Welcome to Gaia! ::

Rainbow Worshipper

30,100 Points
  • Alchemy Level 10 100
  • Elocutionist 200
  • Sausage Fest 200
Every now and then I get a PM from a user whose PMs are set to friends only. I'll try an alternative route of responding by going to comment on their profile, sometimes that is set to friends only also. I know you can also go quote them in a thread, but that's really going out of your way at that point. I know this gets super annoying really fast if you're selling an item and someone PMs you an offer you can work with but their PMs are private. classified_fu

What I propose is when users have their PMs set to friends only and they try to PM someone not on their friend's list they get a warning saying "so-and-so isn't in your friend's list so they won't be able to respond unless you become friends, are you sure you want to send this PM?" AND/OR maybe have it so they can have so that that user can be put on a 24-hour permit to where they can bypass the friend's only block if they check off a box or something. You could uncheck the box anytime you wanted.

I dunno how exactly Gaia would implement the latter idea, but I thought it was worth a shot. I'm up to what other Gaians think about this.

What I see a lot of users recommending which makes sense is,
users who have PMs set to friends should only be able to PM friends and Gaia Staff.

Seeker

7,300 Points
  • Battle: Mage 100
  • Full closet 200
  • Forum Regular 100
Sounds reasonable. I often forget my privacy settings, especially since I only use restrictions if I feel pestered with spam. I don't want to use the restrictions really, but I know that if I post in certain forums, I will be spammed relentlessly.

Lazy Krampus

12,300 Points
  • Friend of the Goat 100
  • Bloodsucking Bros 250
  • Happy 13th, Gaia Online! 50
There is a similar issue in the GCD.

Someone tried to deliver some avi art and couldn't because the person had a private profile and set PMs to friends only.

How is the art supposed to be delivered?

Demonic Lover

If you have set PMs to "friends only" you shouldn't be able to send PMs to people outside of your friendlist, that's how I see it x_x

Rainbow Worshipper

30,100 Points
  • Alchemy Level 10 100
  • Elocutionist 200
  • Sausage Fest 200
Bob Dobbs

Someone tried to deliver some avi art and couldn't because the person had a private profile and set PMs to friends only.

That's what inspired my thread, plus some personal experience of my own. 3nodding

Rainbow Worshipper

30,100 Points
  • Alchemy Level 10 100
  • Elocutionist 200
  • Sausage Fest 200
Viviette Valentine
If you have set PMs to "friends only" you shouldn't be able to send PMs to people outside of your friendlist, that's how I see it x_x

That is an alternative solution, seems a bit harsh to me though. emotion_sweatdrop

kennymap's Wife

Lunatic

People will also use this as a way to harass you too. It's pretty annoying. If you've got your PMs private, which you have to go to your account settings and turn on in the first place, don't PM other people. So a notice letting them know "Hey, you're set to friends only!" in big red bold letters could help.

Mysterious Trickster

momo-ai13
Viviette Valentine

That is an alternative solution, seems a bit harsh to me though. emotion_sweatdrop

I think that's perfectly reasonable.

Your suggestion works, too.

Either way, an update to the PM system is a good idea.

Heroic Millionaire

15,150 Points
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
  • Millionaire 200
  • Gender Swap 100
Oh my gosh yes! Please make this warning!
Tired of people pming me and then me not being able to reply back.

Lazy Krampus

12,300 Points
  • Friend of the Goat 100
  • Bloodsucking Bros 250
  • Happy 13th, Gaia Online! 50
momo-ai13
Bob Dobbs

That's what inspired my thread, plus some personal experience of my own. 3nodding

Sorry! sweatdrop
I'm slow and didn't see the connection. But I do agree with you.

Fluffy Bunny

23,150 Points
  • Beta Gaian 0
  • Bunny Spotter 50
  • Conventioneer 300
I like this idea a lot. I hate when people PM me and I can't reply because of that. I assume they forget. I know I have. This would help.

Eloquent Cutie-Pie

17,000 Points
  • Elocutionist 200
  • Protector of Cuteness 150
  • Senpai's Notice 100
and the same principle when someone comments you and they have a private profile... domokun stargate

Wintry Dragon

Definitely encountered that a few times. Annoying since I took the time to prepare a response only to have it thrown back to my face. sweatdrop

Saint Gekko

Unfortunately this change wont come to light unless gaia finds a way to monetize the PM system.

hollynoel's Bae

Kawaii Sex Symbol

Yes yes yes. This should be a thing...same with profile comments too. I feel so bad when someone wants to talk to me and they have their setting on friend's only. gonk
"Unless they find a way to monetize it, they won't do it" Can we not???????

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff