Welcome to Gaia! ::

Interesting Fairy

15,340 Points
  • Forum Regular 100
  • Athlete 50
  • Bunny Spotter 50
A mother her young children faced an agonizing choice on a recent visit to a safari park in England, when their car burst into flames in the middle of a lion habitat.

Helen Clements and her two young kids, visiting the Longleat Safari Park in Wiltshire, England, Friday, had to make a split-second decision whether to take the chance that the flames didn't reach them before help arrived, or trust themselves to the mercy of the lions outside.

"You're stuck and you can't control and you can't do anything about it," Clements said.

Other tourists in the safari park couldn't believe what they were seeing.

Bad day for someone @Longleat ! And we were in the lion enclosure #notagoodtimeforabreakdown pic.twitter.com/YcEuPIiPEW

- Hannah (@MissLight20) April 18, 2014

Clements said she tried to get out and her son tried to run off, but the park rangers stopped them.

"They were shouting at us get back in the car, do not get out the car and it's a situation - what do you do?" Clements said.

Fortunately for her and her children, the rangers rushed in and got her out just in the nick of time.

"Literally as he opened the door we just jumped into his vehicle," she said.

"(There's) always a ranger with their eye on the animals and a ranger there to assist the family," Longleat Safari Park marketing director Alex Lloyd said. "That training kicked into action and all worked well, so the first ranger stayed close by the lions whilst the second ranger was able to relatively freely get the family out of the vehicle."

Everyone was scared but they were all safe, Clements said.

"Why couldn't it be in the flamingos or the camels?" she said. "But no, it had to be in the lion enclosure."

Lions den

Liberal Gaian

9,750 Points
  • Trick or Treat 100
  • Jack-pot 100
  • Team Jacob 100
I am disgusted that people just watched and either Tweeted what was happening or were recording the scene instead of helping them.

Tiny Strawberry

Red Eyes 1994
I am disgusted that people just watched and either Tweeted what was happening or were recording the scene instead of helping them.

I am hoping that it is the usual ratio of helping people to passive people who would just stand by and watch the event like idiots, and that they're just tweeting now instead of staring.

That, or we're completely screwed as a society.

JamesWN's Secret Admirer

Spoopy Bibliophile

I find it ******** up people were watching and posting about it.>>;

Barton Paladin

17,690 Points
  • Brandisher 100
  • Bunny Hoarder 150
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
Is it too soon to make a barbecue joke? *hides in shame*

Bloodthirsty Carnivore

27,550 Points
  • Hunter 50
  • Demonic Associate 100
  • Vicious Spirit 250
I read that as "Cat bursts into flames" and was wondering if they'd begun employing new hunting techniques in that pride... eek

Destructive Detective

19,200 Points
  • Bunny Spotter 50
  • Elocutionist 200
  • Cat Fancier 100
Yuki_Windira
Why? It's not their responsibility to get out of their cars and risk their lives in a den of lions.

Quotable Informer

20,825 Points
  • Elysium's Gatekeeper 100
  • Partygoer 500
  • Frozen Sleuth 100
Ratttking
Yuki_Windira
Why? It's not their responsibility to get out of their cars and risk their lives in a den of lions.
Could of pulled up to the car in theirs and let the other family in the flaming car cram into their and drive off to a safe distance.

King Noob

So the lions at England's safari park are active? At my local one you usually barely see any lion. They are always laying around sleeping in the distance.

Kawaii Shoujo

I know this is a rhetorical question but I simply gotta ask this question... What kinda park or people tell the victims inside a flaming vehicle to stay or get back inside where the car could explode at any moment?. I mean seriously not too mention that none of the other people in the other cars couldn't even be bothered driving up and telling them to get into theirs, instead they would rather videotape the entire thing. According to my mother that there were flames but the family was safer in the car, if it was me than I would have taken my chances with the lions... no way I would stay in a flaming car.

Destructive Detective

19,200 Points
  • Bunny Spotter 50
  • Elocutionist 200
  • Cat Fancier 100
xdivision_whitey
Ratttking
Yuki_Windira
Could of pulled up to the car in theirs and let the other family in the flaming car cram into their and drive off to a safe distance.
What a great idea! Drive right up next to a flaming car that might explode.

Bloodthirsty Carnivore

27,550 Points
  • Hunter 50
  • Demonic Associate 100
  • Vicious Spirit 250
fairy-phoenix
I know this is a rhetorical question but I simply gotta ask this question... What kinda park or people tell the victims inside a flaming vehicle to stay or get back inside where the car could explode at any moment?. I mean seriously not too mention that none of the other people in the other cars couldn't even be bothered driving up and telling them to get into theirs, instead they would rather videotape the entire thing. According to my mother that there were flames but the family was safer in the car, if it was me than I would have taken my chances with the lions... no way I would stay in a flaming car.

Simply put, it's a matter of who would be held liable in the event of someone being injured. If they stay in the car, it's their fault because it's their car or it's the car manufacturer's fault for making a shitty car, or their mechanic's fault, blah blah. Point is, it wouldn't be the park's fault. Now had they gotten out and gotten mauled by the lions? The park would likely be held liable. Also, not good for the lions, eating humans. Not just health wise, but they'd likely have to be put down. Seeing as the lions are part of what brings people to the park, they wouldn't want to be putting down any of their cash cows. As far as no one else driving up, why should they? They'd be risking their lives not only by opening the doors and potentially getting a lion coming in all of a sudden, but also because the car was on fire and could explode at any moment. And if they were so minded, liability and being sued rears it's ugly head yet again. If the people got injured getting into their car or while in their car, who would be held liable (legally), possible lawsuits, blah blah, you get the idea. It's the park's job to handle the safety of the patrons, so it would make sense to most to let the rangers handle it. You can't expect the average person to risk their life for another, especially when going up against a possible explosion and/or lions. Sometimes they will, but most people are sheep. They're gonna stand back thinking someone else will step in and handle it. It's part self preservation instinct, part this culture of 'someone else will get it'. You don't want to be the first one to step forward, because they're the ones that tend to get hurt or killed.

Magical Genius

Ironically the lions were smart enough to stay away from the flaming car, while the people choose to stay inside of it...

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff