Welcome to Gaia! ::

Shameless Fairy

Teefie
CaiteeByrd
Teefie
CaiteeByrd
Teefie

That's why I said Cersei would have more power, she'd have more power than she had with Joffrey because Tommen's so young. If it didn't go to Cersei when Robert died, then it wouldn't go to Margaery, regardless of consummation, because Tommen would be the next heir. If Tommen didn't exist then it could be argued that Margaery would have the throne, but I don't know what happens if there's no blood successor in the GoT universe.

Joff, then tommen, then marcella then stannis, then shireen, unless gendry was legitimised

Can a woman sit on the throne as Queen without a king in Westeros? :O Obviously a woman could conquer the throne, but I didn't know if they could hold the throne by inheritance.

It goes by birth order, first to the sons, then moves on to the daughters. She could rule without a king, but she wouldn't have heirs, and when she died the crown would go to Robert's oldest male sibling, Stannis. Essentially, with Joffery gone, stannis would just need to rid himself of tommen and myrcella and he could be rightful king.

Does GRRM actually discuss this or are you inferring it from how inheritance of the throne has worked in kingdoms past in history here? I'm just wondering, I'm not trying to be difficult. I haven't read some of the later books so I'm kinda uninformed when it comes to how exactly succession works in ASOIAF. I would love to read about it, this kind of discussion is interesting to me.

Were there any ruling queens in the past? :O

Inheritance is a big theme in the books, and it is detailed, although I don't remember which book specifically. I believe it is in reference to Sansa's position to inheriting Winterfell.

EDIT: I just looked it up, it was storm of swords, and it was a conversation between oberyn martell and tyrion lannester

cutethulhuuu's Sidekick

Interstellar Trash

CaiteeByrd
Teefie
CaiteeByrd
Teefie
CaiteeByrd
Teefie

That's why I said Cersei would have more power, she'd have more power than she had with Joffrey because Tommen's so young. If it didn't go to Cersei when Robert died, then it wouldn't go to Margaery, regardless of consummation, because Tommen would be the next heir. If Tommen didn't exist then it could be argued that Margaery would have the throne, but I don't know what happens if there's no blood successor in the GoT universe.

Joff, then tommen, then marcella then stannis, then shireen, unless gendry was legitimised

Can a woman sit on the throne as Queen without a king in Westeros? :O Obviously a woman could conquer the throne, but I didn't know if they could hold the throne by inheritance.

It goes by birth order, first to the sons, then moves on to the daughters. She could rule without a king, but she wouldn't have heirs, and when she died the crown would go to Robert's oldest male sibling, Stannis. Essentially, with Joffery gone, stannis would just need to rid himself of tommen and myrcella and he could be rightful king.

Does GRRM actually discuss this or are you inferring it from how inheritance of the throne has worked in kingdoms past in history here? I'm just wondering, I'm not trying to be difficult. I haven't read some of the later books so I'm kinda uninformed when it comes to how exactly succession works in ASOIAF. I would love to read about it, this kind of discussion is interesting to me.

Inheritance is a big theme in the books, and it is detailed, although I don't remember which book specifically. I believe it is in reference to Sansa's position to inheriting Winterfell.

Ah! I must scourge and read them all then, I was waiting to until the show caught up with the books but now I can't resist. sad

Shameless Fairy

Teefie
CaiteeByrd
Teefie
CaiteeByrd
Teefie

Ah! I must scourge and read them all then, I was waiting to until the show caught up with the books but now I can't resist. sad

Well, You wouldn't have to wait long with how methodical GRRM is in his works. I have to say, the show has been pretty faithful, but there are a few things that are just different enough to matter, and it may give you a different perspective on some of the characters.

BTW, here is a little outline of succession

xcept for the Dornish, Westerosi succession goes like this:

Succession goes to the King's eldest male child's line, meaning that even if the eldest male child is dead the succession passed through to his heirs, and only after that line is explored do we go to the next step.

When a King has no male children or their lines are extinguished, succession goes to the eldest female child's line.

When a King has no children or their lines are extinguished, we go through the same steps 1 & 2 but among the King's siblings (i.e. His father's children).

If we still have no heirs we go up a level. In other words we search through the King's grandfather's children. If that fails we continue going up until an heir is found (or we run into a stack-overflow exception wink )

However, one must remember that these are ideal world rules. In practice, when the succession gets convoluted by the lack of direct heirs opportunists will rise up claiming succession (usually backed up by a large army).

Source

cutethulhuuu's Sidekick

Interstellar Trash

CaiteeByrd
Teefie
CaiteeByrd
Teefie
CaiteeByrd
Teefie

Well, You wouldn't have to wait long with how methodical GRRM is in his works. I have to say, the show has been pretty faithful, but there are a few things that are just different enough to matter, and it may give you a different perspective on some of the characters.

Succession goes to the King's eldest male child's line, meaning that even if the eldest male child is dead the succession passed through to his heirs, and only after that line is explored do we go to the next step.

When a King has no male children or their lines are extinguished, succession goes to the eldest female child's line.

When a King has no children or their lines are extinguished, we go through the same steps 1 & 2 but among the King's siblings (i.e. His father's children).

If we still have no heirs we go up a level. In other words we search through the King's grandfather's children. If that fails we continue going up until an heir is found (or we run into a stack-overflow exception wink )

However, one must remember that these are ideal world rules. In practice, when the succession gets convoluted by the lack of direct heirs opportunists will rise up claiming succession (usually backed up by a large army).

Source

Haha, yeah, I would imagine by the point that they're checking out the uncle of the former king and beyond that, people would get pretty antsy and that's where a lot of "opportunity" would arise to stake a claim to the throne. Thank you for spelling it out for me, I'm actually really pumped to learn that it's possible for a female heir to ascend to the throne (if she has no children lol). I'm wondering now if there was any in the history of Westeros.

Sansa 4 Queen of the North.

Shameless Fairy

Teefie
CaiteeByrd
Teefie
CaiteeByrd
Teefie

Source

Haha, yeah, I would imagine by the point that they're checking out the uncle of the former king and beyond that, people would get pretty antsy and that's where a lot of "opportunity" would arise to stake a claim to the throne. Thank you for spelling it out for me, I'm actually really pumped to learn that it's possible for a female heir to ascend to the throne (if she has no children lol). I'm wondering now if there was any in the history of Westeros.

You made me curious... I'm going to look up if it's happened before in cannon westerosi lore!

cutethulhuuu's Sidekick

Interstellar Trash

CaiteeByrd
Teefie
CaiteeByrd
Teefie
CaiteeByrd
Teefie

Source

You made me curious... I'm going to look up if it's happened before in cannon westerosi lore!

I'm really curious too!

Apparently, the only one I could find was
Rhaenyra Targaryen
. :O

Shameless Fairy

Teefie
CaiteeByrd
Teefie
CaiteeByrd
Teefie

Source

I'm really curious too!

Apparently, the only one I could find was
Rhaenyra Targaryen
. :O

Although Rhaenyra Targaryen was declared heir presumptive by her father, Viserys I, her half brother Aegon II seized the throne upon his death. Nevertheless, she claimed the title Queen of Westeros. The Dance of Dragons followed, wherein Rhaenyra was eaten by Aegon's dragon. Her brother held the throne for less than two years and was succeeded by her son (and his nephew).Source

I had to stop for work, I found that one too!

Opinionated Combatant

10,275 Points
  • Elocutionist 200
  • Mark Twain 100
  • Battle: KO 200
Qyp
Hitachin
Margaery's grandmum killed Joffrey cause she was going to have Margaery marry Tommen anyways. It was all about making Margaery queen as well as picking the best possible husband/groom for her.

Since title says spoils, im not putting tag.

Did you not pay attention to the latest episode and what Lord Petyr "Littlefinger" Baelish had planned? He made the necklace that the Fool Ser Dontos Hollard gave to Sansa to wear at the wedding. Petyr planned Joff's death. Like he planned Eddard Stark's. Because he wanted Catelyn Tully, but because he couldn't have her in the end, he took Sansa.

That too. But we are also talking about why the Queen of Thorns did her part of the plan. She wanted Margaery to be queen and to get a high position of power.
Margaery's grandmum merely acted out Baelish's plan cause her own plan happened to be mutually beneficial.

Manly Lunatic

Hitachin
Qyp
Hitachin
Margaery's grandmum killed Joffrey cause she was going to have Margaery marry Tommen anyways. It was all about making Margaery queen as well as picking the best possible husband/groom for her.

Since title says spoils, im not putting tag.

Did you not pay attention to the latest episode and what Lord Petyr "Littlefinger" Baelish had planned? He made the necklace that the Fool Ser Dontos Hollard gave to Sansa to wear at the wedding. Petyr planned Joff's death. Like he planned Eddard Stark's. Because he wanted Catelyn Tully, but because he couldn't have her in the end, he took Sansa.

That too. But we are also talking about why the Queen of Thorns did her part of the plan. She wanted Margaery to be queen and to get a high position of power.
Margaery's grandmum merely acted out Baelish's plan cause her own plan happened to be mutually beneficial.

Quite, Joff was a cruel creature, and even Margaery would have difficulty with him eventually.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff