Welcome to Gaia! ::

5,550 Points
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Dressed Up 200
  • First step to fame 200
ONE
Do you know what it feels like to be alone in a dark corner? To walk in halls, and feel like people just pass right through you. That you just don’t know where you’re going? That you scream at the top of your lungs, but no one even looks up. That you feel trapped. This may sound cliché, but I do. Not in the I-feel-so-trapped-in-my-mind-dramatic-kind of way, but I’m literally trapped. I’m literally a voice in the wind. I’m invisible. You can literally go straight through me. I died, you see.

I don’t know how.

I don’t know when.

I just did.

“Raquelle.” Gaby’s here. He’s my companion; his curled brown hair frames his blue eyes. He has a muscular build, but I know more than anyone that his touch is as gentle as holding a baby’s hand. He used to be my guardian angel; he says I can’t move on yet, that my soul is still lost. That’s why he still sticks around: to guide my path into the light. I’ve been wandering around as far as I can remember, he isn’t helping me very much.

“Gaby. I told you,” I rant, “We’ve been wandering around together for years now. You have to call me Kelly!”

“I don’t like nicknaming my assignments.” He coughs.

“But you’ve taken a liking in me calling you Gaby.” I cross my arms. Have I mentioned that we have been arguing about this nicknaming thing for a long time too?

His real name is Gabriel. No, not angel Gabriel archangel, just a regular Gabriel that was assigned to another regular baby girl.

“I suppose.” He stifles a smile. There we go.

“Then I demand you call me Kelly.” I cross my arms. He just smiles and flicks my nose.

“Ouch!”

He laughs this time. Somehow, annoying me is payback for all those times that he almost had a nervous breakdown. He couldn’t believe how reckless I was.
Sometimes, I wonder if it had been this much fun when I was alive. I must have died so suddenly to get detached from all of my memories. Then, looking at my laughing angel, I almost don’t mind that I can’t remember anything. Sometimes, I just wish we could stop time at the fun parts of our journey, like this one, right now. I wish time would stop, and we could just laugh at each other for hours. I look up at Gaby. Does he wonder too? How his past life was. If he was always this caring, or strict. Did he used to laugh like he is laughing now? A breeze passes through us, shifting the position of the leaves letting a few rays of sunlight in. His blue eyes gleam in it. I want to touch his face. But I know I can’t; I could never. So I snap out.

“Okay. Enough gagging. What’s up?”

“I was walking around in a graveyard this morning.”

“That’s a lovely hobby.” I bat my eyelashes.

“Shut it or I’m pushing you off that cliff.”

“I can float.”

“Isn’t your name Raquelle Alexandria Light?” I haven’t heard that in a long time. It is almost weird hearing my name. “I found it on one of the tombstones there.” He was so serious I actually thought he was joking. That’s it! My name. He found my name. I’m moving on!

He said that once a lost soul comes in contact with their body, everything comes back to them, and when that happens, they move on. This is for those who died suddenly that is. I have come across plenty of souls that were abandoned by their guardian angel. They find their own ways to communicate with people, most commonly known as haunting.
Gaby, on the other hand, chose to stay and help me. He said none of the angels were obliged to stay with their assignments once they die (no matter the circumstances), but he did.

“Anytime now, Raquelle.” He was already twenty feet away, looking back at me like I’m some deranged lunatic.

“I told you to call me Kelly!” I yell as I run after him.

It had just finished raining. The roads were still dangerously slippery. It was nearing three in the morning, not a light on any of the houses in the neighborhood. Everything was so still we seemed to be in a picture. Gaby wasn’t talking. He’s usually like that, being a guardian angel all these years, he had gotten used to just watching. But this silence is different. His shoulders are tense, his jaw clenched. His eyes kept wandering around, house-to-house, and yard-to-yard. Something bad is about to happen.

That is the thing about guardian angels. They sense the bad things before they happen. And if they feel they’re allowed to prevent it, they will.

“Stop.”

“What’s wrong?” I continue walking, tilting my head a little so I’m still facing him. I must have been a joy to look after.

“Just stop walking---“, the loud screech of car tires bring me to a halt. A loud crash, then the smell of burning. I’m frozen dead on my spot. I look on the crossroads a few feet from us. It came from that turn. Someone is dying there. Someone could be dead! Something about the sounds and the smell keeps me standing there, like a statue. Gaby already moved in front of me, shielding me with half his body. He didn’t have to do that, I was already dead, no more harm could come to me. He usually never does. But he’s not looking at the crash concealed in the corner turn; he was looking away from it.

I follow his gaze to a lady standing across the street. Long black hair, pale skin, long slender fingers placed neatly on top of each other; she looks dead even. The crash is very visible from where she is standing. I’d imagine a horrified look on her face, and a frantic call for help.

But her eyes are so calm. Her hands folded in front of her. And she’s smiling. She glances at us, winks, then turns around and disappears in another corner.
The fact that she could see me was okay. Most wandering souls are happy for a new addition to the wandering community. But the fact that she could see both of us scared me. The only one who can see their guardian angel is the soul of assignment. Everybody gets to meet theirs when they die.

“Was she—“

“Yes.” Gaby cut me off almost instantly. He wasn’t worried about the crash when he sensed it, he was worried about her.

He used to warn me about her kind all the time. Evil at work; the ones who were never granted access to the heavens.

There are two types of wandering souls: the ones who died suddenly, and can’t move on yet. And those that did so much evil in their lives, that when they died, they were never pardoned. They’re the ones who cause all these accidents.

You trip and fall down? That’s just you being clumsy.

You suddenly lose your balance and fall down a flight of stairs? That’s them causing mayhem.
The scary thing is, they can harm me too. They always do. They’ll corrupt an innocent wandering soul, damning it. Giving them the same unfortunate fate.

“Kelly! Come on. Let’s go see the damage.”

Oh, now you call me Kelly?

The sight is horrid. The car is turned up side down all the way into the park beside the road. By the looks of it, the car was Southbound. All the way from the other side of the road.

“Kelly.” Gaby was always serious. But this time his eyes widened, like he’s seen a ghost. Then I follow his gaze. He has!

Beside the wreckage, a man stood. He looks around the age of 20 to 25 years old, copper hair but it’s barely visible with the dim lighting from the street. And well, you could see through him. By his feet lay his body, half dragged out of the car. The bloody version of him.

“What happened here?” Gaby called out to the man. I thought it was ridiculous for him to talk to the man’s spirit, he won’t even hear you dummy! But then I realized he was looking intently behind the man. His guardian angel!

“What happened?” I looked up at him.

His eyebrows knit together, turning his gaze to the wreck. “She messed with his breaks. He couldn’t stop in time for the turn.”

The man was just staring at himself. Well, his dead self. It was as if he thought he was in a terrible
dream. The ambulance came not too long after we arrived. I watched them bark orders at each other both organized and urgent. We all watched the paramedics carry his body to a stretcher.
One of them started pushing on his chest with his fists, trying to pump some blood back. But I think it was taking too long. They took too long to arrive; they’re taking too long to revive him. I walked over to him. They’re too late.

“Hello?”

It was too late for me too. It was too late when I heard the words ‘No Kelly!’ and ‘He’s still alive!’ big hazel brown eyes were already staring at me. He saw me!

Well, too late now.

“Are you okay?”

“What’s happening?” he looked shocked. Of course he should! You don’t wake up seeing your lifeless self half buried in a wreck that used to be your car. Stupid Kelly, just stupid! “I think I just died.” He gasps. Still looking shocked.

“No. You’re not.” I smile, “they just declared you alive!”

“But,” he puts a hand on his forehead, “I’m here. And my body,” his other hand lands on his face, joining the other, “is down there.” He then looks at me, as if noticing my presence for the very first time. “Who are you?”

“I’m Kelly. I’m dead.” I smiled like a toddler who showed her dad a picture she drew.

“Then, I’m dead!”

“No. You almost were. That’s why you’re here.” Then I look behind him, remembering whom Gaby was talking to, “can you see him?”

“See who?” he followed my gaze behind him. “Who am I supposed to see?” He was panicking now.

“He can’t see him yet. He’s not dead.” Gaby was near me again. He always made sure to keep me at arm’s length whenever we see accidents like these.

“Was he responsible for that?” I pointed at his body being carried away by the paramedics.

“If you’re referring to his survival, yes, but only minimal interception was made. He directed the crash on this field so it would be cushioned.”

“Who are you talking to?” he’s terrified now. He was yelling for answers with sobs almost coming from his voice.

“My angel.” Now I sound like a lunatic, “You can’t see yours yet. I can see mine cause well, I’m dead.” I giggle. I’m just the person you need when comforting the dying and the confused.

He sat on the ground confused (See!). I feel sorry for him. In and out of the afterlife. Then the siren starts wailing on the quiet street, the blue and red lights flicker on. Gaby turns to me with urgency in his eyes. He didn’t need to speak this time, I understood.

“Come on. We have to get on that ambulance!”

Link for chapter 2: Chapter 2

Dangerous Lunatic

7,450 Points
  • Brandisher 100
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
  • Invisibility 100
You did really well with the story, but you could add more detail and descriptions, like smells, what the car crash sounded like etc. Also, you might want to describe Gaby and the woman.

5,550 Points
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Dressed Up 200
  • First step to fame 200
TheLibraryWitch
You did really well with the story, but you could add more detail and descriptions, like smells, what the car crash sounded like etc. Also, you might want to describe Gaby and the woman.

Thank you :3 I edited it biggrin

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces