Welcome to Gaia! ::

Big Member

9,800 Points
  • Tipsy 100
  • Mega Tipsy 100
  • Super Tipsy 200
Ever been unsure of someones gender, even face to face? Isn't it embarrassing?

I have a few friends I gamed with a few days ago and their neighbor came in to drop off a sword. Really, a sword. Long story. Anyway, that neighbor stayed and I could not identify the gender of this individual. I don't mean to be judging or mean about this, but I felt this individual had no gender-specific qualities I could focus on to determine a gender and I would put that out there to ask and I would've felt like a hyper c**t a*****e. So I just said hello, and as the conversation went on, I asked if there was a significant other or a roommate next door. Eventually I was given "yes, my husband lives with me." Alright, gender determined. But wait, then my friend chimed in with "so nice that our landlord is accepting of relationships like yours, I love Oregon!" Oh ********, maybe this person is gay. Crap, now I still can't tell. But I finally had my answer when a kinda punk-ish black man stepped in to say hello. This was the neighbors fiance, and he explained they were trying to conceive and we congratulated them and wished them our best. In that part of town, interracial couples are sorta looked down on. So we were supportive of them and happy the landlord did too. I finally had my answer, this was a woman. But I still felt like a mega a*****e. Still, they were super cool, shared some drinks with us, stayed for some SNES.

Does anyone remember Saturday Night Live from the late 80s to 90s? Remember the "It's Just Pat" skits? It was like that.

Anyway, discuss. Had this random thought while taking a dump.

Shadowy Rogue

3,700 Points
  • Battle: Rogue 100
  • Signature Look 250
  • Partygoer 500
I love dressing in masculine outfits and confusing the ******** out of people.

Adored Sweetheart

Had those types of moments be for, although never asked. Since it was a passing moment. Wasn't going to bother.

As for interracial couple, once had a neighbor and they were. The wife even invited me to a interracial couple's party.

._. it was...interesting to put it politely.

Magical Tree

"you make me feel like a natural woman"

all this thread did was to get that song playing in my head. emotion_zombie

Newbie Noob

thewaitingtree

Now you passed that onto me. crying

Jazin Kay
Ever been unsure of someones gender

I...

User Image

Yeah I'm just not even going to touch this. G'night everybody!
thewaitingtree

Wheezing Fatcat

one of my online friends assumed i was a guy for the longest time (he'd never seen my face because i'm SO MYSTERIOUS. lol). but a few of our group were all chatting and he referred to me as a guy in conversation. i wasn't online so it took our mutual friend being like "dude, ____'s a girl" and now he's way nicer to me. ahaha.

i don't usually ask when it's someone else tho.
this reminds me of this image on tumblr
"maybe they've got a v****a.
maybe it's none of your damn business."
something like that.
I had a kid in a French class once who was incredibly gender-neutral without even trying. He was male, identified as male, wasn't trying to be androgynous at all. He just was. A face and voice that could be male or female, thin, small, longish hair, jeans and t-shirts. It was fascinating.

Explorer

idk why it is a big deal but it is. cause if you refer to them, it is important to know the gender?
or maybe their name alone??
I would have tried to determine from the name. or walk who knows...

Sunilu's Prince

Bachelorette

I see a lot of people like that. I think it's cool I can't tell what gender they are.

Bloodthirsty Carnivore

27,550 Points
  • Hunter 50
  • Demonic Associate 100
  • Vicious Spirit 250
I only had this happen to me once, back in the fifth grade. There was this third grader who had a habit of talking s**t to my friends and I, and they dressed in a very boyish manner (oversized t-shirts, long shorts, the boy sketchers that had the lights in the heel) and had a traditional 90s boy haircut, so, being the dumbass I was back then, I told her (cuz it was a girl) something about little boys are best seen and not heard. And she starts crying and I was like, s**t, I'm pretty sure what I said wasn't THAT bad. And her friend comes over and says "She's a GIRL" and yeah. Wow. Super a*****e moment. I apologized profusely, but I still feel guilty about that one. gonk

Kawaii Autobiographer

4,600 Points
  • Autobiographer 200
  • Signature Look 250
  • Happy Birthday! 100
I can handle myself in situations like that. 3nodding
I just address them without any gender specific words. Mind you, I guess they only seem like an important part of conversation if that aspect of that person comes to mind when you're talking to them.

Hygienic Regular

Oftentimes, I am that pigeon person. sad

User Image

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out