Welcome to Gaia! ::

The SDRP is 10 Years Old!

User Image

The School of Dedicated Roleplayers guild Captain (mule account) turned 10 years old this March but we don't really know much about him. We want to get to know him better so we're asking you to find out who he is. We'll even pay you for it!

Your task is to develop an interesting and appropriate personality and backstory for the School of Dedicated Roleplayers guild Captain. You should keep in mind that he is Dean of the Academy (SDRP tutoring program and setting for event RPs) and generally a nice guy but otherwise you should be creative and have fun!

The best submission will be adopted as the character we use in guild RPs and its creator will be awarded bragging rights, 4,000,000 gold, a spot on our Featured RPs list, and an MC Letter for March 2014 (currently valued at 75,000,000)!

But that's not all. Thanks to some super generous donations we will now be giving out a Lets Party chance item to EVERYONE that submits a valid entry - at least the first ten cuz that's all we've got.

Other prizes may be added as funds permit.

How it Works

Just write a description of what you think our Captain should be like and detail a few important events in his life then submit your entry as a reply to this thread.

Your entry should be long enough to fully develop the character (at least 300 words) but, please, do not go over 1,000 words. Inappropriate length will make your entry invalid.

Run your entry through a spell check and try to use decent grammar. Bad writing will make your entry invalid.

We will be accepting entries until June 1st.

Judges will pick the best character from the entries and winners will be announced by June 15th.

Prizes will be awarded the week of the 15th and all trades must be accepted by August 1st or the prize is forfeit.

Until then, feel free to ask questions or wish us a happy birth-month in this thread.

What We're Looking For

We want a well developed, interesting but appropriate character. He should be a good person and a bit of the professorly type for being Dean but you come up with everything else.

His history should make sense for the Dean of a roleplaying university (you should probably read up on the Academy for this) but you come up with how he got there.

He is an adult (you come up with the exact age but somewhere between 30 and 60) so some mature-ish elements can be used, just keep it within ToS, which is PG-13.

Your backstory should be mostly summary with a few interesting parts told in greater detail. Be sure to include how he got to the Academy world and how he became Dean of that strange school. Keep in mind this is an RP setting, not the guild itself.

Your descriptions should be detailed enough for us to get to know him well but not so long as to be a chore for us to read, we've only got two weeks to judge these after all.

Don't worry about how the avi looks, we're having another contest to redress him to fit the personality once it's chosen.

Magical Senshi

I might try later on 4laugh
Caimbrie
I might try later on 4laugh

Looking forward to it.

And thanks to some awesome donations we're now able to give a little something to EVERYONE who enters!

Magical Senshi

School Of Dedicated RPers

That's awesome, I'm currently requesting donations
for Dream Big Dream Free, we're currently splitting up the prizes
so all entrants will receive something, despite the fact it won't be a big prize ; u;

Angelic Muse

15,675 Points
  • Angelic Alliance 100
  • Divine Donator 100
  • Forum Regular 100
The prizes got me to look XD But now I'm getting a couple ideas for this character.Too bad I'm very busy at the moment. Let's just hope I still have my ideas and inspiration when my life gets a little bit easier to handle. If so, I think I'll participate.
FindingJackie
The prizes got me to look XD But now I'm getting a couple ideas for this character.Too bad I'm very busy at the moment. Let's just hope I still have my ideas and inspiration when my life gets a little bit easier to handle. If so, I think I'll participate.

Yeah, the prizes are a nice draw even in Gaia's current economy. The contest is gonna run till June so hopefully you'll have enough time to come up with something.

Timid Gawker

c: I'll keep tabs on this.

Peaceful Lunatic

Max word count of 1000 words? burning_eyes Aw. Well, I suppose it's more of a mini character sheet than a full story. Toying with two different ideas, hopefully will remember to enter one or the other later. Unless you're fine with multiple submissions from one contestant?
Ysavvryl
Max word count of 1000 words? burning_eyes Aw. Well, I suppose it's more of a mini character sheet than a full story. Toying with two different ideas, hopefully will remember to enter one or the other later. Unless you're fine with multiple submissions from one contestant?

Yeah, sorry. We're hoping to get several entries but don't have the time to read pages upon pages of them so 1,000 words is the cutoff. That's still a little over 2 pages, single spaced, in 12pt Arial (I might have found a handy calculator for that math).

If you really want to write more than that though, have at it. I'm never going to tell someone they can't further develop a character. We're just only going to count the first 1,000 for judging.

We'll also be having another contest when this one wraps up that will be more of a traditional story thing so keep an eye out.

As for multiple entries. . . eh. So long as they are significantly different we'll allow it.

Loyal Friend

15,175 Points
  • Happy Birthday! 100
  • Dressed Up 200
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
Here is my try it is not a lot but I tried. I hope it is okay.

Our Captain
Personality:
He is considerate, warm, gives you a fatherly look to make you feel at home and completely welcome in the most professional way. Their is way more to him that most may not always see such as his way to take care of those that abuse the rules of the SDRP. He is dedicated to helping and making sure his staff has what they need.

Background:
In the beginning he was a role player as he grew in his role play experience he began to see others who could use help. He would help when he could he also found a group of friend as they talked. He came up with the idea for the SDRP. They created this guild to help those that would look for help.

Blessed Genius

10,475 Points
  • Team Edward 100
  • Megathread 100
  • Timid 100
Oh my, I'm intrigued. *-* I'm a tad bit busy at the moment, but, perhaps if I have time I can submit something. cat_4laugh

MercerArcher's Husband

Feral Fatcat

18,875 Points
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
  • Person of Interest 200
  • Wall Street 200
Here's my stab at it. Um, is this good? I mean does it fit the guidelines and everything?

Academy Captain:

Personality: The Captain is 34 years old. A tad grumpy and blunt, but thoroughly honest and genuinely wants to help people. He tends to be quiet, isn’t very comfortable in large groups but can really warm up to people on occasion and can be very talkative with people he knows really well. In public, he can seem standoffish as too much time with a lot of people can drain him quickly, hence why no one really knows him that well. He has a love of RP that started kind of late, but grew quickly as most of his obsessions do. When he gets excited about something he really goes all the way with it. His passions can consume him to the point where he forgets to take care of himself a little, so he always looks kind of frazzled when he is working on something he loves, though he tries to look professional at the Academy. He is usually hyper aware of the perceived feelings of those around him, so he always has a kind word and gentle hand for those who come to visit, even if he seems shy and aloof at first.

Background: He breezed through high school and attended college as an English major at a state school. He then cruised through a few only somewhat satisfactory jobs, but his real happiness was in what he did in his spare time. Near the end of his college years, a friend introduced him to the world of Role Playing. He got to like this strange new activity and devoted much of his spare time to learning how to be a successful role player. As the years went by, he noticed the mistakes of other rpers more and more and it began to frustrate him. One night, he found himself talking to the friend that introduced him to the hobby in the first place and was ranting about the grammar mistakes and Mary Sues and clichés. The friend was sympathetic and planted the idea in his head that maybe it would be great if someone ran some sort of program to help people improve more easily. The seed stuck and the Academy was born! He and his closest friends got together and built the school from the ground up, planning classes, hiring mentors and other staff and faculty, advertising, and much more. Once everything was complete, his friends got together and elected him as the first Dean of their new school. He is slightly nervous about steering such an endeavor, but his peers assure him is perfect for the job, so he has reluctantly but firmly taken up the reigns.
O I S E A U X N O I R
come join my contest! click here
Happy Easter! Have a treat on me!Grab your egg.

Magical Explorer

5,850 Points
  • Magical Girl 50
  • Partygoer 500
  • Forum Sophomore 300
Simon D. Roper was a quiet young man, shy but articulate and very bright. His childhood was spent mostly alone or with adults who enriched his vocabulary and opened his eyes to culture but left little room for playmates his own age.

In school he found others his own age, and among them a few friends who seemed easier for him to talk to than others. His circle of friends was small but tight. Then he found an affinity for role playing in high school when some friends discovered the game and encouraged him to join them on a semi-regular basis. Here was a chance to explore the adventures his silent heart yearned for. In role play he found he could lose himself in combat and quests, rescuing the weak and destroying the evil, and gaining experience and treasure along the way. It was extremely satisfying.

As time passed he found many kindred spirits who also enjoyed role playing, and others who were interested but a bit intimidated. Where should I start? What if I'm not good enough? How can I get better at it? So he gathered his closest friends and asked if they would be willing to teach those new to the game, and many said yes. Thus was born the School of Dedicated Rpers! Now there was a way to expand the number of players so a variety of role play opportunities were available, and a way to teach better role playing to make each experience better than the last. He had found his true calling, and has been continuing his work ever since, with the help of some remarkable comrades as well as new friends.

Best of all, he found that working with the school and all the like-minded role players opened his heart to help him grow less shy and more willing to take risks in his life beyond the games. Friendships forged at the school extended beyond it and enriched all involved. He found within himself a blossoming patience with students doing their best and a generous nature willing to help those trying so hard to help themselves. He enjoyed organizing programs and building a community to bring role players of all levels together for fun and camaraderie. The school gave him a sense of pride and accomplishment as well as a haven of opportunities to continue enjoying his favorite pasttime.

(Not knowing you all very well yet, this is as specific as I could come up with. I hope it fits your criteria. Thanks for the fun contest! ~ L)

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff