Total Votes:[ 12 ]
1 2 >

Quotable Informer

20,825 Points
  • Elysium's Gatekeeper 100
  • Partygoer 500
  • Frozen Sleuth 100
New Major EPA Clean Air Regs

Sen. James Inhofe (R- OK) is taking a stand against the steady stream of job-killing, price-raising regulations coming out of the Environmental Protection Agency.

Inhofe says he'll force Congressional review of any new EPA regulations relating to the Clean Air Act from going into effect until the agency conducts a full review of these policies and their impact on the American economy.

Sen. Inhofe announced Tuesday that he will be filing a Congressional Review Act (CRA) report on any major EPA regulation that is introduced under President Obama until Congress either passes his bill, S. 2161, into law or the EPA starts abiding by Sec. 321(a) of the Clean Air Act.

Filing a CRA on any federal regulation forces Majority Leader Harry Reid (D-Nev.) to permit a vote in the Senate as to overturn that regulation. It requires 30 senator signatures in order to file the CRA, of which Sen. Inhofe believes he can easily garner that support to force more accountability in the EPA.

Inhofe's bill has 30 sponsors, giving him the signatures needed to file a CRA on any major regulation.

According to the GAO.gov website, a CRA "allows Congress to review 'major rules issued by federal agencies before the rules take effect. Congress may also disapprove new rules, resulting in the rules having no force or effect." It "requires an agency promulgating a rule to submit the rule to Congress and GAO before it can take effect."

The GAO defines a major rule as one that has resulted in or is likely to result in either an annual effect on the economy of $100 million or more, a significant increase in costs/prices or harm to the economy.

In a March 26 press release, Sen. Inhofe said:

"Under this law, the EPA is required to report how its air regulations are affecting job creation across the entire economy. The EPA has not once abided by this provision and failed to complete a single analysis on its air rules to date. Today, 29 of my Senate colleagues have joined me in introducing legislation that will prohibit the EPA from finalizing any major regulation under the Clean Air Act until the EPA completes the mandated analysis for its air rules currently being enforced. Throughout this year and with the help of many of my colleagues, I will be pursuing every possible avenue to enforce accountability and transparency in the EPA for the sake of our nation's future prosperity and energy security."

Inhofe cited examples of when the EPA said these regulations would create jobs, contrary to what the National Economic Research Associates (NERA) Economic Consulting firm noted after conducting a review using a "whole economy" model. Here are three examples:
◾Utility MACT rule (77 Fed. Reg. 9301): EPA's analysis of the Utility MACT rule estimated that implementation of the final rule would result in the creation of 46,000 temporary construction jobs and 8,000 net new permanent jobs. NERA's whole economy analysis found that the rule would have a negative impact on the income of workers in an amount equivalent to 180,000 to 215,000 lost jobs in 2014, and 50,000 to 85,000 lost jobs each year thereafter.
◾Cross State Air Pollution rule (76 Fed. Reg. 4820 cool : The EPA's analysis of the Cross State Air Pollution rule estimated that implementation of the final rule would result in the creation of 700 jobs per year. NERA's whole economy analysis found that the rule would result in the elimination of a total of 34,000 jobs from 2013 to 2037.
◾Boiler MACT rule (76 Fed. Reg. 1560 cool : EPA's analysis of the Boiler MACT rule estimated that implementation of the final rule would result in the creation of 2,200 jobs per year. NERA's whole economy analysis found that the rule would result in the elimination of 28,000 jobs per year from 2013 to 2037.

Clean air Vs Jobs
That's what the EPA gets for trying to keep us alive and healthy!

Conservative Vampire

10,150 Points
  • Happy Birthday! 100
  • Invisibility 100
  • Peoplewatcher 100
I'm glad there are still a few members of Congress that want to make sure that ALL Americans are benefiting and that nothing shady is happening. Good idea.

Quotable Informer

20,825 Points
  • Partygoer 500
  • Frozen Sleuth 100
Shama_okami
That's what the EPA gets for trying to keep us alive and healthy!

Anything like the 27 plus steps to wipe a baby butt at a daycare facility? Wash you hand before removing diaper, Wash your hand before you grab a wipe, and wash again before adding cream or powder, Then wash before put on new diaper, Then once you let baby go wash your hand again.

Snuggly Buddy

29,150 Points
  • Conversationalist 100
  • Mark Twain 100
  • Conventioneer 300
Misty Moonsilver
I'm glad there are still a few members of Congress that want to make sure that ALL Americans are benefiting and that nothing shady is happening. Good idea.

Yes, I'm sure it is all about an intense level of integrity and has nothing at all to do with him being from a state that relies heavily on coal power plants that were fighting in court to not have to spend the money to do the things the EPA wanted them to do.
Nov 1 (Reuters) - OGE Energy Corp's Oklahoma Gas and Electric (OG&E) utility said Friday it may have to spend about $1 billion to upgrade emission controls at its two coal-fired power plants after a federal appeals court decision Thursday

Quotable Informer

20,825 Points
  • Partygoer 500
  • Frozen Sleuth 100
David2074
Misty Moonsilver

Yes, I'm sure it is all about an intense level of integrity and has nothing at all to do with him being from a state that relies heavily on coal power plants that were fighting in court to not have to spend the money to do the things the EPA wanted them to do.
Nov 1 (Reuters) - OGE Energy Corp's Oklahoma Gas and Electric (OG&E) utility said Friday it may have to spend about $1 billion to upgrade emission controls at its two coal-fired power plants after a federal appeals court decision Thursday

Swashbuckling Inquisitor

12,750 Points
  • Profitable 100
  • Jolly Roger 50
  • Treasure Hunter 100
We can't shut down the EPA! Look what happened last time!

Swashbuckling Inquisitor

12,750 Points
  • Profitable 100
  • Jolly Roger 50
  • Treasure Hunter 100
David2074
Misty Moonsilver

I think they're also wanting ALL US run fuel producing plants to upgrade their facilities to run cleaner, and it'll cost about $10 billion...but that's a drop in the bucket for the oil industry.

Snuggly Buddy

29,150 Points
  • Conversationalist 100
  • Mark Twain 100
  • Conventioneer 300
xdivision_whitey
David2074
Misty Moonsilver

I'm currently on a data cap connection so not going to watch an 8 minute video.
Sorry. It's one of the few things about living where I do that sucks.

Snuggly Buddy

29,150 Points
  • Conversationalist 100
  • Mark Twain 100
  • Conventioneer 300
Kaiser Khorosho
David2074
Misty Moonsilver

I think they're also wanting ALL US run fuel producing plants to upgrade their facilities to run cleaner, and it'll cost about $10 billion...but that's a drop in the bucket for the oil industry.

Yeah, and the EPA is not perfect but if someone takes the time I bet the majority of the support he has for that bill / actions he is taking are from reps in states with coal power plants and similar.
It doesn't meant he EPA is 100% right, but I do think there is self interest involved on the part of the lawmakers participating. It's pretty bad when some cities / areas have smog advisories and advise people to stay indoors some days. I'm not blaming just coal for that. In some areas that is mostly due to automobiles - but the point is we have quite a few ares were air quality is a major concern and harping on the EPA only from the "jobs created / lost" angle is hardly looking at the whole picture.

Quotable Informer

20,825 Points
  • Partygoer 500
  • Frozen Sleuth 100
David2074
xdivision_whitey
David2074
Misty Moonsilver

I'm currently on a data cap connection so not going to watch an 8 minute video.
Sorry. It's one of the few things about living where I do that sucks.

true I keep forgetting you can't watch videos. The point to the video is EPA has way to much control that they need regulating. They speak about how because of two particular animal landowners don't have control over there land.

Hilarious Autobiographer

9,900 Points
  • Signature Look 250
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
  • Inquisitor 200
So...go green?

Alien Dog

17,850 Points
  • Citizen 200
  • Voter 100
  • Mark Twain 100
Kaiser Khorosho

Walter Peck was working for the EPA, and it was the EPA shutting down the Ghostbusters that accomplished that.

Actually, shutting down the EPA would have prevented that.

Omnipresent Warlord

Senator Inhofe continuing his war on the environment, I see. If these guys had their way we'd have rivers catching on fire again

Swashbuckling Inquisitor

12,750 Points
  • Profitable 100
  • Jolly Roger 50
  • Treasure Hunter 100
Keltoi Samurai
Kaiser Khorosho

Walter Peck was working for the EPA, and it was the EPA shutting down the Ghostbusters that accomplished that.

Actually, shutting down the EPA would have prevented that.

I couldn't find any other EPA clip in a movie. sweatdrop I SHOULD HAVE SAID:

Look how bad the EPA are! They shut down good things all the time! Look what happened last time!!!

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff