Welcome to Gaia! ::

Okay, so I'm one of those people that has a really difficult time understanding lyrics that aren't sung completely and totally clearly; if I can't see your mouth while speaking or singing or whatever, I can't understand you very well. Often times, I'll have to actively look up the lyrics to a song that I like to understand what they're on about. When I listen to a song initially, it is usually going to be for the composition alone. When I look up the lyrics and I love those, it will likely get "favorite song" status. But bad lyrics or lyrics that make me uncomfortable have never made me stop listening to a song. :/

Magnetic Cat

It really depends. Example:
I love Icona Pop's On A Roll, it's a great song when you feel good, but the lyrics, i mean
Quote:
I'm waking up, up on the floor, still looking perfect
really? sweatdrop

But my fav songs are those songs with a true meaning, as Natalia Kills' If I Was God
Quote:
If i was God, what would i change? LOVE! WAR! LIES! MONEY!
or Marina And The Diamonds' Are You Satisfied
Quote:
Are you satisfied, with an average life? do i need to lie to make my way in life?
Some Boneparte songs, but I still like them. They're catchy but the lyrics are just really stupid.

Timid Genius

8,625 Points
  • Timid 100
  • Pie Pusher 50
  • Ultimate Player 200
For the most part, I don't really care to much for the lyric unless the singer is spewing utter crap that can't be ignored. I care more about the tune of the song.
Fresc
TeacupPrince
Some songs I think are quite lazy.

One Direction's songs are obviously all horrid, but girls love them because they're looks and catchy past boy hit knock-offs. Their song " Best Song Ever " is completely lazy as hell.

" And we danced all night to the best song ever.
We knew every line. Now I can't remember
How it goes but I know that I won't forget her
'Cause we danced all night to the best song ever. "

#Cringe

------

Lorde's Royals is just a glorified version of Kreayshawn's Gucci Gucci song - randomly listing junk. Both songs to make the artist seem " Real " on both sides and on Lorde's " deep " despite obvious hipster targeting. Example?
Quote from Royals
" But every song's like gold teeth, grey goose, trippin' in the bathroom
Blood stains, ball gowns, trashin' the hotel room,
We don't care, we're driving Cadillacs in our dreams.
But everybody's like Cristal, Maybach, diamonds on your timepiece.
Jet planes, islands, tigers on a gold leash. "

Quote from Gucci Gucci
" Gucci Gucci, Louis Louis, Fendi Fendi, Prada
Them basic bitches wear that s**t, so I don't even bother
I put that on my partner, I put that on my family
Oakland city represent, address me as your majesty
Yeah you can kiss the ring, but you can never touch the crown
I smoke a million Swisher blunts and I ain't never coming down "

--------

Another is well.... anything by Nicki Minaj. Just google any song of hers lyrically it's a wreck. " Flyer than the guy with the thing on his eye " --- really? I mean I don't expect you to be a lyrical genius but, come on.

A song that screams "I just threw this together" can definitely be a turn off for me too. but I wonder how many songs I listen that instantly make me think "they could've done better" when the artist(s) actually tried their best....hmmm.

Some can make certain phrases work, others can't. Lily Allen doesn't get much respect for her writing for example, but she targets a lot of topics others don't and sings songs from her point of view.

Greedy Kitten

6,800 Points
  • Popular Thread 100
  • Millionaire 200
  • Flatterer 200
Reading what you said was interesting since lyrics don't bother me. Although whenever I hear a song I pay attention to the lyrics and the tune .. I like to listen to them bc its like a story to me lol. I can't really get into songs that repeat a few words every now and then.. they don't really have any meaning and it's not interesting stare
I realized that I answered a portion of the question, leaving out if I've ever cringed at some lyrics...hmmm. That's tough, because a song being interesting to me or not is simple, but have I really Cringed?

OH! I got it!

The Rap artist Ab-Soul can kill my vibe (and has made me feel like ew on several occasions).

For one, the song he's featured on with Chance the Rapper ,called "Smoke Again", is produced by a person named Blended Babies (WTF?). But anyways back to the lyrics. In the middle of his awesome delivery, that had me jamming by the way, he says "How bout you?, no dap, but I'll take a pound or two, no doubt like Gwen Stafanie's group, look let me put my mouth where you potty boo..."

Not all that bad, but hey I wasn't digging the wording and he even paused for a second before he started rapping, so it was like I shared a awkward moment with Ab-Soul through a recording. I already have enough awkward encounters throughout my day. xp

Gekko

a lot of times lyrics ruin the song for me. I listen to music for the beat and rhythm almost 80% of the time. If I start listening to the ridiculous lyrics, I'm done.

Magnetic Cat

TeacupPrince
Some can make certain phrases work, others can't. Lily Allen doesn't get much respect for her writing for example, but she targets a lot of topics others don't and sings songs from her point of view.

Lily Allen lyrics are great tbh (Kabul s**t slays everything), but she became a lot lazier in this Sheezus-era gonk
if the lyrics are relatable, sure

otherwise i just listen to music that sounds good
Pablitox xD
TeacupPrince

Lily Allen lyrics are great tbh (Kabul s**t slays everything), but she became a lot lazier in this Sheezus-era gonk

I don't care for Hard Out Here and HATE Air Balloon. :[

Magnetic Cat

TeacupPrince
Pablitox xD
TeacupPrince

I don't care for Hard Out Here and HATE Air Balloon. :[

Hard Out Here sounds a lot like this (Greg Kurstin produced both songs)

Air Balloon sounds good to me (the lyrics are a mess tho), L8 CMMR it's like the new Not Fair and Our Time it's a great party song. But i hope there are more songs like Everyone's At It, The Fear or Kabul S**t
Buttfaced Princess
Okay, so I'm one of those people that has a really difficult time understanding lyrics that aren't sung completely and totally clearly; if I can't see your mouth while speaking or singing or whatever, I can't understand you very well. Often times, I'll have to actively look up the lyrics to a song that I like to understand what they're on about. When I listen to a song initially, it is usually going to be for the composition alone. When I look up the lyrics and I love those, it will likely get "favorite song" status. But bad lyrics or lyrics that make me uncomfortable have never made me stop listening to a song. :/

That's a cool way to go about it. To think of that approach, I realized I don't look up lyrics very much at all.

Salty Member

I definitely appreciate good lyrics, but when I think to myself "das a good song" it's because of the sound

14,440 Points
  • Unfortunate Abductee 175
  • First Fall 15
  • Peoplewatcher 100
I have gotten those feelings and for the most part depending on the catchy tune. I mean I like Starships by Nikki Minaj (no idea why sweatdrop ) but most often I get mad at the radio for playing drolling love/party forever songs. I don't listen to it a lot.

As for cringe worthy lyrics, freaking Blurred Lines. I hate the whole song even though the beat is catchy to me. One thing that sticks out in my mind as a facepalm sentence is 'tried to domesticate ya, but you're an animal, it's not in your nature.' You don't own dogs or cats or the other varieties of domesticated animals, do you?

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff