Welcome to Gaia! ::

Questionable Sex Symbol

9,325 Points
  • Signature Look 250
  • Popular Thread 100
  • Millionaire 200
This is a work in progress, hasn't been edited, and just what I managed to put together in a couple nights of boredom. Will probably be continued, edited, etc. If you want to comment, please feel free, but be gentle; it's still a work in progress. smile

Questionable Sex Symbol

9,325 Points
  • Signature Look 250
  • Popular Thread 100
  • Millionaire 200
I woke up this morning, thinking everything was going to be okay, not knowing that today would be the last of my normal existence. I rolled over ten minutes before my alarm would go off, sighed, and puffed out my bottom lip in defeat; there was no time to go back to sleep. As I flung the blanket off me and placed my feet on the ground, I felt a sudden pressure build up inside my heart. He wasn't here. He never would be here again. How was I supposed to continue? How was I supposed to pretend that everything was okay? He'd left me. For her. I would have to put on a face like I had for the past four months, even though I worked right next to her. That b***h. That man-stealing whore! But, I was over it. Maybe...

I showered with an absent mind, working mostly from routine and muscle memory; blow-dried my hair and looked at myself in the mirror. I'm not gorgeous, but I'm not unattractive! How could he have chosen her? I have perky breasts that fit comfortably in a C-cup, a narrow waist, and long legs. How could anyone not want me? That a**-hole. I am a natural strawberry blonde, which everyone believes I color. I don't. And dark blue eyes. Traits from both parents.

I dressed, again, from memory. A red ruffled shirt, black A-line skirt, and a cute little pair of kitten heels I'd gotten on sale the weekend before. I would show him! Show him I was capable of living, capable of moving on. I didn't need him. I was strong! Independent! And alone... We had lived together, we had shared all our secrets. And he had abandoned me. I needed to move on for me, not to prove something to him. I could do it. Day by day, one step at a time. It's probably been four months, I lost count after Day 97. Why linger?!

I grabbed my coat and keys, threw my purse over one shoulder and took a deep, steadying breath. I could do this! I had to. I placed my hand on the doorknob and stopped; what if he came in to visit her today? What if I broke down and begged him to come back? No. I couldn't. And I sure as hell wasn't going to belittle myself by grovelling at his knock-off shoes and crying like a lost little girl! One more breath, and I closed the door behind me triumphantly.

I ran to my car, my heels clicking against the pavement beneath me, and covered my head best I could with my jacket and purse. Even though it was pouring, it was warm. Well, humid really. I jumped in my car to look in the rear-view mirror and see a depressed woman staring back. Did I really look that way? The rain didn't help, ruining most of my fresh make-up and matting my perfectly straight hair down, which would only curl and frizz up later. Oh well, I still had my confidence. Barely. I started the car and drove to work.

I parked in my regular spot in the underground parking, right next to the black BMW convertible. That b***h. He bought her everything, and he couldn't even buy me tampons when we were together. To think I loved him. But I had. Fixing my make up, I reapplied my mascara, thanking whatever genius came up with waterproof eye-liner, and pulled my hair up into a ponytail with my butterfly clip. I climbed out of my car and scanned the garage, looking for predators. Not that there would be, but I liked to feel safe and secure. That's when I noticed a car I'd never seen before. Well, not here before. A brand new white Chevrolet Camaro, with black stripes down the hood. Who could that be? I dismissed it and went to the parkade elevator, pressed the button for the sixth floor, and waited patiently for the door to close. Just as it did, an arm stuck through and stopped the door. I jumped back in fright and immediately pressed the button to keep the doors open.

"Sorry about that," the gentleman said and smiled, stepping inside next to me and reaching for the selection button; his hand hovered over six, only to realize it was already pressed and then took a step back. He was incredibly handsome, the rough and rugged type. Stubble grew on his square jaw, and the ceiling light shined upon luminescent blue eyes. He was gorgeous! Damn! Why was he here? He could be a model! I blushed at the thought and looked away, watching the numbers count up to the sixth floor, stopping at nearly every floor to let others off or on.

I jumped off at the sixth and made for my cubicle, tossing Sarah (the b***h my ex went for) a smile. She didn't need to know I was a wreck. I didn't even notice the man from the elevator following me, until I'd sat down at my computer and glanced over at the cubicle next to mine. He sat down. He worked here? Why had I never noticed him before? He must be new; nobody had worked at that desk for almost two months, so maybe he was a temp. I hoped not; he was so pretty to look at.

Sarah leaned over the back of her cubicle to look down the front of mine. "Hey, Phoebe" she whispered, thinking she could talk to me like we were still friends, "have you seen the new guy? I heard he was transferred here from Australia. Isn't he absolutely incredible?"

I nodded and looked back to her, an innocent smile plastered on my angry face. "Would Darren approve of your ogling?" I asked, the irritation evident in my voice rather than my face. ******** her! She took the hint and sat back down. I could hear her clicking away on her keyboard. I glanced over at the new guy from the corner of my eyes, just in time to see him turn his head slightly to glance over at me. I could feel the heat rise to my cheeks at being caught peeking, and then I could see the smile spread over his lips. I clicked away at my keyboard, my cheeks still flushed.

Three hours later, at lunch time, I made my way to the break room to eat my salad. He was there. Grabbing a cup of coffee and leaning against the counter, talking to Sarah. Who did she think she was? Stealing my boyfriend, and then going after the new guy?! I could feel the scream welling up in my throat, but I forced it down as I sat at the table and began to eat. They both walked past me, him standing to the side of the door to let her pass first. I didn't even notice that he looked at me before he left, so engrossed in my anger and hatred for Sarah and Darren.

As I finished my salad, I flung my things into my purse, not caring what they hit and went to leave. I walked right into someone. "Oh, I'm so sorry," I said, glancing up into those same luminescent blue eyes. "Oh, I'm so sorry." The words kind of slurred out of my mouth, so enraptured by his looks. How could I drool so much over some guy?

"You said that already," he commented, a small smile of amusement spreading across his full lips.

"Sorry," I said again and blushed, tucking a strand of long, curly hair behind my ear.

"Do you often repeat yourself?" he said, no apparent sign of an accent.

"Yes, well no, I mean I did there because...um...nevermind," I said and looked down, side stepping past him. As I sat down at my desk again, and placed my purse by my feet, I could hear footsteps approaching. Probably his. Yup. He sat down at his own cubicle, with a new, fresh cup of coffee and began clicking away on his own keyboard. I couldn't even look at him now. I'd completely embarrassed myself by not paying attention where I was going, apologizing too much, and running away. He'd probably never talk to me again. That was okay, I didn't even know his name.

About half an hour later of absent typing and entering of numbers, I glanced up from my computer to see Darren coming down the hallway with flowers. My heart skipped a beat, forgetting for just a moment that he wasn't mine any-more. I smiled, until I saw his eyes looking for Sarah's, and how they lit up when he found them. They were happy together. Good for them. ********. I clicked harder on my keyboard so I wouldn't have to hear the gross endearing words of love between the two. I guess I was too loud because I could feel eyes looking at me from the side of my head. The new guy. I glanced over at him and rolled my eyes. If he was going to be judgemental, he wasn't worth my time. I clicked away again when I felt a presence over my shoulder. It was him. Again. "Can I help you?" I asked, the irritation radiating off my voice and face.

"I'm sorry to bother you," he said, a small smile spreading across his face as he adjusted the papers in his hand, "but I was wondering if you could look over my numbers here. I'm new and just want to make sure everything is accurate before I send them in."

A genuine smile spread over my lips as I held my hand out for his work. "It's no problem, at all," I said, reading over his numbers. They seemed weird. How were they wrong like this? "Um, this doesn't look right. Your numbers from column A don't add up in Column F here, and we don't track these numbers. What program are you using on your computer?" I was distracted for a moment by the situation at hand and left my desk to examine his, completely forgetting about the love-birds.

I sat in his chair and began rummaging through the files on his computer as he hovered behind me, watching either me or the computer with interest. I couldn't tell. I didn't care, these numbers just had to be right. "Ah ha! There it is! These are the numbers you want to use," I said and looked up at him with a smile on my face. only to realize that he was indeed watching me. I coughed and looked down, standing up and placing the papers down on his desk. "Well, if you need anything else, feel free to ask me." I walked back to my chair and sat down, only to realize he was leaning against my cubicle wall.

"I'm Henry," he said and extended a hand towards me, a welcoming smile upon his face.

I looked down at it for a moment, and then back up to his expectant face. I reached my hand out to him and shook gently, "I'm Phoebe." He smiled and sat back down at his computer to continue typing. There! I knew his name. Oh no! Now he was probably going to go around the office telling people about Phoebe the Klutz, or Phoebe the Insecure. Today was definitely not a good day.

The hours ticked by slowly for me, and I found myself staring a hole into my little wall of Hell, imagining Sarah burning on the other side. Or drowning. I shook my head when I realized just how dark my thoughts were getting and glanced up at the clock one more time: ten more minutes! Yes! I could go home, open a bottle of wine, and curl up next to the fireplace with The Princess Bride on my television. Five more minutes! I began to save my work on the computer as I gathered my things, when a tampon suddenly rolled out of my purse. Oh god, get it back! I reached out for it, my hand rubbing against someone else's. Who was trying to pick up my stuff? Glancing up, I saw Henry pulling the wrapped product from the ground and holding it out to me. I blushed. Oh god, this was so embarrassing!

"You don't need to be embarrassed," he said and smiled, waving the tampon in front of me.

I reached out my hand to grab it, hesitating as if it were going to bite me, then hastily flung it into my purse. "So, uh...thanks," I said, nodding my head once and turning away.

"Phoebe, wait," he said, and I knew right then I was in trouble; just the way he said my name. I could feel my knees quake a little bit. "I was wondering if you'd like to join me for a drink tonight?"

I had just been asked out on a date. Or did I? Maybe he was gay? I thought about Wesley and Buttercup, waiting to find each other on the DVD at home. Well, they would have to wait, regardless if this man was looking for a gal-pal or a girlfriend. "Sure! Time and place?" I secretly prayed he'd pick somewhere close by, or at least an inexpensive bar.

"How about Findlay's? I think they've got steak on special tonight," he said and winked at me. There it was again, that tingling. "And we'll meet at six? Keep it early so we can get to work tomorrow. I'll see you there, Phoebe." Henry winked at me and walked past me to the hallway, turning the corner just as my knees gave out.

Dear god, he was handsome! I didn't think he really would be, so shy and quiet in the beginning. How many other girls had fallen under this trap of sly and cunning? How many hearts had he broken? Would I just be another one? I began to get worried and suddenly regretted my decision to go on this date. I could just cancel! No, I didn't have his number. And we worked right next to each other! Urgh, what to do? I decided I would call my mother when I got home.

As I walked in to my two bedroom apartment, the phone began to ring. I struggled to fling my heels off as I jumped down the hallway to my phone stand. "Hello?" I asked into the phone, struggling out of my jacket and flinging it over the back of the dining room chair. "Oh, hi, Mom! I was just going to call you. How are you?" I was silent as I listened, everything was normal and fine, my cousin Charlene was getting married. I hadn't seen her in years; we lost touch after middle school.

"Now, what did you want to talk to me about?" she asked, the concern obvious in her voice. "Is it about Darren?"

"What? No, no, no!" I said abruptly, physically shaking my head to rid my mind of any thought of him.

"I told you he was bad news, honey, didn't I? I said, 'Phoebe, that boy is bad news', and did you listen? I mean, really, you're worse than your father by not listening to me," she said, taking a breath to continue her rant.

"No, Mom, shut up a second and listen to me," I said, a chuckle following my demand. I could hear laughter from the other side as well. "There's a new guy at work, and he asked me out. Should I go?"

"Well, what did you say when he asked you?"

I was silent for a moment. "I said, yes."

"Then, yes, you should go. You already told him you were going to go. Don't be like Darren and say you're going to do something when you're not, honey. You know how that feels," she said the last part as if she were afraid I would react. I didn't. I just sat in silence for a moment. "Honey, you still there?"

"Yeah, I'm here," I said and sighed. "You're right. Thanks, Mom. Call me at seven with an emergency, just in case I need an out."

"All right, hon, have fun and I love you," she said and hung up.

I loved my mom, I really did, but sometimes she was too brutally honest for me to handle. Although she was right, I had a knotted feeling in my stomach: a mixture of anxiety and excitement. With reluctance, I went about preparing myself for a date. Jeans and a nice blouse would do; Findlay's was just a bar with a few tables for dining formalities, and therefore had no real dress code.

Popular Member

7,750 Points
  • Popular Thread 100
  • Overstocked 200
  • Tipsy 100
You should always edit before asking someone to proofread things. Not only is it polite, but it's something taught in first grade.

Questionable Sex Symbol

9,325 Points
  • Signature Look 250
  • Popular Thread 100
  • Millionaire 200
I know that. It's out for the idea, not the grammar, punctuation, etc. And mostly so I have somewhere to come back to.

Devoted Bookworm

16,250 Points
  • Cats vs Dogs 100
  • Autobiographer 200
  • Beta Forum Regular 0
If you move around from place to place a lot, that's not a bad plan, but Google will let you set up ... I think it's Drive now where you can upload documents and keep them in the cloud.

I like emailing myself drafts of what I'm working on, especially when I've misplaced my external HD (happens too often). It's a good backup system.

Drafting here is ... well, it means that much of the critique you're going to get is going to be on stuff you could fix yourself if you finished your draft and then polished. And that's not very useful. I mean, if posting here is enough to encourage you to keep going, don't let that stop you, but finish the draft before you try to implement any suggestions or changes you get in here, or you'll just end up in an editing loop. And those aren't very useful at all.

Having drafted stuff here (in 2003) and pasted it into a document to edit ... it's a serious pain. And really tedious to fix all the formatting. Easier to just do it on something that isn't going to require that. It'll save you a headache.
Phoebe Majere
I know that. It's out for the idea, not the grammar, punctuation, etc. And mostly so I have somewhere to come back to.

Grammar, punctuation, etc, are the first things to fix before asking for editing. This is because it's easier to actually understand and be immersed in the story. Grammar errors are very distracting and punctuation can drastically effect the meaning of sentences. In order to understand you clearly, you need to have written the story clearly.

It's the same as trying to watch a poorly edited and poorly acted show. When the problems are grating and distracting, viewers won't want to watch and have a hard time noticing subtle dialog and emotional cues.

Wheezing Informer

6,000 Points
  • Flatterer 200
  • Team Edward 100
I_Write_Ivre
You should always edit before asking someone to proofread things. Not only is it polite, but it's something taught in first grade.

>Will edit for gold or real cash.

I SEE WHAT YOU'RE DOING
I SEE IT

Devoted Bookworm

16,250 Points
  • Cats vs Dogs 100
  • Autobiographer 200
  • Beta Forum Regular 0
plasterbrain
I_Write_Ivre

I SEE WHAT YOU'RE DOING
I SEE IT

I don't edit for gold or cash, but I'd agree with that point. Especially if you're capable of fixing the grammar errors. That way your proofreader doesn't waste their time trying to correct something that you can fix on your own.

I'd actually argue for polishing what you write as best you can before pulling in outside sources for comments and critiques on the writing itself. Why ask for other people to give their input until you've done as much as you can on your own? Less repeat work that way.

Popular Member

7,750 Points
  • Popular Thread 100
  • Overstocked 200
  • Tipsy 100
terradi
plasterbrain
I_Write_Ivre

I SEE WHAT YOU'RE DOING
I SEE IT

I don't edit for gold or cash, but I'd agree with that point. Especially if you're capable of fixing the grammar errors. That way your proofreader doesn't waste their time trying to correct something that you can fix on your own.

I'd actually argue for polishing what you write as best you can before pulling in outside sources for comments and critiques on the writing itself. Why ask for other people to give their input until you've done as much as you can on your own? Less repeat work that way.

I only edit for people who have bothered to clean their work up first. I'm not going to help on a price that the author put as little work into and showed me no respect as a reader. What incentive do I have to help improve a piece the author shows me they have no intention of improving and shows less respect than a fellow first grader? Why should
I be interested in a work you didn't even feel should be enjoyable to read?

I know the youngest you can be on this site is 13, which means you probably aren't near college or publishing house, where this gets your work thrown in the trash, but at 13, you're almost at high school and expected to pre-edit out of habit before peer review.

Wild Comrade

I only read a little bit of it, but it was interesting. What's the genre?
plasterbrain
I_Write_Ivre

I SEE WHAT YOU'RE DOING
I SEE IT

Just in case you're new to this forum, the only time we do that is if the person offers to pay for it. The writing forums generally gives feedback and advice for free. Even if Ivre was suggesting that, the OP could simply ask another Gaian who frequents these forums instead of paying her. As long as people seem like they are honestly just trying to improve their work and ask politely, we would probably do it for free just to help them out. If the OP wanted someone that'd be more obligated to do a better job, stick with them for the long run, or even put them as more of a priority over their own personal stuff, then she could visit the shop forum to hire an editor for gold.

If you really were just joking and know all this already, feel free to ignore.

At OP: I don't mean to lecture you or anything, but since you seem new to this forum I suggest you take a look at the rules and guidelines. They tell you that edited work is pretty much expected on this forum. If you wanted feedback on just the idea, it'd be better to just post the idea itself rather than a whole writing snippet of the story (feedback on writing snippets, scenes, chapters, etc. are better suited for the subforums).

With that said, you're idea is just that - an idea. A work in progress, as you put it. Ideas are everywhere. It's the details, the development, and the actual writing that makes them stand out.

Even then, different people have different tastes. Some will prefer romances, others will hate them. Some would prefer robots, others would hate them. Some will love your ideas, some will hate it. Different genres cater to different audiences and chances are that your idea with have it's own set of fans and haters. In the end, what we prefer is inconsequential. You're the writer; write the story you want.

Now if you really want feedback on how the idea is executed - what was generally done poorly, what could be done better, what parts were confusing, whether it had some level of interest or had nothing going on, what could be cut - or if you need help developing your idea, then this is the place you want to be. But I agree with Ivre - without editing it to the best of your ability, we're going to have a hard time looking past all the surface flaws until you clean it up. (This is a forum full of grammar nazis, after all. What do you expect? )

Or, like I said, you can just post a summary of the idea and we can help you find any immediate issues and develop it. But my suggestion is to work on it yourself for a bit, and come back when you run into a issue that you really need help solving, if you need advice on something specific, or when you're finally ready for outside feedback for editing purposes.

(A critique forum is not the best place to store work. Try dropbox, Google docs, a USB, your Gaia Journal, a guild, anything else that has some level of privacy control.)

Bashful Genius

3,450 Points
  • Tycoon 200
  • Millionaire 200
  • Market Browser 100
There are a lot of rude people on this forum. If you don't want to read this because of grammatical errors then just don't, but it isn't that big of a deal that she didn't edit it herself. I've taken several writing workshops in college & many people have these kinds of errors. It isn't distracting if you are a conscientious reader who can think about plot details and ask great questions to move the writer forward.

I think it is courageous to post anything you've written in a public forum, edited or not.

Questionable Sex Symbol

9,325 Points
  • Signature Look 250
  • Popular Thread 100
  • Millionaire 200
ponponpon way x2
I only read a little bit of it, but it was interesting. What's the genre?

I was thinking along the lines of romance. It was originally going to be a vampire-esque type story, but I lost interest in that.

Questionable Sex Symbol

9,325 Points
  • Signature Look 250
  • Popular Thread 100
  • Millionaire 200
Kairi Nightingale
plasterbrain
I_Write_Ivre

I SEE WHAT YOU'RE DOING
I SEE IT

Just in case you're new to this forum, the only time we do that is if the person offers to pay for it. The writing forums generally gives feedback and advice for free. Even if Ivre was suggesting that, the OP could simply ask another Gaian who frequents these forums instead of paying her. As long as people seem like they are honestly just trying to improve their work and ask politely, we would probably do it for free just to help them out. If the OP wanted someone that'd be more obligated to do a better job, stick with them for the long run, or even put them as more of a priority over their own personal stuff, then she could visit the shop forum to hire an editor for gold.

If you really were just joking and know all this already, feel free to ignore.

At OP: I don't mean to lecture you or anything, but since you seem new to this forum I suggest you take a look at the rules and guidelines. They tell you that edited work is pretty much expected on this forum. If you wanted feedback on just the idea, it'd be better to just post the idea itself rather than a whole writing snippet of the story (feedback on writing snippets, scenes, chapters, etc. are better suited for the subforums).

With that said, you're idea is just that - an idea. A work in progress, as you put it. Ideas are everywhere. It's the details, the development, and the actual writing that makes them stand out.

Even then, different people have different tastes. Some will prefer romances, others will hate them. Some would prefer robots, others would hate them. Some will love your ideas, some will hate it. Different genres cater to different audiences and chances are that your idea with have it's own set of fans and haters. In the end, what we prefer is inconsequential. You're the writer; write the story you want.

Now if you really want feedback on how the idea is executed - what was generally done poorly, what could be done better, what parts were confusing, whether it had some level of interest or had nothing going on, what could be cut - or if you need help developing your idea, then this is the place you want to be. But I agree with Ivre - without editing it to the best of your ability, we're going to have a hard time looking past all the surface flaws until you clean it up. (This is a forum full of grammar nazis, after all. What do you expect? )

Or, like I said, you can just post a summary of the idea and we can help you find any immediate issues and develop it. But my suggestion is to work on it yourself for a bit, and come back when you run into a issue that you really need help solving, if you need advice on something specific, or when you're finally ready for outside feedback for editing purposes.

(A critique forum is not the best place to store work. Try dropbox, Google docs, a USB, your Gaia Journal, a guild, anything else that has some level of privacy control.)

Thank you! smile I was unaware of the grammar nazis (although I should have been). I have found another place to post my stuff for further writing, and I'll make sure to read the rules and guidelines per thread before I post. Thank you for being one of the only people to give helpful advice for this.

Questionable Sex Symbol

9,325 Points
  • Signature Look 250
  • Popular Thread 100
  • Millionaire 200
wingedzion-trish
There are a lot of rude people on this forum. If you don't want to read this because of grammatical errors then just don't, but it isn't that big of a deal that she didn't edit it herself. I've taken several writing workshops in college & many people have these kinds of errors. It isn't distracting if you are a conscientious reader who can think about plot details and ask great questions to move the writer forward.

I think it is courageous to post anything you've written in a public forum, edited or not.

Thank you! smile I appreciate someone standing up for me and actually seeing what I was trying to accomplish. You and Kairi Nightingale are the only nice people to have posted on this.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff