Welcome to Gaia! ::

I do not deny racism happens to white people. I've seen it happen to my white mother. I've experienced racism from black girls for being half white.

I will never deny that racism happens to white people.

HOWEVER, racism against white people does not excuse racism against people of other ethnicities.

All too often I see this used as an argument. For example, people in my own family will act as if what happens to a white person is worse than what happens to someone of another ethnicity.

Here is what a conversation with them is like and why I find it hard to gather up the motivation to talk to them:

Me: Ah, that sucks. A Latino man was beat up by the cops around where I live because they thought he stole something from the store when it turned out he really didn't. It's disgusting that they even stooped so low to make racial slurs at him.

Family member: So!!! Look at this story about a white woman being shot by a black thug! No one is talking about that!!!

Maybe it's just me, but I feel like it's another way to tell me to shut up. I shouldn't talk about what happened to the Latino man simply because wrong was done to a white person. It almost feels like a cover up or a shield or like a "WE DON'T HAVE TO FIX THE PROBLEM BECAUSE THIS..."

Maybe more people would take racism against white people more seriously if more people didn't seem to want to use it as an excuse to ignore the problem of racism against people of different ethnicities.

I'll dumb this down for people with poor reading comprehension:

Yes, racism against white people is wrong.
No, not everyone who points out racism against white people use it as a shield. I'm not talking about those people.

Also, those who do use it as a shield only help the problem grow.

Witty Rogue

10,100 Points
  • Mark Twain 100
  • Contributor 150
  • Forum Regular 100
Really though! I know a lot of blacks are racist towards whites because of what happened to them in the 1900's when it wasn't even our generation that segregated them and enslaved them. Its annoying sometimes. We don't owe them anything. They need to forgive and forget the PAST that they weren't even a part of. Meeeeeeehhhhh
The " is it because I'm black" excuse is OLLLLLDDDDD AND TIREEEDDDDDD.
Mikurotsukami
Really though! I know a lot of blacks are racist towards whites because of what happened to them in the 1900's when it wasn't even our generation that segregated them and enslaved them. Its annoying sometimes. We don't owe them anything. They need to forgive and forget the PAST that they weren't even a part of. Meeeeeeehhhhh

Erm...
No. They shouldn't forget the past. No one should forget the past. We learn about the past and we teach it to children so the past doesn't repeat itself. No, racism shouldn't happen to anyone, but things do happen because someone is black, Latino, or Asian.

Your post suggests that it doesn't.

Dapper Man-Lover

14,525 Points
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
  • Alchemy Level 10 100
  • Brandisher 100
Well to be fair your family member could be upset because of the action not the races involved. Beating up a man is horrible but shooting a woman is worst. Your story implies that the police need more constraints and regulations where the other story implies we need more police action to stop gun violence.

Also racism has been used as a shield for a long time. the whole issue of racism against whites not existing is because people do not want to give up or share their shield. We supposedly live in super racist society where racism against people of color is hugely normalized, but still being labeled a racist is seen as a bad thing.

Witty Rogue

10,100 Points
  • Mark Twain 100
  • Contributor 150
  • Forum Regular 100
lovelylittlefart
Mikurotsukami

Erm...
No. They shouldn't forget the past. No one should forget the past. We learn about the past and we teach it to children so the past doesn't repeat itself. No, racism shouldn't happen to anyone, but things do happen because someone is black, Latino, or Asian.

I didn't mean it like that. I meant they shouldn't use the past to create racism towards themselves in the present. As an excuse to claim that someone is being racist when they aren't. Never mind xD
Lambs and Lions
Well to be fair your family member could be upset because of the action not the races involved. Beating up a man is horrible but shooting a woman is worst. Your story implies that the police need more constraints and regulations where the other story implies we need more police action to stop gun violence.

Also racism has been used as a shield for a long time. the whole issue of racism against whites not existing is because people do not want to give up or share their shield. We supposedly live in super racist society where racism against people of color is hugely normalized, but still being labeled a racist is seen as a bad thing.

That's just an example of a conversation that could happen with my family. It would be much the same if murder took place in both cases. Lately, their favorite topic is Zimmerman who they forget is not 100% white and use him as an example of black people hating white people.

I don't think it has anything to do with that...well...maybe in some cases. I'll admit that there are people who throw the r-word around when it suits them and so they don't have to evaluate their own actions, but the majority of the time when someone claims to have been a victim of racism, it's because they probably are a victim of racism. People I meet who are white (mostly people in my family as I've pointed out) have not faced discrimination, but when something happens that is racist whether a person is beaten, shot, beaten to death, or shot to death, or any other way there is to hurt someone seriously or kill them they are quick to tell the person who points it out that the same has happened to a white person somewhere. They show no sympathy for the person of a different ethnicity that has been wronged, but expect everyone to give sympathy to the white person, and if you don't you apparently just hate white people.

Edit: Just read your siggy. Nice reference to the amazingly bad fanfic.
Mikurotsukami
lovelylittlefart
Mikurotsukami

Erm...

I didn't mean it like that. I meant they shouldn't use the past to create racism towards themselves in the present. As an excuse to claim that someone is being racist when they aren't. Never mind xD

...but the past can effect the present.

Fanatical Zealot

Quote:
HOWEVER, racism against white people does not excuse racism against people of other ethnicities.

/slowclap
Suicidesoldier#1
Quote:

/slowclap

User Image

Aged Genius

You know, I appreciate what you're trying to say here (the idea that prejudice against another based solely upon the color of their skin is wrong), but I've got to point out that the term "racism" also takes into account systematic political power and privilege. Therefore, racism cannot happen to white people. What they experience is prejudice, and not great, but it's also not racism.
Agent Cougar Draven
You know, I appreciate what you're trying to say here (the idea that prejudice against another based solely upon the color of their skin is wrong), but I've got to point out that the term "racism" also takes into account systematic political power and privilege. Therefore, racism cannot happen to white people. What they experience is prejudice, and not great, but it's also not racism.

Shhh...you'll be called a racist! They'll say you hate white people!
Edit: Honestly, though, I'm not sure if I understand why prejudice against white people isn't considered racism like prejudice against others is. I'm not saying you're wrong, but I also don't understand it.

Aged Genius

lovelylittlefart
Agent Cougar Draven

And I am one pale ********.

I think that the idea of holding preconceptions of people based solely on their skin color is foolish and goes against the common interests. There's no reason to do it, and people who hold these prejudicial beliefs are assholes.
Agent Cougar Draven
lovelylittlefart
Agent Cougar Draven

I think that the idea of holding preconceptions of people based solely on their skin color is foolish and goes against the common interests. There's no reason to do it, and people who hold these prejudicial beliefs are assholes.

Do you think you can explain the difference between racism against non-white ethnicities and prejudice against whites, though? sweatdrop

Aged Lunatic

Lambs and Lions
We supposedly live in super racist society where racism against people of color is hugely normalized, but still being labeled a racist is seen as a bad thing.

Actually, being "PC" is looked down upon much worse than actually espousing racist views, at least here in the states.

Aged Genius

lovelylittlefart
Agent Cougar Draven
lovelylittlefart
Agent Cougar Draven

Do you think you can explain the difference between racism against non-white ethnicities and prejudice against whites, though? sweatdrop

Easily.

The reason prejudice against people of color gets to be called "racism" is because white people have all the power. Statistically speaking, if a white person acts in a prejudiced manner towards a person of color, it is someone in authority denigrating someone in their authority.

There are studies (I'm not going to cite and source here, Google is a friend to this) wherein identical resumes were attached with names that were stereotypically "white" and stereotypically "non-white", and sent out to hiring managers. In a result that should surprise literally nobody, the "white-sounding" resumes were approved for hire at a rate that far, far outstripped the non-white-names resumes.

Racism against people of color is an ingrained, systematic problem that is demonstrable. And I'm far from an expert on the topic, but to the best of my knowledge there's never been an instance of a white person who was legitimately passed over for a job, promotion, or acceptance to a school (or some other similar marker) only because of the color of their skin.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff