I AM R U's Spouse

Blessed Rogue

10,775 Points
  • Megathread 100
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Mega Tipsy 100
Hawanja
To the OP,

This joke may have been racially offensive, however it was done in parody. Anyone with a brain can tell that this was not meant to be harmful.

black_wing_angel

Old Blue Collar Joe

To Black Wing Angel and Blue Collar Joe,

You know, we were just discussing racist sigs in that other thread, which you two guys essentially told me that racism is in the eye of the beholder, i.e. the sig of president Obama "I don't read cursive" is not racist, because it's not about his race, only his (perceived) lack of adherence to the constitution. Which is bullshit, but whatever.

On page 1 of this thread, there is a poster named "Around Blacks Never Relax" who has this as his sig, below:

User Image

Now, without reading the man's post, based on just this image in his sig, what do you think this person's opinion on the subject at hand would be?

Besides irrelevant to me, or anything I've said in this or any other thread?

Quote:
Does this help illustrate that having such a sig can give the perception of bias?

Or a perception of troll baiting. Either way, it doesn't matter to me. If they say something I agree with, then I agree with what they say. I don't approve of racism, especially as found in that username and signature, but free speech is free.

Quote:
I mean seriously, if this example doesn't drive the point home, then I don't know what will.

So..did you have a point? Or are you just typing for the sake of wasting cyberspace?

Unholy Abomination

22,350 Points
  • Sunny Side Up 100
  • Abomination 100
  • Conventioneer 300
black_wing_angel

Well you may be irrelevant to everything ever, but this is relevant to what you said to me in this thread.

black_wing_angel
Only to other racist douchebags. You know what I see, when I look at it? I see an accurate representation of Barack. A man who apparently can't read cursive, because he blatantly disregards the Constitution, as if he'd never read it.

You only see racial overtones in it, because you want to see racial overtones in it. That's on you, and nobody else.

I'm assuming you can see the racist overtones in this sig, correct? Is it "on me" this time? Am I the only one who's seeing the racism here? Could it be that maybe, just maybe, someone could see racism in the other sig as well?

black_wing_angel
Quote:
Does this help illustrate that having such a sig can give the perception of bias?

Or a perception of troll baiting. Either way, it doesn't matter to me. If they say something I agree with, then I agree with what they say. I don't approve of racism, especially as found in that username and signature, but free speech is free.

I'm not disputing this mans' right to free speech, only that posting an obvious racist image in one's signature exposes one's biases.

black_wing_angel
Quote:
I mean seriously, if this example doesn't drive the point home, then I don't know what will.

So..did you have a point? Or are you just typing for the sake of wasting cyberspace?

First off, nobody said you had to respond. No one is putting a gun to your head and making you type out this response. You don't want to talk to me? Then don't.

Secondly, my point is the same point I made in the other thread, which you chose to ignore - How can I take your opinion seriously if you follow your post with a racist image? In this case, the fact that this guy posts this image tells me he has biases that go beyond the subject at hand, similarly in the other thread the fact that Blue Collar Joe follows his opinion of the president and NSA with his sig tells me he has similar biases. You want me to see your side of the argument, but how can I when your side is so blatantly biased with racist bullshit like this?

Do you understand? You have a lot of mistaken, poorly formed opinions on a lot of things, and you really don't seem to have ever taken the time to learn proper critical thinking. I'm sincerely trying to help you here.

I AM R U's Spouse

Blessed Rogue

10,775 Points
  • Megathread 100
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Mega Tipsy 100
Hawanja
black_wing_angel

Well you may be irrelevant to everything ever,

Statistically incorrect.

Quote:
but this is relevant to what you said to me in this thread.

No it isn't.

Quote:
black_wing_angel
Only to other racist douchebags. You know what I see, when I look at it? I see an accurate representation of Barack. A man who apparently can't read cursive, because he blatantly disregards the Constitution, as if he'd never read it.

You only see racial overtones in it, because you want to see racial overtones in it. That's on you, and nobody else.

I'm assuming you can see the racist overtones in this sig, correct?

Yes I can. How is that relevant to anything?

Quote:
Is it "on me" this time? Am I the only one who's seeing the racism here?

Well...no. Because it's rather blatant. It's not a matter of you personally drawing parallels to what you individually perceive as a "subtle racist" connotation. That one's as blatant as blatant gets.

But again...what does that have to do with anything?

Quote:
Could it be that maybe, just maybe, someone could see racism in the other sig as well?

Sure. I can see an image in an ink blot, too. That, too, is just my mind making comparisons that aren't actually there.

Quote:
black_wing_angel
Quote:

I'm not disputing this mans' right to free speech, only that posting an obvious racist image in one's signature exposes one's biases.

Not necessarily. There's such a thing as "trolling". I'm strongly suspicious that this might be such a case.

Quote:
black_wing_angel
Quote:

First off, nobody said you had to respond.

I did. 3nodding I spoke silently to myself that "wow...that requires rebuttal."

Quote:
No one is putting a gun to your head and making you type out this response.

I know that. So what?

Quote:
You don't want to talk to me? Then don't, and move your stupid a** along.

It's not that I don't want to talk to you. It's that I'd rather we talk about something actually relevant to the conversation of this thread, and not you being butthurt that you're the only person who thinks Joe's sig is racist.

Quote:
Secondly, my point is the same point I made in the other thread,

So why didn't you leave it in that thread?

Quote:
which you chose to ignore

I didn't "ignore" anything.

Quote:
- How can I take your opinion seriously if you follow your post with a racist image?

To that end, I have no trouble taking ABNR's posts. It's the content within them, that matters.

Quote:
In this case, the fact that this guy posts this image tells me he has biases that go beyond the subject at hand, similarly in the other thread the fact that Blue Collar Joe follows his opinion of the president and NSA with his sig tells me he has similar biases.

You're entitled to your opinion. Someone has to be wrong...

Quote:
Do you understand? You have a lot of mistaken, poorly formed opinions on a lot of things.

You're opinion, only....

Quote:
I'm sincerely trying to help you here.

No you're not. And I don't need nor want help from a closet racist.
I don't know the answer to that but i do now that salmonberries the most delicous and super of berries are the answers to everything!! blaugh

Dapper Man-Lover

14,525 Points
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
  • Alchemy Level 10 100
  • Brandisher 100
I guess the #cancelcolbert was started by feminist and Asian activist, Suey Park. She gave an interview to Huffpost live. But of course the interviewer was a white man so when he asked questions Suey Park had to let him know that she was not here waste her energy educating a white man (because journalists ask questions for themselves.)

Suey Park feels that issues of racism should never be joked about. A few days earlier Suey Park participated in the hashtag #KillAllMen. This of course is just a joke, racism is never a joke, gender based genocide of course is. Suey Park does not need to explain herself to these white men who feel entitled to her explaining the difference between joking about racism and joking about genocide.

Dapper Hunter

6,825 Points
  • Treasure Hunter 100
  • Forum Regular 100
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
Salmonberry Bird
I don't know the answer to that but i do now that salmonberries the most delicous and super of berries are the answers to everything!! blaugh

That was lovely. heart
SparkyKid3000
Salmonberry Bird

That was lovely. heart

]

your lovely! heart

Omnipresent Glitch

11,850 Points
  • Peoplewatcher 100
  • Invisibility 100
I've learned from this thread that what I say is satire, what Colbert says is racist, what that guy says is flame-baiting, what I say is completely sincere, what Colbert says is satire and what that guy says is sincere. This concludes that I'm here on the basis that I'm kindhearted and misanthropic.

Since I'm here, it appears I'm supposed to answer in lieu of the dumbest paradox of replies I've read in quite some time.

I'll start by saying I don't watch Colbert. The way these types of shows repeat the same pattern of events is annoying. What he said isn't exactly funny, due to the name being too drawn out to be considered contextually entertaining. (I feel my reply to this thread could help alleviate this position.)

I'm not quite sure what else to say. I'll just say it was mildly funny and mildly offensive. It's like everyone has gone into this conversation on behalf of attempting to light some type of arm-chair psycho-lol-ogist position. He's being defended because "lel-sterotype" of the attacker's "lelmost-stereotype" and he's being attacked because "topkek-stereotype" of the defender's "topmost-stereotype".

I'm going back to whatever the ******** I was doing, because god damn. Where's dat demotivational poster at?
Around Blacks Never Relax
HMS Thunder Child
black_wing_angel
HMS Thunder Child
Or, my favorite:

It's so messed up that it's unfunny, and I'm laughing at how unfunny it is because I live in bizarro world.

I have no idea what you're talking about, on this line....Are you off the meds again, today?
[Frank]

You know what? ******** it. I'm tired of your ableist horseshit. I get enough mockery for my mental illnesses from people I have no choice but to put up with.

>>>Man states he has zero idea what you said
>>>This is offensive and ableism and mockery
>>>This is what libtards actually believe
Well, to be fair that part about the meds was unnecessary.
Avgvsto
black_wing_angel
HMS Thunder Child
[Skeptical]

There's a difference between satire and being a d**k. It's why anyone who calls Family Guy (for example) satire is immediately discredited in all future discussions of what is and isn't satire. Or comedy in general.

General rule, comedy should aim up. You shouldn't make fun of people already dealing with enough s**t.

Sat-ire
noun
the use of humor, irony, exaggeration, or ridicule to expose and criticize people's stupidity or vices, particularly in the context of contemporary politics and other topical issues

I'm pretty sure Family Guy does a fair amount of this. But not nearly so well as South Park, or Colbert.
Whats with google and it's really emotional and kind of biased definitions?
Brothers Bloom. Nice.

Beloved Lunatic

Holy mother of ********, Colbert and the rest of the writing team are completely aware that 'ching chong ding dong' is offensive. That's the ******** point. Asians aren't the butt of this joke, the butt of the joke is stupid rich white people who are doing offensive things.

******** twitter, ******** the idiot comedy central intern who decided to hashtag 'asian', ******** tumblr, ******** you, ******** the rest of you, ******** this thing in particular. ******** everything. Eat s**t, internet.

I AM R U's Spouse

Blessed Rogue

10,775 Points
  • Megathread 100
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Mega Tipsy 100
The20
Around Blacks Never Relax
HMS Thunder Child
black_wing_angel
HMS Thunder Child
Or, my favorite:

It's so messed up that it's unfunny, and I'm laughing at how unfunny it is because I live in bizarro world.

I have no idea what you're talking about, on this line....Are you off the meds again, today?
[Frank]

You know what? ******** it. I'm tired of your ableist horseshit. I get enough mockery for my mental illnesses from people I have no choice but to put up with.

>>>Man states he has zero idea what you said
>>>This is offensive and ableism and mockery
>>>This is what libtards actually believe
Well, to be fair that part about the meds was unnecessary.

Normally, I'd agree. But this is HMS. Anything goes.
HMS Thunder Child
[Skeptical]

There's a difference between satire and being a d**k. It's why anyone who calls Family Guy (for example) satire is immediately discredited in all future discussions of what is and isn't satire. Or comedy in general.

General rule, comedy should aim up. You shouldn't make fun of people already dealing with enough s**t.

wahmbulance Comedy Police on Patrol! wahmbulance

Dapper Hunter

6,825 Points
  • Treasure Hunter 100
  • Forum Regular 100
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
hahahalolwutccl
Holy mother of ********, Colbert and the rest of the writing team are completely aware that 'ching chong ding dong' is offensive. That's the ******** point. Asians aren't the butt of this joke, the butt of the joke is stupid rich white people who are doing offensive things.

******** twitter, ******** the idiot comedy central intern who decided to hashtag 'asian', ******** tumblr, ******** you, ******** the rest of you, ******** this thing in particular. ******** everything. Eat s**t, internet.

Well hello there. Thank you for your intelligent response. Care to share more of your wisdom? 3nodding

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff