Welcome to Gaia! ::

Shadowy Rogue

Soooo, I am aspiring mechanic soon to take classes in the field. I have no job, Lazy, and just sit on my a** sometimes reading Jalopnik for hours on end. emotion_awesome This summer is going to be the season I get my ******** license and work at some degrading place that could be not target. Now, I will inherit a 1999 Toyota 4Runner with its 3.4L sixer 5VZ-FE which will become a DD. Now, say I make around 5G's by summer's end continuing into fall. I am a pontiac devotee, I love GTO's of 68'/69' in particular. ( Dat Eudura Bumper and fold away headlights... Mhmmm MMm emotion_dowant ) But, those are wildly out of a beginner's reach. Even for a good one, which may around 7-10 on a REALLY good day based on market values from god knows when. I've been looking at earlier GTO's, Tempest, Le Man's, and holy if you know about dat 2+2. mm sexy. emotion_kirakira

So, TG. Give me the lay down and hap hazard ideas for a plan. emotion_awesome

DreadWhore's Other Half

Omnipresent Gekko

First bit of advice I have to give
Don't be a mechanic! s**t barely pays until you get way deep in
If you must work on cars, go more into the engineering side of things

Next, I'm not sure what to recommend you based on your preferences x.X
I personally say it's best to embrace all makes and models

I mean, a Conquest/Starion falls into your price range, and those're more fun than cars should be

Shadowy Rogue

Crimmy Sun

I mean, a Conquest/Starion falls into your price range, and those're more fun than cars should be

I know the risk, but the welder calls, the wrenches to twist, socket drivers to hiss. emotion_dowant
I cannot help myself around rust buckets. If I make more then 30 thousand a year in the first years, It will be enough... till I have kids and get married. emotion_0A0

ooo Conquest.... That would make a nice car, but I am tooo attracted to the Indian arrows. Tempest or bust. emotion_kirakira

DreadWhore's Other Half

Omnipresent Gekko

-Moon Fire Liako-
Crimmy Sun

I know the risk, but the welder calls, the wrenches to twist, socket drivers to hiss. emotion_dowant
I cannot help myself around rust buckets. If I make more then 30 thousand a year in the first years, It will be enough... till I have kids and get married. emotion_0A0

ooo Conquest.... That would make a nice car, but I am tooo attracted to the Indian arrows. Tempest or bust. emotion_kirakira

I say you should do it on the side
Get a job that allows you to afford the cars you want and parts and such
That way you wont learn to hate it like 5 years down the line, and you'll be able to get more and better toys

Shadowy Rogue

Crimmy Sun
I can understand what you are saying, but engineer is not for me. If it ends up that way, well, I'll just quit and find another shop. In my naive head, passion is what counts. Being a humble tradeswomen is all I want to be loool, I could have went down the machinist path six mouths ago. I'd rather stay where I am right now and go with it XP

DreadWhore's Other Half

Omnipresent Gekko

-Moon Fire Liako-
Crimmy Sun
I can understand what you are saying, but engineer is not for me. If it ends up that way, well, I'll just quit and find another shop. In my naive head, passion is what counts. Being a humble tradeswomen is all I want to be loool, I could have went down the machinist path six mouths ago. I'd rather stay where I am right now and go with it XP

Honorable
Well I hope it never starts to lose its glitz for you the way it did for me

Dangerous Capitalist

5,700 Points
  • Brandisher 100
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
  • Ultimate Player 200
-Moon Fire Liako-
Soooo, I am aspiring mechanic soon to take classes in the field. I have no job, Lazy, and just sit on my a** sometimes reading Jalopnik for hours on end. emotion_awesome This summer is going to be the season I get my ******** license and work at some degrading place that could be not target. Now, I will inherit a 1999 Toyota 4Runner with its 3.4L sixer 5VZ-FE which will become a DD. Now, say I make around 5G's by summer's end continuing into fall. I am a pontiac devotee, I love GTO's of 68'/69' in particular. ( Dat Eudura Bumper and fold away headlights... Mhmmm MMm emotion_dowant ) But, those are wildly out of a beginner's reach. Even for a good one, which may around 7-10 on a REALLY good day based on market values from god knows when. I've been looking at earlier GTO's, Tempest, Le Man's, and holy if you know about dat 2+2. mm sexy. emotion_kirakira

So, TG. Give me the lay down and hap hazard ideas for a plan. emotion_awesome
It all come down to money. First off I would look into how much money your going to put into that Toyota to keep it running. My guess is that your Toyota is going to be getting you to work, if that vehicle becomes disabled then your going to have trouble getting to work. So keep in mind the money you'll be using on gas, insurance, and random maintenance.
So your looking at a GTO? "The Great One" as the commercials called it, not a bad car at all! Most car experts actually say the GTO was the first real Muscle car. One thing to keep in mind when buying a used Muscle car is that your buying someone else problems.
After coming back from Air Force ROTC training, my parents told me that I would have to find a car to get me to college. So after looking around town I found a car that had caught my eye. It was an 2006 Ford Mustang Convertible. As a college student making $450 a month from the military, $264 goes to my car payment. Well of course right away I started modding the engine. I put a Cold air take in, I bought a computer programer and re-tuned engine, changed up the transmission shifting, fuel grade, ect. I had almost spent $1000 on engine mods, to the point that the only money left in my account was for the car payment. 2 months later I was driving on a hot day and as luck has it, the temp gauge failed and I burnt out a hose in the middle of no where. I had to pay $500 to get it fixed, with the help of my parents of course.
Basically what I am saying is don't put all your eggs in one basket. Buying a descent shape GTO isn't going to be cheap. So if you spend all your money on fix your GTO and your Toyota fails, your going to be stuck in a tough spot.
Also don't buy a convertible, this was my first convertible and it will probably be my last. Its not that they don't seal well(mine seals fine, almost like a hard top), its just so much maintenance problems that go with it. They can be fun don't get me wrong, but it comes at a price!

Shadowy Rogue

Panzerfaust99

The toyota is a well maintained SUV, its the forth family member. It gets what it needs, the engine already has around 160K miles on it, and still pulls strong when I drive it. Always going to be problems, a Risk I will have to take. Oh no, the convertibles are much more rarer then the hard tops for later years ( 68-70 ) if I Recall. I know my money will be going to body work before suspension,brakes, and engine performance upgrades. I want a 400 with duel quads rofl I will be sacking money, cash for sure. That's why I am looking at Tempest/ Le Mans of the same years, same platform and general shape ;3;

i had the chance to buy a frame w/ body and no engine for 1k. Yet school and space issues would have been a problem.

Dangerous Capitalist

5,700 Points
  • Brandisher 100
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
  • Ultimate Player 200
-Moon Fire Liako-
Panzerfaust99

The toyota is a well maintained SUV, its the forth family member. It gets what it needs, the engine already has around 160K miles on it, and still pulls strong when I drive it. Always going to be problems, a Risk I will have to take. Oh no, the convertibles are much more rarer then the hard tops for later years ( 68-70 ) if I Recall. I know my money will be going to body work before suspension,brakes, and engine performance upgrades. I want a 400 with duel quads rofl I will be sacking money, cash for sure. That's why I am looking at Tempest/ Le Mans of the same years, same platform and general shape ;3;

i had the chance to buy a frame w/ body and no engine for 1k. Yet school and space issues would have been a problem.
If you going to pick a muscle car, go pre 1970's. The 70's had major fuel crisis's, which led to government regulations engine performance. Which basically killed the muscle cars performance.
The big issue that will also be present is your wanting a Pontiac. Pontiac has been out of business for a few years now, not to mention the last Tempest came out in the late 70's. Unlike people like me who own a in production muscle car, like my Mustang, your going to have trouble finding parts. With my Mustang, I just go to Americanmuscle.com to buy my after market parts for engine performance or body kits. Also I can just stop buy a local Ford dealer to fix major issues. The Tempest, however, has been in the market for over 20 years. Finding parts for that may, if not, even be impossible to find. I honestly couldn't tell you any one I know who owns a GTO, let a lone a Tempest. I know people who own Firebirds! Not saying that those parts aren't out there, but this car has been out of service for more then 20 years. Most of the junked cars or spare parts have probable been taken.
If you looking for the same body style you could always try Buick or Oldsmobile. The Ford Fairlane has the same style body, my GF's uncle drag races in his 1961 Fairlane. He has won a lot with that car.

Shadowy Rogue

Panzerfaust99
Through someone I know... I know where to get parts... kinda... Yea, its sad that Pontiac went bye bye. The GM A-Body for GTO/TEMPEST/LE MANS share body and drive train components, so I can take body panel from this and slap in on that so I am not too worried. The aftermarket will always have I am certain, I am going to welding and possibly bodyshop... Oh, there was once a guy in my neighborhood who owned around five-six GTO's.

Dangerous Capitalist

5,700 Points
  • Brandisher 100
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
  • Ultimate Player 200
-Moon Fire Liako-
Panzerfaust99
Through someone I know... I know where to get parts... kinda... Yea, its sad that Pontiac went bye bye. The GM A-Body for GTO/TEMPEST/LE MANS share body and drive train components, so I can take body panel from this and slap in on that so I am not too worried. The aftermarket will always have I am certain, I am going to welding and possibly bodyshop... Oh, there was once a guy in my neighborhood who owned around five-six GTO's.
Honestly since you have a plan you should be fine. You just have to make sure you have the resources on the parts. I am not trying to get to personal here, but are you still in High School?
-Moon Fire Liako-
Panzerfaust99
you may be able to find a good shape le mans for around what your money gto that run not going to happen really

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff