Alien Dog

17,850 Points
  • Citizen 200
  • Voter 100
  • Mark Twain 100
Roy Cura
Mayor Gravity
Roy Cura
I'm not opposed to GMO's, and I think it's a bad idea to ban them. I hope more states do not follow.
Why are you opposed to them?

I mean, if my food can give me cancer, I have a problem.

GMO's are not the only foods that can give you cancer. Trust me on that. Plenty of foods and substances which we eat day to day cause cancer.

"Artificial" and "cancer" do not come hand in hand.

The thing with GMO's is that they often have more nutrition than other foods. I recall hearing a story lately about a strain of rice that has been modified to produce vitamin A. Once mass produced, it could save many lives in poor nations where people die from vitamin A deficiency.

Isn't vitamin A one of the ones that can be more easily overdosed on? Like, the excesses don't just run out when you take a leak ( like vitamin C, for instance ), but store up in your liver and fat instead, with the potential to reach toxic levels?

I'm pretty sure it's in that category of vitamins that, whereas deficiencies are bad, a surplus is dangerous.

Big Member

10,675 Points
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
  • Noob wrangler 100
  • Brandisher 100
Keltoi Samurai
Roy Cura
Mayor Gravity
Roy Cura
I'm not opposed to GMO's, and I think it's a bad idea to ban them. I hope more states do not follow.

GMO's are not the only foods that can give you cancer. Trust me on that. Plenty of foods and substances which we eat day to day cause cancer.

The thing with GMO's is that they often have more nutrition than other foods. I recall hearing a story lately about a strain of rice that has been modified to produce vitamin A. Once mass produced, it could save many lives in poor nations where people die from vitamin A deficiency.

Isn't vitamin A one of the ones that can be more easily overdosed on? Like, the excesses don't just run out when you take a leak ( like vitamin C, for instance ), but store up in your liver and fat instead, with the potential to reach toxic levels?

I'm pretty sure it's in that category of vitamins that, whereas deficiencies are bad, a surplus is dangerous.

Maybe. I'm not advocating that people eat unhealthy amounts of food. But if you need a vitamin A source, then you need a vitamin A source.

Alien Dog

17,850 Points
  • Citizen 200
  • Voter 100
  • Mark Twain 100
Roy Cura
Keltoi Samurai
Roy Cura
Mayor Gravity
Roy Cura

Maybe. I'm not advocating that people eat unhealthy amounts of food. But if you need a vitamin A source, then you need a vitamin A source.

Agreed, but a moderate level vitamin like A probably belongs in something other than a staple food like rice, wouldn't you think?

Big Member

10,675 Points
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
  • Noob wrangler 100
  • Brandisher 100
Keltoi Samurai
Roy Cura
Keltoi Samurai
Roy Cura
Mayor Gravity
Roy Cura

Agreed, but a moderate level vitamin like A probably belongs in something other than a staple food like rice, wouldn't you think?

Probably. I'm guessing there was a specific advantage to putting the vitamin A in rice. Maybe it was the easiest to genetically modify, or the most efficient process for yielding vitamin A. Also, people don't have to subsist entirely on this particular strain of rice. I'm sure they could mix it with regular rice.

Alien Dog

17,850 Points
  • Citizen 200
  • Voter 100
  • Mark Twain 100
Roy Cura
Keltoi Samurai
Roy Cura
Keltoi Samurai
Roy Cura

Probably. I'm guessing there was a specific advantage to putting the vitamin A in rice. Maybe it was the easiest to genetically modify, or the most efficient process for yielding vitamin A. Also, people don't have to subsist entirely on this particular strain of rice. I'm sure they could mix it with regular rice.

I figure the advantage was that it's rice, y'know? I mean, it's cheap and easy to grow, can be grown in large quantities in little time . . . and about the only things it really lacks naturally are vitamins A and C.

I'd still be leery of the possibility of accidental megadosing, but it seems to already be something of a wonderfood that with just a little bit of tweakage could probably do amazing things toward world nutrition while not cutting into crops raised for energy reasons.

Evolved Hunter

Mayor Gravity
Roy Cura

Generally you're not going to get cancer from consuming something if you're not consuming it in excess. I can't brain enough to discuss the possible connection between foods and cancer, but I will say that if you don't die of cancer, you'll die of something else.

Destructive Detective

19,200 Points
  • Bunny Spotter 50
  • Elocutionist 200
  • Cat Fancier 100
Keltoi Samurai
Roy Cura
Keltoi Samurai
Roy Cura
Keltoi Samurai
Roy Cura

I figure the advantage was that it's rice, y'know? I mean, it's cheap and easy to grow, can be grown in large quantities in little time . . . and about the only things it really lacks naturally are vitamins A and C.

I'd still be leery of the possibility of accidental megadosing, but it seems to already be something of a wonderfood that with just a little bit of tweakage could probably do amazing things toward world nutrition while not cutting into crops raised for energy reasons.
Golden rice contains beta-carotene, a vitamin A precursor, and apparently the body only converts as much A as it needs from it, making overdosing impossible. Too much supplemental beta-carotene may cause problems for smokers, but I suspect that for those whom rice may be the only food available/affordable, tobacco is an unheard-of luxury.
http://umm.edu/Health/Medical/AltMed/Supplement/Betacarotene

Beloved Lunatic

I say about time GMO's get banned. I absolutely hope more people follow this act. People need to research further into GMO's before they start having opinions on them though. Most people have no idea what they are... And republican, old white men, hicks, need to stop dictating politics. Nothing gets done when no one is willing to listen to the other side of things. wahmbulance

Bloodthirsty Carnivore

27,550 Points
  • Hunter 50
  • Demonic Associate 100
  • Vicious Spirit 250
They need to label all products with GMOs (or products that consumed GMOs) so consumers can make that decision for themselves. Maybe even go so far as to say which GMOs were used. Let the consumer decide if they want to eat it or not. Also publish all findings on research so people can make INFORMED decisions. I'd prefer that more research be done on them by outside sources not paid by the companies making the GMOs before they make their way to the consumer's table. And for longer periods than the companies tend to look at. I can't jump completely on the 'they're all bad' or 'they're fine' bandwagon without more data. And ones that are showing to be detrimental to consumer health need to be taken off the market. If there is a question to it, with data showing that more research needs to be done, that doesn't mean it's okay to keep them on the market until they get the all clear or the ax. They need to stop playing games with people's health and lives. Be certain it isn't adding to people's health problems. As I said, I'm not outright against them, but I want to know more about them.

Questionable Borg

Ratttking
Mayor Gravity
Roy Cura

Better avoid potatoes then, as they can produce carcinogens if you cook them on high heat, oh, except for a GM variety awaiting final approval that is designed to prevent the accumulation of acrylamide.
Well, it's a good thing I'm a not a big fan of potatoes then.

And while that may be true about the final approval thing, if it's lead by Monsanto, I don't trust it.

Questionable Borg

Roy Cura
Mayor Gravity
Roy Cura

I didn't mean artificial foods were the only thing that caused cancer, but they certainly don't help.

Questionable Borg

Glorious Leader Luna
Mayor Gravity
Roy Cura

Dogs can give you breast cancer
Good thing I don't have any pets whatsoever then. Aint it?

Questionable Borg

Super Fightin Robot
Mayor Gravity
Roy Cura

Generally you're not going to get cancer from consuming something if you're not consuming it in excess. I can't brain enough to discuss the possible connection between foods and cancer, but I will say that if you don't die of cancer, you'll die of something else.
Of course. That's typically how the world works.

Big Member

10,675 Points
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
  • Noob wrangler 100
  • Brandisher 100
Ratttking
Golden rice contains beta-carotene, a vitamin A precursor, and apparently the body only converts as much A as it needs from it, making overdosing impossible. Too much supplemental beta-carotene may cause problems for smokers, but I suspect that for those whom rice may be the only food available/affordable, tobacco is an unheard-of luxury.
http://umm.edu/Health/Medical/AltMed/Supplement/Betacarotene

Science is golden.

Big Member

10,675 Points
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
  • Noob wrangler 100
  • Brandisher 100
Mayor Gravity
Roy Cura
Mayor Gravity
Roy Cura

I didn't mean artificial foods were the only thing that caused cancer, but they certainly don't help.

So any GMO, regardless of what it is, can only increase your chances of getting cancer? Avoiding cancer is not the only aspect of health, either. As I stated earlier, a lot of GMO's have extra nutrients in them.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff