Welcome to Gaia! ::

Spooky Girl

18,525 Points
  • Scary Sampling 50
  • Demonic Associate 100
  • Haunting Echo 75
yum_tea If the girl is so dead-set on remaining ignorant, let her. Let her wallow in her mental stagnation and let her be crippled by it. Cast not pearls before swine.

ApocalypticSaint
*Side Note* Paganism was the religion that focused around many gods and believed in harmony with nature. It was the religion that the Christians tried to wipe out when they migrated the Europe; however, Pagan undertones such as Santa and the Easter Bunny and carving pumpkins on Halloween still remain today.

yum_tea You know, you're just a little bit wrong about paganism. It's not one monolithic religion, for one thing--rather, paganism is a blanket term for many different religions of many different ancient cultures. For another thing, not all of them lived in harmony with nature; you'd be hard-pressed indeed to say that about the religion of the ancient Romans, since it never kept them from acting upon their love of paved roads and aqueducts, and there's not much connection to nature to be found in the Imperial cult. Also, not all pre-Abrahamic religions featured many gods; some ancient religions featured only one or two gods as opposed to multitudes. For example Zoroastrianism, the religion of ancient Persia, featured only one god, Ahura Mazda, and an opposing force known as Angra Mainyu. During the reign of Akhenaten the state religion of ancient Egypt was pared down to the worship of only one god, Aten, though after Akhenaten's passing it went back to its normal large pantheon.

However, you are right in your assertion that many Christian holidays are permeated with the trappings of older, pagan holidays.
Reiaal
Jason0690
I lived in a neighborhood when I was little that gave out little pamphlets on how Halloween was a "Satanic" holiday, on Halloween.

Even as a little kid I looked at the pamphlet and went " Dafaq? No it's not."

Granted, my family actually explained what Halloween was originally about from a very young age. We did it while carving our pumpkins.
Dad would tell us how it was once about the great harvest, and how the Fae were particularly active around this time, so in order to prevent being duped by the Fae, you disguised yourself in a costume.
Seeing as it was a time of plenty, some people would go door-to-door and do tricks(Or sing songs) for treats.

Or something like that. Dad really stopped giving a s**t around 25 years ago. At least in terms of explaining it.

He still lights a candle on Halloween though. I know there's something about that, but I don't remember what he told me.

There is also a wiccan holiday on Halloween I think
Christmas and Easter are pagan holidays as well. Christians do not have one single original holiday
there will always be people like that and i'm genuinely sorry that you have to deal with such morons.

i don't respect any religion, i think they're all s**t but i keep that to myself.
It makes sense why most religions strive to make ignorance of their members since religion is often used as power and oppression.

I'm atheist but I find religion interesting from a sociology perspective.

Salty Fatcat

BlondeJack
It makes sense why most religions strive to make ignorance of their members since religion is often used as power and oppression.

I'm atheist but I find religion interesting from a sociology perspective.

Thats how I feel about religion exactly.

Liberal Receiver

tokkis
wow i don't know where you guys are getting all these wacko christian stories from, most of the christians i know are pretty chill.

but i'm going to assume most of you live in the bible belt or sth

though i should note i live in a really religious part of canada and i still haven't seen s**t like this

'Murrika.
Because if you aren't a god-fearing being, you're evil.

But no, seriously, the idiot Christians that handed out pamphlets on Halloween about it being a satanic holiday were from back when I lived in a small town in Upstate NY.

My dad still literally cannot go to that town without meeting someone what "knew" him, kind of small town.

It's also really a problem with certain sects of Christianity. Most of my extended family is Protestant, and they're all religious crazy. The people that handed out the pamphlets I think were Baptists, and they were either obviously crazy or stupid - and in my dad's experience with baptists has not be too pleasant I'm told.

And the LDS Christians are just ******** terrifying, going by the messages they have on the board outside their church.

The local Methodists though were pretty much always awesome. Church service was boring as hell(I was baptized Methodist originally.), but the actual people were pretty cool. Of the two Christians I know is Methodist, and he's just awesome to be around.

The other is Unitarian, who's also pretty awesome. But I haven't met that met Unitarians to say they're all ace.
i think christians pray to god to benefeit themselves. and there weird.

10,275 Points
  • Happy Birthday! 100
  • Member 100
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
I have a lot of friends who are Christian who are pretty well educated and treat me like everyone else. But, I've run into quite a lot who were incredibly ignorant as well. Unfortunately, it feels like the majority are ignorant. When I was in high school, there was a Christian youth group that would make prayer circles just outside our classes, and we had to walk through them. They would say things like you must join us. You're not a proper Christian if you don't. When I said I wasn't Christian, they seemed very confused, and still said you should join us then.

Another time, in high school I was at lunch, and those same people came at me. When I told them I was Jewish, they immediately said I was going to hell. Occasionally, some of them would say things like I've never met a Jew before. So, you guys don't believe in the baby Jesus, right?

Another time, I was cornered in my dorm room in college. This time they asked a bunch of questions. They couldn't get over the idea that someone believed in something different. For some reason, they also thought we 'believed' in Jesus. Asked me what I did for Christmas, and what all the decorations I had up were for. (It was close to Hanukkah.) When I told them things like we don't celebrate Christmas they looked at me like deer in the headlights. Every question they asked was Christian focused. Nothing was just direct.

Recently had a friend who asked me to join her bible study group. Saying it'd be great to get the Jewish viewpoint of things. I'm all for educating people, but...we don't have the same 'bible' or interpret it the same. We have many other writings, commentaries, laws, etc. Sorry, this is so long...

Feline Collector

13,625 Points
  • Cat Fancier 100
  • OTP 200
  • Waffles! 25
Reiaal

When I was in college, we got a lot of bible thumpers and types like the girl in your art class hanging around campus passing around literature and basically proselytizing to everyone that walked anywhere near them. I was nice enough to wish them good luck and talk to them now and then. When they tried to pull that "believe this or you're going to hell" thing on me, I looked them straight in the eye and said "Didn't Jesus love EVERYONE?! If I remember correctly, he did love everyone no matter who they were or what they believed. I suggest you re-read your bible and forget this denominational crap you're spewing. Have a nice day!" biggrin

I hate when people proselytize to others and try to pull that "You're going to hell if you don't believe this or that" stuff. Jesus loved EVERYONE. All religions, be it Christianity or paganism or Judaism or Buddhism, all have the universal believe in loving others and treating others as you'd want to be treated. All of this pushing and Bible-thumping behavior was invented later on by a bunch of guys that wanted their beliefs forced on everyone by members of their denominational congregations. Plain and simple.

Adorable Nymph

9,025 Points
  • Demonic Associate 100
  • Tax Evader 100
  • Grunny Grabber 50
Sweet Peppermint Tea
yum_tea If the girl is so dead-set on remaining ignorant, let her. Let her wallow in her mental stagnation and let her be crippled by it. Cast not pearls before swine.

ApocalypticSaint
*Side Note* Paganism was the religion that focused around many gods and believed in harmony with nature. It was the religion that the Christians tried to wipe out when they migrated the Europe; however, Pagan undertones such as Santa and the Easter Bunny and carving pumpkins on Halloween still remain today.

yum_tea You know, you're just a little bit wrong about paganism. It's not one monolithic religion, for one thing--rather, paganism is a blanket term for many different religions of many different ancient cultures. For another thing, not all of them lived in harmony with nature; you'd be hard-pressed indeed to say that about the religion of the ancient Romans, since it never kept them from acting upon their love of paved roads and aqueducts, and there's not much connection to nature to be found in the Imperial cult. Also, not all pre-Abrahamic religions featured many gods; some ancient religions featured only one or two gods as opposed to multitudes. For example Zoroastrianism, the religion of ancient Persia, featured only one god, Ahura Mazda, and an opposing force known as Angra Mainyu. During the reign of Akhenaten the state religion of ancient Egypt was pared down to the worship of only one god, Aten, though after Akhenaten's passing it went back to its normal large pantheon.

However, you are right in your assertion that many Christian holidays are permeated with the trappings of older, pagan holidays.

Thank you for correcting me. My mother taught me the basics of the more Wiccan side of Paganism, so that's really what I know more about. Religion itself baffles me, so I tend to focus more on the history and beginnings on certain religions, but there's always room to learn new things. 3nodding

Krule Keke's Significant Otter

Apocalyptic Rogue

41,915 Points
  • Hellraiser 500
  • Abomination 100
  • Demonic Associate 100
ApocalypticSaint
Sweet Peppermint Tea

ApocalypticSaint

Thank you for correcting me. My mother taught me the basics of the more Wiccan side of Paganism, so that's really what I know more about. Religion itself baffles me, so I tend to focus more on the history and beginnings on certain religions, but there's always room to learn new things. 3nodding

What do you know about Wicca?

Adorable Nymph

9,025 Points
  • Demonic Associate 100
  • Tax Evader 100
  • Grunny Grabber 50
Calelith
ApocalypticSaint
Sweet Peppermint Tea

ApocalypticSaint

Not that much, in truth. I have trouble wrapping my head around religion. Do you know a lot about it? Because I'd be interested to learn if you do.

Krule Keke's Significant Otter

Apocalyptic Rogue

41,915 Points
  • Hellraiser 500
  • Abomination 100
  • Demonic Associate 100
ApocalypticSaint
Calelith
ApocalypticSaint
Sweet Peppermint Tea

ApocalypticSaint

Not that much, in truth. I have trouble wrapping my head around religion. Do you know a lot about it? Because I'd be interested to learn if you do.

Yeah I do know a lot about it.

Duremian Demigod

20,375 Points
  • Foolhardy Benefactor 500
  • Hellraiser 500
  • Team Moira 200
ApocalypticSaint
Calelith
ApocalypticSaint
Sweet Peppermint Tea

ApocalypticSaint

You're better off checking out the Amber and Jet mailing list.

It's this massive mailing list for people who are Wiccans in the BTW sense, seekers and even just interested people. It's a nice wealth of knowledge, ya know?
Sometimes it's best to go to the source than to other people with second hand information?

Also you can check out Triumph of the Moon by Dr. Ronald Hutton, I think it's in the Kindle store for $9. Which is an academic history on Wicca.

Adorable Nymph

9,025 Points
  • Demonic Associate 100
  • Tax Evader 100
  • Grunny Grabber 50
queenofsleepingforest

You're better off checking out the Amber and Jet mailing list.

It's this massive mailing list for people who are Wiccans in the BTW sense, seekers and even just interested people. It's a nice wealth of knowledge, ya know?
Sometimes it's best to go to the source than to other people with second hand information?

Also you can check out Triumph of the Moon by Dr. Ronald Hutton, I think it's in the Kindle store for $9. Which is an academic history on Wicca.

Thank you, I love it when people are helpful and even if I'm not going to put it into practice, it's good to know what's what.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff