Welcome to Gaia! ::

Diamond Bear

frankly i'd be happier if romance wasn't so majorly important in recent YA novels, esp since there's so much more to being a young adult/teen than just hormones.
romance isn't inherently bad in novels, it just needs to be well written and believable
and not used as an excuse for lack of plot.

Fashionable Consumer

7,300 Points
  • Wall Street 200
  • Somebody Likes You 100
  • Full closet 200
Well, your general audience is going to be teenagers ages 13-17. Their sexuality is developing and sex is going to be one of the most predominant things on their mind. Not necessarily explicit sex, but their hormones are going crazy and romance will seem like the most important thing ever. Typically to the teenage girl, and the guys just want to know what a boob feels like. Young adult novel publishing companies know this and will produce products pertaining to that aspect of the teenage mind.

Heart Consumer

Nope, romance NOT required. I've read a good share of YA novels without romance. Now while it may be an ELEMENT of plot use in some books, it may not be the main focus. Which, thank god, I've had enough of reading.
Pander to audience.

Timid Lunatic

12,125 Points
  • Timid 100
  • Hotblooded Hero 50
  • Cats vs Dogs 100
I'd like to add that I know a lot of adults who read YA novels, so while teenagers will be your target audience, you will likely have a periphery audience as well. This has little to do with the topic, but I thought I'd throw it out there. XD

Personally, if I want romance, I read a romance novel, but poorly shilled-in romance in my adventure/fantasy/otherwise-plot-focused stories ruins the experience for me.
Love triangles are especially horrible and I think the next time I come upon one, I will chuck the book at the wall.
As mentioned before, love triangles can be done well, but the fact that modern literature is so saturated in bad love triangles would be enough to make me hold off on using one for a few years. Enough about love triangles though.
I think if the story is written well and has an interesting enough plot, even your romance-loving readers won't miss it.

7,500 Points
  • Forum Explorer 100
  • Treasure Hunter 100
  • Peoplewatcher 100
I have never written a successful romance and I had never intended to. I don't believe stories need to revolve around romance, especially just because they're YA. I did, however (and I'll admit this), write a totally failed romance subplot for a novel of mine (totally one-sided, awkward, and definitely set up to fail) and I think it turned out better than had the two characters ended up together.

Otherwise, you might find a possibility for romance to stir up in some of your work, but if you don't want to take that road, who says that's wrong? I say "Eat s**t" to those who do.

So, that also depends on your skill and your genre(s). Adventure? No time for romance. Action? It can be a mood-killer. Murder mystery? More like cliché motive.

[disclaimer: I'm not hating on romance per se, I'm just saying that if you don't want to fit that in/work with it, don't stress it. You're the writer; you're the God here.]

Toothsome Seeker

Most YA novels are overflowing with romance. That's simply because a lot of teenagers are experiencing their first relationships and heartbreaks, and reading books about teens experiencing the same things draws them in. There are several great YA novels out there without romance in them though.

As for your own story, you could always add in "fanservice" for your readers without actually building a relationship. That only works well in certain types of stories though, so be careful. Best of luck! ^^

Wild Comrade

Most YA novels have romance, but I've read one that subverted it/was good without it. As for if it helps books sell? It seems like it.

Adorable Nymph

9,025 Points
  • Demonic Associate 100
  • Tax Evader 100
  • Grunny Grabber 50
I think that romance is a popular tone in most YA novels because most of us(I'm 16) have had it drilled into our heads that we need to find a romantic partner early on in life. Also, the love-triangles, the sexual frustrations, and general angst appeal to the more dramatic of teenagers. I am not among one of these and would find it refreshing to read a good YA novel that wasn't gushing with long, drawn out scenes where the two main characters do nothing but stare into each other's eyes. So, no. Romance is not necessary for a good YA novel and more power to you if you choose to write one without it.
It's definitely not necessary.
It is true that romance is a popular interest among the audience, but don't let that hinder you. You are the writer who wants to do the work, so you do what you feel is right for your vision. Keep it sincere; that's what's most important in a successful piece of work.

Dangerous Lunatic

9,350 Points
  • Partygoer 500
  • Object of Affection 150
  • Alchemy Level 2 100
Romance isn't necessary. Write however you want to. It's honestly a relief to read young adult work without romance.

Friendly Shapeshifter

6,250 Points
  • Conversationalist 100
  • Team Jacob 100
  • Forum Regular 100
ninjastriker993
I kind of want to write a novel, perhaps something for teens or young adults, but I'm not sure if I need to include romance. It seems to me that most young adult books have romance or love triangles, but I never read romance and I've never written it. Would it be better if a novel has romance instead of none? Do you think novels sell better if there's romance?

No, the novel does not have to have romance in it. Does it help? Yes. Most stories these days have at least some romantic aspect even if it's that unrequited love. A lot of authors use love and romance as some base or mix in because it adds more conflict to the story. But you can look at books like Ryan Mecum's Zombie Haiku. Yes there's a little romance mentioned, but it follows the transformation into a zombie and memories from before becoming a zombie and running from zombies. He's got others that are along the same lines.

The book Forgive Me, Leonard Peacock is a good example of books using romance as a base and conflict because it's not ALL about the romance. Twilight, Mortal Instruments... They have a lot of romance.

A big example of romance being a minor thing was Harry Potter. The whole series was based around survival and finding oneself. Yes later on there was some romance but that's because as we grow over the years we expand in a sense and end up learning about our emotions/feelings.

What tends to make a teen or young adult book in that category is that the main character(s) is that the character is a teenager.

Friendly Phantom

7,625 Points
  • Signature Look 250
  • Dressed Up 200
  • Member 100
Like everyone else has been saying, romance isn't strictly necessary, but I think small shades of that stuff can bring out character development. There's also that love is a very positive concept that can add to a story sometimes. But, again, as everyone else has been saying, don't force it in just to have it.

Dapper Genius

6,300 Points
  • Treasure Hunter 100
  • Trader 100
  • Hygienic 200
they dont' have to, but people like those a lot.

Bashful Marshmallow

Not necessarily. If you want to write one or have an idea of one without any romance, then you should go ahead with it.
I actually haven't read many books that don't have romance in it, so in that way, you'd be writing something that's different. I love different! smile
I'm sure if it's written well with good characters, plot, etc. those who prefer romance novels too could find your book interesting. ^.^

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff