Welcome to Gaia! ::

How often do you get to write creative stuff at your school?

Do you ever like writing essays, or are they just a pain?
What's the most difficult thing about writing essays? What's the best?

Beloved Lunatic

I'm taking a creative writing class... so I get to write creative stuff all the time.
Essays aren't really a pain, they are just time consuming. I don't mind them. The most difficult part of essay writing for me is to work up the motivation to actually sit down and write the essay. Once going it's all easy.

Quotable Explorer

2,400 Points
  • First step to fame 200
  • Forum Dabbler 200
  • Forum Sophomore 300
As an English major at university, I'm writing essays all the time. If I like the text that I'm writing about, I actually enjoy writing the essays.

When I took a creative writing class, I actually had great difficulty writing on demand. I produced something really amazing and something really terrible because I found it so difficult to turn on the creativity. I actually find it easier to write an essay to a deadline than something creative.

Quotable Streaker

The advanced and honors students at my school literally never do any creative writing. The only writing we ever do focuses literary analysis which, while incredibly useful for improving my own skills in a way (vicariously through taking a really close look at other, more professional works), is still rather plain to me. We have no creative writing classes either, since it's a small school in which you're lucky if most of the students even attend half the time, let alone take a writing elective of any sort.
Essays are fun if you think of them as analogous to creating fiction. Bonus points if you're writing a topic you actually care about.

I took a creative writing class in high school, but there are more forms of writing (obviously) such as creative nonfiction that I didn't ever get a chance to learn until college. (Creative nonfiction gets the best of both worlds. I doubt you'd probably never would have thought of memoirs as a type of creative writing.)

Diamond Bear

I double major in art history and creative writing so I take plenty of creative writing classes.

I prefer writing essays over group projects.
I mean school, not universities or colleges.

8,700 Points
  • The Perfect Setup 150
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
  • Conversationalist 100
I Am Smartie

Back in my day, we were too busy getting beaten with rods to do any creative writing in school. Between that and farm life, eh.

Blessed Genius

10,475 Points
  • Team Edward 100
  • Megathread 100
  • Timid 100
In high school, I get to write in creative writing club and any English-related course. Sometimes I get chances to do a bit of creative writing in different courses, like history. We'd have to 'write in role' for a specific character from a certain century/historical event for a test. That's basically it. T.T

Klaark

Back in my day, we were too busy getting beaten with rods to do any creative writing in school.

Ahhh yes, getting the crap beaten out of you by your teachers. I can relate. *Shudders*
I graduated, however I only got the opportunity to write a creative piece for school once a year.

I didn't mind essays. It would depend on what they were about. I loved doing the research but I found the actual writing process to be painful. On the other hand, my favorite essays that I wrote were under exam conditions with research done prior to the day. History essays were good.

7,500 Points
  • Forum Explorer 100
  • Treasure Hunter 100
  • Peoplewatcher 100
I'd gone to an alternative school at one point and we didn't even have creative writing then!

(Of course, to put some of that jabber of those beatings in school into perspective, there was a lot of handsiness and abuse of authority in my school. It wasn't exactly all laughs when a kid was forced into a chair or screamed at incessantly for something innocent.)

Quotable Explorer

2,400 Points
  • First step to fame 200
  • Forum Dabbler 200
  • Forum Sophomore 300
I Am Smartie

I'm assuming you mean high school by this.

The closest to creative writing I got to do in high school was joining a terribly unorganized creative writing club.

High school is not designed for fostering creativity, in my experience. It's all about giving you information whether you want it or not. I'd be surprised to hear of a high school with a class fully devoted to creative writing because even large schools don't really have the students to have several creative options.

Friendly Shapeshifter

6,250 Points
  • Conversationalist 100
  • Team Jacob 100
  • Forum Regular 100
I Am Smartie

When I was in school (middle and high school) I got to write all the time because I made the time. Study hall in high school and any time between notes. Any down time was writing time when I didn't have other things.

I loved writing essays. I was that kid who would ask what the maximum page count could be.

The most difficult is picking a topic and sticking to boundaries when you're given something too specific to write about.

The best thing, for me, was getting to research something and learn something new. Getting to write and show that I guess.

In college it was harder for me to find the time to write because I couldn't in class and I had more homework that took up more time. If I had a test day I'd go into one of the main areas and read or write out there while I could or I'd sit and talk to people on the computer. It all varies.

Now I don't have classes (I'm paying debt to go back and get a degree for work) but I do have work and I'll get ideas and write them on scrap pieces of paper when I'm at work. Or I'll shoot myself an e-mail from work so I can look at that when I get home. While at home I'm usually thinking about writing, taking notes, researching, talking with people (about many things not just writing) and reading while listening to music or watching something on T.V. I'm pretty notorious for being able to watch a movie on the T.V. without ever looking at the screen.

Fashionable Kitten

> Not often enough.

> Depends on the topic. I generally love writing when the topic is interesting.

> When the topic isn't interesting, it's hard to stay focused. The best thing is being able to complete the essay and knowing you've done a good job.
I only ever took one writing intensive in uni, and that mostly involved essays. I always thought about taking the creative writing course for fun, but it wasn't a priority and I was working too many hours to justify needless elective courses.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff