Welcome to Gaia! ::

Hello everyone. I thought of making a thread of where anyone and everyone can ask serious questions, and I or even some of people can try to answer them. I will try to answer them at the best of my ability. But if I can't, I will do more research on the subject. I love to answer questions and I love to learn about all the questions that people may have.

A little about what I believe:

-The earth is around 6,000 years old and the Heaven and the Earth was created in 6 days.
-Jesus is the only way to God.
-The Bible is God's Word and have no contradictions in it, but there are mistakes, such as Adam rebelling against God.
-There is only 1 God.
-And so forth.

Festive Dabbler

29,590 Points
  • Citizen 200
  • Megathread 100
  • Conversationalist 100
Could you clarify #3 for me please? By "mistake" do you mean it was the Bible's mistake (in that what it says about Adam rebelling against God is not accurate or factual) or that it was Adam's mistake to rebel against God? For the record, I've never heard anyone who called Christianity or the Bible into question because the people in it (not counting God and Jesus) are flawed - that would be stupid. An accurate book about human beings would have to report them making mistakes - if it didn't that would be proof that it's not accurate. And if you do mean that the Bible did make a mistake and report the event inaccurately, how can it be God's word - do you not believe that God is infallible (I'm not criticizing you if you believe that, I have just never heard of a Christian that did)? And how does that verified inaccuracy affect your ability to assume that the things in it that are not verifiable either way (which is a lot of it) are true?

Thank you! smile
catspook
Could you clarify #3 for me please? By "mistake" do you mean it was the Bible's mistake (in that what it says about Adam rebelling against God is not accurate or factual) or that it was Adam's mistake to rebel against God? For the record, I've never heard anyone who called Christianity or the Bible into question because the people in it (not counting God and Jesus) are flawed - that would be stupid. An accurate book about human beings would have to report them making mistakes - if it didn't that would be proof that it's not accurate. And if you do mean that the Bible did make a mistake and report the event inaccurately, how can it be God's word - do you not believe that God is infallible (I'm not criticizing you if you believe that, I have just never heard of a Christian that did)? And how does that verified inaccuracy affect your ability to assume that the things in it that are not verifiable either way (which is a lot of it) are true?

Thank you! smile

Mistake as in mistake caused by men. Adam rebelled against God, Cain murdering his brother Abel, David murdering someone's husband for his wife, and so forth.

Also, I read the Bible all the time, from beginning to the end for 12 years, since I was a Christian. I have seen no contradictions, but some translation errors because of either time, culture, or just translating into English can change a meaning of the word if someone is not careful.

Beloved Regular

8,750 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Tycoon 200
  • Millionaire 200
Living_for_the_Lord
-The earth is around 6,000 years old and the Heaven and the Earth was created in 6 days.

Oh diddly-dear.
The New Wineskin
Living_for_the_Lord

Oh diddly-dear.

What's wrong?

Beloved Regular

8,750 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Tycoon 200
  • Millionaire 200
Living_for_the_Lord
The New Wineskin
Living_for_the_Lord

Oh diddly-dear.

What's wrong?

The silly creationist belief that the Earth, which is without any doubt several millions of years old, is somehow six-thousand years old.

Aged Lunatic

What's your take on Paul's disrespect, to the point of nearly calling it treason against God, about the institution of marriage?

Festive Dabbler

29,590 Points
  • Citizen 200
  • Megathread 100
  • Conversationalist 100
Living_for_the_Lord
catspook

Thank you! smile

Mistake as in mistake caused by men. Adam rebelled against God, Cain murdering his brother Abel, David murdering someone's husband for his wife, and so forth.

Also, I read the Bible all the time, from beginning to the end for 12 years, since I was a Christian. I have seen no contradictions, but some translation errors because of either time, culture, or just translating into English can change a meaning of the word if someone is not careful.

I see.

Dapper Genius

5,875 Points
  • Person of Interest 200
  • Autobiographer 200
  • Dressed Up 200
Living_for_the_Lord

Contrary to all scientific evidence to the contrary?
There is no scientific evidence that the earth is any younger than the 4.5 billion years, give or take ten million years or so.
Evolution is a scientific fact. Claiming "macroevolution" is not helpful, as it is not a scientific term. It is a meaningless term brought up by science defiers to mean "platypus bears spontaneously coming into existance when a dog and cat have sex" or something equally ridiculous.

Living_for_the_Lord
-The Bible is God's Word and have no contradictions in it, but there are mistakes, such as Adam rebelling against God.

The bible has plenty of contradictions in it.
That you need to cling to the factual inerrance of a bible written by people who have no understanding of what they're talking about (bats are birds, pi is exactly three, man was made before animals but after animals {per genesis 1 and 2}) is really concerning. The bible is full of contradictions.
Living_for_the_Lord

Not sure if trolling, or not.

-Why do you think that the earth is only 6,000 old? Do you not think science is fully capable of determining a more accurate measurement than a book written by some half-illiterate prophet? You say that there are mistakes, could this not also be a "mistake"? How do you explain evolution? How do you explain the fact that we are still discovering human bones from much prior than that? Do you have any evidence to support this claim?

Quote:

-Are you aware that men have created this book? Are you aware that men have changed this book? Are you aware of different transcripts, which point out the individual changes in the Bible over time, and the lack of an "original Bible"? The Bible has been changed. Does this mean that God's word has also changed? Or was God word wrong at first, or is it wrong now? What makes this God's word?

Prodigal Mage

Living_for_the_Lord
I have seen no contradictions,

"I have deliberately ignored and fluffed away contradictions for the sake of my baseless assumptions, just as I have ignored and fluffed away all proof of evolution and an ancient earth so I can continue to believe the Genesis story as literal truth."

Quote:
but some translation errors because of either time, culture, or just translating into English can change a meaning of the word if someone is not careful.

In other words, you've seen contradictions but have decided to excuse them, because somehow God was able to supply a perfect text that perfectly reflected his will and desire, but was unable to maintain that perfection as that text was translated and culture changed around it.

Wealthy Millionaire

haunting heaven
Living_for_the_Lord

"I have deliberately ignored and fluffed away contradictions for the sake of my baseless assumptions, just as I have ignored and fluffed away all proof of evolution and an ancient earth so I can continue to believe the Genesis story as literal truth."

Quote:
but some translation errors because of either time, culture, or just translating into English can change a meaning of the word if someone is not careful.

In other words, you've seen contradictions but have decided to excuse them, because somehow God was able to supply a perfect text that perfectly reflected his will and desire, but was unable to maintain that perfection as that text was translated and culture changed around it.

Well this seems kind of biased.

Prodigal Mage

IVovacane
haunting heaven
Living_for_the_Lord

Quote:

Point?

Dedicated Firestarter

23,975 Points
  • Blazing Power of Friendship Wave 200
  • Comrades in Arms 150
  • Firestarter 200
Living_for_the_Lord

So you condone and enjoy the thought of killing children and pregant women good to know. Farewell.

Wealthy Millionaire

haunting heaven
IVovacane
haunting heaven
Living_for_the_Lord

Quote:

Point?

The point is that your post was pretty biased. Did you not understand? neutral

You're assuming that he saw the "contradictions" yet ignored them without a second thought . Its pretty much hasty generalization. you not only did this but you also made him seem like a complete fool for not believing in Evolution for the sake of believing in the book of Genesis. I mean, what can you say about atheists that don't even believe in Evolution?

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff