Welcome to Gaia! ::

Dapper Explorer

I usually don't wear makeup but I understand eyeliners, mascaras, blush, etc. But I don't understand foundations, and similar products. Whenever I have bought any form of foundation, it looks fake even though it is the right tone. I have pretty good skin and I want something that covers some blemishes and keeps my face from looking tired/ washed out. What product would be good? I don't want something too heavy.

Eloquent Vampire

Start with mineral foundations before moving to liquids. Liquids are the easiest to screw up and make look fake, and mineral foundations are the easiest to work with. I'm not talking pressed powder compacts, I mean actual mineral foundation, read the packages carefully. You can get them at drug stores now, or you can try more expensive options like Bare Minerals.

Match the colors to your chest, not your face. Your face and chest skin colors tend to vary, so by matching to your chest, there's less blending you have to do.

Make sure you're matching your undertones. Are you cool or warm toned? With pink or yellow undertones?

Dapper Explorer

Well, my skin color drastically changes from cold seasons to warm (tan super easily, olive skin)

Eloquent Vampire

xoxToxic_Rainbowsxox
Well, my skin color drastically changes from cold seasons to warm (tan super easily, olive skin)
So then you'll need several different shades. Or just try to maintain one skin tone.
If you already have good skin then you don't need foundation, try using concealer on top of blemishes and dark circles (Maybeline has decent drugstore quality concealers)!

Or you could try BB creams (google it if you don't know what it is) or simply tinted moisturizers!

Dapper Explorer

My face seems washed out in the winter. I just want my face to look fresher and even it out.
I tried BB creams, they work but a bit more coverage would be better. I bought this mineral makeup today, is it supposed to emphasizes any pores? (thats what it does for me).

Quotable Dabbler

4,350 Points
  • Person of Interest 200
  • Autobiographer 200
  • Peoplewatcher 100
I definitely suggest trying a beauty blender for a liquid foundation (you should watch youtube videos on the proper way to use them- makes all the difference in the world! gives a nice sheer healthy cover with a sort of dewy finish instead of dry because you're applying with water) and as someone else said, a BB cream is a great idea if you have good skin and don't need heavy coverage! I use drugstore (maybelline) BB cream and it works just fine for me. You can also mix your own using your liquid foundation combined with a facial moisturizer you like
heart heart

Quotable Dabbler

4,350 Points
  • Person of Interest 200
  • Autobiographer 200
  • Peoplewatcher 100
xoxToxic_Rainbowsxox
My face seems washed out in the winter. I just want my face to look fresher and even it out.
I tried BB creams, they work but a bit more coverage would be better. I bought this mineral makeup today, is it supposed to emphasizes any pores? (thats what it does for me).

You might want to try a toner underneath and as I said in my other post, the beauty blenders work WONDERS if you want a good, even, but light coverage and you'll get a dewy finish so it looks really fresh and brings the glow back to your skin!

Quotable Dabbler

4,350 Points
  • Person of Interest 200
  • Autobiographer 200
  • Peoplewatcher 100
highlighters are also great if you just want to add a little bit of glow to your skin.
I use a super light matte bronzer because I'm pale to emphasize my cheek bones, but if you have a more olive skin tone there are probably more options for you for a sweeping bronzer you could use to add glow if you like that look more than a highlighter. I really love Benefit's products, particularly the girl meets pearl highlighter and the Hula bronzer.

Eloquent Vampire

xoxToxic_Rainbowsxox
Use a primer underneath. Neutrogena makes one that I really like.

If you want more color and shape to your face, work on highlighting and contouring.

Dapper Explorer

PumpkinQu33n
xoxToxic_Rainbowsxox

You might want to try a toner underneath and as I said in my other post, the beauty blenders work WONDERS if you want a good, even, but light coverage and you'll get a dewy finish so it looks really fresh and brings the glow back to your skin!

I might do that. I think the mineral makeup I bought isn't very good.

Quotable Dabbler

4,350 Points
  • Person of Interest 200
  • Autobiographer 200
  • Peoplewatcher 100
xoxToxic_Rainbowsxox
PumpkinQu33n
xoxToxic_Rainbowsxox

I might do that. I think the mineral makeup I bought isn't very good.

The only mineral makeup I've liked is the bare minerals. Their starter kit is really good as far as price and I always liked that the coverage was build able, but if you feel your skin looks dull, powders usually will emphasize that unless your skin is moisturized really well.
good luck, qtttt.

Shameless Man-Lover

I suggest getting a primer if you are going to use foundation. I never wear foundation anymore without primer because of my pores and foundations have oxidized on me before, and the primer helped that a lot xD I like the Revlon Photoready color correcting (the pink one). I usually apply a lot, about two and a half to three pumps. Just smooth it on with your fingers like a moisturizer. Give it a few minutes to set before applying foundation.

If you have dull skin, try something maybe like L'oreal True Match Lumi foundation. They come in several shades and undertones. Your undertone is either warm, cool or neutral. However, if you are unsure, just use the neutral kind. If you go into a Walgreens, you can ask to see testers, and ask maybe if they can help you color match. Apply a lightly blended swipe of the make-up on your jaw slightly down your neck to see if it matches. You can just use your fingers to apply it, patting gently and blending well around your hair line and jaw line. Or, you can use a sponge like this. It's cheaper then most brushes, and gives you a very nice, bright finish.
Lastly, if you get oily, set the foundation with a little pressed powder, uncolored is fine, in the areas you get oil (nose, forehead, etc). Just gently press it into your skin with a brush. Don't rub or "brush" it on. I just use a clean blush brush that's flat-ish and gently dab it on. Don't over powder, but if you have a long day, you may want to buy a powder you can put into your purse with a mirror and a little brush so you can re-powder during the day if needed.
Good luck and don't give up! It can take some time to get used to/get it down just right. Look in the mirror often during the day and see how your foundation is wearing to make sure you like it as well :3

Ruthless Spirit

xoxToxic_Rainbowsxox

i would definitely recommend a good tinted moisturizer!
our faces seem to be similar ( relatively good skin, easily tanned, olive skin )
and what i found worked for me was laura mercier tinted moisturizer.
granted, it's a bit on the expensive side but you don't need to use a lot.
it's just the right amount of coverage to even out the skin tone, and if
i have any spots that are extra red or something i'll just use a concealer
to hide it.
i love that a little goes a long way with it and that it doesn't make your
face feel cakey at all. i've had mine since march of last year and it still
hasn't been completely finished ( granted, i stopped using it a little over
a month ago to start playing around with different foundations ).
Dampen your application tool of choice before applying your liquid foundation to get a more sheer effect. If it looks "fake", that usually means it's just going on in too thick a layer... (or it's the wrong tone, but you seem sure you've taken care of that one. >_o )

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff