Welcome to Gaia! ::

Devoted Bookworm

16,250 Points
  • Cats vs Dogs 100
  • Autobiographer 200
  • Beta Forum Regular 0
Okay, so you've finally completed the first draft of your story, which is nothing if not a monumental feat in and of itself. What's next?

I'm curious as to how different writers in WF go about revising and perfecting their stories. In no small part because I'm still working on the process myself.

I'm currently on pass three of revisions for a story. That particular story was shelved for a long time, heavily re-written, then let to sit for a few months, and now I'm on another round of revising. This pass is meant to be the last one before I pass it off to peers for a beta read and to be about the best I'm likely to manage on my own, so I'm trying hard to fix any discrepancies and make sure everything flows smoothly. I'm reading and highlighting trouble spots for pass one, editing and fixing for pass two, then reading aloud for pass three. Mostly the reading is because I find that I pay a lot more attention when I have to read things aloud.

I have draft versions saved in various stages so that if I decide that I liked the way I did something earlier I can shift back to it, or at least refer to it later. I also have a running document of cut scenes that I liked but didn't quite have a place for and a document with notes and observations. When I was drafting I used it to note things I needed to check up on or things I felt needed tweaking so I could continue drafting without going back to the beginning and making heavy changes. There aren't many notes on it now, but there is one or two referring to the next chunk of chapters coming up -- stuff I realized needed changing after the re-write but haven't changed yet.

I'm also curious about things that you've tried that have or haven't worked. I've heard of people just printing out a double-spaced draft and writing all over it, but that doesn't seem as workable to me. Mostly because jumping back and forth between print and typing seems tedious when I could just edit right on the document.

Dapper Genius

6,300 Points
  • Treasure Hunter 100
  • Trader 100
  • Hygienic 200
i do it differently for every story... the key (i think) is to ask yourself if you could publish it exactly as it is that stage. if the answer is NO (which it will be), ask why, and start editing it from there. it might be that you don't have enough characters, thin subplots, weak dialogue, or simply not enough content. i don't usually make another draft until i get the urge to write something i think would be amazing, which could be a week, an hour, or a month or even a year from the original draft.

talking about the story to someone usually helps.

Dangerous Enabler

I write a lot of shorts, for which the revision process is less intense, but the process itself remains the same: I read it over, fixing typos as I go, assessing flow and pacing. Any major issues with flow and pacing get a comment added so I can go back and fix it in the second pass. In shorts, that's sometimes once scene that needs to be longer or shorter. For novel-length things, it can be fairly involved: on my current YA project, it means going back and reworking every scene with a particular character because they needed to be beefed up and made more consistent.

At that point I'm usually sick of it and throw it at a beta. It goes splat. They get back to me between half an hour and several weeks later.

Excitable Kitten

14,925 Points
  • Magical Girl 50
  • Somebody Likes You 100
  • Launch Party 100
I read through what I wrote.

Sit and think about it for a while.

Figure out there's no way I'd be able to fix it since it's currently such a mess and... proceed to be lazy about starting the complete rewrite.

At least I've gotten a couple note cards written out with chapter progression for the first five chapters. Keeping focused was a major problem in my first draft, I kept telling myself "Okay, this scene will happen next" and then I'd write four or five other scenes before actually getting to the scene I had planned.

I guess in the end this means I'll come back to this thread and be more useful when I actually get to the point that I'm revising a story rather than just tearing my characters and a general plot idea out of it to shove into the body of a new story like some horror movie monstrosity.
I print out the story. Some time off I think is due at this point. In a few weeks or month, I return to it. By red pen, I go through it. Mark up things I'll change. Point out places I want to expand and perhaps make some notes of lines or whatever. Then when I reach the end, I take another break. It may just be a day or a few. Then I go through and upload those into a new copy of the file. Never throw away my old writing. I did it once and it haunts me. There's no telling when an old line or idea will nibble on your ear.

A few drafts before anyone else sees it.

Beyond this basic approach, each story is its own beast. One short I submitted not long ago, the last draft was focused on making sure there was enough build up. Another was filling in the gaps that the cutting of the fat made. My novel has me looking at everything and considering everything, and I will so for at least another draft or two. Then I may open the doors for another set of eyes.
I rarely do a hard edit of anything but the final draft. Reasons for this is simply because while I'm writing, I tend to go back anyways and fix up anything I don't like--the most irritating thing for me is having to read back a sentence I hate.

When I did edit my manuscripts, I printed them out and highlighted whatever needed attending to and fixed up grammar and phrase bloops. But paper is costly, so I've stopped doing this--now I just edit everything on my iPad; I found this nifty portable keyboard for sale during Cyber Monday, and ever since it's been my sweetheart.

For my editing process, it's messy and it's on the spot. I don't like keeping notes because it's frustrating to have to shift back and forth to see what I need to revise. So, instead of keeping notes and going through the marks, I just do a read-through, mark-up/edit, do another read-through, mark-up/edit again, run it through a few people, edit, and do a concluding revision myself. It's tedious stuff; I'd say the most problematic draft is my first, as I'm often scrapping it all and starting over--even if I'm more than half-way done--because I found the prose horrifying. My inner editor drags me through the nine levels of hell every first draft(s).

Beloved Lunatic

I hand write the first draft, or at lease enough to get it started, then I type it out and revise as I go. If there are any chapters that I have major issues with I will write them out in a journal and then fix as many things as I can. I leave it alone for a few weeks and then re-type it, print it out and take my colorful pens to the pages. I can't revise on screen. I need to actually cross things out and have infinite marks on hard copies.

Prophet

The one thing I definitely do NOT do, is go back to page one and fix the story one sentence at a time. My books are not my babies, because at the end of the first draft I still have to lop off a few limbs, graft on some replacements, and go through trauma triage before I even consider giving it a nose job.

I try not to look at my work when I do my first edit. Then I don't get caught up in the words and I instead think about it scene by scene, story arc by story arc, character by character. Better to address the big things that need major rewriting than to get bogged down in what the best turn of phrase is.

Witty Phantom

I don't really make changes to what I wrote

I just take a quick peek at the first draft then rewrite it completely, keeping parts that I really liked.

I don't like looking at it too much because I don't want it to influence the new draft too heavily and have it end up being too similar
I read it, laugh at my mistakes, end up getting caught in reading the s**t out loud and then get tired and never actually get anything done.

Good thing I don't post any of my garbage.
I don't edit so much as completely rewrite my stuff. ^.^; But I heard a good way to edit grammar and other mechanical errors after you're done fixing the plot is to start with the last chapter and work backwards. That way you won't get distracted by the content as much (and at that point, you might be sick of reading the story anyway so this would be a way to make it a little different or at least slightly less repetitive).

Devoted Bookworm

16,250 Points
  • Cats vs Dogs 100
  • Autobiographer 200
  • Beta Forum Regular 0
Sathael
The one thing I definitely do NOT do, is go back to page one and fix the story one sentence at a time. My books are not my babies, because at the end of the first draft I still have to lop off a few limbs, graft on some replacements, and go through trauma triage before I even consider giving it a nose job.

I try not to look at my work when I do my first edit. Then I don't get caught up in the words and I instead think about it scene by scene, story arc by story arc, character by character. Better to address the big things that need major rewriting than to get bogged down in what the best turn of phrase is.

Your re-writing process sounds a lot like mine. Most of pass two was fixing the major inconsistencies and trying to create a story that flowed better, but also fixing up some of the major plot inconsistencies and heavily modifying the storyline so that it worked better. Pass three, which I am on now, is a lot more fine-tuning. Though getting to that point has taken a while. And I may need a fourth pass for the end bits ... I have one scene still that needs heavy tweaking, and I just don't trust myself to fine-tune something when I'm still trying to make sure the foundation is strong enough and that it leads into a smooth story.

Kairi Nightingale
I don't edit so much as completely rewrite my stuff. ^.^; But I heard a good way to edit grammar and other mechanical errors after you're done fixing the plot is to start with the last chapter and work backwards. That way you won't get distracted by the content as much (and at that point, you might be sick of reading the story anyway so this would be a way to make it a little different or at least slightly less repetitive).

lppurplegirl11
I don't really make changes to what I wrote

I just take a quick peek at the first draft then rewrite it completely, keeping parts that I really liked.

I don't like looking at it too much because I don't want it to influence the new draft too heavily and have it end up being too similar

Seems like there's two schools of thought on editing, and you're both pretty firmly in the heavily re-write category as opposed to the fix-as-you-go school.

What does a re-write look like to you, Kairi? Do you look back on your first draft or do you set it aside entirely like purple?

Purple -- why do you try to make the second draft come out so differently from the first one? Is there a specific advantage, to you, in writing a different story around the same concept?

I ask because even when I re-write something that I really didn't like, I find myself referring back to the original pretty heavily, even if I'm adding new plot threads, cutting or heavily modifying large chunks of the dialogue, or altering the plot because the original version of it didn't work out properly. I guess I think of it as more something to be tweaked and re-arranged as opposed to completely thrown out. Curious as to your methods, because they sound very different from mine.
terradi

What does a re-write look like to you, Kairi? Do you look back on your first draft or do you set it aside entirely like purple?

I decide on a case by case basis. If I completely hate the scene, I'll set it aside and write something entirely new. If I like the scene but feel it can be altered or done in a better way, I might refer back to it as I'm writing the new version. Most of the time, I just write down the major things I need to get across in the scene and keep rewriting that part in different ways until I'm satisfied. I don't really recommend this to anyone, though, because it takes a very long time for me to finish anything. Every time I rewrite a part using a new idea, I usually have to go back and fix up some of the previous scenes or change the plans of future scenes to match up with any alterations. I don't plan on being published anytime soon and have no problem taking my time. I love writing and take it seriously, but it's still a hobby to me and others may be looking for a quicker approach.
Once I'm done the first draft, I walk away from it for a while. Maybe a few months or so. One I have not looked at in a year or so! That way, for me at least, when I go back for edits etc., it's not so "front and centre" in my mind and I can be a bit more objective and approach it as a reader more easily. I also like to print out a hard copy, use a hi-lighter for typos and such and scribble notes in the margins when ideas come for improvement.......as they always do! biggrin

Gash

Witty Phantom

terradi

Why do you try to make the second draft come out so differently from the first one? Is there a specific advantage, to you, in writing a different story around the same concept?

I ask because even when I re-write something that I really didn't like, I find myself referring back to the original pretty heavily, even if I'm adding new plot threads, cutting or heavily modifying large chunks of the dialogue, or altering the plot because the original version of it didn't work out properly. I guess I think of it as more something to be tweaked and re-arranged as opposed to completely thrown out. Curious as to your methods, because they sound very different from mine.

I try to make my second draft different from the first because I feel like my first drafts are too rough to be salvaged. Every time I finish writing something, I feel as though I've improved a lot. By writing my first draft, I've accumulated enough knowledge about what it is I want to write, that I can do it better the second time around.

I don't change the ideas as much as I just expand on them. I hate to look at the original because it's the sentences that I try to get away from. I'm looking to write more or less the same story, but using words and structures that I feel are superior to the ones used previously.

I write basic chapter outlines so I don't have to refer to the original and "spoil" my new train of thought. For example "Chapter one: character is hiking in the mountains and finds a strange object, takes it home, starts having strange dreams"

So the same things happen but it's told better.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff