Welcome to Gaia! ::

Luminosus's Wife

Sparkly Cutie-Pie

15,350 Points
  • Grunny Rainbow 100
  • Grunny Grabber 50
  • Protector of Cuteness 150
At this point in my life, I wouldn't use it. It'd be a struggle to take care of an unplanned baby, but not the kind of hardship that a much poorer person or teenager would have.

But I can think of a few places near me where something like that would be useful. The previous poster was right, if you want to get rid of your baby, you'll find a way, and at least this offers people a way to do it that's safe for the baby. I don't think more women would be more flippant about getting pregnant just because there's a place to dump the baby; you'd still have to go through the pregnancy and childbirth, which aren't exactly easy or fun!
K-r-e-v-y-e-t-k-a
freelance lover
I mean, the US has this too, in safe surrender sites, like at fire stations and hospitals. I think that is ideal because then the baby can get immediate care and not wait in a box, but if they can't maintain a fully staff facility like that, I think the boxes are a good alternative.

I don't think this suggests "dumping you baby" as some people will suggest. Rather, it gives women an option if they feel they cannot care for their child. People already dump their babies, at least now they have a fighting chance. And the whole "why use birth control, I can just dump my baby" argument is stupid. You still have hospital bills and stuff if you carry to term, so it's not like you're getting away with nothing. That's still nine months of your life.

The cost of abortion is also pretty steep. (Although I'm glad for that)

It's better overall to just cough up money for birth control and take it regularly than to take any of those options.

Oh, I totally agree, which is why I'm in favor of better education about birth control in the first place in addition to easier access. Abortions can be pricy, and if you're carrying to term, even if you're going for adoption you're still looking at thousands of dollars in bills. That's why I think any argument about "they're start using it instead of birth control!" is stupid. That's not a practical alternative.

Receiver

User Image
I'm not carrying a baby for 9 months just to give it away. i'd just abort it

Sugary Cat

Baby boxes (they're called 'Babyklappe' or 'Babyfenster' here) are legal in Germany. Would I use them? If I were to get pregnant then probably so, that is if I wouldnt get an abortion in the first place. I REALLY dont want to have children.
MiameMiame
Baby boxes (they're called 'Babyklappe' or 'Babyfenster' here) are legal in Germany. Would I use them? If I were to get pregnant then probably so, that is if I wouldnt get an abortion in the first place. I REALLY dont want to have children.

Why wouldn't you go through the normal process of having the baby fostered/adopted at the time of birth?

Questionable Prophet

11,950 Points
  • Elocutionist 200
  • Megathread 100
  • Invisibility 100
Um, the U.S. has safe havens where you can drop off babies, no questions asked.

Big Member

9,800 Points
  • Tipsy 100
  • Mega Tipsy 100
  • Super Tipsy 200
I can't imagine an overpopulation issue being critical to that point anywhere else in the world.

Cluttered Cutesmasher

I think they are a good idea. There was a news report here a little while ago demonstrating how it works.
Looking through some of the posts here, I don't think people understand them very well.
While some countries have safe havens, they aren't always anonymous. Obviously thats the same for adoption.
Young or vulnerable women who are in a terrifying situation, scared of the consequences or backlash, may want to be anonymous. They could be victims of domestic violence, very young with disapproving parents etc. They clearly feel like adoption or safe dropping isn't an option, otherwise people wouldn't live their babies in bins, toilets etc (except those with severe mental illness that arn't thinking right).

Also baby boxes don't just leave the kid in there for hours to fend for themselves. They are heated, and as soon as it is closed on the outside, it triggers an alarm. Whoever closes it has a few minutes I believe to make themselves scarce. Then someone linked to adoption services can pick the baby up and it can receive immediate care.

My only issue with it, I don't know how it works if someone gives up the baby that isn't the parents and the parents want their baby back. Using the disapproving parents of a teenage mother example, for instance, what would happen if they put the baby in the box and the teenage mother knows nothing? Could she get it back or what?

Shameless Fatcat

And give birth? No, I would not.

Where I live, you can leave a baby in the hospital, a police station, or a fire station within the first seven days without it being a crime. So I suppose if I was on I Didn't Know I Was Pregnant then I would just leave it at the hospital and not come back for it.

Kawaii Sentai

User Image
User ImageUser Image

If my bc fails, and for some reason I cant abort (or its too late) I wouldnt mind using this method. Or just dropping them off at some firestation/hospital.

User ImageUser Image

Bloodthirsty Carnivore

27,550 Points
  • Hunter 50
  • Demonic Associate 100
  • Vicious Spirit 250
Only if I had one of those unnoticed pregnancies that you only find out about when you go into labor. Otherwise, those cells would be aborted the minute I find out about 'em. My body would not handle a pregnancy well. Neither would my sanity. But I think they're great for those who do go through with their pregnancies (for whatever the reason), but don't wish to keep the child and do not want people to know they had been pregnant and had a baby. Better than a dumpster or the back tank on a toilet or tossing them down a sewer grate. You know. Better than infanticide (and don't start that bs that abortion is infanticide. You have to be born first. A clump of cells ain't a baby so shh).

Fashionable Hunter

The Neon Paradox
My only issue with it, I don't know how it works if someone gives up the baby that isn't the parents and the parents want their baby back. Using the disapproving parents of a teenage mother example, for instance, what would happen if they put the baby in the box and the teenage mother knows nothing? Could she get it back or what?

I think that's the reason why South Korea doesn't allow adoption of babies abandoned like this/I think there's some rule about not being able to adopt a child whose parents are still alive there.

Enduring Phantom

This is why abortion and birth control should be readily accessible and legal

Sugary Cat

Flynn MacCumhaill
MiameMiame

Why wouldn't you go through the normal process of having the baby fostered/adopted at the time of birth?
Putting your baby in a babybox is faster and more anonymous than an adoption. Besides that you dont have to go through a long adoption process. It's a fast and inexpensive solution to the problem of having a baby you -dont want/cant take care of.
this is one of those things that makes me so uncomfortable.
i understand that some women might be in some drastic circumstances
but i could never imagine giving up my baby voluntarily. no way.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff