Welcome to Gaia! ::

Should Gaia have a bank?

Yes, to encourage saving and make it easier to acheive certain things 0.38095238095238 38.1% [ 8 ]
No, it would make the inflation worse/wouldn't help the problem 0.47619047619048 47.6% [ 10 ]
I don't care, I just want gold. ALL THE GOLD! 0.14285714285714 14.3% [ 3 ]
Total Votes:[ 21 ]

Duremian Demigod

20,375 Points
  • Foolhardy Benefactor 500
  • Hellraiser 500
  • Team Moira 200
I know in the past Gaia has said that there won't be a bank for x reason. And if I remember correctly the Bank of Gambino used to let you deposit gold (unless I'm confusing this with something else. With the number of mmos I play this is completely likely.)

I think that Gaia should at least implement a bank or allow you to store gold to encourage saving especially for those of us who have x amount of dream avis and wishlists they want to save up for. I know creating mules are an option however it takes a lot of work to manage and sometimes for some people that falls flat.

I just don't know how they could go about this or if it would help or create more issues with inflation. But on the plus side it would give people a way to save up for their dream avis and give the younger set a way to learn how to save up. (put 10% into a savings and all that)

Perfect Saint

Let's get interest-earning banks out of the way with this.

Quote:
Interest Earning Bank Accounts
An interest earning bank would widen the gap between richer users and not-so-rich users, something we want to avoid. We encourage everyone to earn gold from active participation on Gaia, rather than this type of passive investment. Thus, this is a feature that will not be implemented because it will impact the community negatively.

Any threads discussing or asking for the issues in general in this post will be recycled.

As for the other sort of bank, we have this.
Create an Actual Bank

Tory Salazar's Partner

Anxious Prophet

The problem with a bank is that it would also have a gold cap and may risk people dumping gold into oblivion if they are not aware of what the cap is. The new Mythrill coins are safer in these respects. sweatdrop

Duremian Demigod

20,375 Points
  • Foolhardy Benefactor 500
  • Hellraiser 500
  • Team Moira 200
Atticus Mancinelli
The problem with a bank is that it would also have a gold cap and may risk people dumping gold into oblivion if they are not aware of what the cap is. The new Mythrill coins are safer in these respects. sweatdrop
Except with any site or game you play that has a based currency, there's always going to be a cap.

How people don't know this kind of baffles me..

Codger

Normally I'd be the biggest proponent you'd find here in the SF for an official, multi-featured bank, but with the way gaia's mishandling the site economy, I no longer believe it would be beneficial. They've taken the issue of exponential inflation that an interest granting bank would have and flipped it around by selling gold and causing exactly the same problem. Putting gold bought with cash into a bank would conceal the core problem and make it more difficult to address.

Friendly Werewolf

8,375 Points
  • Brandisher 100
  • Signature Look 250
pirate ninja twisted
A bank at this point is like pissing into the ocean. It is useless. The Gaia economy is in the toilet and unless they scrap it and start over it's simply not going to get any better. The people who run Gaia don't listen to us anymore and are more interested in telling us what we want. It started a long time ago. Where did it start? For me it started when they forced those stupid fish tanks on us. Never gave us an option to have one or not. Then they had that clam which all it did at first was generate coins. For any real change we are going to have to actually walk into their office and demand changes. And it will take a few thousand people doing this all at once so I doubt it will ever happen. All we can really do is ignore what we don't like and move on. Reality sucks some serious a**, huh?
pirate ninja twisted
User Image

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas