Welcome to Gaia! ::

Hilarious Autobiographer

9,900 Points
  • Signature Look 250
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
  • Inquisitor 200
Link

Quote:
MOSCOW (AP) — Tens of thousands of anti-government protesters marched in central Moscow Saturday against a Kremlin-backed referendum in Crimea on whether to break away from Ukraine and join Russia.

It was the largest anti-government demonstration since 2012. Demonstrators waved Russian and Ukrainian flags, while opposition activists — including two members of the p***y Riot punk band — shouted "Say no to war!" and "Putin, go away!" from the stage.

Protesters also held up banners that read: "For your freedom and for ours!" One demonstrator held up a plate of salo — cured pork fat that is a staple of Ukrainian cuisine and adored by many Russians — along with a poster that read: "Make salo, not war!"

Nearby, a rally of several thousand was held close to the Kremlin in support of Russian intervention in Crimea.

Crimea's referendum Sunday has been loudly condemned as illegitimate by much of the international community. As heavily armed forces apparently under Russian command have effectively taken control of the peninsula, the vote to join Russia has been widely criticized as a mere formality.

Russian support for reclaiming Crimea majority has intensified amid weeks of relentless state television coverage of purported aggression toward ethnic Russians by the new Kiev government, which came to power after Ukraine's Moscow-friendly president, Viktor Yanukovych, fled the country in February.

While President Vladimir Putin's ratings have risen since he announced Russia's willingness to use force in Ukraine, the anti-government demonstration Saturday showed that not everyone is happy with the decision.

"I love Ukraine — it's Putin who needs war and an empire, not me," said Dmitry Maksimov, a 29-year-old lawyer who held a bouquet of flowers dyed blue and yellow, the colors of the Ukrainian flag.

Nadezhda Tolokonnikova, a member of p***y Riot, called for defiance against the authorities.

"Don't believe it when they say that we are few, that we are weak. Together we will change this country," she said in a speech from a stage.

None of Russia's state-owned news channels showed footage from the anti-government protest, and instead showed live video from the rally near the Kremlin, where large gangs of men from a group called "Essence of Time" dressed in uniform red jackets and marched to the sound of Soviet-era military music in disciplined columns.

With all the chaos that's going on, it's nice to know that at the very least there are Russians that join the world view of how crazy this incident has gotten. Don't be afraid, dear Ukrainians. There are in fact allies in the enemy nation.
Unless you're saying that Yahoo News is pro-American and is fabricating this story >.>
rolleyes If Crimea chooses to become a part of Russia, then that should be their right

Ferocious Browser

x-Garethp-x
rolleyes If Crimea chooses to become a part of Russia, then that should be their right

That never works out that way though. Otherwise we would have a lot more countries than we do today. For all our 'modern' talk as a planet, nations still do not let people go when they want willy nilly. Ask China, or Spain, or pretty much any African nation. They cling to those boundaries like their own personal lives depend on them.

This particular case, I would agree, but with the military interventionism that has happened, and the puppet government that just fled...I don't know if that's clear cut that Crimea wants to leave.
Eveille
x-Garethp-x

That never works out that way though. Otherwise we would have a lot more countries than we do today. For all our 'modern' talk as a planet, nations still do not let people go when they want willy nilly. Ask China, or Spain, or pretty much any African nation. They cling to those boundaries like their own personal lives depend on them.

This particular case, I would agree, but with the military interventionism that has happened, and the puppet government that just fled...I don't know if that's clear cut that Crimea wants to leave.

Maybe, but all of this posturing about how Russia is "invading" Crimea and starting a war and how Russia shouldn't accept their resolution is just because the US and EU somehow think that Russia is the worst thing in the world. If Ukraine were close to Russia and Crimea wanted to break off and be part of the EU, there'd be world wide support for that and pressure for Ukraine to let them. Frankly this whole demonizing Russia is just a case of everyone being hypocritical dicks

Omnipresent Warlord

x-Garethp-x
Eveille
x-Garethp-x

Maybe, but all of this posturing about how Russia is "invading" Crimea and starting a war and how Russia shouldn't accept their resolution is just because the US and EU somehow think that Russia is the worst thing in the world. If Ukraine were close to Russia and Crimea wanted to break off and be part of the EU, there'd be world wide support for that and pressure for Ukraine to let them. Frankly this whole demonizing Russia is just a case of everyone being hypocritical dicks

Russia is forcing a vote with "Remain in Ukraine as it is" or even have Crimea as even a functional part of Ukraine not even be a ******** option. Plus there's the Russian crackdown of the news and internet in Crimea It's not a legitimate election.

Popular Poster

9,750 Points
  • Popular Thread 100
  • Generous 100
  • Ultimate Player 200
Ugh, Sometimes i wish we could all get along. It's men like Putin that stop us from doing this, Let's go to war. burning_eyes

Feral Fatcat

Etna Midnight
Ugh, Sometimes i wish we could all get along. It's men like Putin that stop us from doing this, Let's go to war. burning_eyes

Nononononono. If you know anything about the cold war you would know that you DO NOT go to war with Russia. Bad idea, no body would win and a lot of people would die if we ever got involved in a war with them

Popular Poster

9,750 Points
  • Popular Thread 100
  • Generous 100
  • Ultimate Player 200
We are much more powerful now. A lot of country combined. to help take this dictatorship now.

Profitable Entrepreneur

6,300 Points
  • Profitable 100
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
  • Wall Street 200
Yay, an ultimately pointless protest that shall cause no change in reality whatsoever! It is so heartening to see the intellectually callow youth of Russia so willing to tilt at windmills...reminds me of the Occupy Movement *dabs away a tear*. The only thing missing is Ms Tolokonnikova (OoC: what is the Russian equivalent of "Ms"?) taking the opportunity to hawk her band's latest cd rolleyes

If only some leader in the west would have the presence of mind, not to mention the humility, to quote Wellington..."Napoleon has humbugged me, by God; he has gained twenty-four hours' march on me." C'mon, spineless western European leadership, say it. At least then I'll think you are at least capable of self-analysis. I'd even have a little respect for you.

Popular Poster

9,750 Points
  • Popular Thread 100
  • Generous 100
  • Ultimate Player 200
Russia Just needs friends. *Forever alone*

Hilarious Autobiographer

9,900 Points
  • Signature Look 250
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
  • Inquisitor 200
x-Garethp-x

That's totally their right. The issue that some people are worrying about is that from what other people are saying from the border, Russia is most likely going to try and take just a bit more from Ukraine. If Russia is going to just stop at Crimea, then I'll begrudgingly accept what happened.
Mitsuki Horenake
x-Garethp-x

That's totally their right. The issue that some people are worrying about is that from what other people are saying from the border, Russia is most likely going to try and take just a bit more from Ukraine. If Russia is going to just stop at Crimea, then I'll begrudgingly accept what happened.

From where I'm sitting, knowing Crimea's history and looking at the actions of both Russia and Crimea, Russia isn't "taking" from Ukraine, Crimea is choosing to go back to Russia, where it was before the 50's. Now, if they decline and Russia ignores them, or if Russia DOES invade Ukraine, I'll admit I'm wrong, but for now it doesn't look anything like people are making it out to be

Hilarious Autobiographer

9,900 Points
  • Signature Look 250
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
  • Inquisitor 200
x-Garethp-x
Mitsuki Horenake
x-Garethp-x

From where I'm sitting, knowing Crimea's history and looking at the actions of both Russia and Crimea, Russia isn't "taking" from Ukraine, Crimea is choosing to go back to Russia, where it was before the 50's. Now, if they decline and Russia ignores them, or if Russia DOES invade Ukraine, I'll admit I'm wrong, but for now it doesn't look anything like people are making it out to be

I'm not complaining about Crimea wanting to go back. Go right ahead. Everyone's just claiming that Russia's not going to stop at Crimea, say "screw it" and just take over Ukraine again.

Ruthless Bachelorette

12,300 Points
  • Bunny Spotter 50
  • Super Tipsy 200
  • Perfect Attendance 400
Anyone thought of the people who are stuck in Crimera and DON'T want to be part of Russia? What are they suppose to do? Get forced into being Russian citizens and perhaps lose the access of going to see their relatives in Ukraine do to border laws? Or would they be deported when they refuse to change their nationality? Some people have been there for a long time, that is their home too. How would you act if another country came in and demanded their land back? The land you and your family bought, where you grew up, where your parents might have even grew up at? It's just sad to think of all those people who do not wish to become Russian citizens. sad

Profitable Entrepreneur

6,300 Points
  • Profitable 100
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
  • Wall Street 200
bluegeam
Anyone thought of the people who are stuck in Crimera and DON'T want to be part of Russia? What are they suppose to do? Get forced into being Russian citizens and perhaps lose the access of going to see their relatives in Ukraine do to border laws? Or would they be deported when they refuse to change their nationality? Some people have been there for a long time, that is their home too. How would you act if another country came in and demanded their land back? The land you and your family bought, where you grew up, where your parents might have even grew up at? It's just sad to think of all those people who do not wish to become Russian citizens. sad

Curious that in all that typing, there is not a single tear shed for all those in eastern Ukraine who could say the same thing...why should they be forced to join the EU if they do not wish to? And because the U.S. and western Europe is becoming unreasonably aggresive over the issue, eastern Ukraine will likely be denied any self same chance at self determination as that granted to Crimea. At least Crimea was given a choice...the "democratic" west would rather go to war than give pro-Russian east Ukraine their right to decide their own fate.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff