Welcome to Gaia! ::

Blessed Hunter

9,100 Points
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
  • Brandisher 100
  • Treasure Hunter 100
Thank you for making this thread. This doesn't just happen on Gaia, girls are like this in real life too. t think a lot of it is jealousy and trying to one-up people. Society paints it wear girls/women that wear makeup are always bad. How many sitcoms, movies, and shows do we know were the lead female is unstylish and the mean girls are fashionable and made-up? She is the one the audience is supposed to identify with. Kids/teen shows are particularly good for it, which means it indoctrinates people early on that if you care about your appearance you're evil. In turn that creates a generation of women that don't put effort into themselves because of negative association.

I know when I was younger I was affected by this and thought the fashionable people were mean, and really I thought I didn't look as good as them, so jealousy. It was a catch-22 because I had acne and thought I was plain, but if I "wasn't allowed to do anything" about it because I'd be a "snob." That was so dumb and luckily I came to my senses and realized that it's just makeup and it's actually pretty fun to wear and try out different looks. Makeup also has a way of pulling together a look, so my outfits tend to be better with make up. You can't fault someone because they feel like putting on some face paint. Evaluate people based on their actions, not how they style themselves. Makeup and character aren't mutually exclusive. These insecure girls need to grow up and deal with their own problems.
it's nice if you can feel confident without make-up but then you shouldn't degrade girls who do wear make-up. if i'm honest some girls do look much more "prettier" with makeup on but that doesnt mean they were "ugly" in the first place.
and yes it is immature when girls do that.

and yes i do wear makeup. i can leave the house without makeup but i feel better even if it's just bb cream and some eye liner.

Friendly Noob

"what does your real face look like"
"only ugly girls wear make up"
"i don't need to wear make up"

- To me, those are very IGNORANT things to say. I'd laugh in the face of any girl who ever said this to me, because obviously they have no perception of the world around them - with all the celebrities, models, etc. wearing makeup.

- Yes, there are girls who wear makeup because they have self esteem issues - however there are those that don't. I'm sure the girls who have mean things to say about other girls who wear makeup are mad either because a: they know how to use makeup and/or b: they look really pretty with makeup on.

In my early years of high school I used to wear makeup every single day. Now, I rarely wear makeup at all. Honestly, to me putting on makeup is a hobby - almost like an art to me. I do it because it's FUN. I like to experiment and see what looks pretty and enhance my "makeup skills" so to say. Heck, in a few years I plan to become a freelance makeup artist.

About the girls who do wear makeup, I think that's fine ya know. It just kills me to see girls who put on too much of one product. i.e: mascara, blush, eyeshadow, etc. xD

About the girls who don't wear makeup, that's fine too. I could care less if a person chooses to wear makeup or not - that's their own life.

However, it urks me when girls say they know how to do makeup when their own makeup looks messed up - I just feel like they're a bit too confident in themselves then. It's sad hearing that girls bash other girls for wearing makeup and honestly, it's pretty childish. I can honestly say it makes me sad to be the same gender as them, lol.
miyuki_pudding
For me, make-up is something I do because it makes me happy. Getting all dolled-up in the morning before school makes me feel like a million bucks. It's a bit like painting, with your face as a canvas.

I feel like the make-up hate is part of this collective bashing I see against traditionally "feminine" things in general, including doing make-up and hair, fashion, high heels, etc.

I remember an image floating around on tumblr of a sort-of factory assembly line, with rows of girls drawn in pink, wearing tank tops and short skirts and doing their make-up, with barcodes on their foreheads. There was one girl, presumably the artist, drawn in gray (or blue, I can't remember) wearing a hoodie and reading a book, with the word "ERROR" on her forehead. It came off as incredibly special snowflake-y to me, like girls think that being girly is a sign of conformity, of someone who follows trends and doesn't think for themselves. It was awful, and grossly wrong (at least, in my opinion) for the majority of people who choose to enjoy "feminine" activities.

You were on Tumblr. That pretty much answers everything about that sort of picture and post. It's a playground for sjw and self importance.

Friendly Friend

I think wearing make-up is perfectly okay, but wearing too much that doesn't look well is just unattractive.

Tipsy Genius

Make-up for me is a huge hobby.
I do wear it semi-regularly, but I find the most joy in just playing around with it and helping other people with their make up.
I go for neutral looks but play around with a LOT of brights, especially when I'm doing fun things like halloween or cosplay.
I've dabbled in SFX make-up (two vampires, a geisha, a pirate, and two zombies) but I am by no means a "beauty guru."

Anyway, my point is that I buy make-up like every time I go out.

Literally.

I almost constantly have swatches on my arm and, trust me, I get teased for it. The way I deal with these smug girls (and even the guys who are like "oh, you don't need make up" is that I simply say "I know, it's a hobby. I just love messing around with it." If they argue, I just kinda shrug and leave it at that. Usually they don't, though. We all have our own passions, y'know?

Prophet

I never wear makeup but honestly its because I have no idea how to. There are on occasion a few girls I see where I'm like "wow that's a little over the top for a tuesday morning" But it doesn't make me think less of a person. It's just the society that we live in.

Shirtless Seeker

I love make-up. I only do my eyes and lips though, and I hardly ever wear mascara. I'm deathly afraid that mascara is going to thin out my lashes or something if I use it daily. That's probably not true, but I get paranoid about a lot of things. I have a natural mascara I bought at a health food/product store and I'm still hesitant to use it.

I'm also hesitant to use foundation and blush and skin enhancing products like that. I want to enjoy makeup, but I don't want it become a crutch. I want to still like the way I look without make-up. If I see my skin looking flawless all the time, will I begin to not like the way it looks naturally? Is this a problem for other women who wear make-up? It could be something that I struggle with internally, because I do have self-esteem issues, and when I did wear a full face of make-up (beginning of highschool) I did become dependent on it to feel better about myself.

I found that if I wear a lipstick or gloss everyday, my lips start to peel and burn after a week or two. I bought a lipstick made of only natural ingredients back in July, and that doesn't have any negative effect on my lips. It's a shame natural products can be so costly.

Familiar Phantom

I don't wear make-up. I'm too lazy. I don't know how but more importantly I don't feel the need to right now. When I do I'll probably ask my mum and use Youtube and stuff.

I don't bash people who do wear make-up. Though I do think it's sad that prepubescent kids feel the need to to live up to what they think it is to be a girl or a woman.

There are people I know who I think wear more make-up than they need. One of them, I think it's a confidence thing. But it's their faces so I don't really care.

Also I think it's dead funny when people who wear make-up every day come in with no make-up and I'm thinking "woah what happened to your face oh it's just you don't have make-up on" (obviously I don't say this out loud), because I'm so used to them looking a certain way.

Friendly Bookworm

(Yeah, came back. Something had hit me on a small story I wanted to share)

I remember being in esthetics class and the other girls who were above 300 hours (Here, you have to be above 300 hours to practice on the public in school.) had a client coming in to get her makeup done for her wedding. One of the girls was a little nervous until my instructor told them that she'll be partnered up with a girl I recently became friends with from another class, I'll call her S. The original girl is A.

S is a rocker type girl. Heavy eye makeup but very well done. Her hair at the time was like Rogue from X-Men and she wore band t-shirts and all. A is an ex-cheerleader, into fashion and makeup, blonde hair, likes bright colors.

A and the other girls threw a fit that S was going to assist over how she dresses and her makeup. Even claiming "She'll give hte bride that hideous dark, gothy look on her eyes! ICK!"

I looked up from my book and said "And I bet S is thinking you're going to overload the bride in PINK." Everyone went silent in the room. I continued "How dare you judge someone by their looks and not their talent. I will also like to state that you don't even know your client coming in. What if the client does want a heavy eye makeup like S has for her wedding? Before you all start jumping to conclusions, why don't you keep your comments to yourself. I think S probably thinks your hair is hideous and you don't know how to do eyeliner."

I had told S about what happened. She was unamused with their reactions but she shrugged it off and said "Well, so sorry I look damn good. The bride walked out with lovely makeup for her big day today at least. Just as she wanted it."

Morale of the story: Don't base everything on their looks.

Shameless Man-Lover

I hate girls who don't like to wear make-up, therefor, judge girls who do wear it. It's like judging someone who likes to wear scarves just because you don't like to wear them/don't know how to style them.
If you don't want to wear make-up/don't want to learn how to apply it, fine. Just leave my face alone, and don't be jealous that I can apply make-up well. It's not hard to learn these days. I learned by watching make-up videos, and now I'm helping my mom learn different ways to apply make-up through videos as well. It's not that difficult.

Fluffy Lop

gawdddd it pisses me off. obviously they feel like the better person for not wearing makeup. good for them i guess.

some immature loser of a guy said i'm a "magician" with makeup cause i use fake eyelashes. i dont think he knows how common that s**t is nowadays

7,850 Points
  • Mark Twain 100
  • Megathread 100
  • Tycoon 200
I think it's silly that some girls would say these kinds of things. It's like how some fat girls bash skinny girls and say s**t like, "i'm bootifal, i dun need 2 lose w8, i dun wan be sum skinny anorexic b33ch" and that sort of jazz, when really they just don't want to get off their asses and do some exercise.
While I don't agree that people should feel threatened by makeup, I'm not a fan of cake faces either. Everything in moderation, guys. If you're recognizable if you take off all your makeup, you're good to go. If you look completely different and I can't recognize you right away, you're not good to go.

I do wear makeup, but it's mostly eye makeup, and I don't wear it very often (because I swim 5/7 days in a week). Just a bit of eyeliner, mascara, concealer (because I have the worst zombie eyes), and filling in my brows and I'm set.
Yeah I find this extremely strange.

I work in the fashion industry so it's absolutely normal for girls to come to work with a full face of makeup, false eyelashes included. And we all respect each other, so even though it's not my style I would never judge anyone for wearing makeup.

I guess it just comes down to insecurity and a lack of respect? Like whether someone else wears makeup or not is 1000000 kinds of not your business.

Dangerous Ladykiller

User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show. i'm one of those people that always wear makeup, and i mostly get positive comments on it. i did have a coworker a few years ago that would chastise me for it. "you really don't need to wear all that here", "don't hide your natural beauty", "you'd have so much more time to do worthwhile things if you didn't spend all day on your face" (fffff it takes me like 15-20 minutes). the few times i came to work with out makeup on she was the first person to ask me if i was feeling ok or tell me i looked tired/ sick. b***h, makeup yo damn mind!

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff