Welcome to Gaia! ::

Blessed Receiver

Lately there has been quite a number of God movies / movies dealing with religion

Just this Spring there was the release of

Son of God
Gods Not Dead

and now

Heaven Is For Real (Release Date: April 20 2014)

It is said to be based on a true story, and I thought it would be interesting to share and discuss

What did you think of the trailer?

Is Heaven for real?

Would you personally want Heaven to be real? Why or why not?

Lunatic

I'm not really sure, but I do wish afterlife is for real.

But if Heaven is real, I don't to be in Heaven; knowing that Hell exists.
The commercial says that the son "came close to death" and then I hear a flat line from a heart monitor, then "your son had a near death experience". Make up your mind movie! Did the kid technically die or not? Also, in a review I saw about the movie, the reviewer mentions that the kid never actually dies. Doesn't one have to die to go to an afterlife? How exactly did the kid know who anyone is if they were all young? Did the people say who they were or did he just know some how? Do the parents realize that kids are little sponges for information and will pick up anything and remember it? Did they even think of the possibility that they talked about things and the kid could have over heard them? emotion_facepalm I have to go away now....

Omnipresent Loiterer

12,850 Points
  • Conversationalist 100
  • Elocutionist 200
  • Forum Regular 100
"Based on a true story" really doesn't hold much weight when it comes to movies. Many of those movies are so loosely based on what actually happened that the plot might as well just have been made up by the writers (and most of it probably was).

gummie_sourball's Husband

Witty Fairy

Hierarchy of Angels

I see horse, and I smell s**t.... must be horseshit.

Shy Bunny

26,800 Points
  • Little Bunny Foo Foo 100
  • Bunny Hunter 100
  • Bunny Hoarder 150
What I always think is funny is how there have been plenty of people from other faiths that say they had near death experiences based on their own religions, but tend to get swept under the rug.

Sparkly Shapeshifter

12,950 Points
  • Megathread 100
  • Lavish Tipper 200
  • Person of Interest 200
It sounds cringe worthy.
I didn't watch the trailer but I'm sure it will be an enlightening experience.

Duremian Demigod

20,375 Points
  • Foolhardy Benefactor 500
  • Hellraiser 500
  • Team Moira 200
I think it was either a year ago or two years ago that this pastor and his 5 year old son (or however old he was) wrote this book by the same name. I honestly dislike both the book and the movie because it's seems to me that the pastor is only exploiting his son or that's how it seems to me. And the kid being that he is so young doesn't know any better and figures he's only helping by getting his story out.

I'm not going to watch the movie or read the book. It goes against my code of ethics to buy such a book or even watch a movie. It doesn't sit well for me. It would be fine if the child was at least older and knew just what he was getting involved with.

As for Heaven, personally I think it's only metaphorical and what we make out of it.

6,850 Points
  • Gaian 50
  • Contributor 150
  • Signature Look 250
I definitely won't watch it since it'll just be a regurgitation of everything fed to me in real life. neutral

Magical Investigator

22,875 Points
  • Bookworm 100
  • Pine Perfection 250
  • Forum Regular 100
Rumblestiltskin
"Based on a true story" really doesn't hold much weight when it comes to movies. Many of those movies are so loosely based on what actually happened that the plot might as well just have been made up by the writers (and most of it probably was).

I wish I could make movies. I would do one that starts with the text of, "Based on a True Story."

And then something utterly ridiculous would happen. Probably someone driving down the road... then a dragon flies by, chased by a person riding a unicorn.

Dedicated Firestarter

23,975 Points
  • Blazing Power of Friendship Wave 200
  • Comrades in Arms 150
  • Firestarter 200
Yeah, no.
I am not going to see it.

Near death experiences are hallucinations of a brain dying.

Mora Starseed's Husband

Intellectual Combatant

11,225 Points
  • Battle: Mage 100
  • Unfortunate Abductee 175
  • Mark Twain 100
"Based on a True Story"? Which part? That the kid had a near-death experience and subsequent hallucinations, or that Jesus is the only person in heaven who doesn't have wings - but doesn't need them because he goes "up and down like an elevator"?

This is just another insipid movie trying to capitalize on peoples' religious beliefs, same as the insipid book was:
The Book
“Colton, you said Jesus had markers. You mean like markers that you color with?”
Colton nodded. “Yeah, like colors. He had colors on him.”
“Like when you color a page?”
“Yeah.”
“Well, what color are Jesus’ markers?”
“Red, Daddy. Jesus has red markers on him.”
At that moment, my throat nearly closed with tears as I suddenly understood what Colton was trying to say. Quietly, carefully, I said, “Colton, where are Jesus’ markers?”
Without hesitation, he stood to his feet. He held out his right hand, palm up and pointed to the center of it with his left. Then he held out his left palm and pointed with his right hand. Finally, Colton bent over and pointed to the tops of both his feet.
“That’s where Jesus’ markers are, Daddy,” he said.
I drew in a sharp breath. He saw this. He had to have.
I'm sure his father being a minister and that the boy had been raised in church from the time he was born couldn't have had any influence on these visions...
The Book
I marveled at the things I had just heard. Our little boy had said some pretty incredible stuff—and he had backed it up with credible information. Clearly, something had happened to Colton. He had authenticated that by telling us things he couldn’t have known.
Authenticated, credible information has never had to clear so low a bar... The other "credible" information isn’t much better, such as Colton apparently seeing Jesus in purple and white, which echoes scripture and images he has doubtless heard and seen since, again, his father is a minister.

At no point in the story does it seem to occur to anyone that four-year-olds sometimes have trouble distinguishing between dreams and reality; When Colton says that Jesus sits on a throne to the right of His Father (imagery Todd no doubt employs all the time), Todd’s response, is "He had to have seen this", always italicized for emphasis.

Magical Investigator

22,875 Points
  • Bookworm 100
  • Pine Perfection 250
  • Forum Regular 100
I have limited knowledge of all three of these movies, but I have a nagging feeling that if I watched all of them back-to-back, I would come out of it with diabetes.
Xiam
I have limited knowledge of all three of these movies, but I have a nagging feeling that if I watched all of them back-to-back, I would come out of it with diabetes.

limit one popcorn per sitting yum_cupcake

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces