Welcome to Gaia! ::

Magical Girl

14,200 Points
  • Hero 100
  • Magical Girl 50
  • Protector of Cuteness 150
Hello! I live in a college apartment (so no access to router). When I hook up my ethernet cable to my computer, all of my messengers work and are connected but I cannot use internet browsers. I recently reformatted my computer and was using a wireless adapter, but here the internet is so slow that there's really no point and for a decent connection you need to be plugged into the wall. The wall connection worked fine until I reformatted.

This happened before when I moved to my first college and had to use the ethernet cable. I've done everything from messing around with internet explorer proxy settings and whatnot, but what did work was something I found in a thread. It instructed me to go somewhere and delete a file that was blocking the internet part, I guess? I deleted this setting/file and the ethernet connection worked just fine afterwards. I can't find this thread (probably not on this website) anymore. Does anyone here know possibly what the file was?

(Using windows 7, and sorry if this isn't the right place to ask!)
Meikahna
Hello! I live in a college apartment (so no access to router). When I hook up my ethernet cable to my computer, all of my messengers work and are connected but I cannot use internet browsers. I recently reformatted my computer and was using a wireless adapter, but here the internet is so slow that there's really no point and for a decent connection you need to be plugged into the wall. The wall connection worked fine until I reformatted.

This happened before when I moved to my first college and had to use the ethernet cable. I've done everything from messing around with internet explorer proxy settings and whatnot, but what did work was something I found in a thread. It instructed me to go somewhere and delete a file that was blocking the internet part, I guess? I deleted this setting/file and the ethernet connection worked just fine afterwards. I can't find this thread (probably not on this website) anymore. Does anyone here know possibly what the file was?

I've never heard of deleting files to make an Ethernet connection work, but:

1: Did you reply to said thread? If so, you should try digging through your post history.

2: Does your university network require any services such as Safeconnect etc to work? If you go to your university's IT website, this answer should be relatively easy to answer.

Magical Girl

14,200 Points
  • Hero 100
  • Magical Girl 50
  • Protector of Cuteness 150
BetaTheUnsure
Meikahna

1: Did you reply to said thread? If so, you should try digging through your post history.

2: Does your university network require any services such as Safeconnect etc to work? If you go to your university's IT website, this answer should be relatively easy to answer.

No, I didn't reply. I probably should have! I think that it was more of disabling something.

I got it to work now though! My boyfriend came over and changed one of the things to something like 8.8.8.8.8.8 and now it works. I honestly have no idea what he did.
Meikahna
BetaTheUnsure
Meikahna

No, I didn't reply. I probably should have! I think that it was more of disabling something.

I got it to work now though! My boyfriend came over and changed one of the things to something like 8.8.8.8.8.8 and now it works. I honestly have no idea what he did.

This is only a guess, but he probably changed your DNS server. To put that in layman's terms, a DNS server is where your computer goes to learn where URLs are actually supposed to lead. If it's faulty or your university has attempted to block sites, then URLs won't go where they're supposed to, causing errors.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff