Welcome to Gaia! ::

Feral Fairy

15,665 Points
  • Team Rina 200
  • Campaign Manager 500
  • Cool Cat 500
As IIwizardeigesII said, we definitely need more threads like these than the GAIA YOU SUCK kind. Unfortunately, I imagine the kind of people who casually buys gold generators would not be the kind that reads that much text and thinks things through. It is possible to get gold through cash without screwing the market by buying items and selling them for gold, but it takes some research to know which items will give you the most gold. And apparently, like vending, exchanging and selling art, that's too much effort for some.

Devoted Heckler

Well that was a waste of time: your topic has absolutely nothing new to add.

The problem lies entirely and squarely upon Gaia and GG buyers. Successive GGs have increased their payouts and early openers have been able have been able to snatch up items in the brief period when their new gold is still valued at close to the rate of the gold from the previous lower payout GG.
Everyone else has to play catch-up and can only overcome their disadvantage by either spending a lot on GGs; waiting for the next newest GG; or hurriedly buying up items before they inflate. The key part to this sequence of events if the initial release and uptake of a new GG with all other parts reliant upon it.

Tipsy Conversationalist

7,000 Points
  • Generous 100
  • Invisibility 100
  • Peoplewatcher 100
If Gaia never would have introduced Gaia Cash in addition to the new marketplace setup.. things wouldn't be this way If they simple offered more ways to earn Gold.. such as creating "jobs" or something along those lines. Inflation would increase naturally. we wouldn't have any of this artificial inflation.. Im a veteran, I've been on here since 2004 and I recently started signing back on.I was inactive for a pretty long time. and yes my worth has risen a decent amount since.. but how much of that worth is artificial and how much is really accurate? Once gaia made all the changes, I lost interest a bit.. in addition to getting caught up in real life. It really is such a shame. Its nothing like it used to be.

Sparkly Phantom

13,050 Points
  • Partygoer 500
  • Bookworm 100
  • Elysium's Gatekeeper 100
Generic Breed
I'm not trying to be mean, it's just, as wizardeiges explained, this topic is beating a dead horse.

The horse is beyond dead, and in fact, has transcended death and exists in a new form of afterlife that we can't even comprehend rofl
And with regards to OP: I'm not trying to be mean either, but Gaia has made it clear that they are uninterested in users who do not wish to purchase Gaia cash. They are leaning towards a "freemium" business model, which means it is free to play, but in order to get many of the features offered (in this case items), you have to buy stuff with irl cash. So we can, and have, discussed this issue until the cows come home, and look what has happened. Absolutely nothing.

My advice would be to try and enjoy the free features of the sight if you are unwilling to buy Gaia Cash. People continue to buy the gold generators despite many a thread like this, so the problem will not end. It wouldn't matter if Gaia released the gold generators if nobody purchased them, however that is clearly not the case.

Frozen Allegiant

18,665 Points
  • Senpai's Notice 100
  • Tested Practitioner 250
  • Perfect Attendance 400
pirate finally! someone else agrees that the main reason of inflation is not only becuase of greedy AIers (as most people i see argue as the cause) but also because of the gold gens MAKING IT POSSIBLE TO HAPPEN.

greed, impatience, wanting to take shortcuts and the easy way are parts of human nature. it is what most humans want and do and these gold gens are just fueling those feelings. and thus let there be hyperinflation

Ruthless Businesswoman

8,400 Points
  • Full closet 200
  • Happy Birthday! 100
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
I agree, gaia is taking the financial business aspect of everything to an extreme. I'd personally like to know what the CEO of gaia's mission is for gaia. Whether it's to be rich or have a wonderful site for his users. You can't have a successful business based on people that are pissed off about your business, and you have to have a mission to back you up, and following all these threads throughout the chatterbox and especially here in the gaia community discussion, the mission seems to be to make the most money which is destroying gaia's userbase.
donaldtrump304
Generic Breed
I'm not trying to be mean, it's just, as wizardeiges explained, this topic is beating a dead horse.

The horse is beyond dead, and in fact, has transcended death and exists in a new form of afterlife that we can't even comprehend rofl
And with regards to OP: I'm not trying to be mean either, but Gaia has made it clear that they are uninterested in users who do not wish to purchase Gaia cash. They are leaning towards a "freemium" business model, which means it is free to play, but in order to get many of the features offered (in this case items), you have to buy stuff with irl cash. So we can, and have, discussed this issue until the cows come home, and look what has happened. Absolutely nothing.

My advice would be to try and enjoy the free features of the sight if you are unwilling to buy Gaia Cash. People continue to buy the gold generators despite many a thread like this, so the problem will not end. It wouldn't matter if Gaia released the gold generators if nobody purchased them, however that is clearly not the case.

Yes, but it's a freemium model that isn't being done well. In order for this model to work, you need newbies to increase the userbase and older users to not leave. For the former it's often throwing the newbies a bone, making it possible for them to earn to a certain degree but not being able to earn everything without buying with real cash. For older users, you need to keep them, this includes making sure they're not resentful in having to spend so much money to enjoy the site.

Which comes to the final point, it is true that we can enjoy the free features, but there's another problem with that. If you are an old user this makes a lot of sense, to enjoy the free features, we have connections to this community and we've been here for a long while. For new users however, there is nothing Gaia offers that couldn't be found somewhere else that would be equally or more enjoyable.

Gaia's existence spawned a lot of similar sites, that might seem more obtainable than here. That is where the danger is. In the short term I'm sure the numbers say their current marketing strategy is working because it is bringing money, but this leaves them far too open to be over taken by a different site.

Demonic Defender

16,350 Points
  • Alchemy Level 10 100
  • Threadmaster 200
  • Firestarter 200
BullseyeRista
I agree, gaia is taking the financial business aspect of everything to an extreme. I'd personally like to know what the CEO of gaia's mission is for gaia. Whether it's to be rich or have a wonderful site for his users. You can't have a successful business based on people that are pissed off about your business, and you have to have a mission to back you up, and following all these threads throughout the chatterbox and especially here in the gaia community discussion, the mission seems to be to make the most money which is destroying gaia's userbase.

As far as we know this has little to nothing to do with the newest ceo. Think of him as the president,just a scapegoat.

The ceo just gives marketing team a figure they must match and marketing team decides what to sell.
Narumi was promoted to manager of teams so he is equally to blame as he just looks at everything going on and just shrugs,this means he oversees marketing team and refuses to do anything to stop them from ruining the site.
The coo got this whole gamification bullshit train rolling.
For change we need:
1. Stop releasing gold generators
2.A new coo,marketing team and team manager.
3.Gold sinks and lots of them.

3 quick and easy steps to fixing this site,the problem is getting them to see that there is a problem with the site to begin with. Honestly it seems like we don't even need a team manager,it seems like narumi just lets all the teams run rampant and do whatever the hell they want.
We've even lost several staff members whom said there was little to no direction for the "business" and there was very poor management.

Animal Lover

Honestly I don't post in the forums much anymore or really visit this site that much at all. However whenever I notice how bad the inflation is getting I feel the need to check out GCD. How is the community handling this?
So whether or not threads like this appear all the time, I always feel inclined to read through them when I bother to check the forums.
Didn't realize so many Gaia staff have left, but it's not surprising.
It's a shame because even with this site changing I still enjoyed the events and participating in anon gifting. But trying to gift others has become too difficult and time consuming.

I guess it's sort of silly for me to even log in. Gaia is more or less a freemium site now. I spent a little money on this site in the past but I don't plan on spending any more money. Thus, this site isn't for me and I should go back to the one or two other avatar forum communities that I do value.

Ruthless Businesswoman

8,400 Points
  • Full closet 200
  • Happy Birthday! 100
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
IIwizardeigesII
BullseyeRista

As far as we know this has little to nothing to do with the newest ceo. Think of him as the president,just a scapegoat.

The ceo just gives marketing team a figure they must match and marketing team decides what to sell.
Narumi was promoted to manager of teams so he is equally to blame as he just looks at everything going on and just shrugs,this means he oversees marketing team and refuses to do anything to stop them from ruining the site.
The coo got this whole gamification bullshit train rolling.
For change we need:
1. Stop releasing gold generators
2.A new coo,marketing team and team manager.
3.Gold sinks and lots of them.

3 quick and easy steps to fixing this site,the problem is getting them to see that there is a problem with the site to begin with. Honestly it seems like we don't even need a team manager,it seems like narumi just lets all the teams run rampant and do whatever the hell they want.
We've even lost several staff members whom said there was little to no direction for the "business" and there was very poor management.

Every business has a mission and without one you fail. That's probably why gaia is going under.

Codger

Question: My account is worth 11 billion, it used to be worth about 3mil. In gaian terms, is 3mil a lot of gold anymore ?

Rich Hoarder

17,900 Points
  • Brandisher 100
  • Entrepreneur 150
  • Wall Street 200
Vicious Thrasher
Firstly, are prices rising mainly because of people buying low and selling high? Honestly, it is NOT the main reason but it IS a reason. Let me say, Gaia users have been doing investment ever since and it has never affected prices drastically. Prices would rise naturally in a steady rate (or not rise at all) because items become rarer over a long period of time (in economics, supply falls, thus increasing its price) due to it not being available in the store or items being "lost" in inactive accounts. Thus, people can buy items for a low price and wait for a few months, and sell it for a higher price.

But, wait....what if some greedy clever trickster tries to buy all of the supply available on the market and then tries to sell them all again for an even higher price the following days? It seems that users don't have the choice but to buy at that price....but, WRONG. Sellers will quickly realize that people generally do NOT have the money or are not willing to buy an item that was artificially inflated (meaning, an item whose price dramatically increases without its worth really increasing). Thus, usually, they would try to get back their money by selling at the price they bought it or at least a price that was close to it.

However, notice that it is way easier now for people to suddenly buy things even if people artificially inflated them. Why? Because people have tons and tons of coins.The main culprit? The sudden influx of gold through easy means of acquirement such as items like Make it Rain. Since users have so much coins, demand goes up for items and people keep spending and spending and therefore increasing the price for almost EVERYTHING in such a short period of time, something you call hyperinflation. Thus, this gives a good market for those clever tricksters who want to artificially increase prices.

Naturally, to combat inflation, Gaia has gold sinks to take away the excess money of the Gaian economy. They have Gaia gold shops, the 2% transaction tax, prices for name change, etc, etc. This is what Gaia has been doing in the past years and has really helped the economy be stable despite numerous gold generators (ways to make money) such as coins from making posts, commenting, playing games, etc.

However, for the past months, I honestly think Gaia has let all of this stability go and REALLY knows it is inflating prices in exchange for real cash for the business Gaia really is.

Right before this crisis Gaia offered cheap gold generators that allowed users to win incredible amounts of money for in-world cash. This, in my opinion, triggered this crisis and set prices skyrocketing.

However, the real question is, is Gaia doing anything about it?

Just a day ago and right in the middle of this crisis, Gaia has made this announcement:
http://www.gaiaonline.com/forum/community-announcements/win-oodles-of-gold-with-make-it-hurricane/t.91465281/

Instead of trying to address this inflation problem, Gaia is making it worse by offering a 30% discount for gold generators which means that even more and more gold is going in the Gaian economy.

And, I know the Gaia staff aren't stupid to not know the negative effects of these gold generators. They know in the back of their minds that this would happen. However, why would they still continue with this?

Easy, people would be lured into buying these gold generators because they are so cheap and because of this, Gaia would earn a ton of cash.

It's a win-win situation for some users and Gaia.

But, it's not going to be good for many newbie users who wish to rely on the natural means of earning gold (commenting, posting, etc) in order to get a decent amount of coins. Of course though, there are some new newbies who can choose to buy gcash to get gold generators.

However, in the end, it's many hardworking Gaia users (many are veterans) who are the true victims of this crisis. You see, for example, I had a Gaia friend who had 10 mil and items worth 2 mil around 8 months ago. He earned this money of course through many means, through artwork, etc. He logged out and just got back in again. Now, his items are priced at 500 mil (virtually the real value of items are worth 2.5x more than they were counting inflation) but his 10 mil won't really buy him that much anymore (hard work for nothing). Of course, he could always buy a gold generator too! (which would of course still lead to even more inflation)

And, it can also be not good for all of us in the end. I mean, do you really want prices gaining or losing 30% of their value the next day?

Really, what can we do to stop this? People have been suggesting to start buying shop items using coins. Of course, that would just be a grain of sand on the beach. There's really nothing you can do about it and just hope Gaia would stop with these schemes and listen to the majority of its users.
it's not as hard to make gold as it use to be I took the gold I bought on a gold gen just over 1b and turned it into 250b in gold and items by using basic economics. Fish sell a lot higher flowers papers credits tickets everything games are free to play I can get 300 old crumpled newspapers a day that's all most 900m plus 300m from blue carnations plus about 100m from every thing else that's 1.3b I can make a day. Plus buying them under what I get paid for them. I own all mc's but the ones on my wishlist, all gold shop items, over 24k total items points at link in siggy. And all this has been done off one gold generator 12 dollars I'm tired of people saying it's gaias fault items are so high but these are the people who don't want to work to earn there gold for the gold I can earn in a day now compared to prices is the same as the gold I earned when I started to the prices in 2005. When I started I could not afford a plus rod just inviting a friend nets u 5m for u and your friend if done right you can turn that 5m into billions

SlNON's Wife

Jolly Lunatic

i got to the 4th line and lost interest.

Heart Tamer

French it up
Question: My account is worth 11 billion, it used to be worth about 3mil. In gaian terms, is 3mil a lot of gold anymore ?

You can get items worth more than 3m in Dumpster Dive. I think that should answer your question.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff