Welcome to Gaia! ::

Garbage Trash

I'm thinking of writing a story with some sort of shapeshifter race involved, preferably as some sort of animal. (This idea was inspired by the Pokémon Ditto.) The main character meets the young heir to some fortune, raised by his grandmother. I'm thinking that his parents were killed off by the shapeshifters.
Anyways, the kid is mute. He expresses himself through paintings (he's really good). He draws one picture a lot: himself, drowning in a lake, from different viewpoints, sometimes with another 'him' watching.

I'm not sure if my "major twist" at the end would be too much of a surprise: he's a shapeshifter. The real kid died as a little boy. The shapeshifter was his friend and watched him drown (fall through the ice or something). The grandmother was concerned and made it turn into a copy of the kid and take up the lineage so she could gain one thing or another.

So is it too obvious? Please tell me what you all think! Thanks for reading this! (I know it's kind of long but I hope it was worth it.)
It depends how you lay out any and all clues along the way that might make the reader believe the kid is not exactly what he or she appears. Then it would also how you work the reveal in.

So, no. I don't think it'd be too obvious. I think you should go for it, and see how it works.
I don't think it's obvious. I actually like the idea.

But Sir Icehawk above me is right; it really does depend on how you write the build-up to the reveal.
Just really make it as subtle as possible so your readers might not think of it, or give false clues to trick your readers.

High-functioning Noob

Nope, I don't think it's obvious at all! Maybe throw in some details during your build up that would detract the reader from ever considering that he could be a shapeshifter, then draw everything together at the end. Just make sure not to leave any loop holes or inconsistencies and you're golden.

Dapper Genius

6,300 Points
  • Treasure Hunter 100
  • Trader 100
  • Hygienic 200
sounds cool and original, i'd say go for it!

Dangerous Enabler

It sounds like an interesting setup. The thing is that it's about execution with most mysteries. So by all means, go for it! As a tool, here's a thing about setting up clues.

8,700 Points
  • The Perfect Setup 150
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
  • Conversationalist 100
Sounds pretty obvious.
Sir Icehawk took the words I was going to say. But you do have to be careful about how you set it up

Dangerous Darling

I like the twist, but why put it at the end?
Because the character dealing with the truth is much, much more interesting.
You should read Marathon Man by William Goldman. 3nodding It has an amazing plot twist that's really well done.

Blessed Genius

10,475 Points
  • Team Edward 100
  • Megathread 100
  • Timid 100
It really depends on the execution, but I don't think it's too obvious (by the way, I really like that twist).

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff