Welcome to Gaia! ::

Interesting Fairy

15,340 Points
  • Forum Regular 100
  • Athlete 50
  • Bunny Spotter 50
A school in Sacramento, California, has suspended a mom over her stance against Common Core.

You read that correctly, the Mark Twain School in Sacramento has told the mother of a 12-year-old student that she has been suspended for two weeks. Police in Sacramento served the 14-day suspension to Katherine Duran in her home following a disagreement with the school over the soon-to-be enacted Common Core standards.

Duran’s son, Christopher, was not pleased when he learned of his mom’s suspension, telling the local KXTV, “I was outraged.”

The two week suspension was reportedly triggered after the officials charged that Katherine Duran was “disrupting the school.” When asked to clarify what Duran’s disruption was, Gabe Ross, a spokesperson for the school district, told the media, “It appears (she) went a little too far with regards to how she distributed information at school sites, distributing information to children directly.”

But according to Duran, she never distributed information to students on school grounds or to the children directly. The school district has even acknowledged that Ross’s statement was incorrect. See, Duran did not distribute the opt-out forms, her son did. And for that, she has been suspended.

“This is a method of teaching that’s untried, untested, unproven,” she told a reporter for News 10 in Sacramento.

The concerned mom signed an “opt-out” form and asked her son to take a few copies to school and hand them out to his friends to take home to their parents. The school’s principal then confiscates the forms. When Duran heard that the papers were taken away from her son, she visited the school and confronted principal Rosario Guillen. It was that meeting, according to the school, that triggered the police visiting the Duran home with the suspension order.

The principal of the Mark Twain School sent police with a chilling note that contained notice of the two-week “Withdrawal of Consent” as well as a threat of arrest should she violate the order. The letter also states that, “The District will seek reimbursement for attorney costs the courts may impose.”

User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.

Friday afternoon, TheBlaze spoke with Katherine Duran about her ordeal. According to Ms. Duran, the school and the district offices have admitted that she did not distribute information at the school or directly to students as they initially claimed. The only person who was handing out information on school grounds — to students — was her son, Christopher.

Duran sent us a copy of the opt-out information that was offered by her son to his classmates. This is the first page of a four-page set that of papers contained the basic information about Common Core’s Smarter Balanced Pilot Testing Program as well as instructions on how to opt-out of the testing, and a set of blank opt-out forms.

During the course of our conversation, Duran explained that the first day her son handed some of these information packets to his classmates, the school took notice. The principal made an all school announcement over the public address system stating that, “inappropriate materials” were handed out by a student and all of them needed to be turned in to the school. Christopher reportedly told his mom that all of the packets were collected and turned into the office.

Despite the first day problems, the 12-year-old asked his mother to create more packets for him to hand out to his classmates. Christopher Duran distributed these on two more days and then the school principal allegedly summoned him to her office and confronted the young man. Ms. Duran says that while in Principal Guillen’s office (with a teacher there as a witness) her son was supposedly told that the school would give him a chance to “do the right thing” and turn over the rest of the forms.

As Christopher’s mother tells TheBlaze, he refused to hand over the papers and was then told to sit in the hallway, by himself, and eat his lunch alone. Ms. Duran also said that her son asked to call his mother and that request was denied by the administrator.

After hearing the full story from her child, Duran visited the school and had a meeting with the principal. There are different reports of what happened between the two women. Ms. Duran claims she was serious but not threatening as Principal Guillen has reportedly stated.

Since the initial conflict, the school has decided that it is not against the rules for a student to hand out materials like those Christopher Duran was giving to his classmates. However, his mother’s suspension remains in place.

It should also be noted that Katherine Duran spoke respectfully of the teachers and principal, she was just not appreciative of the methods they used in dealing with her son. She told TheBlaze, she would like the school and the district office to give her child a formal written apology. To date, the school has not responded and she thinks they might be “waiting out” the two week suspension in hopes that this will all blow over.

TheBlaze has reached out to the Mark Twain School and the district offices of the Sacramento Unified School District. Calls to both of those outlets have not been returned.

Suspended

Angelic Husband

11,300 Points
  • Millionaire 200
  • Tycoon 200
  • Popular Thread 100
The Blaze? Hmmmm....

Ferocious Browser

It doesn't sound like she is a teacher, how exactly could she be 'suspended'?

Also, What are these common cores precisely? Being an activist against something because it has never been tested seems a little cyclical since that, in itself, prevents it from being tested....
Eveille

Also, What are these common cores precisely? Being an activist against something because it has never been tested seems a little cyclical since that, in itself, prevents it from being tested....

Test it first then. Don't turn the students into lab rats for a program that rewards based on explanations, rather than whether the answer is correct.
Want a better example?

Ferocious Browser

Old Blue Collar Joe
Eveille

Test it first then. Don't turn the students into lab rats for a program that rewards based on explanations, rather than whether the answer is correct.
Want a better example?

Who would you test it on?
Eveille
Old Blue Collar Joe
Eveille

Want a better example?

According to Common Core, the process of getting to the answer is more important than whether or not it is right. In other words, the kid that does Calculus in his head will fail while the little booger eater that can't figure out that six plus six equals 12, but comes up with his own answer of 93, as long as he can 'show his work' will be the valedictorian.

Yuki_Windira's Husband

Invisible Hunter

13,800 Points
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Marathon 300
  • Forum Sophomore 300
Bad mother! How dare you actually expect us to teach kids real lessons! cat_evil

PS We still want full medical/dental coverage and 50 expensive paid vacations a year, even if school system can't afford it. Becauz UNION!

Ferocious Browser

Old Blue Collar Joe
Eveille
Old Blue Collar Joe
Eveille

Want a better example?

According to Common Core, the process of getting to the answer is more important than whether or not it is right. In other words, the kid that does Calculus in his head will fail while the little booger eater that can't figure out that six plus six equals 12, but comes up with his own answer of 93, as long as he can 'show his work' will be the valedictorian.

That's nice. It's a bad system, ok.

So you're answer is: not test it on anyone and just ban it from the get go?

Alien Dog

17,850 Points
  • Citizen 200
  • Voter 100
  • Mark Twain 100
Eveille
Old Blue Collar Joe
Eveille
Old Blue Collar Joe
Eveille

Want a better example?

Well, if it can be demonstrated from the get-go that it's a bad system, then does it warrant testing before we dismiss it out of hand?

I mean, if I postulated that chopping off student's legs and rubbing human feces into the wounds would make them better at math, would you say that this idea needs to be tested on students in schools across 44 states and the District of Columbia, or would you dismiss it out of hand?

Ferocious Browser

Keltoi Samurai
Eveille
Old Blue Collar Joe
Eveille
Old Blue Collar Joe
Eveille

Want a better example?

Well, if it can be demonstrated from the get-go that it's a bad system, then does it warrant testing before we dismiss it out of hand?

I mean, if I postulated that chopping off student's legs and rubbing human feces into the wounds would make them better at math, would you say that this idea needs to be tested on students in schools across 44 states and the District of Columbia, or would you dismiss it out of hand?

Lol. That hardly compares. We know better because we have things like biology. I agree that a system that rewards hard work more than the right answer is a little stupid, but is that really all there is to this system?

When I was in school we got partial credit for showing our work so the teacher could see what step we messed up. However, we also only got partial credit if put down the right answer because they would assume you had copied and didn't know how to do it yourself. As such, this common core thing doesn't sound new or revolutionary.
Eveille
Old Blue Collar Joe
Eveille
Old Blue Collar Joe
Eveille

Want a better example?

My answer is teaching them to get the right answer, the formula is realistically secondary as there are multiple ways to come up with the final figure required. Teaching that one can be 'wrong' but the effort is what matters is ignorant, at best. Or are they going to apply that to medical practices as well?
Old Blue Collar Joe

Can you provide me with some more information, because Common Core hasn't been hitting the news till really lately (as far as I've seen). From what I've seen though, Common Core has nothing to do with the way Maths is taught, Common Core is a set of standards that students must be able to achieve (They must know how to do this, they must know how to do that), while the method in which it's done is the Ciriculumn, and what parents are against in Maths is a Fuzzy Maths Ciriculumn, which values the process of getting the answer more than the answer itself

Now, correct me if I'm wrong, but that sounds like a good thing. Any person can operate a calculator, but Maths is less about the answer and more about being able to think critically to get to the answer. Over here you can have the right answer in Maths, but if you don't show your working it doesn't count. And if someone tried 6+6=93, their critical thinking would be bullshit and wouldn't even get near good marks. However, if you had a question that involved a whole heap of different equations, and you got most of the working wrong but got one thing wrong in the middle of your working, and the logic surrounding it was correct, shouldn't that count for something?

I dunno, I hear people complaining that schools are teaching to tests, giving answers but not teaching them how to think for themselves, and to me this sounds like the answer. It seems like Fuzzy Maths is teaching the thinking and logic behind the maths, rather than just the answer

Beau

What a lot of people are missing in this discussion is how disgustingly bad a lot of the common core worksheets actually are. Many feature nonsense instructions or are just completely baffling. They tend to look like someone threw a bunch of various learning illustrations on a page so that, at first glance, it looks like an activity paper, but there's no way to figure out what to do.

There's also these example worksheets for grammar which contain sentences praising the government and preaching obedience to authority. It's just creepy propaganda.

Snuggly Buddy

29,150 Points
  • Conversationalist 100
  • Mark Twain 100
  • Conventioneer 300
x-Garethp-x
Old Blue Collar Joe

Can you provide me with some more information, because Common Core hasn't been hitting the news till really lately (as far as I've seen). From what I've seen though, Common Core has nothing to do with the way Maths is taught, Common Core is a set of standards that students must be able to achieve (They must know how to do this, they must know how to do that), while the method in which it's done is the Ciriculumn, and what parents are against in Maths is a Fuzzy Maths Ciriculumn, which values the process of getting the answer more than the answer itself

Now, correct me if I'm wrong, but that sounds like a good thing. Any person can operate a calculator, but Maths is less about the answer and more about being able to think critically to get to the answer. Over here you can have the right answer in Maths, but if you don't show your working it doesn't count. And if someone tried 6+6=93, their critical thinking would be bullshit and wouldn't even get near good marks. However, if you had a question that involved a whole heap of different equations, and you got most of the working wrong but got one thing wrong in the middle of your working, and the logic surrounding it was correct, shouldn't that count for something?

I dunno, I hear people complaining that schools are teaching to tests, giving answers but not teaching them how to think for themselves, and to me this sounds like the answer. It seems like Fuzzy Maths is teaching the thinking and logic behind the maths, rather than just the answer

I suggest you google on 'common core examples' and look through some of the crap that comes up.

I don't think anyone is arguing against the idea of students knowing how to arrive at an answer instead of just punching it into a calculator. Back when I was in nuclear power training they were big on us knowing how we got our answers. Sometimes we would get partial credit on a problem with a note of "ECF" which stood for error carried forward. Meaning we showed the proper process for doing the problem but at some point earlier on made a math error and carried that error forward.

But the common core examples I've seen go beyond that.
I've seen examples that made old school long hand subtraction or division look like nothing compared to all the hoops you had to jump through to do it the 'common core way'. It wasn't "showing your work vs not showing your work". It was "showing your work vs needlessly tedious PITA version of showing your work".

Lord Elwrind's Queen

Dangerous Fairy

55,065 Points
  • Waffles! 25
  • Team Poison Master 250
  • Winged 100
What the kid should do... is to distribute these papers after school as they all go home. That way the school cannot take them away. (do it while on the bus and give out bunches to pass around to others)

By the way

why does 2 + 2 = 4?
(I was in a math class in High School that was asked that question)

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff