Welcome to Gaia! ::

Dedicated Student

Pessimist
Lupa Fangs Makucha

Are those poor saps that run the place the one that will be following the law? Do they really honestly have to? If I were there I wouldn't lock up the bathrooms. It's just inhumane.

I have to admit, I do not know, having never volunteered to assist in polling due to my extreme misanthropy. But I can understand having to follow bullshit policy if you want to keep your position, which I feel is what is happening to the middleman of the poll volunteer. But as being a volunteer, it means you're freely giving up your time to assist others, which is why I am appalled at the idea of people freely defecating to 'punish' others to make a statement.

I do not agree with the policy in the slightest, but I'm concerned that if poll workers also disagreed and permitted bathroom breaks that they would be hit with a slew of repercussions. Like not being permitted to volunteer again, and in wost case scenario, not letting the votes of the polling station they're manning not count for bullshit reasons.

Knowing politicians of both sides, I'm sure they'd more then be thrilled to exclude X county's votes because the poll workers didn't follow protocol. It's awful, and I wish they could be punished for pushing forth such efforts, but that's not going to happen. It's just depressing to know that both parties will happily torture the common man because they want votes to sway in their favor.

This is true. I really hope someone fights this. Because if they are making it so people have to mail in because of not being able to stand in a line without using the restroom, then they are basically forcing those people to pay to vote. Unless they have a special post card prepaid those mailed in things do cost. Even if only a little. That is unconstitutional. Also closing the restrooms is against the disabilities act which has to make reasonable accommodation. Though allowing those with disabilities only would honestly be discriminatory. So yeah. I hope this gets shot down pretty soon. Which it sounds like it will. I mean someone will stand in line with some sort of a problem and it probably won't end well for the law makers. It didn't end well for the school staff that tried to pull a similar stunt like this and I bled on my seat. Ye probably tmi, but I can see something like that happening.

Feral Nymph

Lupa Fangs Makucha
Pessimist
Lupa Fangs Makucha

Are those poor saps that run the place the one that will be following the law? Do they really honestly have to? If I were there I wouldn't lock up the bathrooms. It's just inhumane.

I have to admit, I do not know, having never volunteered to assist in polling due to my extreme misanthropy. But I can understand having to follow bullshit policy if you want to keep your position, which I feel is what is happening to the middleman of the poll volunteer. But as being a volunteer, it means you're freely giving up your time to assist others, which is why I am appalled at the idea of people freely defecating to 'punish' others to make a statement.

I do not agree with the policy in the slightest, but I'm concerned that if poll workers also disagreed and permitted bathroom breaks that they would be hit with a slew of repercussions. Like not being permitted to volunteer again, and in wost case scenario, not letting the votes of the polling station they're manning not count for bullshit reasons.

Knowing politicians of both sides, I'm sure they'd more then be thrilled to exclude X county's votes because the poll workers didn't follow protocol. It's awful, and I wish they could be punished for pushing forth such efforts, but that's not going to happen. It's just depressing to know that both parties will happily torture the common man because they want votes to sway in their favor.

This is true. I really hope someone fights this. Because if they are making it so people have to mail in because of not being able to stand in a line without using the restroom, then they are basically forcing those people to pay to vote. Unless they have a special post card prepaid those mailed in things do cost. Even if only a little. That is unconstitutional. Also closing the restrooms is against the disabilities act which has to make reasonable accommodation. Though allowing those with disabilities only would honestly be discriminatory. So yeah. I hope this gets shot down pretty soon. Which it sounds like it will. I mean someone will stand in line with some sort of a problem and it probably won't end well for the law makers. It didn't end well for the school staff that tried to pull a similar stunt like this and I bled on my seat. Ye probably tmi, but I can see something like that happening.

I agree entirely. The idea is deeply abhorrent. The people who put it into place should be ashamed of themselves. It is beyond cruel. I simply wish to point out who the correct target in this scenario. It is not the volunteers in the poll booths, i.e the election boards. The are the people who put these practices into place. Please, go ahead and piss, s**t and bleed in their offices. But do not abuse the poor volunteers who run the polls.

Dedicated Student

Pessimist
Lupa Fangs Makucha
Pessimist
Lupa Fangs Makucha

I agree entirely. The idea is deeply abhorrent. The people who put it into place should be ashamed of themselves. It is beyond cruel. I simply wish to point out who the correct target in this scenario. It is not the volunteers in the poll booths, i.e the election boards. The are the people who put these practices into place. Please, go ahead and piss, s**t and bleed in their offices. But do not abuse the poor volunteers who run the polls.

I agree. At least not do it freely to the volunteers. Accidents do happen. Though if you must freely s**t and piss go do it to the ones who are forcing the volunteers.

Lord Elwrind's Queen

Dangerous Fairy

55,065 Points
  • Waffles! 25
  • Team Poison Master 250
  • Winged 100
EctoButtologist
Nyadriel
Um... excuse me. But some voters are - HULLOOOO! Women! What in the hell do you expect us to do if the polling day is a day we need to use the rest rooms? And not just because of bladder control issues.

Bleed on their floor, slip and sue
Tis the murrican way

Yeah... yeah... true. I mean, it's not our fault if we have to stand in line for six damned hours and -
But then we could also, you know, just stay home and not vote (surprised no one wanted to do the uppity __ and bring that up, so I decided to play the devil's advocate here). Oh but then, that is "oppressing Women's Rights!" and I should sue for that! 'Merican way. Yeah?

We could go with this for awhile.

By the way, your user-name makes me smile. It's funny
Even funnier given the subject at hand of you posting here.

Lord Elwrind's Queen

Dangerous Fairy

55,065 Points
  • Waffles! 25
  • Team Poison Master 250
  • Winged 100
Chibi Halo
          Does not surprise me in the least. I knew when it came time for the Governor's race down here Rick Scott would allow anything and everything to suppress votes for the Democratic challenger. He's pretty much abusing the system in order to stay in office. Pro Rick Scott PACs are already lying about actual statistics in regards to the ACA just to discredit former Governor Charlie Crist and now they're pulling this crap. I am so glad I'm not a registered voter in the state of Florida because next thing you know we'll be hearing about early voting being reduced to just the week before the actual election and weekend voting being taken away again just like they did in 2012 in order to get Florida to pull for Romney. My dad's friends who are registered to vote in Florida said voting that year was a nightmare because when people went in for early voting on some days people never made it inside the polling place.

This is definitely another ploy to swing the vote Republican in the more urban parts of Florida.

They will be doing same for Jeb too I bet.

Lord Elwrind's Queen

Dangerous Fairy

55,065 Points
  • Waffles! 25
  • Team Poison Master 250
  • Winged 100
Lupa Fangs Makucha
Pessimist
Lupa Fangs Makucha

Other thing about mail-ins (nobody thought of this) is that the mail could get "lost" or "misplaced" too. And thus not counted. Last time, a lot of our military folk were not allowed to have their votes counted for some reason. I am talking about the ones serving overseas. I forgot the exact reasoning (head still hurts)

Time-traveling Senshi

Nyadriel
Chibi Halo
          Does not surprise me in the least. I knew when it came time for the Governor's race down here Rick Scott would allow anything and everything to suppress votes for the Democratic challenger. He's pretty much abusing the system in order to stay in office. Pro Rick Scott PACs are already lying about actual statistics in regards to the ACA just to discredit former Governor Charlie Crist and now they're pulling this crap. I am so glad I'm not a registered voter in the state of Florida because next thing you know we'll be hearing about early voting being reduced to just the week before the actual election and weekend voting being taken away again just like they did in 2012 in order to get Florida to pull for Romney. My dad's friends who are registered to vote in Florida said voting that year was a nightmare because when people went in for early voting on some days people never made it inside the polling place.

This is definitely another ploy to swing the vote Republican in the more urban parts of Florida.

They will be doing same for Jeb too I bet.

Yeah I keep forgetting how much this state loves the Jeb. Thing is Scott won't do anything state wide but that doesn't mean he won't stop Republican lead county election boards to do things like this I order to stay in office. He'll just turn a blind eye to voter suppression. The primaries here aren't until August, which doesn't give candidates much time to campaign for a general election in Florida. There's only a week of early voting in the state beforehand. Before that, they send out absentee ballots which have to be to the voter by July 12. However, they can't send them back right away the next day. They can only be postmarked on certain days. Domestic voters have to wait until July 22 to start sending them and they have until the 29th to do it. So I'm guessing anything postmarked before that seven day window won't be counted.

Thing is between now and say maybe July expect to see a lot more local changes to the election rules, hours, and requirements on the county level here in Florida. Makes me so glad I'm going back to Illinois and possibly vile governor's race going on in that poorly governed state near the end of the month.

Kawaii Phantom

14,500 Points
  • Happy 13th, Gaia Online! 50
  • Forum Regular 100
  • Bloodsucking Bros 250
Well, if this isn't an incentive for me to not vote, I don't know what is.
What I don't get is if people have to wait 6 hours to vote in the county, why don't they open more areas where people can vote?
Standing in line for 6 hours isn't fun, with or without a full bladder.
And what about the poll workers?
Are they banned from using the toilet as well?

Feral Fatcat

Nyadriel
EctoButtologist
Nyadriel
Um... excuse me. But some voters are - HULLOOOO! Women! What in the hell do you expect us to do if the polling day is a day we need to use the rest rooms? And not just because of bladder control issues.

Bleed on their floor, slip and sue
Tis the murrican way

Yeah... yeah... true. I mean, it's not our fault if we have to stand in line for six damned hours and -
But then we could also, you know, just stay home and not vote (surprised no one wanted to do the uppity __ and bring that up, so I decided to play the devil's advocate here). Oh but then, that is "oppressing Women's Rights!" and I should sue for that! 'Merican way. Yeah?

We could go with this for awhile.

By the way, your user-name makes me smile. It's funny
Even funnier given the subject at hand of you posting here.

Hopefully people realize that this new voting rule is bullshit and is harmful to everyone and get rid of it. If they dont i would be shocked
And im glad people think my username is funny, its what i was going for smile

Snuggly Buddy

29,150 Points
  • Conversationalist 100
  • Mark Twain 100
  • Conventioneer 300
Nyadriel
David2074
Nyadriel

I assume you are referring to menstrual needs?
But really I don't get your distinction. It is equally unfair to men. I know women can get caught short but when you are talking a six hour line pretty much everyone is screwed.

Anyway, it's another "Lulz! Florida!" story.
Maybe they knew they could not get the restrooms all HC accessible and were worried about a big lawsuit so decided it was safer to just screw everyone.

That's one thing I love about living in WA state. Mail in ballots so I can vote on my own toilet if I want to. Or on a more practical note I can vote in front of my compute and look up information on candidates and issues as I vote.

I'm middle aged and able bodied and I still probably would not wait in a six hour line. I pity folks who are old, HC, have medical issues etc.
(and my mind just wandered to some movie I saw where it was medieval times and some guy was walking around with a piss pot for the upper class to piss in. I think it was Mel Brooks flick so maybe not historically accurate. But I'm still amusing myself by picturing piss pot guy working the voting line. lol )

Yes I was referring to that. It's a bit of a bigger issue if blood drips all the way down to the floor if you think about it. Not like it would be our fault, ya know.

But you are right because neither is this (from another poster)
Quote:
Sheesh,I say pee on their floor then.o.o;

Which could happen accidentally if a person with problems could not use the bathrooms...

Ya know, it might just be accurate what you said about the piss pot. HUH!

Another place they don't have restrooms is border crossings. At least here in WA.
Or it least not the last time I was in one several years back. I usually drive right through but about the time they were switching over to driver's license no longer good enough I was coming back from a day trip into Canada and they made me go inside so they could b***h at me about my DL not being proof of citizenship (which is true but they'd been accepting that for about 30 years of my life.)

So anyway, on the inside I didn't have to wait very long. I'm white and look "American". But there were quite a few Mexican families with little kids who looked like they had been waiting a long time. I looked at the little kids and at the signs proclaiming no public restrooms and that must be pretty damn awkward. When my own kids were that age (or later my grandkids) when they had to go they had to go.

Shameless Heckler

12,225 Points
  • Brandisher 100
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
  • Peoplewatcher 100
David2074
Nyadriel

But really I don't get your distinction. It is equally unfair to men. I know women can get caught short but when you are talking a six hour line pretty much everyone is screwed.

Maybe they knew they could not get the restrooms all HC accessible and were worried about a big lawsuit so decided it was safer to just screw everyone.

That's one thing I love about living in WA state. Mail in ballots so I can vote on my own toilet if I want to. Or on a more practical note I can vote in front of my compute and look up information on candidates and issues as I vote.

I'm middle aged and able bodied and I still probably would not wait in a six hour line. I pity folks who are old, HC, have medical issues etc.
(and my mind just wandered to some movie I saw where it was medieval times and some guy was walking around with a piss pot for the upper class to piss in. I think it was Mel Brooks flick so maybe not historically accurate. But I'm still amusing myself by picturing piss pot guy working the voting line. lol )

Handicapped portaloos exist , they can usually be rented at the same place you rent regular portaloos from.

Snuggly Buddy

29,150 Points
  • Conversationalist 100
  • Mark Twain 100
  • Conventioneer 300
washu_2004
David2074
Nyadriel

Handicapped portaloos exist , they can usually be rented at the same place you rent regular portaloos from.

You know I was thinking that exact thing this morning and almost commented on it.
I've been places that had both kinds of porta-potties - the 'regular' ones and the extra wide ones for handicapped. They are not ideal (it's a portapottie) but they would provide some accommodation for HC people.

I think the key word is 'rented'.
Renting a bunch of porta potties costs money. Locking the doors on your existing bathrooms and screwing over everyone costs next to nothing. IMO it is short sighted but it's certainly a cheap solution in the short term. I suspect the locals will make their displeasure known.

Tipsy Prophet

This wasn't a rule set by Miami-Dade County Elections, it was in an email sent by a deputy elections supervisor to a lawyer, who then took it to a reporter. It was a reaction to a question about accessibility for the disabled at polling places. But even if it was the stance of the Department of Elections (which it is not, accordion to their Supervisor of Elections,) federal law (ADA) still requires accommodations be made for those with disabilities.

This is a tempest in a (really screwed up) teacup.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff