Welcome to Gaia! ::

Clean Seeker

4,100 Points
  • Hygienic 200
  • Wall Street 200
  • Signature Look 250
article

Quote:
DETROIT (WJBK) - Parents of students at T. Dale Cooke Elementary school in Detroit say the principal is enforcing students to eat healthy in the wrong way.

The parents tell FOX 2's Erika Erickson their children have said the principal, Philip Van Hooks, takes some food items away from them and throws them away. Sometimes, they say, he even eats the food right in front of their face...

Basically, the school has a rule against students bringing certain foods from home in their lunch, such as chips, pop, candy, etc. The principal though, is a tyrant in how he enforces them. He lines the children up, makes them open their lunches and confiscates banned foods, then either throws them away or eats them in front of the students!

One father was so infuriated that he confronted the principal and ended up punching his lights out and biting him! I don't condone the father's actions, but I think the principal brought it on himself.

Where do schools get off banning foods from children's lunches? It's one thing to encourage healthy eating, but some schools nowadays are just acting like the health police. It reminds me of back in the 90s how schools cracked down on students' smoking and now 20 years later, smoking is virtually outlawed. Will eating any kind of junk food be illegal in 20 years?

Lord Elwrind's Queen

Dangerous Fairy

55,065 Points
  • Waffles! 25
  • Team Poison Master 250
  • Winged 100
Makes me wanna *eats donut* mhhhmmmhm mhmhmh mhhmhmhmhmmm. Mmmm?

*gulps*
Anyway, they both took it too far, I agree. Kids need something in the way of a little "something". The point is to limit, not deny. And lining them up as if it were a police state is just... well, ya know. These are kinds who are in a school. Not a bunch of criminals in a prison being searched for contraband and whatever.
This is another clear violation of human rights.

Kawaii Phantom

14,500 Points
  • Happy 13th, Gaia Online! 50
  • Forum Regular 100
  • Bloodsucking Bros 250
So the principal wants to enforce a school policy, but isn't afraid to waste food.
Way to teach kids absolutely nothing.
Kids are going to eat junk food no matter what.
Instead of throwing away their food, why not teach the parents about healthy food and extend recess?
That way, the kids get to enjoy some fun time and burn the carbs coming from the junkfood and parents can also learn what kind of food is healthy for their kids..

Shy Friend

12,475 Points
  • Luminary Melee Champion 200
  • Fashionable Fancy Dress: Cute 100
  • Friend of the Goat 100
This principal is an a*****e. scream I mean there are better ways of teaching kids about eating healthy but seriously throwing away their food or eating it in front of them? That's just making him an arrogant b*****d. They could just teach kids how to eat healthy and have suggestions for kids to buy healthy snacks and have talks with the parents if the kids are eating too much junk food. But to go as far as to line them up and take away their food is just shitty. Besides one bag of chips for lunch or one little snack cake isn't going to kill the kid as is one can of soda if the kids want one unhealthy snack to make themselves happy who is to judge? Jeez people have issues. This problem could be solved rationally.

Original Rogue

11,100 Points
  • Battle: Rogue 100
  • Demonic Associate 100
  • The Wolf Within 100
There are better ways to go about this, you know. I know this is an elementary school, and I live in a state that has had schools decide to completely forbid students from bringing lunch from home at all in order to get them to eat school lunch which is somehow "healthier." A better idea is to offer healthy snack options for the kids in the cafeteria and not worry too much about whatever food they happen to bring from home. If their parents apparently don't care enough about their child's health enough to make sure they eat a decent diet, that's on them.

That said, this whole incident is ridiculous. But then, it's Detroit.
zweet_dreamz
So the principal wants to enforce a school policy, but isn't afraid to waste food.
Way to teach kids absolutely nothing.
Kids are going to eat junk food no matter what.
Instead of throwing away their food, why not teach the parents about healthy food and extend recess?
That way, the kids get to enjoy some fun time and burn the carbs coming from the junkfood and parents can also learn what kind of food is healthy for their kids..

Howsa bout the parents are packing their kids lunches it's none of his ******** business what they are feeding them?

Yuki_Windira's Husband

Invisible Hunter

13,800 Points
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Marathon 300
  • Forum Sophomore 300
Good. Glad someone cleaned the a*****e's clock at least. Parents should start sending him bills for all the food he's stolen on top of it.

Kawaii Shoujo

This principal reminds me of that character from Lemony Snicket: The Austere Academy book... Vice Principal Nero who would punish the students in a great many ways, one such example that this article reminded me of him( Nero)... was the fact that the principal would eat the students junk food right in front of them, the same way that Nero would have the students buy him a big bag of candy, and eat it in front of them as punishment for not attending his six hour violin concert. Both principals act like playground bullies all because they could, though I feel bad for the father arrested( he should have just slugged the guy rather than include the biting), and you'd think that the school would give out notices about the power outage and the water outage that they had to the parents.

Clean Seeker

4,100 Points
  • Hygienic 200
  • Wall Street 200
  • Signature Look 250
I hope the parents demand this tyrant's resignation.

Karisa_Wolfgang's Princess

Adorable Sweetheart

The principal is a bully, plain and simple. A school yard bully using a title to steal their victim's food. It's sadistic hypocrisy to eat the food in front of the children. I'm not one to promote non-self defense violence, but there are people who do deserve a fist to the face, and that guy had it coming.

Clean Seeker

4,100 Points
  • Hygienic 200
  • Wall Street 200
  • Signature Look 250
Sleep Isabella
I'm not one to promote non-self defense violence, but there are people who do deserve a fist to the face, and that guy had it coming.

Amen!

Dapper Cat

8,450 Points
  • Cat Fancier 100
  • Peoplewatcher 100
  • Brandisher 100
If I was a student there, I would have attacked the principal for stealing my food like that. cat_scream Besides, there's absolutely no way anyone could make me eat that healthy crap. I applaud the father for taking a stand like that! Sorry, Obama. I like you but I hate your wife. cat_talk2hand

When I have kids, I'm definitely homeschooling them to prevent this s**t from happening to them.

Loyal Exhibitionist

I wonder if he knows he's actually putting his life on the line by eating the food right in front of the kids.

You never know, one of the kids has told his/her parents and they have done something to the junk food to make the principal stop doing it - either temporarily to teach him a lesson, or... permanently.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff