bottoms, I simply equipped a blush item to my avatar with these arms, and had her open her mouth and nothing else (minus my ears and tail and stuff that's on everything) - and that made it 'explicit'?
You're forgetting that you also had mUltipants equipped with the "whoops" pose. So your avatar had its pants around its ankles, was blushing with hearts around its head, and the hand over her uncovered groin. It was clearly meant to look like a masturbation scene which is why it was deemed Sexually Inappropriate and you were given a warning.

Throttle Kitty
one for "suggestive art" when the art forum CLEARLY states suggestive art and artist nudity are allowed and the art in questing DID NOT EVEN CONTAIN NUDITY and was in NO WAY explicit or overly sexuallized, and contained no sexual act at all. I've ordered art just like it in the past and it was okay, I have even ordered art very similar to it from a FA not to long ago and it was okay, but now suddenly even mildly suggestive art is enough to get me a warning and a 10 billion gold art contest totally shut down after it had over a dozen entries....
The art you're referring to clearly contained nudity. I'm looking at it right now and the breasts on one entry, which you mark NSFW, are clearly exposed. If you've forgotten which image I'm referring to, I'd be glad to provide a link via PM as proof of what your art contest contained and which images we found to be especially problematic.

Regarding the first part -
Are you seriously trying to argue that an item that causes the the avatar to be grabbing its crotch is not already sexually explicit on it's own? (or any less so) In either version it is still suggestive. It's not like it shows a finger entering the v****a or anything.

Let's be realistic. An item like that is sold with the purpose of it being very sexually suggestive. Given that Gaia avatars do not even have (AFAIK) vaginas, nipples or penises it is rather hard to get sexually "explicit". But either way it comes off as hypocritical for Gaia to sell things intended to look sexual and then reprimand users who purchase that product and make their avatars look sexual. How much crotch holding would you want to see in a Disney movie before you started thinking maybe it was not a good movie for kids?

This double standard thing is not a new thing for Gaia. Just like not wanting users to swear much and try to have a mostly clean image but then intentionally creating items with very suggestive descriptions like -
Sofa - "SofaKing Comfortable!"
Boots - "Ribbed for her pleasure".

If Gaia really wants users to clean up their acts they should start at home.

Sugary Gaian

Morbid Gnome

As for removing v. editing: We do not edit other user's posts. And when it comes to sensitive content, we are not going to send a request to the user to do an edit since they may or may not comply, which means the content lingers in public view where it should not be.

Now this has me confused. I have had several art shops before and I still do now and one time I was warned by a mod to edit or remove some content from my shop because they were against TOS and if I didnt comply even after I was warned, I will get banned. That mod gave me warning, time to comply and a fair chance. Why couldn't you (if you were the mod) and or the mod(s) who closed down the OP's thread do the same? And how would you know if the person will or will not comply if you dont give them the chance? Why not give them the benefit of the doubt? Why can't you and all the other mods who dont send a request to the user give the users or user in question a chance like that mod did with me?

edit- granted it was years ago but still.

Feisty Sex Symbol

19,950 Points
  • Demonic Associate 100
  • Lavishing Romantic 250
  • Senpai's Notice 100
What really irritates me about what morbid gnome said is this. It was the blush and multi pants that made it bad.... these are both older items that were OK before this product came out. More over, if I were to go commando in my pant one day and they dropped, I would cover myself and blush. It's a natural reaction, it was the placement of the fingers in the ITEM ITSELF which made it explicit. Sorry gaia, but you ******** up. Honestly... I'd sue... also.
this falls under advertisement violations.
Gaia also is beginning to have reports, feel free to go at it.
edit: also service complaints.
((Also, just to cover my bases, being banned or punished for sharing the BBB site is also considered a service violation.))

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff