Welcome to Gaia! ::

So I am wondering that.

Ok I really desire to be married which is odd for a guy but I desire it because I really don't want to be alone. Like right now I'm slowly becoming alone and it's making me depressed since my friends around me are getting married or getting relationships which means they aren't hanging out as much.

EDIT: I've been slowly feelin unloved as I get older and it's making me depressed, I really wish I could find someone who would love me. I've been trying to be happy being single but every time I go somewhere and see couples around, I just feel lonely and I'm sorry if I'm selfish. I'm sorry about my jealousy, it's been taking a toll on me if you have any answres then PM or something but I don't want this to become the discussion. I'm sorry if that's selfish or stupid it's my reasons, please respect that. I know you may or may not agree but let's not make discussion about that. If you have issues about it please keep it to yourself or argue with me of a PM.

People are telling me that I am stupid for wanting to be married and I don't understand why they want convince me otherwise that marriage is bad. I know it doesn't work for everyone and I understand it's a lot of work too. I still understand why there is such a strong opposition against it either. I'm talking overall marriage regardless of sexual orientation which I have no issue of homosexuals marrying as well. I just want to get that aside.

So still I am still wondering why people think I am stupid for wanting something even if it's a piece a paper with tax benefits. Like I said I'm tiring of being alone, because I know my friends aren't going to be there most likely in the future, so i want someone who will be plus some additional insignificant stuff that goes with it.

So tell me your opinions, I don't care if you oppose marriage or support it, I respect your opinion as long as you respect mine.

Merry Tipper

It's not odd for you wanting to be married if you're a guy. It's a personal preference thing that both my male and female friends differ on. Although I will say that it's mostly the friends who have divorced parents who don't believe in marriage... But then again it's not all of them so again I think it comes down to personal taste. Maybe you're just the sensitive type that wants to love and be loved. Other people are more interested in their own needs and happiness and prefer to satisfy those than sacrifice for the needs of another.

I can see why marriage isn't idea for some people. It does mean you'll be with one person day in day out for however long you stay married. I think some people just can't make that kind of connection with another person. In my opinion some people are just meant to be alone and they prefer that. Not everyone needs the emotional support that comes with finding a life partner or they don't want to have to share their life and would rather do what they want to do. And hey - that's ok! Other people are happier with having a significant other in their life and everything that comes with it.

But I think that people calling you stupid for it is not right... To me that's the equivalent of someone trying to force their lifestyle choices on you. You know like the stereotypical crazy vegetarian who is all 'eating meat is cruel'. It's your belief at the end of the say and that doesn't mean it's therefore everyone's belief.

Wheezing Kitten

26,865 Points
  • Megathread 100
  • Millionaire 200
  • Invisibility 100
I like marriage.

Merry Tipper

XxTheSmittenKittenxX
I like marriage.

Me too heart
I'm not married yet - or anywhere near it! - but I would like to one day settle down.

Precious Vegetarian

23,175 Points
  • Object of Affection 150
  • Tooth Fairy 100
  • Marathon 300
Im not overall against marriage. If people want to get married I say let them.

As for my personal self though, I never want to be legally intertwined with someone else. I'll love them be loyal to them and stay with them. I just do not like the legal side of things.

Lavish Loiterer

Trinicia Draken
XxTheSmittenKittenxX
I like marriage.

Me too heart
I'm not married yet - or anywhere near it! - but I would like to one day settle down.
3nodding

Dedicated Loiterer

Marriage is strictly a legal union. Other than legal benefits, there's nothing in a marriage that isn't in a relationship between two loving adults.
From a more personal standpoint, though, I think people try a lot harder in their relationships before they're married. Before getting married, people usually hide their less attractive quirks and habits, but those quirks and habits tend to come out after getting married. It's not necessarily a bad thing, but a lot of relationships can't take that strain.

Don't get me wrong, I don't think marriage is pointless or bad or anything. I just don't understand why everyone is always in such a rush to get married. It's not some fantastic wonderland where all your trouble melt away like gumdrops in the mouth of a smelly five-year-old. It's a hell of a lot of work, but most people are too busy romanticizing it to realize that.

Wheezing Kitten

26,865 Points
  • Megathread 100
  • Millionaire 200
  • Invisibility 100
Trinicia Draken
XxTheSmittenKittenxX
I like marriage.

Me too heart

Same here!

Interesting Codger

2,750 Points
  • Person of Interest 200
  • Hygienic 200
  • Dressed Up 200
Wanting to get married because you "don't want to be alone anymore" sounds like a really terrible reason to want to get married to me. I mean, presumably you'd be dating someone for a while before you get married to them - are you alone the whole time you're dating, and only after you get married you're not alone anymore?

It also feels kind of like the same perverse sort of thinking that makes some people think that if they get married or get pregnant their relationship will work out.

I'm opposed to monogamy in general, I think. It sounds way too much like ownership over another person, which I find inherently wrong, even if it's mutual.

7,250 Points
  • Citizen 200
  • Member 100
  • Treasure Hunter 100
It's not as "Beautiful" as it use to be.
I don't need a new status to be dedicated to my lover. That's my thing.

Fashionable Gekko

11,400 Points
  • Hygienic 200
  • Trader 100
  • Cart Raider 100
Everybody isnt going to like everything. I hate how the media has made a mockery of marriage
Personally I'd love to get married one day
Very Beautiful Samira
Everybody isnt going to like everything. I hate how the media has made a mockery of marriage

I'm kind of confused. how has the media made a mockery on marriage? I'm just confused.

Fashionable Gekko

11,400 Points
  • Hygienic 200
  • Trader 100
  • Cart Raider 100
langland07
Very Beautiful Samira

I'm kind of confused. how has the media made a mockery on marriage? I'm just confused.

We because of them reporting on all these celebrity "marriages." Like take Kim Kardashian's marriage for example. The media made such a big deal about that 2 million dollar wedding she had and then made an even bigger deal about her getting a divorce 72 days later. Basically the media has glorified failed marriages and let a lot of young and impressionable people to believe that's what marriage is really like.
Marriage is whatever you make of it. Some people view it as "taking the next step" in a relationship, others view it as validation... ect. It is whatever you want it to be. And because we as a society have become more relaxed about premarital cohabitation and sex, it isn't held as a high priority anymore -- especially with the staggering divorce rates.

So you can't really blame others for having a negative connotation with marriage, but that doesn't mean anything is wrong with you because you hold it at a high value. Just don't make that an end-all, be - all goal of a fresh relationship. Some people want to wait a while, others might not want it at all. And it'll only mean more depression if you keep every relationship at that expectation. So enjoy the dates, good and bad, enjoy the dating phase, ect.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff